Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Drifter
Oct 22, 2000

Belated Bear Witness
Soiled Meat

RazorBunny posted:

I like 1 part sugar to 1 part lemon to 6 parts water, personally.

You also can't forget to add the Pink. It needs to be pink.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Dogdoo 8
Sep 22, 2011

RazorBunny posted:

I like 1 part sugar to 1 part lemon to 6 parts water, personally.

Not only is that incredibly watered down, but you also managed to forget the whiskey.

Casu Marzu
Oct 20, 2008

I tend to do 1:1:3 sugar to lemon to water, then add in a lot of ice to dilute it a bit more. Also, a good pour of bitters. Maybe a couple of fresh bay leaves or a sprig of lavender.

Kenning
Jan 11, 2009

I really want to post goatse. Instead I only have these🍄.

Bitters and maraschino liqueur are both fabulous additions to lemonade.

Fluffy Bunnies
Jan 10, 2009

Drifter posted:

You also can't forget to add the Pink. It needs to be pink.

Pretty sure the prickly pear juice I'm gonna add will make it pink. Thanks you guys.

Jose
Jul 24, 2007

Adrian Chiles is a broadcaster and writer
I've got some ham and pea soup that is nearly ready but it needs something more and I'm not sure what. I soaked 2 ham shanks over night then boiled them and 2 pigs feet with a few bay leaves and peppercorns for about 3 hours or so. I sauteed some shallots/leeks/carrots/celery and added those to the stock when I'd taken the ham shanks/feet out. I added 400g of split peas and then some frozen peas later since it mostly just tasted of stock. I've not blended it and added the ham back yet but it definitely feels lacking but it doesn't need any salt.

Senior Scarybagels
Jan 6, 2011

nom nom
Grimey Drawer
I made the Vegetarian Shooter yesterday, and it turned out delicious. I used pesto on the top and bottom and I layered Mushroom, then Bell Peppers/Onions, Roasted Tomatos, cheese, squash and zucchini, Red Onions and Jalepaneos, Cheese, more red onions and then the lid. Thank you all for your help.

Grand Fromage
Jan 30, 2006

L-l-look at you bar-bartender, a-a pa-pathetic creature of meat and bone, un-underestimating my l-l-liver's ability to metab-meTABolize t-toxins. How can you p-poison a perfect, immortal alcohOLIC?

I always use a generous dose of Worcestershire sauce in mine. And I've started adding some straight MSG too. Sweat some garlic in bacon fat and add that?

Jose
Jul 24, 2007

Adrian Chiles is a broadcaster and writer

Grand Fromage posted:

I always use a generous dose of Worcestershire sauce in mine. And I've started adding some straight MSG too. Sweat some garlic in bacon fat and add that?

If you're talking about my soup, I did cook some garlic and forgot to add to the list. I'm going to wait until its ready to be blended and add the ham before I risk adding more salt like in bacon fat.

Grand Fromage
Jan 30, 2006

L-l-look at you bar-bartender, a-a pa-pathetic creature of meat and bone, un-underestimating my l-l-liver's ability to metab-meTABolize t-toxins. How can you p-poison a perfect, immortal alcohOLIC?

Scott Bakula posted:

If you're talking about my soup, I did cook some garlic and forgot to add to the list. I'm going to wait until its ready to be blended and add the ham before I risk adding more salt like in bacon fat.

Yeah, that other post appeared out of nowhere. I also add a bit of liquid smoke if the ham hock doesn't do the job.

You could take a bit out and experiment with acid too, lemon juice should work in pea soup.

RazorBunny
May 23, 2007

Sometimes I feel like this.

Dogdoo 8 posted:

Not only is that incredibly watered down, but you also managed to forget the whiskey.

I like mine kind of weak because I usually flavor it with lavender, so too much lemon overwhelms it. Also I'm a wimp.

While I was over in Kuwait I discovered that their definition of "lemonade" is just fresh lemon juice and sugar, with no added water at all. It's...intense. And doesn't make you less thirsty, I found.

Psychobabble
Jan 17, 2006

RazorBunny posted:

I like mine kind of weak because I usually flavor it with lavender, so too much lemon overwhelms it. Also I'm a wimp.

While I was over in Kuwait I discovered that their definition of "lemonade" is just fresh lemon juice and sugar, with no added water at all. It's...intense. And doesn't make you less thirsty, I found.

Except not and "their" definition of lemonade is the same as everyone else's.

EAT THE EGGS RICOLA
May 29, 2008

Grand Fromage posted:

You could take a bit out and experiment with acid too, lemon juice should work in pea soup.

Take some out and try apple cider vinegar, if you have any.

RazorBunny
May 23, 2007

Sometimes I feel like this.

Psychobabble posted:

Except not and "their" definition of lemonade is the same as everyone else's.

I know in the US, the UK, and Bahrain the lemonade I drank was not pure sweetened lemon juice, it was diluted with water, either still or sparkling. But maybe you're right and every single other country on the planet does it the same way they do in Kuwait, I've only been to four countries.

Hayden
Jan 17, 2006
I'm planning to grill a pork loin tonight, and I don't want it to end up bone dry. It's been marinating in adobe sauce with some chipotle peppers for a few days, so it should be ok, but I was wondering if high heat and cooking it quickly, or would it do better with lower heat and longer time on the grill?

Turkeybone
Dec 9, 2006

:chef: :eng99:
Generally longer cooking time means more drying, but a thermometer is going to be your best friend here, as well as some fatty accompaniments.

hobbez
Mar 1, 2012

Don't care. Just do not care. We win, you lose. You do though, you seem to care very much

I'm going to go ride my mountain bike, later nerds.
Hi goons with spoons! Long time lurker and envier of your concoctions.

I was hoping someone could suggest a decent and fairly simple/cheap vegetarian recipe I could make with my girlfriend next weekend. I don't really know how to cook much beyond your most basic recipes so it has to be fairly simple. We are college students also so obviously we would rather not break the bank on one meal. We do have access to a full kitchen and a well stocked spice cabinet however so those basics should be covered.

Were not picky. What veggie meals do you guys like to cook up?

I know I could find a million results if I just googled this but what can I say I trust your tastes!

P.S. I eat all sorts of meat but she doesn't so Im going veggie for one meal.

tarepanda
Mar 26, 2011

Living the Dream
What about a ratatouille?

theres a will theres moe
Jan 10, 2007

Hair Elf
Roasted root vegetables with fancy olive oil and balsamic vinegar.

Vegetable soup.

Stir-fry.

Falafel and salad in a pita.

Skewered veggies on the grill with some beers.

If eggs aren't meat, omelettes with mushrooms and tarragon.

theres a will theres moe fucked around with this message at 03:59 on Sep 9, 2013

cxcxxxxx
Sep 7, 2013

It is not possible to eat me without insisting that I sing praises of my devourer?

hobbez posted:

I was hoping someone could suggest a decent and fairly simple/cheap vegetarian recipe I could make with my girlfriend next weekend. I don't really know how to cook much beyond your most basic recipes so it has to be fairly simple. We are college students also so obviously we would rather not break the bank on one meal. We do have access to a full kitchen and a well stocked spice cabinet however so those basics should be covered.

I know I could find a million results if I just googled this but what can I say I trust your tastes!

You can make all sorts of fantastic vegan meals with some basic spices and sauces, a wok, and fresh veggies to stir fry.

EVG
Dec 17, 2005

If I Saw It, Here's How It Happened.

tarepanda posted:

What about a ratatouille?

My coworker recently made this and said it was easy and amazing. She doesn't have a mandoline and just roughly sliced all the bits and chucked it in with the other stuff, and said it was still really great (but if you do layer it like shown it's really pretty and sure to impress!). It smelled amazing when she reheated it for lunch and I have got to try it soon.

http://smittenkitchen.com/blog/2007/07/rat-a-too-ee-for-you-ee/

tarepanda
Mar 26, 2011

Living the Dream
I might be weird, but I think it's great as chilled leftovers, too!

Cuddlebottom
Feb 17, 2004

Butt dance.

hobbez posted:

Shakshuka is pretty awesome.

THE MACHO MAN
Nov 15, 2007

...Carey...

draw me like one of your French Canadian girls

Cuddlebottom posted:

Shakshuka is pretty awesome.

This or ratatoullie for sure. Personally, I'm more partial to shakshuka.

Soooo last night I went over the gf's and cooked a bunch of pizzas for her family. I brought back the round stone her mom had lent me for months. Both stones broke last night. What the hell????

I followed the same thing I always do: preheat the stones in the oven at max temp (550 for both ovens), make sure the dough is out for a bit at room temp so I'm not dropping cold dough on it. I left the stones in the oven for probably 2+ hours because I was making pizzas, eating, making more, etc. Same as I usually do.

The only thing I can think of is her mom said they were both around 10 years old (she barely ever used them) but what the hell, both in one night?? Maybe my oven doesn't get as hot as hers does?

The Midniter
Jul 9, 2001

hobbez posted:

Here is a recipe for a vegetarian (actually vegan) potato soup. It is the most delicious soup I've ever personally made. I do modify it a little bit, though...I add much more garlic and a lot more chipotles in adobo. I also puree it into a bisque of sorts as I find big chunks of boiled potato to be relatively flavorless. If you make it too spicy you can add some sour cream which will cut the heat as well as add richness.

It's dead simple and could be used as an entree or a side.

THE MACHO MAN posted:

This or ratatoullie for sure. Personally, I'm more partial to shakshuka.

Soooo last night I went over the gf's and cooked a bunch of pizzas for her family. I brought back the round stone her mom had lent me for months. Both stones broke last night. What the hell????

I followed the same thing I always do: preheat the stones in the oven at max temp (550 for both ovens), make sure the dough is out for a bit at room temp so I'm not dropping cold dough on it. I left the stones in the oven for probably 2+ hours because I was making pizzas, eating, making more, etc. Same as I usually do.

The only thing I can think of is her mom said they were both around 10 years old (she barely ever used them) but what the hell, both in one night?? Maybe my oven doesn't get as hot as hers does?

drat, that sucks. I'm guessing you were simply a victim of Bad Luck™ that they both broke on the same day, since it sounds like you treated them exactly how they are supposed to be treated.

mbottoms
Nov 15, 2012

Wouldn't you like to...
Hey goons, need a little help.

I've recently struck up an acquaintance with a few visiting Korean Navy types. A friend of mine invited them to his housewarming where I will be making Paella and various other odds and ends. I'd like to include a Korean dish of some sort, but I'm not really familiar with the cuisine. I know we have a ton of goons with relevant experience, and I'd love some ideas about what to make that would be familiar to them and won't frighten away the other guests. I'm thinking a light soup or appetizer, but I'm open to anything.

dino.
Mar 28, 2010

Yip Yip, bitch.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=y_eIk40wwuQ

They and everyone else won't be able to stop eating it. I've made it without the eggs or seafood, and just scallions, garlic, and ginger. It's always extremely popular.

Grand Fromage
Jan 30, 2006

What spices do you guys keep stocked? I'm gathering fresh whole spices and not sure what to get next. I have Sichuan peppercorn, black pepper, long pepper, nutmeg, cloves, star anise, fennel, cumin, coriander, cardamom pods, cinnamon, mustard seed. I'm getting some anise, caraway, celery seed, grains of paradise, and cardamom seed. I feel like I need more than this.

Very Strange Things
May 21, 2008

Grand Fromage posted:

What spices do you guys keep stocked? I'm gathering fresh whole spices and not sure what to get next. I have Sichuan peppercorn, black pepper, long pepper, nutmeg, cloves, star anise, fennel, cumin, coriander, cardamom pods, cinnamon, mustard seed. I'm getting some anise, caraway, celery seed, grains of paradise, and cardamom seed. I feel like I need more than this.

I've been using a lot of white pepper lately.
You probably have sesame seeds already and are just not counting them as spices?
I've seen a few recipes lately call for candied ginger. I never use it, but you might want it around.

Rurutia
Jun 11, 2009

Grand Fromage posted:

Sichuan peppercorn, tellicherry peppercorn, white peppercorn, nutmeg, clove, cinnamon (whole and ground), star anise, fennel, cumin, coriander, black mustard seed, yellow mustard powder, smoked paprika, hot paprika, cayenne powder, dried bay leaves, green and black cardamom pods, cardamom seeds, whole turmeric (I also keep fresh turmeric in the fridge), thyme, dried red chili, msg.

I don't have any right now, but I make chile powder and will store that but we use it pretty fast.

I've never really felt the need for much else.

Turkeybone
Dec 9, 2006

:chef: :eng99:

dino. posted:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=y_eIk40wwuQ

They and everyone else won't be able to stop eating it. I've made it without the eggs or seafood, and just scallions, garlic, and ginger. It's always extremely popular.

You motherfucker.. I love seafood pancakes, and I didn't realize how butt-easy they were to make. drat you, drat you.

Dacap
Jul 8, 2008

I've been involved in a number of cults, both as a leader and a follower.

You have more fun as a follower. But you make more money as a leader.

I made chicken where I had cooked it with butter and sliced garlic under the skin. Is there any risk of botulism from the garlic and butter if I have some the next day? It was promptly refrigerated shortly after cooking

The Midniter
Jul 9, 2001

Dacap posted:

I made chicken where I had cooked it with butter and sliced garlic under the skin. Is there any risk of botulism from the garlic and butter if I have some the next day? It was promptly refrigerated shortly after cooking

Botulism is anaerobic so as long as it's not being suspended in some sort of liquid medium, and you're not dead from botulism from what you ate yesterday, you'll be fine.

walruscat
Apr 27, 2013

Is there any difference in putting salt in a soup while its cooking or after its done cooking? I'm asking because my wife refuses to put salt in her soups and I'm wondering if this adversely effects the taste if I salt it after its done cooking.

Flash Gordon Ramsay
Sep 28, 2004

Grimey Drawer
Not really. Because it's soup, the salt can dissolve and be distributed easily, unlike trying to salt a casserole or baked goods after the fact.

cxcxxxxx
Sep 7, 2013

It is not possible to eat me without insisting that I sing praises of my devourer?
Could anyone recommend a good coffee bean to be ground and served with lamb?

The Midniter
Jul 9, 2001

walruscat posted:

Is there any difference in putting salt in a soup while its cooking or after its done cooking? I'm asking because my wife refuses to put salt in her soups and I'm wondering if this adversely effects the taste if I salt it after its done cooking.

In addition to what Flash said, it's not a bad idea to hold off on salting your soups until the end - depending on the preparation, you may need to reduce it a bit, and if you salt to taste while it simmers, this can lead to a salty soup due to the comparatively higher concentration of salt in the finished product.

Bob Morales
Aug 18, 2006

Just wear the fucking mask, Bob

I don't care how many people I probably infected with COVID-19 while refusing to wear a mask, my comfort is far more important than the health and safety of everyone around me!

C-Euro posted:

My girlfriend bought some bananas a few days ago and she hasn't touched them, and now that they're getting mushy I was thinking of making some smoothies with them.
Does anyone else not like bananas that have started to brown at all in smoothies? I like them almost with a hint of green. Not sure if it's the texture or just the change in flavor.

But then didn't Alton Brown buy the already brown ones on clearance and take them home an freeze them?

Pookah
Aug 21, 2008

🪶Caw🪶

Bob Morales posted:

Does anyone else not like bananas that have started to brown at all in smoothies? I like them almost with a hint of green. Not sure if it's the texture or just the change in flavor.

But then didn't Alton Brown buy the already brown ones on clearance and take them home an freeze them?

I like to eat slightly crunchy, slightly green bananas.

Everyone tells me I'm a freak but dammit brown-spotted bananas are nasty, soft and mealy.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Doh004
Apr 22, 2007

Mmmmm Donuts...
Brown bananas are great for banana bread.