Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

n8r
Jul 3, 2003

I helped Lowtax become a cyborg and all I got was this lousy avatar

Halo_4am posted:

Somebody explain shift lights to me. I see them offered as aftermarket for a lot of bikes and I don't get the point.

Some of them can be tuned to where you prefer to shift, so I'm assuming they're intended for drag racing and dialing in your shifts to achieve the best time. Then they just became something else flashy to have on a bike? As a casual rider I don't want something flashing at me every shift and can't understand why any casual rider would want that.

They're used on road race/track bikes as well. Do the math as to why someone wants that on their street bike.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

PadreScout
Mar 14, 2008

Rev. Dr. Moses P. Lester posted:

Brick K bikes use a hall effect sensor on the final drive. I assume the newer ones use the same thing. I don't know what the ratio of sensor teeth to wheel travel is.

Ok, definitely a hall sensor, also definitely supposed to specify which one in the order. Apparently there are a bunch of different ones ACE-S1 through like ACE-S14. When I get off work I'll have to dig out manuals and look into this. Also the temperature sensor thing is going to be a problem.

Thanks for the help though! I am definitely on the right track ... just.. stupid.

Beve Stuscemi
Jun 6, 2001

Halo_4am posted:

Somebody explain shift lights to me. I see them offered as aftermarket for a lot of bikes and I don't get the point.

Some of them can be tuned to where you prefer to shift, so I'm assuming they're intended for drag racing and dialing in your shifts to achieve the best time. Then they just became something else flashy to have on a bike? As a casual rider I don't want something flashing at me every shift and can't understand why any casual rider would want that.

On a street bike there is no point except the bling factor. On a race/drag bike, there are advantages, although I would argue that most OEM shift lights are too small/dim to be effective. What you want is a big bright light that you dont have to look at and can just catch out of your peripheral vision.

Gay Nudist Dad
Dec 12, 2006

asshole on a scooter

Jim Silly-Balls posted:

On a street bike there is no point except the bling factor. On a race/drag bike, there are advantages, although I would argue that most OEM shift lights are too small/dim to be effective. What you want is a big bright light that you dont have to look at and can just catch out of your peripheral vision.

Yeah, this. I always figured the point was so that you didn't have to take your eyes off the road and still be alerted to the shift point.

I actually have some on my scooter that I routinely ignore (and the ergo of the scooter mostly puts them out of my periphery anyway)

nsaP
May 4, 2004

alright?
Any street bike with one is likely loud enough you don't need one. It could just be because my tach sucks but i never really look at it, i shift by sound and feel (vibration... Lol)

Safety Dance
Sep 10, 2007

Five degrees to starboard!

My thumpinator hits rev limiter really quickly. I usually shift around .75*redline, but sometimes when I'm really riding like a dong, I'll run into it. I wish it had a shift light around .9*redline.

Saga
Aug 17, 2009

alnilam posted:

I'm interested to see how I feel about motorcycling in the cold. I ride my bicycle through the winter (probably down to 15 F) and really, good gloves are the only important part, because you heat your own core up by pedaling. Ice/snow is the only thing that keeps me off the roads, because people have way too high of an opinion of themselves driving in the snow, either that or they don't consider the bus an option.

Anyway I'm looking forward to see how I feel about riding a motorcycle in the cold, where the wind is stronger and I don't get the same heat generation as a bicycle.

Motorcycling in the cold is really cold - you're sitting still plus massive windblast.

The basic principle for winter biking is to add layers indoors until you think you're way, way too hot, then add another layer and you're good to go.

PadreScout posted:

Hal effect speedo sensor

If you want to know, simply ask your bike to open the pod bay doors. If it refuses, it definitely has a HAL effect sensor.

e: :goonsay:

Saga fucked around with this message at 19:25 on Aug 17, 2012

My Spirit Otter
Jun 15, 2006

CANADA DOESN'T GET PENS LIKE THIS

SKILCRAFT KREW Reppin' Quality Blind Made American Products. Bitch.
So I came across a problem today. I put my battery back in my bike and was getting ready to drive it from where it was parked back to my house. When I went to start it, gas started leaking. When I looked for the leak, it was coming from a black hose that comes off the top of the carburetor and goes down between the two piston assemblies near a valve. It looks like the rubber hose is supposed to connect to the valve, but I am not sure what I am doing so I figured I'd ask before I put gas somewhere it might not go. Here is a picture of it

Safety Dance
Sep 10, 2007

Five degrees to starboard!

So, fuel is supposed to go:

tank-->petcock-->carb (might be near the top depending on what kind of bike it is, but in my experience fuel goes into the bottom of the carb).

Coming out of the top of the carb might be a vacuum line or an overflow line (like, if your carb's float pin got stuck and fuel just started flowing freely into the carb). Overflow lines sometimes go to the airbox, or just dump fuel out on the ground. If it's a vacuum line and you have a vacuum operated petcock, it should go to the petcock.

It's hard to get any context from your picture. What kind of bike is it?

Was the petcock off, and then you turned it on and fuel started coming out?

My Spirit Otter
Jun 15, 2006

CANADA DOESN'T GET PENS LIKE THIS

SKILCRAFT KREW Reppin' Quality Blind Made American Products. Bitch.

Safety Dance posted:

So, fuel is supposed to go:

tank-->petcock-->carb (might be near the top depending on what kind of bike it is, but in my experience fuel goes into the bottom of the carb).

Coming out of the top of the carb might be a vacuum line or an overflow line (like, if your carb's float pin got stuck and fuel just started flowing freely into the carb). Overflow lines sometimes go to the airbox, or just dump fuel out on the ground. If it's a vacuum line and you have a vacuum operated petcock, it should go to the petcock.

It's hard to get any context from your picture. What kind of bike is it?

Was the petcock off, and then you turned it on and fuel started coming out?

It's an 86 shadow. By petcock I assume you mean fuel cut off? If so it doesn't happen with the fuel line off. The float arms have neoprene tips from what I've read and apparently they can dry out and allow the carburetor to overfill. That's kind of what I am assuming is wrong with it. I would like some outside input before I haul it to the garage and get them to fix the float arms.

DJ_Ferret
May 1, 2006

The living pipe cleaner
My 2004 Kawasaki Ninja 500R started idling really high today. It was fine in the morning, but on my ride home from work it was idling at 3000rpm. This worries me, as It usually idles around 1500rpm.

It had been sitting in a fairly neutral temperature garage all day, but I did skip my usual step of opening the choke all the way when I start the bike up. It takes about 10-15 seconds of idling like that for the engine to really get going in the morning, this afternoon I just assumed it would be fine and started it up from cold and rode off.

Notes: it does need an oil change, but I wouldn't think that would make that much of a difference in idle rpms.

Any thoughts or advice?

Bondematt
Jan 26, 2007

Not too stupid
Pilot jets finally unclogged themselves! :downs:

Old oil will have nothing to do with this unless poo poo really hit the fan.

You are probably running rich at idle, 10-15 seconds is no time in terms of idling for a liquid cooled bike, do you know how many turns you have on your pilot screws? I believe it's 1-1.5 turns out from fully seated for a stock airbox, but look that up as I don't have my manual handy. They loosen over time causing the bike to run rich at idle, and are concealed under a cap from the factory.

Have you checked the throttle/enrichner("choke") cables to make sure they're not snagged? What happens if you lower the idle with the adjustment screw? It's between and below the carbs, and has a black knob. Sometimes when the pilot system is clogged a rider will turn up the idle to compensate, masking the problem.

1500rpm is a bit high for idle, but not out there. Around 1300 is usual.

Bondematt fucked around with this message at 10:11 on Aug 18, 2012

alnilam
Nov 10, 2009

Frame and fork sliders!
How specific do they have to be to the motorcycle? (In my case, kawasaki vulcan 500)
E.g. do I have to worry about how wide my chassis is, and make sure the sliders extend out far enough, or are they pretty standard/universal?
(Other than having to find a place to put them first and get a thread size that fits)

Finally, would you recommend them, especially for a beginner who does not plan to ride very aggressively? Cause dang, they are expensive for a little piece of metal/plastic, but somebody recommended them in passing.

clutchpuck
Apr 30, 2004
ro-tard
Can you even find them for a Vulcan? Look for engine guards, those usually keep most of the bike off the ground in a tip over. Plus you can mount pegs to them for long distance comfort.

the walkin dude
Oct 27, 2004

powerfully erect.
Now that I have a streetfightered '04 Ninja 636, I need sliders as the thing has none. What's the best brand to go by? There's no Motosliders for Kawasakis (the go-to brand in the SV650 world). No fairings to mess with, which is extra good.

Baller Witness Bro
Nov 16, 2006

Hey FedEx, how dare you deliver something before your "delivered by" time.
Just buy whatever brand that need "cut". Since you don't have to cut any stupid holes most brands should work and they won't take more than a few minutes to put on.

Mr. Eric Praline
Aug 13, 2004
I didn't like the others, they were all too flat.
Soooo the 1980 CB900c I've been working with has a problem. I've got the engine out, and I'm pulling off the cam holders, and POP. The head breaks off one of the bolts. I was gonna try to drill and ez-out, but this bolt has defeated every drill bit I own that's small enough. The cobalt bits from Home Depot just wore themselves out. Is there some sort of adamantium drill bit I should look for?

Also, one of the transfer case cover bolts did the same thing, but I got that with pliers. WTF am I doing to cause these things to snap like this?

Sagebrush
Feb 26, 2012

ERM... Actually I have stellar scores on the surveys, and every year students tell me that my classes are the best ones they’ve ever taken.
Get a left-handed bit and try that first. If you're lucky, you won't even have to drill it out all the way -- the friction and vibration will start to back the bolt out for you and you'll be set.

If that doesn't work, and you can't drill all the way through the bolt because you're breaking the left-handed bits as well, I would suggest finding a local place that can remove broken taps and asking them what to do. They may be able to burn the bolt out electrically.

If you can't find a place like that, try buying some of this stuff. Expensive, but I've heard it's very effective and it'll last a long time. Concentrated nitric acid will also dissolve steel without affecting the surrounding aluminum, but it's a bit harder to get ahold of and one of the more dangerous mineral acids, so be careful.

As to why they're breaking -- are you using plenty of liquid wrench or PB blaster? Soak any rusted or potentially stuck bolts overnight. And if you're just hauling on the bolt with a ratchet, try an impact driver instead. I don't know why, but I've never broken the head off a bolt when using an impact driver. Maybe the initial shock helps fracture through corrosion without twisting the head/shaft enough for it to shear off? I dunno.

Sagebrush fucked around with this message at 22:54 on Aug 18, 2012

Mr. Eric Praline
Aug 13, 2004
I didn't like the others, they were all too flat.

Awesome, thanks! One of these tips is gonna get this sumbitch out. :argh:

Tyorik
Dec 31, 2007

by astral
What's the preferred method of cleaning a motorcycle? Is there some sort of Windex equivalent for the tank, etc. that I can buy?

xd
Sep 28, 2001

glorifying my tragic destiny..
I use this and a soft clean cloth.

http://www.amazon.com/Meguiars-Quik-Detailer-Mist-Spray/dp/B0009IQXAE

karms
Jan 22, 2006

by Nyc_Tattoo
Yam Slacker
Just cleaning: standard car soap things and degreaser for the engine/swingarm.
Detailing: there's a thread for that in AI.

nsaP
May 4, 2004

alright?

Tyorik posted:

What's the preferred method of cleaning a motorcycle? Is there some sort of Windex equivalent for the tank, etc. that I can buy?
I use generic windex on metal parts on my bike and it takes grime off pretty well actually. Cleaned my wheels, swing arm, frame, radiator etc...

goddamnedtwisto
Dec 31, 2004

If you ask me about the mole people in the London Underground, I WILL be forced to kill you
Fun Shoe
For the main cleaning job I like Muc-Off - two minutes with this and a hose and the bike is like 90% clean, it's certainly good enough for the weekly wash.

For the monthly OCD-wash the best thing in my cleaning kit (apart from a shitload of microfibre cloths I got from a pound shop) is an old electric toothbrush that, with a touch of swarfega loaded on it, will get grease and oil off of just about anything and get into spots your bike didn't know it had.

Snowdens Secret
Dec 29, 2008
Someone got you a obnoxiously racist av.
I have shift lights on my Speed Triple. There's a couple goofy useless patterns you can set but I have them all come on about 500RPM from redline. I think they come in handy, the Triple has a very flat torque curve and doesn't really sound all that different revving over about 7K. With all on/off at once it's fairly easy to see in peripheral vision, especially at night. Also useful if you're trying to follow the RPM shift points of the breakin. Nevertheless they're hardly a must-have feature.

the walkin dude posted:

Now that I have a streetfightered '04 Ninja 636, I need sliders as the thing has none. What's the best brand to go by? There's no Motosliders for Kawasakis (the go-to brand in the SV650 world). No fairings to mess with, which is extra good.

http://www.oesaccessories.com/636.html

Fixed Gear Guy
Oct 21, 2010

In a ketchup factory. A sexy ketchup factory.
I can't believe you guys don't use S100 to clean. I thought it was bullshit but it really does work. Here's what I do every Friday:

1. Come home from work (on bike)
2. Hose bike down on a trickle hose head setting
3. Liberally apply S100 everywhere
4. Let sit 10 minutes
5. Hose bike with a sharp, direct head setting. Note do not do this where lots of electrical bits live. Use a soft trickle there.
6. Let sit in sun for 30 minutes
7. Manually dry some small spots, detail rims and clean/lube chain
8. Check tire pressure and that fun stuff

Cleaning my bike is now not a pain in the rear end which rocks. The S100 and hard water spray takes away almoat all scrubbing, and it dries in the sun without spotting. S100 is expensive but fuuuck it's worth it, and I am now its whore.

Tyorik
Dec 31, 2007

by astral
I read through the AI detailing thread and it seemed like a bit much for me; waxing, buffing, taping, etc.

Can I get away with a setup like this:

Muc-Off, Meguiar's Quik Detailer Mist & Wipe Spray, Meguiar's Ultimate Quik Wax, Meguiar's Supreme Shine Microfiber Cloths, The Absorber

Or the whole Meguiar's Complete Car Care Kit

Bloody Queef
Mar 23, 2012

by zen death robot

Fixed Gear Guy posted:

I can't believe you guys don't use S100 to clean. I thought it was bullshit but it really does work. Here's what I do every Friday:

1. Come home from work (on bike)
2. Hose bike down on a trickle hose head setting
3. Liberally apply S100 everywhere
4. Let sit 10 minutes
5. Hose bike with a sharp, direct head setting. Note do not do this where lots of electrical bits live. Use a soft trickle there.
6. Let sit in sun for 30 minutes
7. Manually dry some small spots, detail rims and clean/lube chain
8. Check tire pressure and that fun stuff

Cleaning my bike is now not a pain in the rear end which rocks. The S100 and hard water spray takes away almoat all scrubbing, and it dries in the sun without spotting. S100 is expensive but fuuuck it's worth it, and I am now its whore.

If you left out step 1 it would be "how to own a ducati.txt"

Armyman25
Sep 6, 2005

Bloody Queef posted:

If you left out step 1 it would be "how to own a ducati.txt"

I hear if you park your Ducati near a hose, this spontaneously happens.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hTAkGe-7ito

the walkin dude
Oct 27, 2004

powerfully erect.
Snowdens, thanks for the linkage. I decided to pick the name I've heard dropped often, Woodcraft.

Today I put the 636 on a rear stand and inspected everything. I've been riding it around and around, and so far it seems awesome for the $2800 asking price, but I just had to make sure that there aren't any hidden surprises. The brake fluid was begging for replacement, and the coolant reservoir jug naturally needs replacement but was "glued" over to prevent any further short-term leakage.

The fork seals look like this, with little vertical "cracks" - or slits - in a row going around the seal. A bit hard to see in the picture below. They aren't leaky. Are they due for replacement? Should I go ahead and replace the fork oil/seals with it being a 8 year old bike?

Rev. Dr. Moses P. Lester
Oct 3, 2000

the walkin dude posted:

The fork seals look like this, with little vertical "cracks" - or slits - in a row going around the seal. A bit hard to see in the picture below. They aren't leaky. Are they due for replacement? Should I go ahead and replace the fork oil/seals with it being a 8 year old bike?
Those are just the dust covers, not the actual seals. It's generally fine if those crack. When the seals go, you'll see actual fluid leakage. No need to mess with them until then.

Beve Stuscemi
Jun 6, 2001

Well, if your seals are still good, you should still replace the cracked dust seals, as cracked ones will let crap get into your seals and ruin them.

slidebite
Nov 6, 2005

Good egg
:colbert:

Armyman25 posted:

more like hoes

echomadman
Aug 24, 2004

Nap Ghost

Jim Silly-Balls posted:

Well, if your seals are still good, you should still replace the cracked dust seals, as cracked ones will let crap get into your seals and ruin them.

on usd forks this is as big a job as replacing the seals

Flikken
Oct 23, 2009

10,363 snaps and not a playoff win to show for it
Since my windshield search for my GS 550ES has turned up goose eggs I've decided to go another direction. I want to take the whole cowling and headlight off and mount a set of these on instead.

http://www.flyncycle.com/Dominator_Twin_Motorcycle_Headlight_p/hlutrblk.htm

How involved of a project is this going to be?

MotoMind
May 5, 2007

Armyman25 posted:

This is quite possibly the least erotic thing I have ever seen.

echomadman
Aug 24, 2004

Nap Ghost

Flikken posted:

Since my windshield search for my GS 550ES has turned up goose eggs I've decided to go another direction. I want to take the whole cowling and headlight off and mount a set of these on instead.

http://www.flyncycle.com/Dominator_Twin_Motorcycle_Headlight_p/hlutrblk.htm

How involved of a project is this going to be?

It depends on how much of your loom is stuffed into the old headlight bucket, tidying it away is the worst part of a headlight swap.

edit: didnt realise it was a half faired bike. same thing applies but the loom will be more spread out through the fairings. and you'll need to figure out a mount for the indicators.

echomadman fucked around with this message at 21:20 on Aug 19, 2012

goddamnedtwisto
Dec 31, 2004

If you ask me about the mole people in the London Underground, I WILL be forced to kill you
Fun Shoe

MotoMind posted:

This is quite possibly the least erotic thing I have ever seen.

I found it quite arousing then I realised it was a Multistrada and not a Dorsoduro and went instantly flaccid.

Flikken
Oct 23, 2009

10,363 snaps and not a playoff win to show for it

echomadman posted:

It depends on how much of your loom is stuffed into the old headlight bucket, tidying it away is the worst part of a headlight swap.

edit: didnt realise it was a half faired bike. same thing applies but the loom will be more spread out through the fairings. and you'll need to figure out a mount for the indicators.

Any suggestions on a bolt on mount and new indicators? I am totally new at this stuff and not even sure where to begin.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

MotoMind
May 5, 2007

goddamnedtwisto posted:

I found it quite arousing then I realised it was a Multistrada and not a Dorsoduro and went instantly flaccid.

Hypermotard.