Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

headcase
Sep 28, 2001

Carecat posted:

The ASUS ROG Maximus X Hero is a bit overkill unless you have a particular need for any of it's features? You could cut $70 swapping to an Asus STRIX motherboard and put that into an AIO water cpu cooler. The 800 is a big case.

Thanks so much for the review. I thought I had a mid case picked. I also agree with the motherboard. I'll take a closer look when I get home. I just took the higher end option from the quick picks in the OP, and thought the price was OK.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

headcase
Sep 28, 2001

Llamadeus posted:

The U12S isn't particularly good from a pure value standpoint either, there are some well regarded cheaper coolers that outperform the U12S like these:

https://pcpartpicker.com/product/8GBrxr/scythe-mugen-5-rev-b-512-cfm-cpu-cooler-scmg-5100
https://pcpartpicker.com/product/4TCrxr/thermalright-cpu-cooler-machorevb

The bigger Noctua U14S is close in price too.

How about that water cooler that good will got?

BIG HEADLINE
Jun 13, 2006

"Stand back, Ottawan ruffian, or face my lumens!"
The ASUS Z370-G is a good upper-mid-range board.

Llamadeus
Dec 20, 2005

headcase posted:

How about that water cooler that good will got?
It's fine, though iirc larger air coolers generally outperform smaller AIOs in cooling to noise ratio.

Apollodorus
Feb 13, 2010

TEST YOUR MIGHT
:patriot:
How important is RAM speed? Will there be a big performance increase from 2666 to 3000? From 3000 to 3200?

Rexxed
May 1, 2010

Dis is amazing!
I gotta try dis!

Apollodorus posted:

How important is RAM speed? Will there be a big performance increase from 2666 to 3000? From 3000 to 3200?

It depends on what you're running. For games it's usually a few % extra FPS. DDR4-3000 is often recommended because it doesn't cost a lot more than DDR4-2666 but gets you a little boost for a little money. There's main reasons to go faster than that are if you're using AMD Ryzen (where the infinity fabric that joins the CCX units benefits from RAM speed) or if you're going for "money doesn't matter give me absolute top performance" since the ratio of price to performance will not be good.

BIG HEADLINE
Jun 13, 2006

Higher RAM speed is most beneficial for games, as others have said - but where it helps the most is boosting minimum FPS, not so much max FPS. The higher your minimum FPS, the smoother your overall experience is going to be.

ufarn
May 30, 2009

Apollodorus posted:

I posted a couple of links about that on the last page fwiw.

Apollodorus
Feb 13, 2010

TEST YOUR MIGHT
:patriot:

ufarn posted:

I posted a couple of links about that on the last page fwiw.

Ah right, thanks! I’ll look into it. The premium going from 2666 to 3000 is really not very high.

the nucas
Sep 12, 2002

BIG HEADLINE posted:

The Z370G is a very good mATX board. Custom ASUS sound codec based off the S1220A, Intel NIC, twin M.2 slots (one vertically-oriented) on the same side of the motherboard (kind of a rarity on mATX without it being on the back), USB 3.1 Gen 2 (albeit Type A slots only)...it's got a good collection of features. EVGA makes a very solid mATX Z370 board...but they chose to give it only two DIMM slots, which is a killer for me.

As for mATX case options, I've always been partial to the Corsair Air series simply because they can be side-oriented, have an absolute ton of interior space (as well as a two-chambered setup for easy PSU cable routing), and have excellent airflow potential: https://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16811139044&cm_re=corsair_air-_-11-139-044-_-Product

Also I think they just look snazzy. :D

any thoughts on the comparable msi mATX offering? it looks pretty equivalent feature wise to the asus to my lay eyes.

WeedlordGoku69
Feb 12, 2015

by Cyrano4747
Is EVGA's B-stock stuff legit? I'm considering possibly grabbing a 1060 with some of my tax return money, and they have hands loving down the best price.

It sounds like I'm just getting a card with cosmetic scuffs and whatnot that still works fine, but I'm still worried, the prices they're charging are definitely well into "too good to be true" levels.

BIG HEADLINE
Jun 13, 2006

the nucas posted:

any thoughts on the comparable msi mATX offering? it looks pretty equivalent feature wise to the asus to my lay eyes.

I'm sure it'll perform the same, I'm just a bit more partial to ASUS. It's a personal preference, owing entirely to the fact that I'm typing on a 6+ year old ASUS Z68 board right now, and I've never had anything from them go bad on me. What *did* (a Nexus 7 tablet), was replaced rather promptly by their RMA department, which I've heard can be more miss than hit.

Rexxed
May 1, 2010

Dis is amazing!
I gotta try dis!

LORD OF BOOTY posted:

Is EVGA's B-stock stuff legit? I'm considering possibly grabbing a 1060 with some of my tax return money, and they have hands loving down the best price.

It sounds like I'm just getting a card with cosmetic scuffs and whatnot that still works fine, but I'm still worried, the prices they're charging are definitely well into "too good to be true" levels.

Yeah their B-Stock stuff is fine. I bought a GTX 970 from EVGA B-Stock in 2015 and used it for 2.5 years. They don't come with accessories but they do have a one year warranty.

Sacred Cow
Aug 13, 2007

the nucas posted:

I just finished my build with this MB. I was back and forth between the MSI and Asus (was running on an Asus P8Z77-M previously) but decided i didn't see an extra $20 of value in the Asus board. The only real disadvantage I can see is the MSI having 4 SATA ports vs 6 on the Asus.

headcase
Sep 28, 2001

Thanks so much for all the feedback. I used it to come up with this list. Anything else worth tweaking? I'm still not sure about the cooler. That one gets good reviews though.

Intel Core i7-8700K Coffee Lake 6-Core 3.7 GHz (4.7 GHz Turbo) LGA 1151 (300 Series) 95W BX80684I78700K Desktop ..
$359.99

ASUS ROG Strix Z370-E Gaming LGA 1151 (300 Series) Intel Z370 HDMI SATA 6Gb/s USB 3.1 ATX Intel Motherboard
$209.99

G.SKILL Ripjaws V Series 32GB (4 x 8GB) 288-Pin DDR4 SDRAM DDR4 3600 (PC4 28800) Intel Z170 / Z270 / Z370 / X299 Desktop ...
$440.99

Fractal Design Define R5 Titanium Silent ATX Midtower Computer Case
$109.99

Seasonic FOCUS Plus Series SSR-850FX 850W 80+ Gold ATX12V & EPS12V Full Modular 120mm FDB Fan Compact 140 mm Size Power ...
$119.99

be quiet! DARK ROCK 3 SilentWings CPU Cooler 190W TDP
$74.90

Subtotal: $1,315.85

Dead Goon
Dec 13, 2002

No Obvious Flaws

headcase posted:

Thanks so much for all the feedback. I used it to come up with this list. Anything else worth tweaking? I'm still not sure about the cooler. That one gets good reviews though.

Intel Core i7-8700K Coffee Lake 6-Core 3.7 GHz (4.7 GHz Turbo) LGA 1151 (300 Series) 95W BX80684I78700K Desktop ..
$359.99

ASUS ROG Strix Z370-E Gaming LGA 1151 (300 Series) Intel Z370 HDMI SATA 6Gb/s USB 3.1 ATX Intel Motherboard
$209.99

G.SKILL Ripjaws V Series 32GB (4 x 8GB) 288-Pin DDR4 SDRAM DDR4 3600 (PC4 28800) Intel Z170 / Z270 / Z370 / X299 Desktop ...
$440.99

Fractal Design Define R5 Titanium Silent ATX Midtower Computer Case
$109.99

Seasonic FOCUS Plus Series SSR-850FX 850W 80+ Gold ATX12V & EPS12V Full Modular 120mm FDB Fan Compact 140 mm Size Power ...
$119.99

be quiet! DARK ROCK 3 SilentWings CPU Cooler 190W TDP
$74.90

Subtotal: $1,315.85

I seem to remember you mentioning high-end gaming and work - which of those needs 32GB of RAM (you never actually mentioned what sort of work)?

Dead Goon fucked around with this message at 15:42 on Feb 14, 2018

Arivia
Mar 17, 2011
Fractal Design just released the Define R6, which is a strict upgrade to the R5 in pretty much every way.

headcase
Sep 28, 2001

Neither, really. The only reason for that is that I have 32gb now (from when they were giving ram away).

In previous builds, I end up needing more ram a few years later, and have had trouble finding something that matches, and end up replacing it all.

Edit: I work in data science, so I do use a lot of RAM for R and python, but I'm generally working remotely on a machine that has 64gb

headcase fucked around with this message at 15:51 on Feb 14, 2018

the nucas
Sep 12, 2002

Sacred Cow posted:

I just finished my build with this MB. I was back and forth between the MSI and Asus (was running on an Asus P8Z77-M previously) but decided i didn't see an extra $20 of value in the Asus board. The only real disadvantage I can see is the MSI having 4 SATA ports vs 6 on the Asus.

is there any way to turn off the red leds that apparently glow on the underside of the board? i'm kind of over useless lights.

Sacred Cow
Aug 13, 2007

the nucas posted:

is there any way to turn off the red leds that apparently glow on the underside of the board? i'm kind of over useless lights.

From what I've read you have to use the MSI RGB software utility that control the RGB headers. I haven't bothered since my case doesn't have a window on the side so never see it.

Bhodi
Dec 9, 2007

Oh, it's just a cat.
Pillbug
Anyone have experience with compact, quiet air-cooled ATX cases? Is there anything better than the Carbide 400Q? Most cases seem roughly similar since ATX+PS limits vertical size and I'm not interested in the width of a cube, so I guess it's down to mostly styling? Featureless would be better than not.

I read complaints on parts picker that the top fans can interfere with CPU coolers, and even their own corsair cpu cooler didn't fit unless you moved the stock fans. Any different/better recommendations for a case (and CPU fan to match) for a Z370 MB that I intend to overclock?

Domus
May 7, 2007

Kidney Buddies
I guess here is as good a place as any to ask: What's with pentium chipsets? My husband seems to dismiss them out of hand because they're pentium, but if they'll work for building a gaming platform, and they're a good price, what's not to like?

When you post, tell us the following:

What country are you in? USA
What are you using the system for: Living room gaming system. Trying to play 3d games on my laptop is making me motion sick.
What's your budget? Hoping to keep it under 800. For sure under 1000.
If you’re doing professional work, what software do you need to use: It's not professional, but I'm basicly building a steambox
If you're gaming, what is your monitor resolution: Living room TV. Um, it's not 4k, so whatever basic HD is?

M_Gargantua
Oct 16, 2006

STOMP'N ON INTO THE POWERLINES

Exciting Lemon

Dead Goon posted:

I seem to remember you mentioning high-end gaming and work - which of those needs 32GB of RAM (you never actually mentioned what sort of work)?

On my desktop I normally idle about 6GB, use about 14GB in normal use, and around 24GB peak, so wanting a 2x16 or 4x8 is no longer an odd choice, even on a purely gaming PC. A 16GB 4600 kit costs as much as a 32GB 3400 Kit, so if you have the money you may as well get 32GB. We are all hoping for a drop in ram prices anyway.

M_Gargantua
Oct 16, 2006

Exciting Lemon

Domus posted:

I guess here is as good a place as any to ask: What's with pentium chipsets? My husband seems to dismiss them out of hand because they're pentium, but if they'll work for building a gaming platform, and they're a good price, what's not to like?

The Intel's are superior at the moment, and have been for a long time, so you can say that your husbands opinion is nearly a decade out of date. With Ryzen AMD trying to make a viable alternative at the mid range prices. Right now building a gaming PC is a pain due to the price fixing in the Ram market and the crypto coins inflating GPU prices by 300%. If you find a modern GPU for MSRP you can go ahead and do a build right now, otherwise I'd recommend you hold on the build until either GPU prices return to normal, or try to find a deal on last generations cards.

You'd likely be very happy with an i5-8400, 16GB of DDR4-2400, and Ideally a GTX 1070 (But you're not going to get one for a reasonable price right now.) Instead I've linked with a 1050, which will be enough for your 1080p TV, no promises on how well it will do with 3D or VR though, only "Well enough". Going with only 8GB of RAM would likely also be fine, and would save you $70

Like this: https://pcpartpicker.com/list/nMLLr6

With maybe either an upgrade to a 1TB SSD or the addition of a separate 1-4TB normal harddrive. Case is a simple and cheep one for a home theater gaming rig. Your budget is hard to hit with the current price issues that I mentioned. Your other option is to look for a small prebuilt, using a 7000 series intel that can be found for around $600-750.

Edit: If the husband won't budge on an AMD build: https://pcpartpicker.com/list/YMR9TB, and shop around for AMD video cards I guess.

M_Gargantua fucked around with this message at 23:04 on Feb 14, 2018

Kintamarama
Oct 3, 2013

the nucas posted:

This is the board I picked up too. With all the windows 7 talk recently, I thought I'd mention that this board has a windows 7 compatibility mode, so you don't have to muck around with getting windows 7 running. I did the in-place update with the windows media creator blissfully unaware that windows 7 shouldn't have run at all on this chipset. Just a massive stroke of dumb luck.

Edit. I should mention too that the USB drivers didn't auto install in windows 7, nor did the lan drivers, so I had to download the lan drivers to a spare hard drive and connect it via SATA so I could get the in place upgrade up and running.

Kintamarama fucked around with this message at 21:33 on Feb 14, 2018

BIG HEADLINE
Jun 13, 2006

Domus posted:

When you post, tell us the following:

What country are you in? USA
What are you using the system for: Living room gaming system. Trying to play 3d games on my laptop is making me motion sick.
What's your budget? Hoping to keep it under 800. For sure under 1000.
If you’re doing professional work, what software do you need to use: It's not professional, but I'm basicly building a steambox
If you're gaming, what is your monitor resolution: Living room TV. Um, it's not 4k, so whatever basic HD is?

There have been really good deals recently on pre-builts, and those are the only place you're going to get a decent graphics card at/near cost unless you've got a Micro Center nearby that participates in that "buy an entire system's worth of parts and we'll sell you a GPU at MSRP" program.

Twerk from Home
Jan 17, 2009

This avatar brought to you by the 'save our dead gay forums' foundation.

M_Gargantua posted:

The Intel's are superior at the moment, and have been for a long time, so you can say that your husbands opinion is nearly a decade out of date. With Ryzen AMD trying to make a viable alternative at the mid range prices. Right now building a gaming PC is a pain due to the price fixing in the Ram market and the crypto coins inflating GPU prices by 300%. If you find a modern GPU for MSRP you can go ahead and do a build right now, otherwise I'd recommend you hold on the build until either GPU prices return to normal, or try to find a deal on last generations cards.

You'd likely be very happy with an i5-8400, 16GB of DDR4-2400, and Ideally a GTX 1070 (But you're not going to get one for a reasonable price right now.) Instead I've linked with a 1050, which will be enough for your 1080p TV, no promises on how well it will do with 3D or VR though, only "Well enough". Going with only 8GB of RAM would likely also be fine, and would save you $70

Like this: https://pcpartpicker.com/list/nMLLr6

With maybe either an upgrade to a 1TB SSD or the addition of a separate 1-4TB normal harddrive. Case is a simple and cheep one for a home theater gaming rig. Your budget is hard to hit with the current price issues that I mentioned. Your other option is to look for a small prebuilt, using a 7000 series intel that can be found for around $600-750.

Edit: If the husband won't budge on an AMD build: https://pcpartpicker.com/list/YMR9TB, and shop around for AMD video cards I guess.

Where are you getting Intel from? I think the question is Pentium vs Core-branded Intel CPUs, in which case you should probably get a Core i3 right now because dual cores are going to feel really dated soon.

Thom P. Tiers
May 29, 2008

Red Birds
Red Ass
Red Text

Domus posted:

M_Gargantua posted:

The Intel's are superior at the moment, and have been for a long time, so you can say that your husbands opinion is nearly a decade out of date. With Ryzen AMD trying to make a viable alternative at the mid range prices.

I'm reading this as the husband thinks Intel Pentiums are garbage (which they sort of are, especially for gaming). I don't think the husband has anything against Intel, just the Pentium line that they offer. The Intel Core line is certainly the way to go for gaming. An AMD Ryzen build is certainly fine these days as well. Don't get a Pentium.

M_Gargantua
Oct 16, 2006

Exciting Lemon

Twerk from Home posted:

Where are you getting Intel from? I think the question is Pentium vs Core-branded Intel CPUs, in which case you should probably get a Core i3 right now because dual cores are going to feel really dated soon.

Yeah this puts it in simple words, Pentiums are fine, but why would you get one when he 8400 exists. I would only consider Pentiums in applications where you weren’t going to need any GPU, which makes them great for NAS or stream boxes

E; and I was also operating on the assumption that it sounded like the opinion had been formed back when all intel chips were pentiums, and being used as a catch all term.

Calef
Aug 21, 2007

Hi Goons. I'd appreciate a sanity check here.

First of all, I'd like some validation that cpusolutions.com isn't a scam. I don't really have the time or energy to build a machine myself from pcpartspicker.

Second, I want to be sure I'm not doing anything stupid with this build.

•Intel Core i7 7700K Kaby Lake 4.2 GHz Processor - Quad-Core
•Liquid CPU Cooler (Corsair H60)
•Intel B250 Chipset MSI Desktop Motherboard - Socket 1151
•Maximum Memory: 32 GB
•Audio Channels: HD 7.1
•Total Number of USB Ports: 8 (4 USB 3.1, 1 USB 3.0 and 3 USB 2.0)
•Audio Ports: Audio Line In, Audio Line Out, Microphone Port
•Video Ports: DVI, HDMI, DisplayPort
•Network Ports: Wired 10/100/1000
•Wi-Fi Adapter. Wireless AC 600MBPS
•32 GB DDR4 2133MHz RAM
•Samsung 1000GB SSD Drive
•2000GB 7200 RPM HDD
•DVDRW Optical Drive
•Nvidia GTX 1070 w/8GB Video Memory
•Corsair Carbide Series SPEC-03 Blue LED Mid-Tower Gaming Case
•ThermalTake Bronze Certified 85% Effeciency 750w Power Supply

One of my core use cases is podcast recording and so it's important that the machine not be extremely loud. I'll also be using it for gaming and streaming and video editing.

You can get much better CPUs from pcpartspicker.com but it seems like cpusolutions.com tops out at roughly quad-core 4.2 GHz processors. I'm not really sure whether this ought to be a dealbreaker or not.

The liquid cooling system is also something I'm a bit nervous about. I've never really dealt with one before and don't know what it entails.

mega dy
Dec 6, 2003

Apologies if this has been asked and answered (I suspect it has!).

There are very limited options for premium Z370 mITX boards. The OP recommends the ASRock Z370M-ITX/ac. Is there a reason it chooses this over the Asus ROG Strix Z370-I Gaming? Does it just come down to the ASRock being similar enough and cheaper?

edit: drat memory really is crazy expensive. Compared to my last build ~5 years ago the memory is about 5x the cost.

mega dy fucked around with this message at 00:53 on Feb 15, 2018

headcase
Sep 28, 2001

Calef posted:

First of all, I'd like some validation that cpusolutions.com isn't a scam. I don't really have the time or energy to build a machine myself from pcpartspicker.

edit: oops didn't see it there.

orcane
Jun 13, 2012

Fun Shoe

Calef posted:

[...]
One of my core use cases is podcast recording and so it's important that the machine not be extremely loud. I'll also be using it for gaming and streaming and video editing.

You can get much better CPUs from pcpartspicker.com but it seems like cpusolutions.com tops out at roughly quad-core 4.2 GHz processors. I'm not really sure whether this ought to be a dealbreaker or not.

The liquid cooling system is also something I'm a bit nervous about. I've never really dealt with one before and don't know what it entails.

I can't tell you about that website but the build is using outdated hardware (which doesn't save you much money). If you're spending that much you should be getting the newer parts like Z370 chipset mainboards and 8th generation Core CPU (eg. i7 8700k instead of 7700k), also faster DDR4 RAM (up to about 3000 MHz the price increase over eg. 2400 is not significant).

M_Gargantua posted:

Yeah this puts it in simple words, Pentiums are fine, but why would you get one when he 8400 exists. I would only consider Pentiums in applications where you weren’t going to need any GPU, which makes them great for NAS or stream boxes

E; and I was also operating on the assumption that it sounded like the opinion had been formed back when all intel chips were pentiums, and being used as a catch all term.

You mean when the i3 8100 exists. The i5 is not really in the same price range.

Pentiums are okay but if you're building a PC for gaming you have better options unless you have to penny pinch. The older 2 core/2 thread Pentiums up to Skylake could be used for low cost gaming but then games started to ask for more than two threads or they refused running. The Kaby Lake Pentiums had hyperthreading like the i3 so you could actually play modern games too. Since then they have 2 cores/4 threads but the newest i3 has 4/4 and isn't much more expensive. Beyond cheap pre-builts or second hand stuff, if you want low cost gaming right now, you could also get a Ryzen 3 APU which actually lets you skip having to buy some basic $50 GPU to play more than Solitaire.

PIZZA.BAT
Nov 12, 2016

:cheers:

I've noticed that there's no recommendations for microphones in the OP. Does anyone have a recommendation for a decent desktop mic?

Arivia
Mar 17, 2011

Calef posted:

•Intel Core i7 7700K Kaby Lake 4.2 GHz Processor - Quad-Core
•Liquid CPU Cooler (Corsair H60)
•Intel B250 Chipset MSI Desktop Motherboard - Socket 1151
•Maximum Memory: 32 GB
•Audio Channels: HD 7.1
•Total Number of USB Ports: 8 (4 USB 3.1, 1 USB 3.0 and 3 USB 2.0)
•Audio Ports: Audio Line In, Audio Line Out, Microphone Port
•Video Ports: DVI, HDMI, DisplayPort
•Network Ports: Wired 10/100/1000
•Wi-Fi Adapter. Wireless AC 600MBPS
•32 GB DDR4 2133MHz RAM
•Samsung 1000GB SSD Drive
•2000GB 7200 RPM HDD
•DVDRW Optical Drive
•Nvidia GTX 1070 w/8GB Video Memory
•Corsair Carbide Series SPEC-03 Blue LED Mid-Tower Gaming Case
•ThermalTake Bronze Certified 85% Effeciency 750w Power Supply

First off, it's outdated. 8-series processors are the go-to now. Also pairing a B250 board with a 7700K is a no-no. Look at an 8000-series i7 and a Z370 board.

Might want to see if you can get faster memory (the 2133Mhz part), as that helps out a lot for gaming. 3200Mhz is the sweet spot.

Liquid cooling as I understand it is still louder than a big air cooler. If noise is an absolute concern, you probably want the biggest, largest air cooler you can get. (One that looks like the size and shape of a baby's head is the go-to.)

Do some case research with your options at wherever you're looking at buying from. Cases can make a huge difference for noise; you likely want one without a window and that is noise-dampened. The usual suggestion in the thread for that kind of case is the Define R5 or R6, but I don't know if you have those available to you.

Zero VGS
Aug 16, 2002
ASK ME ABOUT HOW HUMAN LIVES THAT MADE VIDEO GAME CONTROLLERS ARE WORTH MORE
Lipstick Apathy

Rex-Goliath posted:

I've noticed that there's no recommendations for microphones in the OP. Does anyone have a recommendation for a decent desktop mic?

My friends have these and give good reviews, as does Amazon: https://www.amazon.com/Blue-Snowball-iCE-Condenser-Microphone/dp/B014PYGTUQ

DemonMage
Oct 14, 2004

What happens in the course of duty is up to you...
Yeah Snowball or Yeti depending on your price point is a great place to start. They're solid for chatting and as a starter for podcasting/streaming without breaking the bank.

KoB
May 1, 2009
From what I've heard, Snowball is best out of the box ready to go (ICE is fine for gaming/podcasting/basic stuff), Yeti is the higher end mic but would require more setup with gates and such because it picks up everything.

KoB fucked around with this message at 01:47 on Feb 15, 2018

ActionExpress
Dec 28, 2002

M_Gargantua posted:

Exactly what I have, except with a 1070ti and it's the best! Ended up finding a barley used Asus Rog Strix 1070ti for $499 which isn't the worst. Also found a CL steal, $75 for Corsair Vengeance LPX 16gb 2400mhz.

With how GPUs and RAM prices are you almost have to be willing to go used unless you have extra money to spend for brand new components.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Chikimiki
May 14, 2009
Hey guys! A friend of mine would like to build a good value desktop for photo editing, and since he doesn't know anything about computers he asked me if I could help him make a parts list.
However, I don't know anything about photo editing in return and how beefy a PC needs to be for photoshopping RAW files :v:

Basically, I was gonna tell him to go for the latest i3 with a basic GPU (1050 to for example), lots of SSD and HDD storage, and 32 GB ram, plus a good display. Price range should be around 500€ without display (french prices).

Is there any spec in particular that would be useful for this use case?

Thanks in advance!