Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Vermain
Sep 5, 2006

veni veni veni posted:

I'm only like 20 minutes in but Discovering Bigfoot is totally loving amazing. It's this group of the most Canadian men I've ever seen just loving around with their mid life crisis toys and taking slow mo shots of each other running around in gillie suits or riding through rivers on their amphibious atv, while public domain metal blasts over it.

It contains such bold insights as "mankind hides himself in technology. Bigfoot hides himself in the woods" the whole thing has just been distilled unintentional comedy so far.

There's two-parter that I think was on Netflix at some point where they brought in an actual biologist and an investigate journalist to look at bigfoot samples people submitted from around the globe. There was one fellow they met with who had an apparent encounter with bigfoot that had become a centerpiece of his life, and when they show up at a steakhouse and tell him the hair he has from the encounter is bear fur, you can see his soul leaving his body.

If you like that sort of stuff, look up Monster Quest on Youtube. It's basically the same thing: the Monster Quest Team investigates some legendary creature using all of this ridiculous high-tech poo poo and then always inevitably concludes at the end, "Well, it probably doesn't exist... but who knows!!!"

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Panzeh
Nov 27, 2006

"..The high ground"
I enjoyed Bright. The movie would never come out in a theater and it's not super high quality cinema but i found it enjoyable and pretty funny.

Ugly In The Morning
Jul 1, 2010
Pillbug

Panzeh posted:

I enjoyed Bright. The movie would never come out in a theater and it's not super high quality cinema but i found it enjoyable and pretty funny.

I just watched the scene where they clear the apartment building with the wand-exploded corpses and that was pretty well done. It's not amazing but it does what it does pretty competently.

Panzeh
Nov 27, 2006

"..The high ground"

Ugly In The Morning posted:

I just watched the scene where they clear the apartment building with the wand-exploded corpses and that was pretty well done. It's not amazing but it does what it does pretty competently.

Yeah, I definitely agree- when it wanted to be haunting, it could. The ham was its charm, and honestly the real life race relations mentions didn't strike me as that odd considering that fantasy stuff itself tends to go there and the juxtaposition made way more sense here.

Also the bunch of things showing up in the movie that no one in the movie bothers to mention.

Inspector Hound
Jul 14, 2003

Panzeh posted:

Yeah, I definitely agree- when it wanted to be haunting, it could. The ham was its charm, and honestly the real life race relations mentions didn't strike me as that odd considering that fantasy stuff itself tends to go there and the juxtaposition made way more sense here.

Also the bunch of things showing up in the movie that no one in the movie bothers to mention.

People not mentioning how loving insane the world is except in passing was a big part of the charm for me. It's not a best picture winner or something, but I would totally watch Bright 2: Brighter, or a series.

I think a lot of the world building stuff was done with a cynical eye toward a follow up series/movie, but it worked out really well because the secret to an enjoyable sci fi our fantasy story is the characters moving around in a world that's much bigger than the story itself anyway.

e it also didn't open with a voice over! Only partial credit though because it did open with a stupid "verse" from a piece of lore in a world we haven't been sold on yet.

Inspector Hound fucked around with this message at 01:11 on Dec 23, 2017

Ugly In The Morning
Jul 1, 2010
Pillbug

Panzeh posted:

Honestly, the more I watch of this movie the more I like it. I'm about halfway through and the action is picking up and it's really well done. It avoids quick cuts, the gunplay is above average and watching Jakoby gently caress people up with orc strength is fun.

E: it has a good club fight/escape scene. It's checking all the cliche action movie boxes but it's doing it well enough and the fantasy twist is enough to keep me invested.

Ugly In The Morning fucked around with this message at 01:13 on Dec 23, 2017

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames
Jakoby absolutely steals the show from Will Smith by the end, especially the final scene with the two of them. They both nail the scene but he nails it moreso.

Ugly In The Morning
Jul 1, 2010
Pillbug
I was honestly surprised with how much I ended up liking Jakoby. Usually when you cover an actor on prosthetics it kills any chance of a good performance but whoever that actor was killed it.
Any fight scene with the Inferni is fantastic, too. I love how completely and utterly they outclass the protagonists and anyone else in the room.

E:movie kind of reminded me of Hitchcock, in that it's a twist on a familiar premise that got reviewed badly but I really enjoyed. I just finished it and it's a solid B-B+ movie for me.

Ugly In The Morning fucked around with this message at 01:55 on Dec 23, 2017

Medullah
Aug 14, 2003

FEAR MY SHARK ROCKET IT REALLY SUCKS AND BLOWS
Alien Nation: Azeroth Bright was definitely better than I expected. I think it could be a solid series.

hihifellow
Jun 17, 2005

seriously where the fuck did this genre come from
I liked Bright, when it played it as "cop drama except elves" it was decent, but as soon as orc jesus and his friend the legendary magic user happened it got kinda dumb!!

Ugly In The Morning
Jul 1, 2010
Pillbug

hihifellow posted:

I liked Bright, when it played it as "cop drama except elves" it was decent, but as soon as orc jesus and his friend the legendary magic user happened it got kinda dumb!!

That's like the last fifteen minutes of the movie, tops, though.

hump day bitches!
Apr 3, 2011

We all are too irony poisoned to enjoy a movie with good orc and centaur cops.The movie owned and everyone who thinks it's the worst movie of 2017 is straight up crazy.

Panzeh
Nov 27, 2006

"..The high ground"

That's like the last fifteen minutes of the movie, tops, though.

It doesn't dwell on it and honestly (spoilers: the final action sequence) She was just doing the magic herself to not have Will Smith explode. I'm pretty sure if he was real the elf-b-i would never have let him go.

Baku
Aug 20, 2005

by Fluffdaddy

Roman posted:

Bright was alright, more hokey buddy cop movie than I expected but it entertained me, and I want to see more of that world. People talking about it like it's Battlefield Earth need to get their head out of their rear end.

I'm having a good time watching it because it's funny and entertaining, but laughing about it feels weird because most of the humor is coming from the uncomfortable juxtaposition with real-life issues

like, the second scene in the movie is will smith, off-duty cop, casually bludgeoning a fairy to death in a scene which is played for laughs

it's one of the strangest movies I've seen in a long time and people are going to write some ridiculous reviews, both positive and negative, of it

Ugly In The Morning
Jul 1, 2010
Pillbug
Really, the more I think about I the more I like the movie. It's not some best of the year type thing but it's a solid B to B+, and was a shitload of fun. Everything it set out to do it did really well. The first five minutes or so kind of clubbed you over the head with worldbuilding but it set up some familiarity for things that all came into play later, so it ended up being worth it.

Panzeh
Nov 27, 2006

"..The high ground"

wizard on a water slide posted:

I'm having a good time watching it because it's funny and entertaining, but laughing about it feels weird because most of the humor is coming from the uncomfortable juxtaposition with real-life issues

like, the second scene in the movie is will smith, off-duty cop, casually bludgeoning a fairy to death in a scene which is played for laughs

it's one of the strangest movies I've seen in a long time and people are going to write some ridiculous reviews, both positive and negative, of it

This kind of stuff feels really weird when it comes up in ostensibly fantasy novels but moving the setting to contemporary LA makes it a lot more effective than, say, the racism of Witcher 3's world in making the point, imo.

Also, I kinda like how it feels like they've all been there, unlike Shadowrun's thing where the fantasy stuff just suddenly popped up. The graffiti sequence at the beginning is nice, though I will say some of the other worldbuilding feels ponderous at times.

Nasgate
Jun 7, 2011
Bright is another okay-good movie that would've been better without Will Smith.

Marmaduke!
May 19, 2009

Why would it do that!?
It was a decent enough movie. I wonder if Max Landis is a big Final Fantasy 7 fan? There were some shots that were incredibly reminiscent of some of the most striking parts of the game. First there was an Elfish Jenova, okay probably just a coincidence, but then there's a bit that was a lot like Cloud and Aeris, maybe I was imagining things, but then their villain did it a pretty good Sephiroth impression to round it off...

Rough Lobster
May 27, 2009

Don't be such a squid, bro
US Prime has Pan's Labyrinth. Really great Spanish language (subbed) dark fantasy tale. Beautifully shot.

Raskolnikov2089
Nov 3, 2006

Schizzy to the matic

sportsgenius86 posted:

Shot In The Dark needs more love. Holy loving poo poo this show is gripping and beautifully shot.

Yup. That first episode was intense. Everyone except the British dudes seems a little mentally ill though,

Inspector Hound
Jul 14, 2003

I randomly watched Temple on Netflix the other day, it's a "horror" movie about three folks looking for an abandoned shrine in rural Japan. It was pretty bad. The strange part is that some of it looked really good, like whoever was swinging the camera around knew what they were doing but all they had to swing it at was a slow, lovely movie.

I chased with Guardians of the Galaxy Vol 2 (also Netflix), and I'm fairly sure it's the best Marvel movie so far. Everyone commits so hard, and the jokes land without undercutting the scenes they're in. The most jarring bit is probably Kurt Russell going straight into villain mode when Quill shoots him--you just told the kid you killed his mom, you're immortal, maybe give him a few free shots and keep trying to win him over for another minute. By that point though I guess it's already completely clear he's the bad guy, so they didn't want to waste any more time before the final battle. I hope Sylvester Stallone doesn't die of steroid cancer or whatever before they get to use him again in Vol 3/Infinity Wars.

Inspector Hound fucked around with this message at 19:50 on Dec 23, 2017

Punkin Spunkin
Jan 1, 2010

Inspector Hound posted:

I chased with Guardians of the Galaxy Vol 2 (also Netflix), and I'm fairly sure it's the best Marvel movie so far. Everyone commits so hard, and the jokes land without undercutting the scenes they're in. The most jarring bit is probably Kurt Russell going straight into villain mode when Quill shoots him--you just told the kid you killed his mom, you're immortal, maybe give him a few free shots and keep trying to win him over for another minute. By that point though I guess it's already completely clear he's the bad guy, so they didn't want to waste any more time before the final battle. I hope Sylvester Stallone doesn't die of steroid cancer or whatever before they get to use him again in Vol 3/Infinity Wars.
Agree completely, it made me realize the Guardians movies are basically the only Marvel movies I can tolerate...the quipping and levity actually worked and didn't feel forced unlike every other Marvel film I've seen. I was kind of thinking the same thing about Kurt Russell's character maybe don't make your pitch include LOL BTW I KILLED UR MOM...but then I realized, well, he is a megalomaniacal divine psychopath literally named "EGO", I don't think he was stressing the details with his pitch.

A MIRACLE
Sep 17, 2007

All right. It's Saturday night; I have no date, a two-liter bottle of Shasta and my all-Rush mix-tape... Let's rock.

Yeah guardians was legit, saw it in theatres. And I think marvel is hot garbage

Nasgate
Jun 7, 2011
I think Thor: Ragnarok makes Guardians 2 look like an unfunny Michael Bay busy movie in comparison. Though that's a bit unfair comparison since Taika is a better fit for combining serious drama and comedy.

Maybe I'll do a rewatch, see if my recollection isn't just because Ragnarok and Baby Driver make it look bad in comparison.

Punkin Spunkin
Jan 1, 2010
I like Taika as a director but it's not like James Gunn is some random incompetent. He is also quite familiar with pairing drama/action with comedy. Not sure I even think Taika is better at him at that. I thought What We Do in the Shadows was okay. It has some funny moments. To be fair I haven't seen Hunt for the Wilderpeople.

HUNDU THE BEAST GOD
Sep 14, 2007

everything is yours
Hunt for the Wilderpeople is very good.

Inspector Hound
Jul 14, 2003

Nasgate posted:

I think Thor: Ragnarok makes Guardians 2 look like an unfunny Michael Bay busy movie in comparison. Though that's a bit unfair comparison since Taika is a better fit for combining serious drama and comedy.

Maybe I'll do a rewatch, see if my recollection isn't just because Ragnarok and Baby Driver make it look bad in comparison.

No, Ragnorak was pretty good too, I can't wait to rewatch that when it comes to Netflix. I think the key to both (and to the parts of Doctor Strange that were good) was that they went with the absolutely loving nuts craziest, farthest-out parts of Marvel lore that producers would lend them money for. Guy in a robot suit? Eh. Kid with spider powers? Sure I guess. Superheroes team up to fight evil robots? Oh no, I hope there's not a blue laser shooting into the sky at the end.

Ancient astronaut fights mutated scientist in a thunderdome on an alien junkyard planet ruled by Jeff Goldblum? An orphan, a raccoon, a tree, and an aspergic alien body builder fight an omnipotent living planet? Interdimensional psychedelic wizards? gently caress yes

TheMopeSquad
Aug 5, 2013

Marmaduke! posted:

It was a decent enough movie. I wonder if Max Landis is a big Final Fantasy 7 fan? There were some shots that were incredibly reminiscent of some of the most striking parts of the game. First there was an Elfish Jenova, okay probably just a coincidence, but then there's a bit that was a lot like Cloud and Aeris, maybe I was imagining things, but then their villain did it a pretty good Sephiroth impression to round it off...

Jakoby was basically Kimahri with the other orcs pointing and laughing at him calling him "No Fang! No Fang!"

A MIRACLE
Sep 17, 2007

All right. It's Saturday night; I have no date, a two-liter bottle of Shasta and my all-Rush mix-tape... Let's rock.

Inspector Hound posted:

No, Ragnorak was pretty good too, I can't wait to rewatch that when it comes to Netflix. I think the key to both (and to the parts of Doctor Strange that were good) was that they went with the absolutely loving nuts craziest, farthest-out parts of Marvel lore that producers would lend them money for. Guy in a robot suit? Eh. Kid with spider powers? Sure I guess. Superheroes team up to fight evil robots? Oh no, I hope there's not a blue laser shooting into the sky at the end.

Ancient astronaut fights mutated scientist in a thunderdome on an alien junkyard planet ruled by Jeff Goldblum? An orphan, a raccoon, a tree, and an aspergic alien body builder fight an omnipotent living planet? Interdimensional psychedelic wizards? gently caress yes

What’s the one with goldblum?

TychoCelchuuu
Jan 2, 2012

This space for Rent.

A MIRACLE posted:

What’s the one with goldblum?
Ragnarok.

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames

Really, the more I think about I the more I like the movie. It's not some best of the year type thing but it's a solid B to B+, and was a shitload of fun. Everything it set out to do it did really well. The first five minutes or so kind of clubbed you over the head with worldbuilding but it set up some familiarity for things that all came into play later, so it ended up being worth it.

Same, I think I'm gonna give it a casual second viewing just for all the little things that were great.

I think comparing to Hancock is pretty interesting, and I like that movie a lot too until the third act. Bright has a problematic third act too but it's only like 10 minutes of screentime and afterwards it really redeems itself with the final scene.

e: and as heavy-handed as some of the worldbuilding was, hey, at least it didn't start with a kludgy voiceover.

the grafitti with the sELFie girl was great, really all the grafitti in the film was amazing, i wonder who did it

veni veni veni
Jun 5, 2005

Yeah, Just watched Bright and didn't think it was bad at all. Sometimes the tone felt sort of weird/off, like it was played so straight and was so violent for such a goofy premise, but it was thoroughly enjoyable. I'm not sure what is making it such a critical whipping boy.

Edit: holy poo poo I had no idea Joel Edgerton was Jacoby.

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames

veni veni veni posted:

Edit: holy poo poo I had no idea Joel Edgerton was Jacoby.

In a couple scenes I could have sworn he was Bubbles from Trailer Park Boys

grobbo
May 29, 2014
Ehhh, I went in with an open mind, but I honestly thought Bright was a minor atrocity.

A combination of dumb plotting that was both incredibly simple and needlessly overwrought Remember the two separate scenes where the FBI agents are called upon to muse aloud, with photographs to help us along, ‘So BAD ELF is after GOOD ELF, who has the WAND.’? and general mean-spiritedness.

For its vague pretensions towards racial tolerance, the narrative has zero intention of seriously challenging Ward as a character. He begins the movie snapping unpleasantly at a grovelling, subservient Jakoby for no good reason...and that’s exactly how they end it in the hospital bed.

Ward is an astonishingly unlikeable protagonist, but the script flatters him at every turn, to the point of repeatedly undermining Jakoby’s character journey. (The poor guy doesn’t even get a climactic act of heroism in the final fight. He has three dramatic moments, and flubs them all. First he hesitates to shoot. Then he hits the wand, and gets yelled at for missing the head. Then he runs out of ammo. His defining heroic act, it then turns out, is ‘busting through a small door to help out a man who does nothing but insult him.’ Jesus, give him some dignity, will you?)

Chaotic Flame
Jun 1, 2009

So...

What's the other streaming check site that's not canistreamit?

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames

Chaotic Flame posted:

instantwatcher?

veni veni veni
Jun 5, 2005

grobbo posted:

Ehhh, I went in with an open mind, but I honestly thought Bright was a minor atrocity.

A combination of dumb plotting that was both incredibly simple and needlessly overwrought Remember the two separate scenes where the FBI agents are called upon to muse aloud, with photographs to help us along, ‘So BAD ELF is after GOOD ELF, who has the WAND.’? and general mean-spiritedness.

For its vague pretensions towards racial tolerance, the narrative has zero intention of seriously challenging Ward as a character. He begins the movie snapping unpleasantly at a grovelling, subservient Jakoby for no good reason...and that’s exactly how they end it in the hospital bed.

Ward is an astonishingly unlikeable protagonist, but the script flatters him at every turn, to the point of repeatedly undermining Jakoby’s character journey. (The poor guy doesn’t even get a climactic act of heroism in the final fight. He has three dramatic moments, and flubs them all. First he hesitates to shoot. Then he hits the wand, and gets yelled at for missing the head. Then he runs out of ammo. His defining heroic act, it then turns out, is ‘busting through a small door to help out a man who does nothing but insult him.’ Jesus, give him some dignity, will you?)

I wouldn't disagree with most of this, but I still thought it was a satisfying watch. I don't think anyone is claiming it's a great movie or anything

drunken officeparty
Aug 23, 2006

I'm not even halfway through Bright but I can just say that the whole idea of it is super cool.

pseudorandom name
May 6, 2007

Chaotic Flame posted:

Just Watch

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames

veni veni veni posted:

I wouldn't disagree with most of this, but I still thought it was a satisfying watch. I don't think anyone is claiming it's a great movie or anything

I think it's kind of great, in that it's a terrific buddy cop movie of a sort that there hasn't been a really good one of in quite a while. The humor and interplay between Smith and Edgerton is top notch and like someone else said, what it tries to do it does really well.

"We are not listening to any orcish music today."