Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
PleasingFungus
Oct 10, 2012
idiot asshole bitch who should fuck off

cheetah7071 posted:

FR: a visual indicator of brands on weapons. Like a little red circle on the weapon if its fire or something

It's been suggested (I know one of the our beloved tiles devs was talking about it a while back), but it'd be quite a lot of work, and very tricky to make it noticeable. Difficult UI problem!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Floodkiller
May 31, 2011

Angry Lobster posted:

Someone knows any good LP for beginners? This game is kicking my rear end like crazy.

There are some links in the OP of the Roguelike Megathread, which range from semi-recent to pretty old. They are good if you are just looking for generic advice on what to do. Don't look too deep for specifics, though, since Crawl has had at least a full version or more since many of those LPs, so some advice won't apply well (the one I contributed was during the development of 0.15 and still had item destruction, for reference)

That, and some of the advice you could glean from them is terrible advice:

Not Floodkiller posted:

Against popular opinion and common sense, I've had luck on Formicid Fighters with dumping my early experience into Shields rather than the weapon skills

SlyFrog
May 16, 2007

What? One name? Who are you, Seal?

Internet Kraken posted:

Same reason the first enemy you encounter can be a goblin that stabs you with an electric dagger for an OHKO; RNG.

Be wary of anything with a dangerous brand, especially early on, and remember you can see if an enemy has a branded weapon.

VVV I agree that its tedious, but if enemies show up as individuals the game will announce what brand they are carrying in a message without you having to examine them. Also even a lovely kobold can indirectly kill a level 10 character with one swing of a distortion dagger. You really have to play careful to get past the first few levels, especially as a squishy character. Or if you don't care about win rates/streaking you can play quickly and just accept that these kind of deaths will happen.

It really is funny. I typically do not have a lot of problem surviving the really early game. My deaths all occur after I've discovered Lair, Orcish Mines, etc., and then get tired of retreating from poo poo.

My most recent death is a perfect example - a Level 11 Vampire Unamed Combat Monk (Makhleb). I went down a stairs, and was immediately next to a sleeping 4 headed Hydra. I obviously should have peaced the gently caress out and went back up the stairs. Or consumed at least some potions to buff up.

Instead, I figured, "I'll just whap this fucker a bunch of times." What a surprise, I died.

(Also, I am a big time potion hoarder. For some reason, I cannot use potions of might, agility, etc. I'm always saving them for that "bigger" fight that I'm sure is coming down the road where I'll need them. And dying in the meantime.)

chin up everything sucks
Jan 29, 2012

SlyFrog posted:

(Also, I am a big time potion hoarder. For some reason, I cannot use potions of might, agility, etc. I'm always saving them for that "bigger" fight that I'm sure is coming down the road where I'll need them. And dying in the meantime.)

I save potions of might for fighting player ghosts or particularly tough uniques. I don't think I use potions of agility at all, except when quaff-IDing.

someone awful.
Sep 7, 2007

Crawl gets a lot easier once you internalize "better to use it and not need it than need it and not use it"

Also re: enemies with dangerous brands, they do get announced when you first spot them these days and if you decide to fight them anyway that's on you. Running is always an option :shrug:

Also the main way I've gotten better at crawl is by spectating people and asking questions, for the most part this community is pretty chill. I'm always happy to have newbies watch/go spectate people :shobon:

Fhqwhgads
Jul 18, 2003

I AM THE ONLY ONE IN THIS GAME WHO GETS LAID
I play better with an audience because if someone is watching I'm a lot less likely to just otab until I find something interesting.

Angry Diplomat
Nov 7, 2009

Winner of the TSR Memorial Award for Excellence In Grogging
I pretty much always quaff agility if I'm buffing up to fight a scary unique, because it generally grants a non-zero amount of EV and thus a non-zero chance of negating at least one potentially very nasty attack.

Angry Lobster
May 16, 2011

Served with honor
and some clarified butter.
Thanks for the advice, will watch some of the old lp's and try to get online and spectate people.

Also, just finished my last run, I got to the orcish mines (first time!) with a minotaur berzerker, was doing great, killing everything with little effort, antimagical great axe, +4 plate mail and nearly full piety, suddenly, I met an rear end in a top hat called Rupert, who confused me and kicked my rear end. drat my overconfidence :negative:

mdct
Sep 2, 2011

Tingle tingle kooloo limpah.
These are my magic words.

Don't steal them.
The stable release of 0.17 (i.e. not trunk) doesn't have the Amulet changes in it right so I know to avoid playing Trunk

stay depressed
Sep 30, 2003

by zen death robot
there's no reason to avoid trunk unless you're really really salty about rmut being gone. there have been a lot of interesting changes other than Lets Get Mad About Amulets in trunk

mdct
Sep 2, 2011

Tingle tingle kooloo limpah.
These are my magic words.

Don't steal them.
I'm going to stay salty about rMut being gone until how mutations work changes too, yes.

someone awful.
Sep 7, 2007

Mighty Dicktron posted:

The stable release of 0.17 (i.e. not trunk) doesn't have the Amulet changes in it right so I know to avoid playing Trunk

yeah, .17 is the one used in the recent tournament and it doesn't have pakellas/2 floor orc/amulet changes etc

apple
May 18, 2003

Jose in the club wearing orange suspenders

stay depressed posted:

there's no reason to avoid trunk unless you're really really salty about rmut being gone. there have been a lot of interesting changes other than Lets Get Mad About Amulets in trunk

You can just play the version you prefer without being mad at trunk, I don't see why it *has* to be extreme like that. I do legitimately feel that removing rMut without fixing malmutate seems like a backwards change, and I have more fun in a crawl with current malmutate and rMut around.

E: Removing clarity without changing confusion first also seems backwards to me, but I would play a version with this change regardless

apple fucked around with this message at 18:47 on Dec 16, 2015

Angry Diplomat
Nov 7, 2009

Winner of the TSR Memorial Award for Excellence In Grogging

Angry Lobster posted:

suddenly, I met an rear end in a top hat called Rupert, who confused me and kicked my rear end. drat my overconfidence :negative:

Rupert is extremely hardcore if you don't have really good MR. He hits hard, can berserk, and uses angry screaming-based magic to confuse or paralyze you, which can be an outright death sentence if he's right up next to you and goes berserk.

Don't fight Rupert unless you know for drat sure that you can kill him handily. He's a great candidate for curare needles and/or powerful wands, if you have any.

tweet my meat
Oct 2, 2013

yospos
How on earth do I play the tiles version windowed? The only answer I've found says to edit the init.txt, but there aren't really any options to change in the init.txt that have to do with full screen. This really doesn't seem like a feature that needs to be buried this deep.

Itaipava
Jun 24, 2007
Just put these wherever. Adjust height and width to your desired dimensions:

code:
tile_full_screen = false
tile_window_width=1024
tile_window_height=768
I think the default should be windowed, since crawl is such an easy game to pick up and interrupt whenever to do something else.

Speleothing
May 6, 2008

Spare batteries are pretty key.

stay depressed posted:

Someone Awful! posted:

yeah, .17 is the one used in the recent tournament and it doesn't have pakellas/2 floor orc/amulet changes etc

Pakellas is a good change. Everything else I don't like.

Dr. Despair
Nov 4, 2009

39 perfect posts with each roll.

FireSight posted:

I save potions of might for fighting player ghosts or particularly tough uniques. I don't think I use potions of agility at all, except when quaff-IDing.

Agility is great, you should use it!

Floodkiller
May 31, 2011

I would say FR: Salt god that lets you ignore irresistible confusion and malmutate, but they already exist :v:

McGavin
Sep 18, 2012

Sergeant_Crunch posted:

Is there a button to rest until healed? The ? menu lists it as numpad 5 but that just waits a single turn for me.

I know this is late, but just push 5 (i.e. not the one on the numpad).

stay depressed
Sep 30, 2003

by zen death robot

Speleothing posted:

Pakellas is a good change. Everything else I don't like.

2 floor orc is Really Good™ imo

SirSamVimes
Jul 21, 2008

~* Challenge *~

Floodkiller posted:

I would say FR: Salt god that lets you ignore irresistible confusion and malmutate, but they already exist :v:

He's even an actual salt god. I should play another Zin game and turn the entirety of pan/hell into salt.

heard u like girls
Mar 25, 2013

I always feel like doing Spider with Zin is a complete clusterfuck. Like, he used to give sustenance and rPois but even with that it would be super annoying having to use that ability so much and tanking piety. Plus it was just to stay alive. I don't think you can recite at spiders... can you?

Like Zin is great early on but when you get Swamp and especially Spider, it's borderline useless. Am i missing something maybe?

someone awful.
Sep 7, 2007

stay depressed posted:

2 floor orc is Really Good™ imo

fewer chances for non orc-4 shops, no naturally spawning generic Orcs. as a person who often does orc before lair, ugh. :(

Humans Among Us posted:

I always feel like doing Spider with Zin is a complete clusterfuck. Like, he used to give sustenance and rPois but even with that it would be super annoying having to use that ability so much and tanking piety. Plus it was just to stay alive. I don't think you can recite at spiders... can you?

Like Zin is great early on but when you get Swamp and especially Spider, it's borderline useless. Am i missing something maybe?

yeah, in spider and to a lesser extent Swamp he's kind of a pain in the butt due to the lack of intelligent creatures you can recite at. Is why I always end up swapping to Zin for end/postgame rather than running him from the start

Dr. Despair
Nov 4, 2009

39 perfect posts with each roll.

Humans Among Us posted:

Could always swap to tso or ely for those sections if you wanted a (slightly) easier time. Might not help a ton, but it is an option.

heard u like girls
Mar 25, 2013

Guess i could try running Xom for muts, lock them in with Zin, do orc and d10-15 with Zin and then go TSO for the remaining Lair and Branches or something... (lol)

Mr. Vile
Nov 25, 2009

And, where there is treasure, there will be Air Pirates.

Fhqwhgads posted:

I play better with an audience because if someone is watching I'm a lot less likely to just otab until I find something interesting.

I'm the reverse personally. I try to avoid boring spectators and rush through the game until I find something interesting, which almost invariably gets me killed.

Dirk the Average
Feb 7, 2012

"This may have been a mistake."

PleasingFungus posted:

It's been suggested (I know one of the our beloved tiles devs was talking about it a while back), but it'd be quite a lot of work, and very tricky to make it noticeable. Difficult UI problem!

Would it be possible to put a colored outline around the tile of significant normal enemies? Any enemy that's way out of depth (pings as deadly when inspected) or that is carrying a branded weapon could stand to be highlighted. Would be nice to have as a toggle, especially when wandering into a new area and trying to assess threats.

Fhqwhgads
Jul 18, 2003

I AM THE ONLY ONE IN THIS GAME WHO GETS LAID

Dirk the Average posted:

Would it be possible to put a colored outline around the tile of significant normal enemies? Any enemy that's way out of depth (pings as deadly when inspected) or that is carrying a branded weapon could stand to be highlighted. Would be nice to have as a toggle, especially when wandering into a new area and trying to assess threats.

OOD enemies are already colored (grey, white, yellow, red) in the visible enemies part of the screen on webtiles/offline tiles. And Enchanted weapons are already visible on enemies by showing a different weapon picture (at least in the early game when it's that much more important to not get caught up against elec/distort/chaos). I think we're getting a bit overkill on the visual indicators here. x - v answers all those questions for you.

Can Of Worms
Sep 4, 2011

That's not how the Triangle Attack works...
Another protip: Ctrl+X brings up everything visible (with basic description) in a menu, and you can even use it to locate where each visible thing is on the screen!

Can Of Worms fucked around with this message at 21:53 on Dec 16, 2015

Internet Kraken
Apr 24, 2010

slightly amused

PleasingFungus posted:

Maybe you could just highlight the tile of the monster to be surrounded by a glow if they have a branded weapon equipped? Like a goblin wielding a dagger glows blue for electricity, purple for distortion, green for poison, and so on. Would make picking them out of a crowd a lot easier without being a huge visual change.

heard u like girls
Mar 25, 2013

I like the idea that you have to be stabbed in order to know what you've been stabbed with.

i.e. the system we have now

someone awful.
Sep 7, 2007

Humans Among Us posted:

I like the idea that you have to be stabbed in order to know what you've been stabbed with.

i.e. the system we have now

it hasn't been that way since like .15 or something though; it always clearly says "is holding a <x> of <brand>" when they first come into view or when you x-look at them

heard u like girls
Mar 25, 2013

No i'm actually fairly sure it says 'A goblin wielding an enchanted dagger' and the change was that it says it is enchanted instead of just 'wielding a dagger'

E: otherwise lol @ me

someone awful.
Sep 7, 2007

Humans Among Us posted:

No i'm actually fairly sure it says 'A goblin wielding an enchanted dagger' and the change was that it says it is enchanted instead of just 'wielding a dagger'

E: otherwise lol @ me

if it says "enchanted" it means that it has either a + or a - but not a brand

heard u like girls
Mar 25, 2013

Hehe, i'm in lair atm and nobody is wielding daggers, now im curious tho

E: Oh hey btw guess what, Hat of the Alchemist still has rMut on it :laugh:

heard u like girls fucked around with this message at 22:42 on Dec 16, 2015

someone awful.
Sep 7, 2007

Internet Kraken
Apr 24, 2010

slightly amused
It always told you if a weapon was enchanted. It just didn't say if it was a +/- enchantment or an actual brand. There was a small group of players that argued distortion was fine because you could examine each individual enemy to see if they had a glowing weapon, and if they did you must always assume it was distortion and play accordingly. Because that was a fun thing people totally did for the entire game, right???

stay depressed
Sep 30, 2003

by zen death robot
Blork the orc comes into view. He is wielding a dire flail of crushing.

it tells you the brand

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

heard u like girls
Mar 25, 2013

Ok apologies, perhaps it's time to get my eyes checked or something :tipshat:

• Locked thread