Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
What is going to be your favorite offseason storyline?
This poll is closed.
The Big3 Tourney 67 22.41%
Will Lakers draft Ball 40 13.38%
Where will the Pauls go 54 18.06%
Will LeBron jump ship to the Spurs or ?? 41 13.71%
Will every team in the league just pivot towards tanking 97 32.44%
Total: 210 votes
[Edit Poll (moderators only)]

• Locked thread
Redgrendel2001
Sep 1, 2006

you literally think a person saying their NBA team of choice being better than the fucking 76ers is a 'schtick'

a literal thing you think.

Joel "Gearhead from Dundalk" Embiid.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

R.D. Mangles
Jan 10, 2004

the chicago bulls are certainly the wire docks of the nba, a faded institution barely clinging to relevance while getting robbed by everyone around them, led by a bald guy who goes around yelling ON MY DOCKS THEY DON'T

Rick
Feb 23, 2004
When I was 17, my father was so stupid, I didn't want to be seen with him in public. When I was 24, I was amazed at how much the old man had learned in just 7 years.
I've only been suffering for the six months or so since Earvin Johnson took over, I was fine before that.

Doltos
Dec 28, 2005

🤌🤌🤌

WhyteRyce posted:

Itt compare your team to a location from The Wire

The Knicks are those abandoned townhouses where Snoopi hid the dead bodies

Ragnarok the Red
Jun 21, 2002

Doltos posted:

NBA's parity has unintentionally created a sea of disappointed fans. Unless you grew up a Celtics, Lakers, or Bulls fan you spent most your life either watching your favorite players lose in the most heartbreaking fashion or seeing your team transform into a bandwagon gently caress fest where everyone hates you for living in or near Miami.

Going from classmates snickering at me for wearing a Mavericks shirt to school one day in the mid 90's to seeing them win the title in 2011 is still surreal to me, despite the ~15 year gap in-between.

xbilkis
Apr 11, 2005

god qb
me
jay hova

R.D. Mangles posted:

the chicago bulls are certainly the wire docks of the nba, a faded institution barely clinging to relevance while getting robbed by everyone around them, led by a bald guy who goes around yelling ON MY DOCKS THEY DON'T

Gar is Ziggy, and this is his duck

rabidsquid
Oct 11, 2004

LOVES THE KOG

WhyteRyce posted:

coach stan van gundy: pretty okay
gm stan van gundy: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=409Pjtq7jzY

R.D. Mangles
Jan 10, 2004

EvanTH
Apr 24, 2004

i like to express my inner pain by being really boring on the phone
or just when i'm kickin it
that's me though
i'm kind of oddddddd

bad advice
those motherfuckers gave him bad advice

Ghost Dog
Aug 17, 2016

the wire got the eastern shore 100% right and the most eastern shore team ever was the roy hibbert pacers

Castor Poe
Jul 19, 2010

Jar Jar is the key to all of this.

Quinntan posted:

Hi, I'm looking for a new team (and sport) to follow now that soccer has truly gone off the deep end with money. However, the soccer club that I support has always struggled with kinda rubbish ownership, retaining any players that show even a glimpse of promise and overall has been a bit of a misery circus after I started supporting them as a kid back in 2000 or so. What team fits that bill in the NBA so I know not to repeat the mistake?

Hi, the team you're looking for are the Celtics. We won the most championships (the majority of them back when there was only like 4 teams), our best player is 5'9 and we've recently acquired a guy who looks like Ryan Gosling with Downs syndrome. Also, everyone hates us and we have one of the worst fandoms in sports. Welcome to Celtics Nation.

tanglewood1420
Oct 28, 2010

The importance of this mission cannot be overemphasized
Be like me and be a fan of the game as a whole rather a than specific team. That way you can appreciate the unmatched basketball greatness of Golden State whilst also recognising Durant is a bitch and Draymond is a loving annoying rear end in a top hat.

It's good just watching the best game every night on league pass, rather than stuck watching Sacramento - Charlotte or some poo poo because of fan obligation.

Quinntan
Sep 11, 2013

Castor Poe posted:

Hi, the team you're looking for are the Celtics. We won the most championships (the majority of them back when there was only like 4 teams), our best player is 5'9 and we've recently acquired a guy who looks like Ryan Gosling with Downs syndrome. Also, everyone hates us and we have one of the worst fandoms in sports. Welcome to Celtics Nation.

I'm Irish and as a result I hate everything BAWSTON. Sorry.

Minnesota looks pretty nice, might go with them.

Kibner
Oct 21, 2008

Acguy Supremacy

tanglewood1420 posted:

Be like me and be a fan of the game as a whole rather a than specific team. That way you can appreciate the unmatched basketball greatness of Golden State whilst also recognising Durant is a bitch and Draymond is a loving annoying rear end in a top hat.

It's good just watching the best game every night on league pass, rather than stuck watching Sacramento - Charlotte or some poo poo because of fan obligation.

This is true, sadly. I want my team to be good enough to be worth bandwagoning on. :(

Lockback
Sep 3, 2006

All days are nights to see till I see thee; and nights bright days when dreams do show me thee.
Tell me Kyrie, I'm trying to help you out. Where don't you want to go?

Cleveland

Hand Row
May 28, 2001
Nice to see Minnesota still has a blah player for people to overly defend after Rubio.

Paracaidas
Sep 24, 2016
Consistently Tedious!

Hand Row posted:

Nice to see Minnesota still has a blah player for people to overly defend after Rubio.

I miss the vacillation between "but fancystats!" for Rubio and "but buckets!" for Wiggins.

I get that he's had different coaches and defensive schemes every year in the league. On the other hand, he's also been outrebounded by Rubio in every professional season.

I don't understand how that's possible.

Cool Buff Man
Jul 30, 2006

bitch

Paracaidas posted:

I miss the vacillation between "but fancystats!" for Rubio and "but buckets!" for Wiggins.

I get that he's had different coaches and defensive schemes every year in the league. On the other hand, he's also been outrebounded by Rubio in every professional season.

I don't understand how that's possible.

Lavine had the same coaches and even worse odds to become good due to being played out of position for his entire rookie year and he ended up being good so I'm not sure what the Minnesota coaching "argument" proves anyways

Cool Buff Man fucked around with this message at 15:37 on Aug 6, 2017

Lockback
Sep 3, 2006

All days are nights to see till I see thee; and nights bright days when dreams do show me thee.
The coaching is a big argument as to why his defense was bad, and LaVine is not a counter to that at all. People were excited about Barnes' offense this year, and Wiggins is comparable but can create better and is a few years younger. He has the right tools to be an excellent defender, but lots of guys have trouble with that at 22 or younger.

Cool Buff Man
Jul 30, 2006

bitch

Lockback posted:

The coaching is a big argument as to why his defense was bad, and LaVine is not a counter to that at all. People were excited about Barnes' offense this year, and Wiggins is comparable but can create better and is a few years younger. He has the right tools to be an excellent defender, but lots of guys have trouble with that at 22 or younger.

The argument was never about his defense specifically, seeing as it started when I said that Wiggins "isn't very good" but if you want to make it about his defense, I'm fine with that because it's more evidence that he's not a "great young wing"

All I'm seeing are excuses as to why he's not very good yet, but that doesn't change the fact that he's not very good at the moment. I didn't call him the worst player in the league or terrible or anything, and he obviously has potential

Cool Buff Man fucked around with this message at 16:11 on Aug 6, 2017

Metapod
Mar 18, 2012
Wiggins is a professional bucket getter and is good

Brolander
Oct 20, 2008

i am but a vessel

WhyteRyce posted:

"where's griff. where's griff? huh? dan? where the gently caress's griffin. WHERE'S THE gently caress'S GRIFF, DAN?"

SCARYJEINFELD
Oct 30, 2012

It happens sometimes. People just explode. Natural causes.
whats your favorite website to read about sports on?

WhyteRyce posted:

also Danny Ainge is basically Clay Davis ripping everyone off

SHIIIEEEEEEETTTT

AggressivelyStupid
Jan 9, 2012

Brolander posted:

"where's griff. where's griff? huh? dan? where the gently caress's griffin. WHERE'S THE gently caress'S GRIFF, DAN?"

Doltos
Dec 28, 2005

🤌🤌🤌

Cool Buff Man posted:

The argument was never about his defense specifically, seeing as it started when I said that Wiggins "isn't very good" but if you want to make it about his defense, I'm fine with that because it's more evidence that he's not a "great young wing"

All I'm seeing are excuses as to why he's not very good yet, but that doesn't change the fact that he's not very good at the moment. I didn't call him the worst player in the league or terrible or anything, and he obviously has potential

I'd agree with you that he's not very good right now in the sense that you're comparing him to allstars. He averaged 23 points last year, 20 the year before that at the age of 20, and 17 before that his rookie year. He's becoming less and less efficient but that's over a small sample size of three years. He's 21 years old, he can dunk on guys known for rim protection, he can beat people to his shooting spot, and he's athletic. That's all potential there.

Ghost Dog
Aug 17, 2016

the small, small sample size of his entire career

Cool Buff Man
Jul 30, 2006

bitch

Doltos posted:

I'd agree with you that he's not very good right now in the sense that you're comparing him to allstars. He averaged 23 points last year, 20 the year before that at the age of 20, and 17 before that his rookie year. He's becoming less and less efficient but that's over a small sample size of three years. He's 21 years old, he can dunk on guys known for rim protection, he can beat people to his shooting spot, and he's athletic. That's all potential there.

I'm interested in seeing if playing with Butler will make him care about defense or if it will make him glum about losing shots. Perhaps both. I need the season to start already cuz I've got like 40 storylines on hold, just waiting for them to develop

roundmidnight
Jul 9, 2010
The Raptors are The Wire in that everybody thinks they're good until they get to the playoffs and realize they've been had and are just watching bad plots and boring characters do things at a snail's pace that seem good because if white people love anything it's watching "gritty" dramas about ~inner city life~ and what were we talking about again?

Mr. Mambold
Feb 13, 2011

Aha. Nice post.

Mandrel posted:

Counterpoint: if you root for the Warriors you are A Chode and everyone will know it especially after you post something like this

lol

Rick posted:

I've only been suffering for the six months or so since Earvin Johnson took over, I was fine before that.

lol

Dexo
Aug 15, 2009

A city that was to live by night after the wilderness had passed. A city that was to forge out of steel and blood-red neon its own peculiar wilderness.
So are we just assuming then that Black people don't also like the Wire?

Brolander
Oct 20, 2008

i am but a vessel

Dexo posted:

it's a pretty dumb boring loving take isn't it

Metapod
Mar 18, 2012

Dexo posted:

No I'm pretty sure he's saying if you like the wire you are white. Sorry I don't make the rules dexo but you are white now

Doltos
Dec 28, 2005

🤌🤌🤌

Ghost Dog posted:

the small, small sample size of his entire career

A three year career.

Cool Buff Man posted:

I'm interested in seeing if playing with Butler will make him care about defense or if it will make him glum about losing shots. Perhaps both. I need the season to start already cuz I've got like 40 storylines on hold, just waiting for them to develop

Wiggins and Butler play near identical on offense so unless Thibs hates one of them for no reason they'll get their looks. Jeff Teague might take more shots that Rubio didn't take but the ball will move around the same. His defense loving blows though and is the main thing holding him back besides his array of inefficient long 2's.

Shear Modulus
Jun 9, 2010

Metapod posted:

Wiggins is a professional bucket getter and is good

If you think about it rebounds are bad juju for a bucket-getter because how can expect to be in tune with the bucket-getting energies when you're also getting rebounds, aka non-buckets

Dexo
Aug 15, 2009

A city that was to live by night after the wilderness had passed. A city that was to forge out of steel and blood-red neon its own peculiar wilderness.

Metapod posted:

No I'm pretty sure he's saying if you like the wire you are white. Sorry I don't make the rules dexo but you are white now

Oh thank God, maybe now I won't get watched by the local cops while looking through my mail outside my own house until I go inside.

But anyway

gently caress the bulls front office. Zach Lavine has no knees, Kris Dunn is bad and Lauri's peak is loving Ryan Anderson.

EvanTH
Apr 24, 2004

that's me though
i'm kind of oddddddd
I'm the version of The Wire aired on BET where like 1/3rd of season two is cut until it's mostly D'Angelo In Prison lol

EvanTH
Apr 24, 2004

that's me though
i'm kind of oddddddd
I only enjoy the Animal Planet version of the Wire where they cut everything except Marlo petting pigeons and Wee-Bey explaining how to care for his fish

Doltos
Dec 28, 2005

🤌🤌🤌

EvanTH posted:

I'm the version of The Wire aired on BET where like 1/3rd of season two is cut until it's mostly D'Angelo In Prison lol

Please link these edits it sounds like a much better version of season 2

Mr. Mambold
Feb 13, 2011

Aha. Nice post.

In this version of The Wire, Dexo goes out in a track suit, grabs his mail from the mailbox, then goes for a brisk jog......

plot edit: He is followed, arrested, frisked, then charged with mail fraud because the D.A. suspects he baited the cops into an illegal arrest for a million dollar payoff

Disclaimer: I have never watched the Wire

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Libertine
Jun 21, 2004

When I die, I hope they say I made the eSports industry a better place than I made millions of dollars.
Extolling how much you like the Wire is the ultimate in rich white dude virtue signaling understanding the real plight of "the streets" while not actually understanding it at all (see: every Bill Simmons column ever).

The Wire is a good show but I've never once met a person talking about it who wasn't obnoxious as gently caress.

• Locked thread