Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

HugeGrossBurrito
Mar 20, 2018
lol yeah I had to pick up my leopard stickers because signature

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

twoday
May 4, 2005

C-SPAM Times best-selling author
it's friday the thirteenth and a full moon!

awooooo

shovelbum
Oct 21, 2010

Fun Shoe

twoday posted:

I have no idea why they are made in Latvia, did it have a cool stamp at least?

No it was in a nice nondescript professional cardboard envelope, unusual only in that it was coming from Riga.

twoday
May 4, 2005

where are you people sticking these things, anyway?

Mayor Dave
Feb 20, 2009

Bernie the Snow Clown

twoday posted:

where are you people sticking these things, anyway?

I stuck my tremp on my posting rig, which is actually on my desk so he's starimg me in the eye while I post

I now have that face in three different rooms lmao

twoday
May 4, 2005

that's horrifying

cool

fabergay egg
Mar 1, 2012

it's not a rhetorical question, for politely saying 'you are an idiot, you don't know what you are talking about'

twoday posted:

is that a beach towel or did you buy a tote bag and a doll-sized shirt?

Yeah, spending hours carving that block and then using it was like witchcraft. Taking inanimate objects and transforming them into countless trimps and tremos, dozens of those prints which gradually started filling up every bit of space around my desk was a hell of a thing. Imagine having 50 of those fuckers surrounding you, still moist

its a beach towel. i may also get to print trumo in a tremendous orange color the next time all the scientists go home early, which is a frequent occurrance

from the oldest printing technology to the newest, there is only TURNP

Nebakenezzer
Sep 13, 2005

The Mote in God's Eye

Buck Wildman posted:

YOU MAY NOT BE ABLE TO SEE THE SLUMP BUT I ASSURE YOU IF YOU LOOK AT THESE NUMBERS

e: loving lol at the differentiation between posture for working and posture "for executives"

If you do professional stuff in this area you probably have a subscription, which updates things like the increasing size and weight of the US population

twoday
May 4, 2005

fabergay egg posted:

its a beach towel. i may also get to print trumo in a tremendous orange color the next time all the scientists go home early, which is a frequent occurrance

from the oldest printing technology to the newest, there is only TURNP

Can you tell me more about this printer and what you're printing it on, I'm a bit confused

snoo
Jul 5, 2007

twoday posted:

it's friday the thirteenth and a full moon!

awooooo

fabergay egg
Mar 1, 2012

it's not a rhetorical question, for politely saying 'you are an idiot, you don't know what you are talking about'

twoday posted:

Can you tell me more about this printer and what you're printing it on, I'm a bit confused

http://www.microfab.com/complete-systems/jetlab-larger-area

the lab i work at develops paint that can be printed, for putting on cars and also anything else that needs coating. but mostly we do this on metal panels that have been electrophoretically coated. this particular printer ejects individual droplets out of a nozzle, 100 microns wide, onto whatever you place beneath it. other people use this technology for much more interesting things, like dispensing cells or drugs, but they cant put trmppi;s face on things

although i suppose in theory you could prepare a substrate such that you could grow a bacterial culture in the shape of torou;. it wouldnt even be hard.

twoday
May 4, 2005

drat

that's cool

what did you print it onto? a panel? why does it have a hole? how big is it?

can you do it again with a different image?

fabergay egg
Mar 1, 2012

it's a 4x6 inch aluminum panel that was e-coated and then sprayed with a white monocoat. im unclear on why all the panels have holes but i imagine it is for some reason. we also have steel panels and glass plates that would fit on the stage, but i could put other things there if i adjusted the z axis height (very easy)

i can specify arbitrary patterns through various lines and arcs but the easiest way to do it is to just feed it a 1 bit .bmp file and tell it to get to work

e: i could make a larger version if i scanned in the dorbald trink print you sent me instead of using a cropped, hastily edited photo from this thread. i think the stage is at least 2 feet wide in total

fabergay egg has issued a correction as of 15:23 on Sep 14, 2019

twoday
May 4, 2005

If it can print in microns, does that mean that you could print, for instance, an entire book on something the size of a grain of rice?

Nebakenezzer
Sep 13, 2005

The Mote in God's Eye

twoday posted:

If it can print in microns, does that mean that you could print, for instance, an entire book on something the size of a grain of rice?

the tweets of trump on the contents of a can of mixed nuts

Peanut President
Nov 5, 2008

by Athanatos
all of trump's tweets but you organize them in a way that it makes an ascii-style version of that picture of him playing tennis

fabergay egg
Mar 1, 2012

twoday posted:

the smallest nozzle we have is 30 microns which would create a droplet of like 25-40 microns, but if they gave me more time to play around with alternate waveforms i could theoretically drop that down to 15-20* microns using the purdue waveforms they talk about there. unfortunately at very small nozzle diameters the maximum viscosity your printing fluid can have becomes even lower than normal*, so while they will make custom nozzles if you want them to, getting much smaller than 30 microns is going to limit what you can jet further than the already very limited space with normal nozzles.

home inkjet printers have nozzles on the order of 10 microns, and if the purdue waveform works at that size you could potentially get drops as small as 5 microns. a grain of rice is what, 2000 microns wide? you could probably get a childrens book on a grain of rice like that. maybe more, im not doing the math

*you can, if you want, play around with the physical characteristics of fluids on this nerds website if things like "ohnesorge number" mean anything to you.

twoday
May 4, 2005

Can you make a trump so small that it could only be seen with a magnifying glass or a microscope? What would be the tiniest version of that image you could make without it blurring?

fabergay egg
Mar 1, 2012

the droplet size determines the pixel size, so assuming i could get everything to work with the 30 micron nozzle, then that makes an image with a 30 micron pixel size. the version i used was like 800x600 pixels or something like that, i dont remember. i think 200x200 pixels could fit it though, but im not sure how detailed that would end up being. if i could make one of the purdue waveforms work, assuming i couldnt get below 20 microns per dot, then you're looking at 2mm per hundred pixels.

so while i could not print a book on a grain of rice, i could, with a reasonable amount of work, print a low res version of trump's face on one

Mayor Dave
Feb 20, 2009

Bernie the Snow Clown
How many trumls can dance on the head of a pin

Flavius Aetass
Mar 30, 2011

Mayor Dave posted:

How many trumls can dance on the head of a pin

as many as barron allows

twoday
May 4, 2005

tacodaemon posted:

hey twoday you ought to include a drawing of corn pop from his death notice photo in one of your manuscript illuminations

Nebakenezzer
Sep 13, 2005

The Mote in God's Eye

Okay, stop me if you've heard this before: Bliss Symbols

Named after their creator, Karl Kasiel Blitz who later changed his name to Charles K. Bliss

Flavius Aetass
Mar 30, 2011
Congratulations on inventing Chinese

Nebakenezzer
Sep 13, 2005

The Mote in God's Eye

Flavius Aetass posted:

Congratulations on inventing Chinese

Bliss had a hard life:

quote:

In March 1938, the Third Reich annexed Austria via the Anschluss, and Bliss, as a Jew, was sent to Dachau concentration camp. Later. he was moved to Buchenwald concentration camp. His wife, Claire, a German Catholic, made constant efforts to have him released. He was released in 1939 but was required to leave the country for England immediately. In England, Bliss tried to bring his wife to him, but the outbreak of World War II in September 1939 made that impossible. It was there that, because the Nazi bombing of England was called the "blitz," he changed his surname to Bliss.

Bliss arranged for Claire to escape Germany via his family in Cernăuți, Romania (now called Chernivtsi and in the Ukraine). Needing to leave there, Claire moved on to Greece and safety, until October 1940 when Italy invaded Greece. The couple were reunited on Christmas Eve 1940, after Claire continued east to Shanghai and Charles went west to Shanghai via Canada and Japan.

After the Japanese occupied Shanghai, Bliss and his wife were placed into the Hongkew ghetto. Claire, as a German and a Christian had the option of claiming her German citizenship, applying for a divorce and being released. She did not do so but accompanied Bliss into the ghetto.

In Shanghai, Bliss became interested in Chinese characters, which he mistakenly thought were ideograms. He studied them and learned how to read shop signs and Chinese newspapers. With some astonishment, he one day realised that he had been reading the symbols off not in Chinese, but in his own language, German. With ideograms for his inspiration, Bliss set out to develop a system of writing by pictures. At that time Bliss had not become aware of Gottfried Wilhelm Leibniz's "Universal Symbolism".

Duscat
Jan 4, 2009
Fun Shoe
i received a pillow for idiots and gave it to a pillow enthusiast for a test drive

it seems to work (as a pillow, not as a guillotine)

twoday
May 4, 2005

Awww :3:

Buck Wildman
Mar 30, 2010

I am Metango, Galactic Governor

the outrageous injustice perpetuated against hero of the revolution Crazy Cloud has provoked me to purchase a shirt in solidarity

twoday
May 4, 2005

I think I am finally going to buy one of my own shirts and see what the hype is about, and the free crazy cloud one is pretty high on the list of ones I'm considering

twoday
May 4, 2005

Spergin Morlock
Aug 8, 2009

Epic High Five
Jun 5, 2004

Gunshow Poophole
Sep 14, 2008

OMBUDSMAN
POSTERS LOCAL 42069

Clapping Larry

do it

cowards

mods

HugeGrossBurrito
Mar 20, 2018
never ask upon the mods they will fail you redemption comes from within

Gunshow Poophole
Sep 14, 2008

OMBUDSMAN
POSTERS LOCAL 42069

Clapping Larry

HugeGrossBurrito posted:

never ask upon the mods they will fail you redemption comes from within

I'm... crazy cloud?

:aaaaa:

got any sevens
Feb 9, 2013

by Cyrano4747

the candle that burns brightest...

HugeGrossBurrito
Mar 20, 2018

Gunshow Poophole posted:

I'm... crazy cloud?

if you will it

2DCAT
Jun 25, 2015

pissssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssss ssssssss sssssssssssssssssss sssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssss ssssss ssssssssssssssssssssssssssss sssssssssssssss

Gravy Boat 2k

:eyepop:

Buck Wildman
Mar 30, 2010

I am Metango, Galactic Governor

Gunshow Poophole posted:

I'm... crazy cloud?

*laughs sparticusishly*

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Nebakenezzer
Sep 13, 2005

The Mote in God's Eye

All his posts now vanish

like tears in rain.

twoday I learned from the pontifacts podcast that Dante's Divine Comedy is where we get all our visual ideas about heaven and hell

My mind is blown, that Doom 2016 can trace its influences back to Dante