Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Burkion
May 10, 2012

by Fluffdaddy

Drifter posted:

No. Nothing. I'm not ragging on it, either. Just seen some pics of the big G that make him look like a nicely detailed Power Rangers monster.

I'm all for Godzilla (not Broderick's though), even though I'm not really a super-fan, and the stories told surrounding him (except for Son of Godzilla vs Baby King Kong, gently caress you baby 'zilla not-the-baby Dinosaurs-looking motherfucker; I don't care that you came out 30 years earlier) are, when done well, pretty darn incredible. I'm totally gonna watch it, as it sounds interesting; I'm just very curious to see how it plays on the big screen; I'm interested in seeing how the suit and environment translates to modern day. It's such a throwback.

Well here's the thing from what I've heard- it's not a guy in a suit at all for Shin.

Every instance of the practical effects were replaced or heavily enhanced by CGI. It's just really realistic looking especially in stills.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Gatts
Jan 2, 2001

Goodnight Moon

Nap Ghost
Seeing a picture of Shin Godzilla, this is the first time it really looks like some kind of painful twisted mutation of a monster. Less heroic looking and more beastly. If this is a creation of a nuclear event it feels more appropriate than something that may have been made from nature.

Synthwave Crusader
Feb 13, 2011

Tim Miller just left Deadpool 2, supposedly over "creative differences."

Shneak
Mar 6, 2015

A sad Professor Plum
sitting on a toilet.

Burkion posted:

Posting some friendly advice

You want to see a movie with actual weird and cool visuals?

Go check out Shin Godzilla instead. I promise, it'll be a more memorable event than Strange.

Is the bizarre movement of the tail considered weird and cool?

Guy Goodbody
Aug 31, 2016

by Nyc_Tattoo

Scyantific posted:

Tim Miller just left Deadpool 2, supposedly over "creative differences."

creative differences with Ryan Reynolds, not the studio.

CelticPredator
Oct 11, 2013
🍀👽🆚🪖🏋

Jimbot posted:

I do find it funny that from those blurbs they've accepted a certain quality from Marvel films and that anything better than the absolute low (mainly made-for-tv movie cinematography and lackluster, forgettable score) is celebrated. If they can get away with doing two of the major aspects of a movie fairly mediocre and get incredibly high marks, I can only imagine that Doctor Strange will get if those parts are done well or merely OK.

That well-oiled machine performing its function pretty well.

It's really cool and nice to go see a movie that's funny and entertaining and full of fun characters. I really hope this helps.

Equeen
Oct 29, 2011

Pole dance~

CelticPredator posted:

It's really cool and nice to go see a movie that's funny and entertaining and full of fun characters. I really hope this helps.

I really would love to think that Dr. Strange will be anything like that, but a) I'm not that impressed from what I've seen in trailers and b) I don't feel comfortable supporting a movie with whitewashing.

I'm not trying to make you feel guilty Celtic, this is just my opinion.

SolidSnakesBandana
Jul 1, 2007

Infinite ammo

Drifter posted:

I'm all for Godzilla (not Broderick's though)

That movie owned. I loved the fakeout ending.

CelticPredator
Oct 11, 2013
🍀👽🆚🪖🏋

Equeen posted:

I really would love to think that Dr. Strange will be anything like that, but a) I'm not that impressed from what I've seen in trailers and b) I don't feel comfortable supporting a movie with whitewashing.

I'm not trying to make you feel guilty Celtic, this is just my opinion.
Tilda Swinton is going to make everyone forget about that.

SolidSnakesBandana
Jul 1, 2007

Infinite ammo
This is probably a really dumb thought, I expect to be mocked, but isn't "X character must be X race" kinda hosed up in itself?

CelticPredator
Oct 11, 2013
🍀👽🆚🪖🏋

Not if it's important to the character that they are that race. Like Black Panther.

Uncle Boogeyman
Jul 22, 2007

You're right, that is a really dumb thought

Equeen
Oct 29, 2011

Pole dance~

CelticPredator posted:

Tilda Swinton is going to make everyone forget about that.

I'm sure she will appreciate the congrats from Asian actors.

Punkin Spunkin
Jan 1, 2010

Guy Goodbody posted:

creative differences with Ryan Reynolds, not the studio.
Dunno if that makes me feel better or worse

Can't wait for

kiimo posted:

Deadpool: The Rise of Taj

Alhazred
Feb 16, 2011

Punkin Spunkin posted:

Dunno if that makes me feel better or worse

Considering that Ryan Reynolds is pretty much the reason why the movie was made and that the studio wanted to make it a generic family movie I wouldn't be too worried.

Tuxedo Catfish
Mar 17, 2007

You've got guts! Come to my village, I'll buy you lunch.

SolidSnakesBandana posted:

This is probably a really dumb thought, I expect to be mocked, but isn't "X character must be X race" kinda hosed up in itself?

In addition to what CelticPredator said, if there's a character who could be any race and you cast a white person every time that kind of gives the lie to "this character could be any race!"

Brainiac Five
Mar 28, 2016

by FactsAreUseless
Tilda Swinton is also seemingly playing the Ancient One as Tibetan in terms of dress and visual design but nevertheless white, which is an, um, suspicious decision.

Punkin Spunkin
Jan 1, 2010

Uncle Boogeyman posted:

You're right, that is a really dumb thought

BravestOfTheLamps
Oct 12, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
Lipstick Apathy

CelticPredator posted:

What does that have to do with the famously by-the-numbers Marvel movies about a miserable world of ineffective heroes?

Punkin Spunkin
Jan 1, 2010
Some people like coloring books

SuperMechagodzilla
Jun 9, 2007

NEWT REBORN
I also have trouble finding fun & colourful character-centric blockbuster movies at my local multiplex.

CelticPredator
Oct 11, 2013
🍀👽🆚🪖🏋

SuperMechagodzilla posted:

I also have trouble finding fun & colourful character-centric blockbuster movies at my local multiplex.

I don't so that's your loss.

Dexo
Aug 15, 2009

A city that was to live by night after the wilderness had passed. A city that was to forge out of steel and blood-red neon its own peculiar wilderness.

Brainiac Five posted:

Tilda Swinton is also seemingly playing the Ancient One as Tibetan in terms of dress and visual design but nevertheless white, which is an, um, suspicious decision.

Nah it makes perfect sense.

They wanted to at least make allusions to the Ancient one's original character. While also being able to show this movie in China.

Punkin Spunkin
Jan 1, 2010

CelticPredator posted:

This is a good point, and sometimes I have enough weed to simulate that :(

CelticPredator
Oct 11, 2013
🍀👽🆚🪖🏋

The only movie I wanted to see lately was Shin Godzilla but for some reason the world hosed me over. So whatever. Doctor Strange here I come!

Tuxedo Catfish
Mar 17, 2007

Dexo posted:

Nah it makes perfect sense.

They wanted to at least make allusions to the Ancient one's original character. While also being able to show this movie in China.

As if pandering to the Chinese government over that particular subject is any better?

Babysitter Super Sleuth
Apr 26, 2012

my posts are as bad the Current Releases review of Gone Girl

"no, see, it's okay because the whitewashing isn't motivated by racism, it's motivated by profit"

Dexo
Aug 15, 2009

A city that was to live by night after the wilderness had passed. A city that was to forge out of steel and blood-red neon its own peculiar wilderness.
Did I say doing that was okay, or I agreed with it?

bring back old gbs
Feb 28, 2007

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN

Alhazred posted:

Considering that Ryan Reynolds is pretty much the reason why the movie was made and that the studio wanted to make it a generic family movie I wouldn't be too worried.

Tim Miller isn't the studio, he is the other 50% of the reason the first movie got made. The guy knows action, and CG/VFX like the back of his hand, he used to run Blur Studios. He's a huge reason they were able to keep the budget so low which probably isn't as important this time around.

Electromax
May 6, 2007

CelticPredator posted:

You aren't living unless you actively dislike 90% of your hobbies.

SuperMechagodzilla
Jun 9, 2007

NEWT REBORN

Babysitter Super Sleuth posted:

"no, see, it's okay because the whitewashing isn't motivated by racism, it's motivated by profit"

Of course those are the same thing, except that the latter motivation is more insidious.

However, casting a bunch of Chinese people in Marvel Studio's Dr. Strange Begins would not be antiracism. Pushing for it is not antiracism. That's multiculturalism, which is not at all the same thing.Criticism based on casting alone is extremely limited. Antiracism would involve accepting, or even embracing, Swinton's character as an extremely white person. The question is the overall ideology of the film.

The truth is that nearly every MS film has been racist, because liberalism and libertarianism are racist ideologies.

Jenny Angel
Oct 24, 2010

Out of Control
Hard to Regulate
Anything Goes!
Lipstick Apathy

Tuxedo Catfish posted:

In addition to what CelticPredator said, if there's a character who could be any race and you cast a white person every time that kind of gives the lie to "this character could be any race!"

I was kinda pleasantly surprised to learn that L is gonna be black in the American Death Note

Punkin Spunkin
Jan 1, 2010
I support any sort of casting decisions that could potentially cause aneurysms or heart attacks in male white internet nerds. If that means a black James Bond then that means a black James Bond. Let's make batman Vietnamese again! Let's make Luke Skywalker an eight year old Haitian girl. Like Tony Stark always said, white genocide is the right genocide.

Tuxedo Catfish
Mar 17, 2007

SuperMechagodzilla posted:

Criticism based on casting alone is extremely limited. Antiracism would involve accepting, or even embracing, Swinton's character as an extremely white person.

The Ancient One as an aging hippy who went on a trip in search of a very limited notion of spiritual truth and got more than she bargained for would be pretty rad, and make her a logical mentor to Dr. Strange.

I don't think we're going to get anything of the sort, though.

Mierenneuker
Apr 28, 2010

We're all going to experience changes in our life but only the best of us will qualify for front row seats.

Clearly they should have never casted Ben Kingsley as The Mandarin in Iron Man 3 so he could have been The Ancient One in Dr. Strange.

Red Bones
Aug 9, 2012

"I think he's a bad enough person to stay ghost through his sheer love of child-killing."

Tuxedo Catfish posted:

The Ancient One as an aging hippy who went on a trip in search of a very limited notion of spiritual truth and got more than she bargained for would be pretty rad, and make her a logical mentor to Dr. Strange.

I don't think we're going to get anything of the sort, though.

I read a good paper once about how people who go travelling to "discover themselves" in Asia usually spend most of their time within an insular, western tourist culture of fellow travelers that has a lot in common with hippies and very little in common with whatever exact country they are travelling through at any given time. Namaste.

The MSJ
May 17, 2010

I hope Edgar Wright is free for Deadpool (or he's even interested in the first place).

Alhazred
Feb 16, 2011

The MSJ posted:

I hope Edgar Wright is free for Deadpool (or he's even interested in the first place).

Do you seriously think that Edgar Wright of all people would touch a Marvel movie with a ten feet pole?

Punkin Spunkin
Jan 1, 2010
Edgar Wright is too good/cool for a friggin deadpool movie. He managed to escape superhero movies once, don't drag him back

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Tuxedo Catfish
Mar 17, 2007

it'd be worth it just to see the universe implode over someone who's actually funny having creative control of Deadpool

• Locked thread