Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Bulky Bartokomous
Nov 3, 2006

In Mypos, only the strong survive.

In a matter of hours we can get back to arguing about whether or not this show is dumb!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

SuperMechagodzilla
Jun 9, 2007

NEWT REBORN
Of course the reviews are genuine; there's no such thing as a 'fake review'.

If a bunch of people write reviews, that's just reviewing - even if the reviews are basically just poorly-written whinge tweets and/or openly racist. (Have you actually read the crap that passes for 'official criticism' on Rottentomatoes Dot Com?). There are zero standards for reviewing - especially with user-submitted content.

The actual surprise is that you don't see racist screeds on every single webpage, about every single movie - but that's simply because their little nazi brains get tired. They're sticking to whatever's "high-profile" to save effort, as a high-profile mediocrity will have more viewers - and fewer 'defenders' doing positive reviews ("review-building"?).

Like, if the stupid tomato number go down, that is seen as an endorsement of their worldview. So, if a show is already perceived as mediocre, that's a lower stupid tomato number and therefore a stronger endorsement.

teagone
Jun 10, 2003

That was pretty intense, huh?

Karloff posted:

To be clear, Disney does all kinds of heinous poo poo, from the way they treat/pay their staff to outright bullying exhibitors, removing access to older films etc and hundreds more. But, it's important to focus on the things they actually do, rather than just things one speculates they would do.

Oh yeah, I'd hope anyone posting ITT would already be aware of all the crap Disney does. It's just knowing all the crap they do to maximize profits leads to specualtive obsevation like them leveraging their influence against reviewers to ensure their media dominance.

Hakkesshu posted:

This is far more of a thing with influencers and youtubers rather than legitimate publications, at least these days.

That makes sense, but I feel like most normies would rather flock to those influencers/YTers more as opposed to like reading a NY times movie review. Those get shared more often I'd guess on social media anyways, because of the wacky thumbnails and poo poo lol.

Generic American
Mar 15, 2012

I love my Peng

teagone posted:

Oh gross. I just did a google search to find something relevant to link instead of just a tweet. But lol the twitter account that shared the RT podcast clip also appears to be a shithead who supports Gina Carano and JK Rowling.

:rip:

Ironically, kinda proving the opposite point -- that for all of the valid complaints about Disney you can level, same as with critiques of the show being poorly made, there is an entire industry of bad faith actors like this site or god only knows how many Youtubers who only want to stir poo poo up because they are bigots throwing a temper tantrum about minorities and trans people.

I genuinely don't care about the issue of review bombing or buying good reviews because it is a bad show and doesn't deserve a better rating, while there are also plenty of Star Wars fans who don't need to be paid off to enjoy trash. But these people 100% exist, and to blame their actions on Disney provoking them is downright laughable.

Generic American fucked around with this message at 14:54 on Jun 21, 2022

chitoryu12
Apr 24, 2014

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RZnXjJqJp8g

Halloween Jack
Sep 12, 2003
I WILL CUT OFF BOTH OF MY ARMS BEFORE I VOTE FOR ANYONE THAT IS MORE POPULAR THAN BERNIE!!!!!

Everyone posted:

Well, that last part's a bit of a reach. Anakin never struck me as someone who gave much of a poo poo about larger entities/organizations either as a Jedi or as Vader. He was always focused on those relatively few people with whom he had a genuinely close connection.
In the first film, Vader's been working to wipe out the Rebellion for years. And as far as he knows, his whole family is dead. How is it personal?

Vinylshadow
Mar 20, 2017

Finally, Weird Al is canon to Star Wars

...again!

Rev. Bleech_
Oct 19, 2004

~OKAY, WE'LL DRINK TO OUR LEGS!~

TheDeadlyShoe posted:

I don't remember the part of the Bible where Jesus put on a black mask and murdered all the Christians he could find.

<Pilate> IT'S OVER SON OF MAN! I HAVE THE HIGH GROUND!

TheBigBudgetSequel
Nov 25, 2008

It's not who I am underneath, but what I do that defines me.

teagone posted:

Oh nooooow they listen to him, lmao.

He's been involved in most of the Disney+ stuff, as well as Solo. It's really the sequels that didn't involve him (and I am sure he's grateful not to be involved in what turned out to be a jumbled mess of ideas)

Just Chamber
Feb 10, 2014

WE MUST RETURN TO THE DANCE! THE NIGHT IS OURS!

Alchenar posted:

What makes Star Wars Star Wars is that baked into the setting is that there is a fundamental force of good in the universe and if you believe in it then your faith will be rewarded.

Mando meeting Grogu and bonding with the cute baby is a fine retelling of a standard Western story. Grogu being force sensitive is the catalyst for Mando's entire belief structure to come crashing down as he is confronted with a truth he cannot understand, and that's what's driving his character progression.

Disagree that's essential to make a Star Wars thing Star Wars. There are many examples of good Star Wars media that doesnt involve that being baked in.

But also nah. Mando being force sensitive is not what causes him to have his core beliefs shaken up. He chooses to save Grogu because he can't face the idea of giving a child to the Imperials, nothing to do with seeing Grogu is force sensitive etc. He follows The Way so loyalty to the clan is paramount, and that includes going through with his bounties so he can pay tribute yet he forgoes the bounty and thus breaks a tenant of his clan's creed because he feels an attachment to an orphan that needs rescuing just like he was rescued by the Mandalorians. His faith is continuously tested and he breaks their code multiple times for Grogu but not because Grogu is force sensitive and that's shook him to the core of whatever, but because he cares and loves him. So he takes off his helmet etc etc to keep him safe. His faith is further tested by meeting other Mandalorians who don't follow this code but inform him his way is not the only way but it is in fact a fundamental religious offshoot and he doesn't need to be part of his particular religion to still stay a true Mandalorian, and his personal beliefs are being continuously challenged on his adventures (for example his initial distrust towards droids). There are many things in Mando that challenge his beliefs, but Grogu being force sensitive is not essential to it. Sure having Jedi in the story makes it a more interesting one/ exciting one potentially but I would have enjoyed Mandalorian just as much and I still say it would be great if it was about a child being hunted by Imperials and Mando protecting him with Mandalorian drama on the side. Which as Grogu seems to have abandoned Luke seems to be what we're going to get.

In fact season 1 was better than season 2 and 2 is where essentially most the Force and Jedi stuff really ramped up.

Just Chamber fucked around with this message at 19:05 on Jun 21, 2022

The REAL Goobusters
Apr 25, 2008

That DICK! posted:

You’re all arguing with a self acknowledged marketing executive. They’re just gonna keep doin words

Obi wan is a show only a marketing exec would love

That DICK!
Sep 28, 2010

hey heyyyyyy

Everyone
Sep 6, 2019

by sebmojo

Halloween Jack posted:

In the first film, Vader's been working to wipe out the Rebellion for years. And as far as he knows, his whole family is dead. How is it personal?

It's not personal. That's the point. Wiping out the Rebellion is just work to him. He doesn't truly hate them like he does/did Obi-Wan.

Sash!
Mar 16, 2001

Rev. Bleech_ posted:

<Pilate> IT'S OVER SON OF MAN! I HAVE THE HIGH GROUND!

When Palpatine realized that he had been outwitted by the Jedi, he was furious, and he gave orders to kill all the boys on Tatooine and its vicinity who were two years old and under, in accordance with the time he had learned from the Jedi.

Sash!
Mar 16, 2001

Now that I think about it, Obi-Wan having to hide Luke from a Baby Order 66 sounds terrifying and awesome.

Awesome in the "powerful and stunning" not the "hey wasn't it cool when all babies were murdered" way

That DICK!
Sep 28, 2010

ill give you this, im imagining the order 66 jedi execution sequence but they're just like, normal human babies, and its very good

Vinylshadow
Mar 20, 2017

I mean...we never see what happened to all clone babies in Bad Batch...

nine-gear crow
Aug 10, 2013

TheBigBudgetSequel posted:

He's been involved in most of the Disney+ stuff, as well as Solo. It's really the sequels that didn't involve him (and I am sure he's grateful not to be involved in what turned out to be a jumbled mess of ideas)

Lucas loved The Last Jedi and it was the one film in the trilogy that even bothered to try and incorporate anything from his original treatment pitch he left Disney on his way out the door, but whatever.

Everyone
Sep 6, 2019

by sebmojo

Sash! posted:

When Palpatine realized that he had been outwitted by the Jedi, he was furious, and he gave orders to kill all the boys on Tatooine and its vicinity who were two years old and under, in accordance with the time he had learned from the Jedi.

Owen and Beru have to flee with Baby Luke to Egypt where they encounter Ra and other Goa'uld from Stargate.

Ironslave
Aug 8, 2006

Corpse runner

nine-gear crow posted:

Lucas loved The Last Jedi and it was the one film in the trilogy that even bothered to try and incorporate anything from his original treatment pitch he left Disney on his way out the door, but whatever.

I'm curious about this original treatment pitch. Is there a place that summarizes it?

No Mods No Masters
Oct 3, 2004

It was about a rey like character named winky and the main antagonist was darth maul. And/or it was about the microscopic world of midchlorians a la osmosis jones. Weird that disney wasn't into it but oh well

That DICK!
Sep 28, 2010

george lucas has produced exactly three good things in his life and that's the time he called disney white slavers, a couple minutes later when he made that excellent gambling metaphor for why all entertainment media sucks now, and his beautiful loving children

That DICK!
Sep 28, 2010

think media monopolies are 'cool'? prepare to have your rear end kicked by mr. lucas' MMA daughter

romanowski
Nov 10, 2012

That DICK! posted:

george lucas has produced exactly three good things in his life and that's the time he called disney white slavers, a couple minutes later when he made that excellent gambling metaphor for why all entertainment media sucks now, and his beautiful loving children

there's also that story where someone asked him at a fan convention what happened to the characters after the OT and he just says they died

No Mods No Masters
Oct 3, 2004

Here's an article summing up what trickled out about the winkie treatment https://www.ign.com/articles/star-wars-george-lucas-sequel-trilogy-plot-abandoned-canceled-darth-maul. What I've never really understood was the relationship between that stuff and the seemingly completely different microscopic world treatment, if they were two different treatments, if it never existed and lucas was just trolling, or what

nine-gear crow
Aug 10, 2013

Ironslave posted:

I'm curious about this original treatment pitch. Is there a place that summarizes it?

No Mods No Masters posted:

Here's an article summing up what trickled out about the winkie treatment https://www.ign.com/articles/star-wars-george-lucas-sequel-trilogy-plot-abandoned-canceled-darth-maul. What I've never really understood was the relationship between that stuff and the seemingly completely different microscopic world treatment, if they were two different treatments, if it never existed and lucas was just trolling, or what

This one here ^^

The tl;dr is that Leia was actually the Chosen One who was going to save the galaxy once and for all, Luke was just a stopgap. He hosed up huge between Return of the Jedi and Episode VII, his new Jedi Order turned out to be a shambles, and he fled into exile and cut himself off from the Force in shame and self-pity before he's tracked down by a young woman who's extremely powerful with the Force, yet unskilled. She asks him to train her and says the galaxy needs Luke Skywalker again, and he tells her to gently caress off before giving in because she's the protagonist of the story, that's why, and Luke's plot in the story ends with him making an epic sacrifice and dying a hero to rekindle the light of hope in the galaxy at the end of Episode VIII.

Basically a big giant :thunk: to everyone who continues to go "George Lucas would hate/hates The Last Jedi."

He wrote The Last Jedi!

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?
Much like Kenobi, the bones of a good story are there but the execution leaves a lot to be desired.

TheBigBudgetSequel
Nov 25, 2008

It's not who I am underneath, but what I do that defines me.

nine-gear crow posted:

Oh that I know, I was more referring to the JJ portions. His reaction to TFA was fairly cold, and I have no idea what he thought of RoS.

I do know that he saw RoS, went and rode Disney World's Rise of the Resistance the next day and spoiled the film's ending for the "First Order" cast there when he cracked wise about them all dying at the end of the movie.

2house2fly
Nov 14, 2012

You did a super job wrapping things up! And I'm not just saying that because I have to!
Where did George Lucas say he liked episode 8? I didn't actually know he'd said anything about them except that Force Awakens was "something the fans would like" and he was disappointed they didn't push the envelope technologically

teagone
Jun 10, 2003

That was pretty intense, huh?

2house2fly posted:

Where did George Lucas say he liked episode 8? I didn't actually know he'd said anything about them except that Force Awakens was "something the fans would like" and he was disappointed they didn't push the envelope technologically

He was quoted saying "it was beautifully made" by one his reps after he screened the film. https://www.hollywoodreporter.com/movies/movie-news/star-wars-george-lucas-thinks-last-jedi-was-beautifully-made-1067092/

nine-gear crow
Aug 10, 2013

2house2fly posted:

He said it was "beautifully made" and tracked down Rian Johnson just to have a conversation with him about it. He hasn't talked about it beyond that, and didn't say a drat word about The Rise of Skywalker. So his silence will remain a mystery best left unsolved.

But from the sound of things, TLJ appears to be the only one of the sequels he liked without any sort of qualifier attached to it like TFA got.

That DICK!
Sep 28, 2010

teagone posted:

He was quoted saying "it was beautifully made" by one his reps after he screened the film. https://www.hollywoodreporter.com/movies/movie-news/star-wars-george-lucas-thinks-last-jedi-was-beautifully-made-1067092/

nine gear crow i genuinely appreciate how you just go whole hog on whatever weak pr poo poo gets put out in order to stick it to arguments no one cares about that are only being made on the most bitter ignorable subreddits in existence

nine-gear crow
Aug 10, 2013

That DICK! posted:

nine gear crow i genuinely appreciate how you just go whole hog on whatever weak pr poo poo gets put out in order to stick it to arguments no one cares about that are only being made on the most bitter ignorable subreddits in existence

It's nice to feel appreciated. Thank you :allears:

That DICK!
Sep 28, 2010

loved the film so much he didn't bother to see the sequel concluding the trilogy, must be because he'd been scrolling through ScreenFart and saw the disrespectful treatment JJ abrams was giving Last Jedi and wanted to protest; it wasnt because he was a tired old man who was 5 films past being over
this poo poo and uninterested in a 7 hour drive to hollywood

nine-gear crow
Aug 10, 2013
Ol' Georgie got out ahead of the curve of "people regretting they watched The Rise of Skywalker" by simply never watching The Rise of Skywalker. Even in his old age, the man is still visionary :v:

That DICK!
Sep 28, 2010

we agree on this, the man is a forward seeing visionary

The REAL Goobusters
Apr 25, 2008

nine-gear crow posted:

Citation needed

Nvm it was provided but also lol

kliras
Mar 27, 2021
the best way to watch a star wars movie is probably at skywalker ranch

also you can fast forward and pause to go pee

That DICK!
Sep 28, 2010

this article is a goldmine, on solo:

i dont wanna talk about it anymore

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

No Mods No Masters
Oct 3, 2004

Love too strongly support the film (by being on set for as much as one full hour)