Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

drrockso20
May 6, 2013

Has Not Actually Done Cocaine

Spiritus Nox posted:

Incidentally, I recently played a Super Robot Wars game that replaced that dude with Jerid of all people

It's more they had Jerid pilot it so they could be lazy and not have to make a model for the original Byarlant as well

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Darth Walrus
Feb 13, 2012

Arcsquad12 posted:

She blasted a giant beam trench all the way to the Parliament building.

I guess that’s where you get into the thorny question of whether a political district is a viable military target. Certainly, going after that residential area in Torrington was presented as a shocking departure.

Spiritus Nox
Sep 2, 2011

Darth Walrus posted:

I guess that’s where you get into the thorny question of whether a political district is a viable military target. Certainly, going after that residential area in Torrington was presented as a shocking departure.

I mean, even puppet senators/cabinet officials/heads-of-state are usually non-combatants...

Darth Walrus
Feb 13, 2012

Spiritus Nox posted:

I mean, even puppet senators/cabinet officials/heads-of-state are usually non-combatants...

It’s kind of complicated because they’re running the war against you, though. I mean, it’s not like decapitation strikes are unusual in the Federation-Zeon war - trying to blow up the Dakar parliament could be considered pretty reasonable recompense for the Nahel Argama’s raid on Axis in the first Neo Zeon War, for instance.

Caros
May 14, 2008

Darth Walrus posted:

It’s kind of complicated because they’re running the war against you, though. I mean, it’s not like decapitation strikes are unusual in the Federation-Zeon war - trying to blow up the Dakar parliament could be considered pretty reasonable recompense for the Nahel Argama’s raid on Axis in the first Neo Zeon War, for instance.

The whole thing gets into a question of asymmetrical warfare in general and perspective. No one is going to bat an eyelash if some French partisans got into Germany and somehow blew up the Reichstag during the war. But if some German vets had launched a full scale attack on Paris or London a decade after the war, people would be pissed as all hell. The thing that makes it 'worse' is probably the futility. Even a decapitation of the Federation leadership isn't really going to have a practical and beneficial change for Zeon at that point, so its violence as sour grapes, rather than for the purpose of winning a war.

MonsieurChoc
Oct 12, 2013

Every species can smell its own extinction.
Unlike Mufti Nabiyu Erin, who was a freedom fighter fighting to change the world.

chiasaur11
Oct 22, 2012

Arcsquad12 posted:

He's a Titan scumlord trying to hide his past.

He's a former Titan scumlord trying to move past his past.

Considering how some of the Titans went forward with their lives, that actually looks good.

Plastic_Gargoyle
Aug 3, 2007

chiasaur11 posted:

Considering how some of the Titans went forward with their lives, that actually looks good.

By joining Neo Zeon, according to the most recent Advance of Zeta story.

How that makes any sense is beyond me, but then most of Advance of Zeta is weird unexplainable nonsense.

jackhunter64
Aug 28, 2008

Keep it up son, take a look at what you could have won

Plastic_Gargoyle posted:

How that makes any sense is beyond me, but then most of Advance of Zeta is weird unexplainable nonsense.

Fascists gotta fash somewhere, I guess.

Darth Walrus
Feb 13, 2012

Caros posted:

The whole thing gets into a question of asymmetrical warfare in general and perspective. No one is going to bat an eyelash if some French partisans got into Germany and somehow blew up the Reichstag during the war. But if some German vets had launched a full scale attack on Paris or London a decade after the war, people would be pissed as all hell. The thing that makes it 'worse' is probably the futility. Even a decapitation of the Federation leadership isn't really going to have a practical and beneficial change for Zeon at that point, so its violence as sour grapes, rather than for the purpose of winning a war.

I mean, there was an ongoing Neo Zeon War, if a smaller and less spectacular one, and exploding the Dakar parliament probably would have given Frontal a lot more leverage over the scattered, chaotic fragments of the Federation government in order to secure their eventual political and economic doom. It was a long shot, but not futile.

This is the UC, after all. Cessations of hostilities only last long enough to give everyone the chance to rearm.

RillAkBea
Oct 11, 2008

Plastic_Gargoyle posted:

I think a lot of the Titans grunts didn't even buy into the ideology, Zeta kinda showed how their recruitment tactics attracted meatheads who just wanted to fight and act like a big man for a living. Even in AoZ itself, the first few chapters has new Titan members getting into fights for no reason.

I can definitely imagine Neo Zeon recruiting exactly the same kind of jerks to pad out the ranks.

Guy Goodbody
Aug 31, 2016

by Nyc_Tattoo

Kanos
Sep 6, 2006

was there a time when speedwagon didn't get trolled

Monaghan posted:

Loni from the anime loving sucks. She just kills a bunch of people for no goddamn reason, other than the fact she's mad at the federation. Yet at the same time the show goes on with Banagher yelling about how she's a good person. Sorry show, actions not words matter and if you don't have a single moment of on screen kindness from the character you can't tell me she's a good person. At least in the novels, Loni feels like a victim of her father's hatred, which is a kind of mirror to banagher and at least makes her somewhat sympathetic.

That's the key, though. The one yelling about Loni being a good person is Banagher, the head-in-the-clouds newtype whose defining character trait is an ineffable belief in the potential goodness of humanity. That's why Riddhe is the other major character in that scene, because he's supposed to be the practical, down to earth perspective on the situation. Banagher, with his newtype brain powers, can feel the person Loni could have been if she wasn't twisted by hatred and anger due to marinating in the cesspit of a Zeon insurgent cell for her entire life; that's the person he wants to save. Riddhe, on the other hand, is focused on the here and now, i.e. her shooting her way through a city in a mobile armor that needs to be stopped. Riddhe even agrees to try it Banagher's way and it seems to be working until Kirks - the only person who ever showed Loni any form of human kindness - is killed, at which point she goes apeshit and Riddhe decides that he needs to act now.

tsob
Sep 26, 2006

Chalalala~

Plastic_Gargoyle posted:

Some of the Titans remnants end up joining Neon Zeon in ZZ, and like RillAkBea mentioned, many of the Titans were kind of shitheads anyway so it's not really surprising. Especially when Jamitov tries to ally with Haman twice in Zeta if I recall. Jerid outright says in Zeta that the Titans are all about power too, so they were mostly attracting and promoting people who fit that ideology and when they lost power those folks needed some place to chase it.

DKD
Dec 25, 2011
Whenever topics like this come up, I think about that Tomino quote where he talks about the people who were inspired by Gundam to go into robotics or space research or whatever, and then complains that they missed the point of Gundam, which was the Newtype stuff.

I think that Gundam makes more sense if you open your mind to a touchy-feely religious-esque sensibility, a Sunday school everyone-can-be-a-good-person sort of warm, fuzzy spirituality-- think Hippy Jesus, not Republican Jesus. I'd be shocked if there were any sort of direct Christian religious influence on the themes of the series, but there are parallels to some of the warm fuzzy aspects: evil is real, but so is redemption, and to save a soul is itself a goal worth striving for (rather than, for example, as a means to cut short an attack or flip an asset), that one should have faith that things will work out despite all evidence to the contrary, and that actions can be inherently evil despite their utilitarian outcomes (realpolitik, cynically sacrificing some for the good of everyone else, accepting the lesser of two evils).

Somewhere upthread, someone said that the optimism of the end of Unicorn was dumb, and without a step-by-step portrayal of the measures taken to ensure a better fututre, any hopes expressed by the characters were entirely unjustified. On one hand, they're not exactly wrong, but at the same time the show's faith in "the god of Possibility" is very much like the faith that the religious are encouraged to have-- and this god has actual miracles in the form of Newtype magic, so in the context of the show it's hard to say that Audrey and Banagher's faith is empty.

What I'm trying to get at is that it kind of feels like this whole thing was started by a guy who's one step away from carrying around a sign saying "THE END IS NIGH"

Diogenes of Sinope
Jul 10, 2008

Kanos posted:

That's the key, though. The one yelling about Loni being a good person is Banagher, the head-in-the-clouds newtype whose defining character trait is an ineffable belief in the potential goodness of humanity. That's why Riddhe is the other major character in that scene, because he's supposed to be the practical, down to earth perspective on the situation. Banagher, with his newtype brain powers, can feel the person Loni could have been if she wasn't twisted by hatred and anger due to marinating in the cesspit of a Zeon insurgent cell for her entire life; that's the person he wants to save. Riddhe, on the other hand, is focused on the here and now, i.e. her shooting her way through a city in a mobile armor that needs to be stopped. Riddhe even agrees to try it Banagher's way and it seems to be working until Kirks - the only person who ever showed Loni any form of human kindness - is killed, at which point she goes apeshit and Riddhe decides that he needs to act now.

Riddhe Did Nothing Wrong.

The Notorious ZSB
Apr 19, 2004

I SAID WE'RE NOT GONNA BE FUCKING SUCK THIS YEAR!!!

So umm it's live action, or CG, or a radio drama. I don't really get it. Does 00 need to be redone so soon? It's not that old. What am I missing here.

Artum
Feb 13, 2012

DUN da dun dun da DUUUN
Soiled Meat

The Notorious ZSB posted:

So umm it's live action, or CG, or a radio drama. I don't really get it. Does 00 need to be redone so soon? It's not that old. What am I missing here.

Stage play.

Spiritus Nox
Sep 2, 2011

Artum posted:

Stage play.

Weird.

Tae
Oct 24, 2010

Hello? Can you hear me? ...Perhaps if I shout? AAAAAAAAAH!
The stage play was announced like months ago.

EthanSteele
Nov 18, 2007

I can hear you

Diogenes of Sinope posted:

She was killing a whole bunch of people, but they're faceless extras we never see and thus their lives are worth less than the one Banagher interacts with (who is a mass-murderer). There's the Sieg Zeon threshold that once you say it a certain amount of times you're kind of an irredeemable shithead and I'm pretty sure she crosses it by a country mile.

The Notorious ZSB
Apr 19, 2004

Artum posted:

Stage play.

Oh. uhhh. Okay.

Kanos
Sep 6, 2006

Diogenes of Sinope posted:

In that scene? He honestly didn't do anything wrong. Riddhe is actually doing pretty much the best of both worlds there, because he willingly restrains himself to let Banagher try the peaceful method and only forces the situation when it fails and it becomes apparent that Loni is going to go back to killing people.

Airspace
Nov 5, 2010
Okay, nobody panic.

New Gundam Breaker just hit Steam.

Raxivace
Sep 9, 2014

Excuse me, I'll have you know that all of us are too busy waiting for the exciting and thrilling conclusion of Build Divers in a few hours here.

Potsticker
Jan 14, 2006

Airspace posted:

Okay, nobody panic.

Did they secretly replace it with GB3 or should we continue not caring?

BizarroAzrael
Apr 6, 2006

"That must weigh heavily on your soul. Let me purge it for you."
At £40 I am happy to put it on the wishlist and keep not caring until it's dirt cheap.

Kanos
Sep 6, 2006

More like No Gundam Breaker.

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?
They didn't call it Nu Gundam Breaker?

chiasaur11
Oct 22, 2012

Arcsquad12 posted:

They didn't call it Nu Gundam Breaker?

Well, of course not. If it was called that, it couldn't just be for show.

Taintrunner
Apr 10, 2017

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Airspace posted:

Okay, nobody panic.

It's bad, don't do it.

If you're too busy to watch Zeta, BadGunpla put out part 1 of his Zeta summary.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=p0rjK_hGlBw

Guy Goodbody
Aug 31, 2016

by Nyc_Tattoo
When's the new Gundam show start?

Spiritus Nox
Sep 2, 2011

Guy Goodbody posted:

When's the new Gundam show start?

It's a movie, I think. Not sure when it airs.

Guy Goodbody
Aug 31, 2016

by Nyc_Tattoo

Spiritus Nox posted:

It's a movie, I think. Not sure when it airs.

Gundam NT hits Japanese theaters Novermber 30th. Hopefully there will be a limited run in American theaters, but I'm not very hopeful.

I meant the next Gundam TV anime. I'm excited about getting excited for it

The Notorious ZSB
Apr 19, 2004

ZZ Gundam is bad y'all, like painfully boringly bad. I forgot how bad it is for most of its run. How did they make something this bad right after Zeta, it's nearly incomprehensible.

Shinjobi
Jul 10, 2008

Gravy Boat 2k

ZZ Gundam is bad y'all, like painfully boringly bad. I forgot how bad it is for most of its run. How did they make something this bad right after Zeta, it's nearly incomprehensible.

Strong disagree, but that disagreement is really the true spirit of gundam

The Notorious ZSB
Apr 19, 2004

Shinjobi posted:

Strong disagree, but that disagreement is really the true spirit of gundam

Truly it is. Just finished the 2 parter in the forgotten colony and uhh yeah man this show meanders so hard.

The Notorious ZSB fucked around with this message at 02:06 on Sep 26, 2018

Darth Walrus
Feb 13, 2012
Looking at ZZ as a whole, that early ‘meandering’ does feel intentional. It’s Tomino taking a step back partway through the UC saga to let the true horror of life in the 0080s sink in. We’ve been taken along with Kamille, Amuro, and company on a slow descent into hell, and now we’re seeing the cast of a goofy, episodic kids’ TV show get gradually, inexorably drawn into it without any sense of familiarity to numb them. The early episodes set up a status quo that we know will fall apart, because the wreckage of the UC and the monsters who created it are still out there. I don’t think it’s a coincidence that it’s one of the Moon-Moon priestesses who delivers the moral of the whole series, or that Earth is depicted as an alien planet once they get there, with endless deserts scarred by a decade of war, an absent, supine Federation government, and jungle creeping across Europe in a last-ditch attempt by humanity to terraform their own homeworld.

Artum
Feb 13, 2012

DUN da dun dun da DUUUN
Soiled Meat

Truly it is. Just finished the 2 parter in the forgotten colony and uhh yeah man this show meanders so hard.

zz sucks until like episode 20 where theres a loud audible clunk and episodes of zeta gundam start airing.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?
I think that the first batch of ZZ episodes were meant to be a breather following the massive kill em all clusterfuck ending of Zeta. It's not a good way to start a series, true, but in the context of ZZ starting two weeks after Zeta ended it makes more sense.

Still doesn't excuse the meandering from lasting way too long.