Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
T-Square
May 14, 2009

Threw a Yoshimura fender-eliminator kit, changed the oil, modified the airbox, and cleaned up Grom #1 today...

...because we're going to USAIR/Shawano tomorrow for an open mini-moto track day! :yayclod:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

needknees
Apr 4, 2006

Oh. My.
Signed up for a motomonday at MAM and the final weekend at MPH. Been too long since Ive been to the track! Be interesting to see how the bike acts now that it's sprung for my weight. I was fighting some mid corner push and front end chatter before.

xaarman
Mar 12, 2003

IRONKNUCKLE PERMABANNED! READ HERE
Just registered for the hotel in Hastings. If you need a crew to pit with, you're more than welcome to join.

xaarman fucked around with this message at 03:01 on Sep 11, 2014

Barnsy
Jul 22, 2013
So I'm thinking of going for a track day for the first time.

Question: What's going to be more fun/safer/better for my technique: taking an introductory course (with the little riding involved), or just renting some leathers and going for a whole day?

Z3n
Jul 21, 2007

I think the point is Z3n is a space cowboy on the edge of a frontier unknown to man, he's out there pushing the limits, trail braking into the abyss. Finding out where the edge of the razor is, turning to face the darkness and revving his 690 into it's vast gaze. You gotta live this to learn it bro.

Barnsy posted:

Question: What's going to be more fun/safer/better for my technique: taking an introductory course (with the little riding involved), or just renting some leathers and going for a whole day?

A good introductory course should be normal trackday stuff in C group plus a classroom portion. Where are you located? There's many good options I'm aware of in CA.

Barnsy
Jul 22, 2013
Sydney. Only realistic option is the sydney motorsports park.

So you're suggesting the class then? Holy crap that stuff is expensive though.

xaarman
Mar 12, 2003

Do the class, it's invaluable. Imagine driving a car without drivers ed.

Frosty-
Jan 17, 2004

In war, you kill people in order to change their minds. Remember that; it's fuckin' important.

xaarman posted:

Imagine driving a car without drivers ed.
Maybe mine was an isolated experience, but my driver's ed. class did not teach me how to drive correctly. In fact, there was very little discussion of traffic or car control at all, and the school's clapped-out Cavalier was so bizarre to drive it actually made me scared. I would assume some expensive track class is like astronaut training in comparison.

Barnsy
Jul 22, 2013
We've got california superbike school here in Sydney, have people used them before? Opinions?

550 bucks for the day + gear hire, I had better come out competing with Rossi (and on my 250 no less).

Z3n
Jul 21, 2007

I think the point is Z3n is a space cowboy on the edge of a frontier unknown to man, he's out there pushing the limits, trail braking into the abyss. Finding out where the edge of the razor is, turning to face the darkness and revving his 690 into it's vast gaze. You gotta live this to learn it bro.
Superbike school is very drill oriented, but most people seem to enjoy it - but it seems like you need to do most of the levels to get the most of out of it. Are there any options for a cheaper, more standard trackday + extra control rider oversight in your area?

Barnsy
Jul 22, 2013

Z3n posted:

Superbike school is very drill oriented, but most people seem to enjoy it - but it seems like you need to do most of the levels to get the most of out of it. Are there any options for a cheaper, more standard trackday + extra control rider oversight in your area?

Not really, there are plenty of superbike-school esque things flying around (and all above 500 bucks for a day) and the other end of the spectrum is a day track pass (with slow, medium and high speed sessions) with advisers available on request (i.e. no actual tutoring). Frankly I'm not sure the 300 buck tutoring is going to be all that useful, would probably be better to get a mate who actually knows his stuff to keep an eye on me.

epswing
Nov 4, 2003

Soiled Meat

Barnsy posted:

goons posted:

:words: of advice

Barnsy posted:

Frankly I know better than you lot, so I'm going to just do what I want.

:v:

FlerpNerpin
Apr 17, 2006

psst... $550 isn't a lot for a day of guided instruction at the track

psst... this is a really expensive hobby

Go into it expecting to blow a poo poo load of money and you'll never be disappointed.

Strictly speaking, you probably don't need a dedicated instructor or guided experience for your first track day. Just go around in a squiggly circle at a pace you wont crash your first day. If you can sign up with a provider with a beginners group that includes a classroom portion that is best, and what Z3n was trying to recommend.

Basically you go out with the moms on their ninja 250's and Joe Whiskeythrottle on his Panignale R and turn laps at 30 miles per hour at apex for 20 minutes, then sit down in a room or in a circle and one of the marshalls or instructors baby sitting the group tells you what to work on to improve.

That's an ideal environment for the first time and a great way to find out what your weaknesses are and if you like this sport.

Barnsy
Jul 22, 2013

Spiffness posted:

psst... $550 isn't a lot for a day of guided instruction at the track

psst... this is a really expensive hobby

Go into it expecting to blow a poo poo load of money and you'll never be disappointed.

Strictly speaking, you probably don't need a dedicated instructor or guided experience for your first track day. Just go around in a squiggly circle at a pace you wont crash your first day. If you can sign up with a provider with a beginners group that includes a classroom portion that is best, and what Z3n was trying to recommend.

Basically you go out with the moms on their ninja 250's and Joe Whiskeythrottle on his Panignale R and turn laps at 30 miles per hour at apex for 20 minutes, then sit down in a room or in a circle and one of the marshalls or instructors baby sitting the group tells you what to work on to improve.

That's an ideal environment for the first time and a great way to find out what your weaknesses are and if you like this sport.

Well that's what I'm looking for, it just doesn't seem to be available in Sydney. The 550, 4 hour sessions seem to be (at least at the lower levels) about very basic stuff and drills rather than just learning to ride on the track (which is what I'm interested in).

I'll give these guys a ring and see if the group session track days include some sort of supervision.

Barnsy fucked around with this message at 23:34 on Sep 23, 2014

needknees
Apr 4, 2006

Oh. My.
Getting stoked for Hastings this weekend! Weather looks like it's going to be ABSOLUTELY PERFECT and MPH is one of my fav tracks. Event is sold out so should be a great time!

xaarman - Depending on how packed the place is tonight with all the drag racers, I'm going to try and pit in my 'normal' spot which is down towards t1. Black Civic hatchback tow vehicle of doom, black ezup, green kawi.

And because I was lazy and never posted it, here's some video of my last trackday at MidAmerica. Hit a personal best at this track with a (highly accurate stopwatch timed lap... checked a couple times and was on the same tenth so at least it's close!) 1:43.7 :). Still tons of time left to find, hoping to break into the :30s next year!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=W2Jqr4Iud-s

I personally feel I lose time coming out of T1 into T2, and through the middle of T3, as well as the entrance of T7. I was mainly concentrating on entry-mid cornerspeed that day, and it showed in my laptimes. I feel MUCH better coming into T12 now, although I'm thinking with my 'little' 600 I should be kicking it down into 2nd gear between 12 and 13 for a better drive onto the straight. Lots of things happening in that string of corners so I usually leave it in third and hope the bike doesn't bog down too much.

Any tips on where to pick up a little more speed?

needknees fucked around with this message at 17:09 on Sep 26, 2014

xaarman
Mar 12, 2003

Hey, we are the red Ducati Chevy and silver F-150 about half way down

XYLOPAGUS
Aug 23, 2006
--the creator of awesome--
Any Texas goons riding GSS tomorrow with Fastline? My last track day (MSRH, also with Fastline) I hopped from Novice to Lightweight under the solid direction of some of my instructor-buddies. It was a blast but poured about midway through. I got buzzed the entire time, but it was nice to see proper lines for a few seconds while they whiz by me. There was one other guy at about my pace on his Ninja 300 so I didn't feel too badly about being slow. :3:

I've got brand new BT-003RS's for the XR400 motard and I'm stoked. This will be trackday number 6 or so for me. I'll mount the gopro to my helmet rather than use my chest mount. I got a lot of high quality gas tank footage last run.

T-Square
May 14, 2009

Aww yeah, new Midwestern Regional champion for CCS Amateur Lightweight Superbike and (I think, have to wait for results) Lightweight Grand Prix.

needknees
Apr 4, 2006

Oh. My.

T-Square posted:

Aww yeah, new Midwestern Regional champion for CCS Amateur Lightweight Superbike and (I think, have to wait for results) Lightweight Grand Prix.

Awesome, congrats!

xaarman - Good to meet you at MPH man, hope you can make it back up for a weekend or two next year! Hilarious we got paired up randomly for the TeamGP race :v:. What a blast! Still have to get through all the video I took that weekend and upload a couple.

Here's a short vid from my last MotoMonday at MAM. I hit a new personal best at this track at 1:43.198, dropping .6 off my prior best :)

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GIS-O_DAvMM

xaarman
Mar 12, 2003

needknees posted:

xaarman - Good to meet you at MPH man, hope you can make it back up for a weekend or two next year! Hilarious we got paired up randomly for the TeamGP race :v:. What a blast! Still have to get through all the video I took that weekend and upload a couple.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GIS-O_DAvMM

Yeah, it was awesome, good to meet you too! We should have won, I think his spreadsheet borked up who Team 4 was! I will definitely be coming back at least 2x next year., everything about MPH is too good to pass up (despite the drive.)

BlackMK4
Aug 23, 2006

wat.
Megamarm
Took the 749 to a trackday today having put like 200mi on it since buying it. It will stay with a stock 600 for the most part down a straight, no more passing with power - it's all setting up corners and corner speed. Was riding faster lap times with less drama after like the second session... goddamn this bike is cool. Stable as gently caress under braking and mid corner and it puts down power leaving well. It's not constantly trying to kill me which is awesome.

Was playing cat and mouse with a BMW S1000R for a full session (not RR) and watched him lay darkies leaving every single corner under power. :lol:

xaarman
Mar 12, 2003

So... worth the $60 dust seals?

BlackMK4
Aug 23, 2006

wat.
Megamarm

xaarman posted:

So... worth the $60 dust seals?

I put $15 NOK K&L fork seals for a F4i in it. :v:

T-Square
May 14, 2009

Guys, this thread is dead, what the hell. Took 3rd in Amateur Lightweight Grand Prix, and a (hard fought) 2nd in Amateur Lightweight Superbike at the 31st Annual Race of Champions at Daytona International this weekend.

Little upset about the 3rd, got pushed into the grass on the outside of the high-speed dog-leg/kink on the infield. I know I had a shot for a win that race, as the higher-powered Ducati had a mechanical DNF. Was a huge oh poo poo moment though.

Superbike, on the other hand, was awesome. Less than a second between myself, 3rd, and 4th position at the finish. The battle for second was throughout the last 3 or 4 laps between myself and two other guys. All three of us had swapped positions in the draft several times each lap. For anyone familiar with the layout of the track, I went from 2nd down to 4th in the tri-oval across start/finish going into turn one on the last lap. I made ground on 3rd position braking late into the first horseshoe, the dog-leg/kink, and braking late into the second horseshoe, as well as the tight right before going into the west banking. Going up into the NASCAR turn 2 banking, and onto the back-straight, I got into 3rd positions draft and passed him just before the braking zone.

Here's where some strategy comes into play. I had to brake late enough to keep my pass on 3rd place secured, but I didn't want to get past second position, just yet. I merely closed the cap in preparation for the last corner and the final time around the tri-oval, as well as making sure I didn't ruin a good drive through, and out of, the chicane. I was probably about 5-8 bike lengths behind 2nd position coming up and through the NASCAR turn 4 banking, and I was screaming at myself in my helmet that I wasn't getting in the draft, didn't get close enough, because I wasn't pulling on him at all. Then as we swooped down off of the banking into the tri-oval for the last time, I started reeling him in. Tucked in as far as I could be, cranking the hell out of the throttle, yelling something along the lines of "gently caress gently caress COME ON FUUUCCKKK," I slowly pulled up alongside him on the inside, I might as well have been leaning against his bike. I got him by less than 3/10ths.

Have a picture from practice.

xaarman
Mar 12, 2003

That's awesome, nice job! I entered my first (completely amateur) race, and everyone faster than me was ahead of me, and everyone slower than me I passed. Was a lot more benign then I was expecting, nothing as exciting as that :(

T-Square
May 14, 2009

xaarman posted:

That's awesome, nice job! I entered my first (completely amateur) race, and everyone faster than me was ahead of me, and everyone slower than me I passed. Was a lot more benign then I was expecting, nothing as exciting as that :(

That's how it was for most of my 7ish years of racing. Daytona's also a different story, because most of the racing comes down to getting and staying in the draft, making everything a lot closer. Just this year was really the first year I've found someone right at my skill level that was able to push me, and race close with. It makes things so much more fun. Just try to work your way up to the faster guys and you'll be playing with them in no time.

xaarman
Mar 12, 2003

So sad to be done for the season... this is a repost (BlackMK4 posted it I think?) but I absolutely love the video:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NZrK7OKu2pM

xaarman
Mar 12, 2003

Selling the SV, have a buyer for next weekend if he does not back out. Time for a new track bike!

Can't decide between a 2013+ 636 or a run of the gamut 600 from the CMRA/WERA classifieds. It's a pretty hefty premium for a 636 engine and TC, compared to a mid to late 2000s 600/750 with all the suspension work and other mods already done to it.

BlackMK4
Aug 23, 2006

wat.
Megamarm
Second trackday for the Duc coming up this Sunday. :)
I really want to make it down to Inde, over to Chuckwalla, or out to Arroyo Seco this winter - the local scene is very, very small and we don't get a suspension guy or anything you Cali guys do.

BlackMK4 fucked around with this message at 16:28 on Nov 6, 2014

xaarman
Mar 12, 2003

Nice Duck, worst headlights.

BlackMK4
Aug 23, 2006

wat.
Megamarm

xaarman posted:

These things are super polarizing. I kinda like them over the xx8 bikes but I'm not firmly on one side or the other.

FlerpNerpin
Apr 17, 2006

xaarman posted:

The most wrong person ever: see it here first folks!

KodiakRS
Jul 11, 2012

:stonk:

Spiffness posted:

The most wrong person ever: see it here first folks!

Thank god. I always thought I had to hide the fact that I liked the 999, like I was going to have my M endorsement removed if I did more than casually glance at the one.

Z3n
Jul 21, 2007

999 is true original Ducati design. And also the best.

Rev. Dr. Moses P. Lester
Oct 3, 2000
Ridiculous, 916 is the best Ducati.

Angryboot
Oct 23, 2005

Grimey Drawer

Rev. Dr. Moses P. Lester posted:

Yup.

Z3n
Jul 21, 2007

Rev. Dr. Moses P. Lester posted:

Man yeah it really is the best imitation of a Japanese design.

BlackMK4
Aug 23, 2006

wat.
Megamarm
Update on said trackday and Ducati can be found in the crash thread. :v:

xaarman
Mar 12, 2003

Glad you're ok and your gear worked as advertised.

Best thing I ever did was get gloves with sliders in the palm.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

BlackMK4
Aug 23, 2006

wat.
Megamarm

xaarman posted:

Glad you're ok and your gear worked as advertised.

Best thing I ever did was get gloves with sliders in the palm.

I think that is on my list now. These gloves are short cuff and have seen two >60mph crashes so it's time.

• Locked thread