Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Candygram
Mar 25, 2009

Flowers? Plumber? Wait. I-I'm only a dolphin, ma'am.
My doctor offered me either Adderall or Strattera to start, so I'm starting Strattera as my first round of medications. It's dandy that she gave me the choice and is finally the first doc that has not treated me like a faker who just wants Adderall, but I am bipolar and a bit apprehensive to try a stimulant. So Strattera it is, for now. My doctor and psych have my family keeping a watchful eye to make sure it doesn't trigger a manic or severe depressive episode. So far I am just nauseous.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

TheGopher
Sep 7, 2009
I couldn't take Strattera. I would take half of the prescribed dose to ween myself on it and I would be so nauseous it was painful, and lasted for hours. Tried it a few more days and it never got better. Not sure how people who successfully use the medication respond, but I wound up not being able to continue.

Small victory at work for me today when I think I finally made my boss and supervisor realize not enough poo poo is written down. I was telling the office manager that we don't have any clearly defined objectives for our current project, and she started rattling off a list. I asked her to show me where that was written down and she was at a loss for words. I've been pushing really hard for us to use Google Apps because it has shared everything, and will make my life so much easier at work, but right now we have a really lovely proprietary call log that barely works like it should. I told her we need a way to see a list of clients we've successfully completed an upgrade for, and she said, "it's in the call log!" I asked her if she could pull up a list for me of stores we've done by date, and she was at a loss for words.

Hurray for one small step towards getting the tools I need to be successful at work. In other news this is the 9th month I've been at my current job. My last job ended in March of '09 and only lasted for 6 months. Going out tonight and socializing some of the stress from today away, but I'll be celebrating the fact that I could probably hold down this job for at least another year if I really had to. (This job is objectively terrible, but I'm not quitting until I have another job first, so we'll see how long that takes)

Chin Strap
Nov 24, 2002

I failed my TFLC Toxx, but I no longer need a double chin strap :buddy:
Pillbug
Anyone know what the long term implications of stims in the day and a sleeping pill at night forever would be? The stimulants really really help, but at any effective dosage I'm being kept up at night. I'm hoping the insomnia goes away, but if not I'm wondering if I could just take a (doctor prescribed) sleeping pill daily. It *sounds* bad, but I can't really elaborate why.

wilfredmerriweathr
Jul 11, 2005
In my experience it leads to an increase in anxiety and nervousness and a decrease in the effectiveness of your ADD meds, plus your brain gets kinda "foggy" from the sleeping pills. Basically you end up just getting the lovely side effects of the medications.

I feel you though, I can't take XR medications because of the insomnia. In fact at this point even IR dex/adderall keep me up, but interestingly methamphetamine (prescribed, desoxyn) does not. It is much more soothing and mellow than any other ADD stim (this is a common observation among people scripted desoxyn).

Try exercising more, but really the biggest help I've found is to get in bed BEFORE the "rebound" effect happens. The "rebound" is what you get after your meds have completely worn off and your ADD kicks back into high gear - as a kid I'd always stay up til like midnight-1 am and then be unable to get to sleep, but if I get in bed before 10 (when my medication is just wearing off) then I rarely have trouble getting to sleep.

ladyweapon
Nov 6, 2010

It reads all over his face,
like he's an Italian.
I take adderall twice daily and restoril (temazepam) at night as needed. It works fine for me, no fog in the morning, and I don't have to take it every night. I averages to about 2-3x/week that I take it.

TheBigBad
Feb 28, 2004

Madness is rare in individuals, but in groups, parties, nations and ages it is the rule.
I've done Ambien + Concerta for over 9 months now, and there doesnt seem to be any ill effects.

SAVE-LISP-AND-DIE
Nov 4, 2010
11:30pm isn't the best time to feel compelled to go on a 45 minute bike ride when you've decided to stay up all night due to the heady mixture of brain chatter and internet, especially when you have to go to the airport at 7 the next morning. drat you, self :argh:.

For actual content: It feels like my relationship with my partner of 3 years is taking a turn for the weird. It feels like it's approaching almost a parent/child relationship where my girlfriend feels the need to help instruct and remind me of lots of (simple) things. Yeah it's sometimes helpful but a lot of the time it makes me feel like a wee kid again. I know it's only out of love but I want a girlfriend drat it, not a second mother!

The reason I bring it up in this thread is that I read somewhere that this happens quite often with ADHD/non-ADHD couples. Anyone have any experience with this?

Also to pre-empt the inevitable: don't worry, I am going to bring it up at the next suitable opportunity like a normal adult in a normal relationship.

TheBigBad
Feb 28, 2004

Madness is rare in individuals, but in groups, parties, nations and ages it is the rule.
I'm kind of in this period with my wife. I actually feel bad in the inverse way... I need the help to build good habits and better life skills, and its the first time in my life I've let anyone 'help' me. On the other hand, we're happily married and have been for a while so its a much different dynamic. I certainly can appreciate how that dynamic would be a concern as boyfriend/girlfriend.

I operate with the intention of being not only self-sufficient but improved. Every time it happens try to figure out how to prevent it from happening again. The other thing to remember is to be openly grateful, and appreciative. Saying thank you goes a long way.

Candygram
Mar 25, 2009

Flowers? Plumber? Wait. I-I'm only a dolphin, ma'am.
Ugh the Strattera completely destroyed my stomach, and that was on the lowest dose possible.

Wartime Consigliere
Mar 27, 2010

by T. Fine

strange posted:

For actual content: It feels like my relationship with my partner of 3 years is taking a turn for the weird. It feels like it's approaching almost a parent/child relationship where my girlfriend feels the need to help instruct and remind me of lots of (simple) things. Yeah it's sometimes helpful but a lot of the time it makes me feel like a wee kid again. I know it's only out of love but I want a girlfriend drat it, not a second mother!

How do you think she feels about it?

SLUDS
Feb 23, 2011

Chin Strap posted:

Anyone know what the long term implications of stims in the day and a sleeping pill at night forever would be? The stimulants really really help, but at any effective dosage I'm being kept up at night. I'm hoping the insomnia goes away, but if not I'm wondering if I could just take a (doctor prescribed) sleeping pill daily. It *sounds* bad, but I can't really elaborate why.

I take zopiclone every night (not because of stimulants, I just can't fall asleep in a reasonable time). I don't notice any sluggishness in the morning or anything like that. I was worried about dependence at first but from what I've read and heard from my doctor, it shouldn't be a problem if you don't increase the dose on your own. Ask your doctor about it.

ladyweapon
Nov 6, 2010

like he's an Italian.
Trying to study for my math exam tomorrow morning. Adderall is out of my system and Im drinking coffee. This is my normal bed time and my body wants to sleep but theres two full sections of math I literally have never looked at.

And I can't focus for poo poo

:smithicide:

edit to redact smithicide: I just realized since Im being forced to miss my (morning) shift, I dont have to get up till ~745am instead of ~6AM so I can stay up till about 11:30 or midnight and study. if anyone wants to chat on aim, it strangely helps me focus (i think. Especially if you want to tutor my dumbass in algebra

ladyweapon fucked around with this message at 05:19 on Apr 11, 2011

SAVE-LISP-AND-DIE
Nov 4, 2010

Wartime Consigliere posted:

How do you think she feels about it?

I know! Maybe I came across as a little bit too much "poor me" but I'd rather it not be this way for her sake just as much as mine. I was looking for advice for me on how to avoid creating the situation.

Thanks, TheBigBad. I do remember to mind my Ps and Qs when I get help from her, so at least I'm not getting upset at her over this stuff. I can just sort of see where this will head if I don't make changes to how I act or whatever.

2508084: What level math are you studying for?

ladyweapon
Nov 6, 2010

like he's an Italian.

strange posted:

I know! Maybe I came across as a little bit too much "poor me" but I'd rather it not be this way for her sake just as much as mine. I was looking for advice for me on how to avoid creating the situation.

I think people are so used to bad, unsupportive relationships, that they don't know what supportive, loving relationships feel like so they connect it to the only supportive, loving relationship they know of - parent and child. Everyone has faults and issues, everyone needs help and guidance. So your girlfriend has to keep a list of chores for you (or whatever the issue may be), I'm sure there are things you have to keep up on with your girlfriend. A good relationship is one where both people ensure their partner is functioning as well as can be helped.

quote:

2508084: What level math are you studying for?
Beginning Algebra :smithicide:

I'm done fine right now, i havent hit the two sections i havent covered yet, Im just distracted(:lol:) as hell. I think its a confidence issue, mostly. I am not confident in my mathematical ability so when the test is slammed down in front of me I lose my poo poo.

Zero Trust
Dec 29, 2009

"the car's on fire, and there's no driver at the wheel..."

Zero Trust fucked around with this message at 12:39 on Jul 15, 2023

ladyweapon
Nov 6, 2010

like he's an Italian.

Epileptic Nazi posted:

Should I be going back to the doctors to see if my ADHD is on its way to making me fail this too?

If you're having a fundamental issue meeting your daily work needs, its never a bad idea to see a doctor about possible problems.

Zero Trust
Dec 29, 2009

"the car's on fire, and there's no driver at the wheel..."

Zero Trust fucked around with this message at 12:39 on Jul 15, 2023

Slo-Tek
Jun 8, 2001

WINDOWS 98 BEAT HIS FRIEND WITH A SHOVEL

strange posted:

I've had good luck with division of labor. Wife picks up everything schedule-related, keeps the shared google-calendar updated (this is amazingly useful). And I do things that require short bouts of hyperfocus, like building things, or are otherwise interesting, self-scheduled, or self-contained.

You do have to sit down and talk about it, and explain that you aren't interested in a second mom, and that you aren't looking to shift your own responsibilities onto her, but looking for a way to do more than your share of what you are good at in exchange for her doing more of what you aren't good at.

ladyweapon
Nov 6, 2010

like he's an Italian.

Slo-Tek posted:

keeps the shared google-calendar updated (this is amazingly useful)

I barely ever miss appointments thanks to the automatic google->android sync feature. Enter everything into google calendar, and it goes to my phone with a 2 hour alarm.

text editor
Jan 8, 2007
Chiming in on the Google Calendar love, the only problem is when I forget to check it.

Edit: I should add that Dropbox is also very useful if you are terrible at remembering to upload documents to school servers/a flash drive.

It has saved my rear end several times when I neglect to copy over files before leaving for class.

Chin Strap
Nov 24, 2002

I failed my TFLC Toxx, but I no longer need a double chin strap :buddy:
Pillbug
ADHD moment of the week for me. I was supposed to go across country for a business trip. I bought plane tickets, car rental, hotel room, etc about a month ago. I thought I was supposed to be flying out this coming Sunday (the 17th). Turns out I was supposed to fly out last night (the 10th). I didn't realize this fact until today. God I feel like such an idiot. I even put it on my calendar for the right dates, but in my mind it was cemented that I was going next week :(

TheGopher
Sep 7, 2009
My life would be in ruins without my Google Calendar syncing to my phone.

Wartime Consigliere
Mar 27, 2010

by T. Fine
I recently had to go from a Blackberry to an actual cell phone and while I kind of miss being able to do Facebook, Twitter, and the Internet from my phone, I think it's better this way. I tried Google Tasks but really I was distracted a lot more often than not with a smartphone.

strange posted:

I asked that question partly because of the tone of the original post, but mostly because my wife hated it.

She will make lists for me still, but it's no longer an everyday thing. I can function like a normal person now and do things that need to be done. I still do better with a list but now I am better at making my own.

Effexxor
May 26, 2008

So I became a manager at my call center about 4 months ago. It was rough from the start, because apparently I was too stern and people bitched to my supervisor that I thought I was better than them. I felt like things had gotten a lot better and that I was finally getting the hang of it till a bunch of people went to my supervisor and said that I was too strict and was making them not come to work.

I tried my damndest to connect with the staff and be my happy, bubbly self, but apparently it wasn't enough because my supervisor basically demoted me. She says when my relationship improves with the staff I can be a manager again, but I don't even know how I can look anyone in the face any more, knowing that some of them don't even want to come to work because of me. This is especially devastating because I thought I was doing really well and was finally good at something for once in my loving life, and instead I'm just a failure. Again.

I hate that I never know if people like me or not. I hate that I never know what I'm doing in social situations. I try so hard to be that nice, bubbly, helpful girl and act like a ditz to make people like me, but that's not how a manager can act. So I tried to be calm and firm and it all blew the gently caress up in my face. I am glad for the creativity and bravery that ADHD has given me, but I'll be damned if the social side of it doesn't just kill me.

TheBigBad
Feb 28, 2004

Effexxor posted:

So I became a manager at my call center about 4 months ago. It was rough from the start, because apparently I was too stern and people bitched to my supervisor that I thought I was better than them. I felt like things had gotten a lot better and that I was finally getting the hang of it till a bunch of people went to my supervisor and said that I was too strict and was making them not come to work.

I tried my damndest to connect with the staff and be my happy, bubbly self, but apparently it wasn't enough because my supervisor basically demoted me. She says when my relationship improves with the staff I can be a manager again, but I don't even know how I can look anyone in the face any more, knowing that some of them don't even want to come to work because of me. This is especially devastating because I thought I was doing really well and was finally good at something for once in my loving life, and instead I'm just a failure. Again.

I hate that I never know if people like me or not. I hate that I never know what I'm doing in social situations. I try so hard to be that nice, bubbly, helpful girl and act like a ditz to make people like me, but that's not how a manager can act. So I tried to be calm and firm and it all blew the gently caress up in my face. I am glad for the creativity and bravery that ADHD has given me, but I'll be damned if the social side of it doesn't just kill me.

It absolutely sucks, and I completely empathize with you.

Ask for training. Don't look at it as a summary result, just simply a step along the way. So now we know you're not very good at being a supervisor, how do you figure out how to get there. Even if you don't get your manager job back right away, you can still improve your people skills for the next time. You are good enough to get there in the first place, you will be able to figure this out and get there again.

Effexxor
May 26, 2008

TheBigBad posted:

It absolutely sucks, and I completely empathize with you.

Ask for training. Don't look at it as a summary result, just simply a step along the way. So now we know you're not very good at being a supervisor, how do you figure out how to get there. Even if you don't get your manager job back right away, you can still improve your people skills for the next time. You are good enough to get there in the first place, you will be able to figure this out and get there again.

I just don't know what specifically I need to do. Not tell anyone to stop what they're doing? I've been doing what I've been told to do, talk to the person in private and explain why and what we're need them to do, I just don't get why it's not working.

The biggest reason that I'm upset is because this is the first job/place that I've been good at. People liked me, I did my job really well, I felt like I was really accomplishing something and being good at something, only to find out that no, I'm not liked and no, I'm not good at it. It's a blow to the very fragile sense of self worth I've just become to develop.

TheBigBad
Feb 28, 2004

Effexxor posted:

I just don't know what specifically I need to do. Not tell anyone to stop what they're doing? I've been doing what I've been told to do, talk to the person in private and explain why and what we're need them to do, I just don't get why it's not working.

The biggest reason that I'm upset is because this is the first job/place that I've been good at. People liked me, I did my job really well, I felt like I was really accomplishing something and being good at something, only to find out that no, I'm not liked and no, I'm not good at it. It's a blow to the very fragile sense of self worth I've just become to develop.

It sounds like its still very fresh and raw. Keep in mind that you did earn it in the first place, this has very little to do with who you are as a person. People skills are learned and can be developed, and its okay that this happened because you can overcome it. Figure out how you got the promotion in the first place and focus on that. Worrying about what 'everyone' thinks wont be productive.

TheGopher
Sep 7, 2009
That happened to me about a year ago. I got fired from my job at Whole Foods in December of '09, and a friend called me up the same day and asked if I wanted to give him a ride to a movie set and be an extra with him.

Long story short, I quickly was invited to work as a Production Assistant, and though it was unpaid, it was a great opportunity because the crew was so small. After working my rear end off I was invited to the next film the 1st Assistant Director was working on, and because they couldn't pay me, as they already had all the PA's lined up, they offered me an Assistant Director credit instead, and a few more responsibilities.

Long story short, it all went straight to my head. I went from a really nice, enthusiastic, and hardworking guy to a loving rear end in a top hat with an attitude. I focused way too much on getting the job done, and trying to make everything perfect, but mostly it was just my ego. I passed up an opportunity to keep working with this crew, because in the very beginning I was pretty much guaranteed to continue getting work for as long as the 1st AD got work. Towards the end of that gig, I noticed people treating me differently, and some even made a few comments. On the last day of the gig, it was pretty much made clear that I would not be continuing to work with these people in any capacity. They didn't put all the blame on me, and said they could have done better too, but ultimately I didn't rise up to the role of responsibility like they had hoped.

Even though I blew another brilliant opportunity in my life, doing work in an industry that's incredibly difficult to break into, it gave me probably the single most important learning experience of my life. I was mopey and depressed for weeks after the fact. I stopped picking up my phone and just stayed inside. I was totally humiliated, embarrassed, and simply felt like a colossal failure. Eventually, I stopped feeling like poo poo, and I got my act together and was lucky enough to catch a break doing IT work. I can attribute a huge part of my continued success to that single point of failure. I got to act like the King poo poo I thought everybody expected me to be, and what I ultimately saw was that I only ever needed to be myself, because people already like me for who I am.

I guess what I'm ultimately getting at is whenever you have a big moment where you feel like you hosed up, you have an opportunity to learn from it. I know it sounds obvious, but while I regret some of the specific mistakes I made, I don't regret the experience as a whole, because it's allowed me ultimately become a better person. I'm not going to repeat those same mistakes ever again, because I learned the hard way.

Ultimately, you want to just do the right thing. Just keep being yourself, and keep trying because small setbacks like this aren't defeats, just another life experience.

Dolemite
Jun 30, 2005
So lately, its felt like there will be some days where the adderall is working like it should to help me focus. But other days, it will feel like the meds aren't working as well. By that, I mean that I'll still have that ADHD 'fog' of not being able to concentrate on something as well as you can on the meds. The medicine will be working, but not at 100%. Maybe more like 50-60%

I'm trying to pin down what's causing it! I've noticed that in general, I need to eat more. The psych said it's important to eat or I'll piss out all the adderall from my system before I can benefit from it. I swear that I start to feel lightheaded or veeerrryyy slightly dizzy on days I don't eat as much. I began to put 2 and 2 together when I ate my usual breakfast and lunch. But, I skipped my lunchtime bike ride. I didn't feel as bad that day. I guess not burning those 300 calories on the quick 30 minute ride helped.

I've also noticed that how well I sleep makes a difference. I just had a little baby boy, so Lil Dude keeps us up all night. I'll be dead tired when I need to go to work. I'll get to work, eat, take my first dose of adderall, but never really be able to concentrate or focus on anything. Its been a pain in the rear end to write my web apps and focus on coding. Especially now that I'm in the debugging phase where I need to really focus so I can track down where my poo poo is breaking.

So other than potentially not eating enough and not getting enough sleep, I can't figure out what else causes the inconsistency. I wouldn't think to immediately up the dose because on days that it's working great, I think that I wouldn't want more of the adderall feeling. I think I'm at a good balance of calm and relaxed. Any more of the dosage and I feel I could go past calm and relaxed and into a zombie mode or something.

I hope this made sense. I'm about to go to bed soon. Hopefully Lil Guy sleeps long enough that I can get some decent sleep!

Qu Appelle
Nov 3, 2005

"If a COVID-19 pandemic occurs, public health officials may have additional instructions, such as avoiding close contact with others as much as possible, and staying home if someone in your household is sick." - Official insights from Public Health: Seattle & King County staff

Effexxor posted:

I also completely empathize.

At one of my last contracts, I was pushed into a Supervisor position despite having no training in it, and really no interest. Sore enough, I sucked at it, and after a heart-to-heart with my boss, I basically told him that the stress wasn't worth it. So I asked for, and got, a less people-supervising role that was more tech-heavy instead, which was a perfect fit. Because when I was a supervisor, I turned into a jerk. Not to imply that you were a jerk at all, just that I was. And I felt really bad about it too. (In my case, I think it came from being really rules-based as a kid: If there was a rule and I followed it, I'd be OK. I didn't really do well with ambivalence at all.)

I'd ask for training or coaching on it. Truthfully, I think that a lot more people who have supervisory roles could use training or mentoring on it. Good luck!

Wartime Consigliere
Mar 27, 2010

by T. Fine

Dolemite posted:

So other than potentially not eating enough and not getting enough sleep, I can't figure out what else causes the inconsistency. I wouldn't think to immediately up the dose because on days that it's working great, I think that I wouldn't want more of the adderall feeling. I think I'm at a good balance of calm and relaxed. Any more of the dosage and I feel I could go past calm and relaxed and into a zombie mode or something.

Vitamin C can cut down on the effectiveness of Adderall. Most drugs are helped by Vitamin C but for Adderall it's the opposite. So if you are drinking orange or grapefruit juice or maybe taking a multivitamin that could affect it.

I take my multivitamin before bed and my other vitamins during the day.

Dolemite
Jun 30, 2005

Wartime Consigliere posted:

Vitamin C can cut down on the effectiveness of Adderall. Most drugs are helped by Vitamin C but for Adderall it's the opposite. So if you are drinking orange or grapefruit juice or maybe taking a multivitamin that could affect it.

I take my multivitamin before bed and my other vitamins during the day.
Oh! I think I found the problem then! Usually an hour after breakfast (and my first dose), I'll eat two oranges as a snack.

I'll try something else as a snack today and see what happens. :)

Effexxor
May 26, 2008

I think it's an issue of no structure, and how I tried to create more structure, and in turn that drove some people nuts. The rules are there for a reason and they need to be followed, but since the other managers weren't making people follow the rules, I felt the need to do it. It's just going to be really awkward going back there today.

I also think that since I told my supervisor that I was starting on anti depressants, she took that to mean that I needed time off to get myself together, without realizing that this kinda crushed me. I appreciate the support though, ADHD goons. I've asked her to ask them what specifically I did right and what I did wrong so I actually know what to do.

signalnoise
Mar 7, 2008

i was told my old av was distracting
Today's ADHD thing for me

Thought I was doing great in my ERP implementation class, working on the last deliverable assignment of the semester. Everything is great, right? WRONG. I took at a look at the syllabus and realized that the COMPLETE WORK SYSTEM MODEL that I thought was a regular deliverable was actually an additional assignment that effectively counted as a 20% of the final grade midterm. I now have the rest of the week to knock that out as well as this final deliverable, and that's incredibly lenient. I am basically saved because my professor wants me to be his PhD research monkey, I'm pretty sure of that.

The thing that really kills me is that I had really heavily tried to organize my entire work plan for the semester ahead of time, it was just an oversight in my scheduling.

Way to go forgetting to do huge projects yay

ladyweapon
Nov 6, 2010

like he's an Italian.

signalnoise posted:

Today's ADHD thing for me

Thought I was doing great in my ERP implementation class, working on the last deliverable assignment of the semester. Everything is great, right? WRONG. I took at a look at the syllabus and realized that the COMPLETE WORK SYSTEM MODEL that I thought was a regular deliverable was actually an additional assignment that effectively counted as a 20% of the final grade midterm. I now have the rest of the week to knock that out as well as this final deliverable, and that's incredibly lenient. I am basically saved because my professor wants me to be his PhD research monkey, I'm pretty sure of that.
Way to go forgetting to do huge projects yay

poo poo like that happens to everyone. You overlooked something, but since you double checked ahead of time, it sounds like you have enough time to get it in (even if its just under the buzzer).

TheBigBad
Feb 28, 2004

Effexxor posted:

I was thinking about this, this morning,and it reminds me of a few career limiting moves I've made over the years. Ultimately a talented cognitive therapist helped me overcome these predispositions. I don't know if it was a cultural difference or simply the times, but my parents never equipped me for social norms so I didn't even have a reference to realize why I was pissing people off. I think the company I worked for had experience so I tended to become the subject matter expert rather than the supervisor until my therapist taught me what was 'normal' vs what was antisocial behavior. Nine times out of ten it wasn't my original behavior,just my reaction to their negative reaction that got me in the situation you describe. So whether it's being insensitive when they don't like the new and warranted discipline, or being too sensitive and going too buddy buddy... That's where I suspect we all get into trouble. Anyway hope that helps.

TheBigBad fucked around with this message at 01:06 on Apr 13, 2011

Effexxor
May 26, 2008

TheBigBad posted:

I was thinking about this, this morning,and it reminds me of a few career limiting moves I've made over the years. Ultimately a talented cognitive therapist helped me overcome these predispositions. I don't know if it was a cultural difference or simply the times, but my parents never equipped me for social norms so I didn't even have a reference to realize why I was pissing people off. I think the company I worked for had experience so I tended to become the subject matter expert rather than the supervisor until my therapist taught me what was 'normal' vs what was antisocial behavior. Nine times out of ten it wasn't my original behavior,just my reaction to their negative reaction that got me in the situation you describe. So whether it's being insensitive when they don't like the new and warranted discipline, or being too sensitive and going too buddy buddy... That's where I suspect we all get into trouble. Anyway hope that helps.

I just really don't know. I asked my supervisor about asking those people about what specifically I did wrong, and she told me I needed to get over it, something she's told me a couple of times about things. But if I don't know what to work on, how can I get any better?

The other thing is that I'm noticing a clique appearing. When we go for smoke breaks, a group congregated together in a whole new place, which is kinda odd. I'm also putting things together in my mind, and realized that when one of our canvassers had a going away party, I heard all about it but was never actually invited. And some of the people in that clique haven't been looking me in the face today. All in all, it's feeling just like college and high school, where everyone would clique together, except for me. So I feel even more isolated and insecure. They're all people who party together after work, and suddenly my no drama workplace has drama.

TheBigBad
Feb 28, 2004

The simple truth is that, 90% of that is in your head. We're not important enough to register in other people's thoughts. Even if there is some drama, it will pass, or its just normal you don't invite your boss out to drinks. I would find a cognitive therapist who is really good, meaning has practiced for 10-15 years and find some way to keep as busy as possible in the meantime.

Dolemite
Jun 30, 2005

Dolemite posted:

Oh! I think I found the problem then! Usually an hour after breakfast (and my first dose), I'll eat two oranges as a snack.

I'll try something else as a snack today and see what happens. :)

Quoting myself because man, I think not chowing down on oranges an hour or two after taking my adderall seemed to help today!

Granted, I know a big help was that Lil Baby slept great and so did I. But on top of that, I cut out the oranges. I noticed that the adderall was effective all day. I'm going to try switching to apples instead as my day time snack and see how the orange free diet goes.

I'm glad this thread exists! I would've never figured out that a healthy fruit is something that needed to be tossed from my diet!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Effexxor
May 26, 2008

TheBigBad posted:

The simple truth is that, 90% of that is in your head. We're not important enough to register in other people's thoughts. Even if there is some drama, it will pass, or its just normal you don't invite your boss out to drinks. I would find a cognitive therapist who is really good, meaning has practiced for 10-15 years and find some way to keep as busy as possible in the meantime.

True. And I'd probably be able to talk my parents into paying for a few sessions with the CB therapist I saw a year ago. Literally, my mother says that if you cry for more than 10 minutes, you should probably see a therapist. I am enjoying just calling right now. I fundraise for non profits and one of our groups is a group that helps rape victims and just as I was thinking about finding another job, I talked to a woman who opened the call with 'I can't help, I'm broke and I just put my 2 weeks in because I can't take my job anymore'. I stuttered for a bit and responded that she had no idea how much I empathized. I was talking about how common rape is, and she cut me off and donated $25 because "I just realized that my life isn't so bad." She thanked me for doing what I do, and I thanked her profusely for saying what she said. And when I asked her if she could help again in 3 months, and this woman who was just crushed and feeling hopeless about her situation actually said "You know what? My life COULD be amazing in three months. I could help with even more in three months. Call me back, because I shouldn't sell myself short." Afterwards I had to get off the dialer and cry, because it reminded me why I do what I do. We had both had this life affirming moment together. Be nice to telemarkets, ADHD'ers, you never know when you're seriously affecting someone's life.

Effexxor fucked around with this message at 06:03 on Apr 13, 2011