Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

clutchpuck
Apr 30, 2004
ro-tard
A few of the stations close to boat launches and the farm feed co-op advertise their E0. The co-op is only 87 octane though. I fill up close to a popular boat launch that definitely has no ethanol.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

goddamnedtwisto
Dec 31, 2004

If you ask me about the mole people in the London Underground, I WILL be forced to kill you
Fun Shoe

clutchpuck posted:

I am often dense, but doesn't a scottoiler make a huge mess lubing the chain and does nothing for adjusting the slack? Seems like we're talking about 2 different problems here.

If I was crazy enough to tour on a chain, I'd bring a quantity of chain lube (whatever chain lube I am comfortable using at the time) and a digital torque attachment for a regular socket wrench.

Well it doesn't make a huge mess if it's set up right, that's one of the points of it, and lack of proper lubrication is one of the main reasons a chain will stretch. I've not used one myself, but people who do have them swear by them and claim it doubles or triples the life of the chain compared to manual lubing.

2ndclasscitizen
Jan 2, 2009

by Y Kant Ozma Post

the walkin dude posted:

I'm looking to make my new '04 ZX6R streetfighter more comfy. Right now riding the bike, it shoves my nuts into the gas tank upon deceleration. And my legs are a bit wound up too tight. I plan on a Corbin seat as it's apparently the only alternative in town. Stomp Grips as well. Is there a brand that produces lower footpegs - or even lower rearsets - for the zx6r?

Any decent rearsets will be adjustable and be able to set lower down and further forward.

Halo_4am
Sep 25, 2003

Code Zombie

Snowdens Secret posted:

Whether a certain gas has ethanol in it / how much is very dependent on what state you live in, so saying "This gas has / has no ethanol" is meaningless without stating location

In and around Chicago I get the impression that no ethanol free stations exist.

Chris Knight
Jun 5, 2002

me @ ur posts

Fun Shoe

Halo_4am posted:

However I haven't seen anything about V-Power being ethanol free? The pumps just say gas contains 10% ethanol, they don't break it down by their octane rating.
A) it's on the pump
B) it's on their website: http://www.shell.ca/home/content/can-en/products_services/on_the_road/fuels/shell_vpower/

I was replying to a fellow Canuck :)

Halo_4am
Sep 25, 2003

Code Zombie

Chris Knight posted:

A) it's on the pump
B) it's on their website: http://www.shell.ca/home/content/can-en/products_services/on_the_road/fuels/shell_vpower/

I was replying to a fellow Canuck :)

Ah, sorry to butt in to that I guess :P

Looking at the link there though I don't see anything regarding ethanol mixture. Just a lot of 'Nitrogen Enriched Cleaning System' boasting. I could be blind and missing it?

:edit:
Nevermind it's on the faq.

Shell posted:

Is Shell V-Power premium gasoline safe for all vehicles?

Shell V-Power is effective in all gasoline-powered engines found in conventional, modern and hybrid vehicles as well as motorcycles, snowmobiles, and leisure marine vehicles.
Tested in today’s advanced turbo-charged and direct injection engines, Shell V-Power helps resist thermal breakdown at high temperatures, actively protecting against gunk under tough engine conditions.
Shell V-Power premium gasoline in Canada does not contain ethanol

That line is sadly missing from the US version :(
http://www.shell.us/home/content/usa/products_services/on_the_road/fuels/v_power/

Halo_4am fucked around with this message at 13:43 on Aug 28, 2012

slidebite
Nov 6, 2005

Good egg
:colbert:

I found this kind of interesting:
http://www.shell.ca/home/content/can-en/products_services/on_the_road/pricing/rack_prices/app_rack_pricing.html

According to this, they list terminal pricing for RUL and RUL-10, where RUL is regular unleaded, and RUL-10 is an ethanol blend... which makes me think that they still do a regular with no ethanol?

They probably don't differentiate at the pump though so there wouldn't be a way of knowing.

Sagebrush
Feb 26, 2012

ERM... Actually I have stellar scores on the surveys, and every year students tell me that my classes are the best ones they’ve ever taken.
I don't have any problems with ethanol in my gas because whenever I buy fuel I just take it to the chem lab and have my buddy there run a fractional distillation. Takes a couple of days but at the end I get pure petroleum-based gasoline and free alcohol to boot!

slidebite
Nov 6, 2005

Good egg

Pfft. Just buy straight up E85 and drink it. Save the lab costs!

alnilam
Nov 10, 2009

I don't drink anything less dilute than E15 :colbert:

Chris Knight
Jun 5, 2002

me @ ur posts

Fun Shoe
Man, buncha alcohol snobs all up ITT.

Resource
Aug 6, 2006
Yay!
Tried over in the SuperMoto thread, but I guess this is a general question too, I hope that's not too spammy.

Any brand recommendations for chains and sprockets? I imagine the 30 dollar chain can't be as wonderful as the 500 dollar chain, but what should I expect to spend on chains and sprockets?

Frozen Pizza Party
Dec 13, 2005

Resource posted:

Tried over in the SuperMoto thread, but I guess this is a general question too, I hope that's not too spammy.

Any brand recommendations for chains and sprockets? I imagine the 30 dollar chain can't be as wonderful as the 500 dollar chain, but what should I expect to spend on chains and sprockets?

DID chains are highly acclaimed, as well as driven sprockets. Renthal makes them too I think, and at the end of the day, isn't metal metal sort of?

Safety Dance
Sep 10, 2007

Five degrees to starboard!

SaNChEzZ posted:

DID chains are highly acclaimed, as well as driven sprockets. Renthal makes them too I think, and at the end of the day, isn't metal metal sort of?

Sort of like how torque is torque, and tight enough works. (I can't remember if that was your post or what, but I thought it was a funny exchange.)

While I don't know who makes the best sprockets, there are metallurgical differences that could make one better than another.

Frozen Pizza Party
Dec 13, 2005

Safety Dance posted:

Sort of like how torque is torque, and tight enough works. (I can't remember if that was your post or what, but I thought it was a funny exchange.)

While I don't know who makes the best sprockets, there are metallurgical differences that could make one better than another.

It wasn't mine but yes just like that :haw:

Resource
Aug 6, 2006
Yay!
I'm retarded. Ignore this.

Resource fucked around with this message at 03:28 on Aug 29, 2012

karms
Jan 22, 2006

by Nyc_Tattoo
Yam Slacker
Aluminium is soft as gently caress, buy a steelie. That's all my knowledge about sprockets.

Resource
Aug 6, 2006
Yay!
Ok, going with DID chain and sunstar steel spockets, 15/38 for the DRZ for some better highway. Still not sure what the best route to take is for tools, but my chain is stretched to hell so I'll just get something.

Safety Dance
Sep 10, 2007

If it's a clip style master link, you can just use a screwdriver and some RTV sealant to pop the clip in place. Just make sure the clip is facing the correct direction, such that if it took a blow while spinning, it wouldn't be knocked out of place (i.e. with the closed end facing down when the master link is on the rear sprocket). If it's a rivet style master link, buy the tool.

There are nerds out there who claim clip style is bad and terrible and will result in your death. They're nerds, don't listen to them.

slidebite
Nov 6, 2005

Good egg

KARMA! posted:

Aluminium is soft as gently caress, buy a steelie. That's all my knowledge about sprockets.

You can actually buy aluminum sprockets? :psypop:

FlerpNerpin
Apr 17, 2006

slidebite posted:

Motocross bikes

Baller Witness Bro
Nov 16, 2006

Hey FedEx, how dare you deliver something before your "delivered by" time.
They definitely make them for sportbikes as well. They don't wear that much faster than steel and are usually much lighter. If you don't mind a replacement marginally sooner they're fine.

Beve Stuscemi
Jun 6, 2001

slidebite posted:

Yes and they arent as bad as everyone makes them seem. I ran some from PBI sprockets on my Bandit and they didnt wear any differently than steel ones as far as I could tell, and were way lighter

slidebite
Nov 6, 2005

Good egg

I had no idea. What's the benefit? Is it just weight?

I assume it's just the driven side? On the industrial side of things that I do, I can't really wrap my head around that unless it was some low torque application, but even then we'd probably just size in a smaller drive.

Baller Witness Bro
Nov 16, 2006

It's less rotating mass. Just the same reason people switch from 530 down to 520 chains and sprockets.

Safety Dance
Sep 10, 2007

I imagine you get a skoch better chain wear with aluminum sprockets, because the sprockets are putting more wear on themselves and less on the chain.

XYLOPAGUS
Aug 23, 2006
--the creator of awesome--
I helped a buddy replace his rear sprocket on his DL1000 for one with more teeth. The one we replaced was aluminum and it seemed to wear fine. He had 40,000 miles on the bike, but I think the aluminum one was an aftermarket, so I don't know exactly how many miles were on it.

Oh and he's a "gut-en-tight" guy. Doesn't use torque wrenches for anything but direct engine work.

the walkin dude
Oct 27, 2004

powerfully erect.
Has anyone had a Delkevic slip-on, particularly the 18'' one, for their I-4 bike?

I'm thinking of replacing the rusty, aging stock cannon on my ZX6R with the 18'' Delkevic stainless. I already love the 14'' stubby Delkevic on my SV650 and want an exhaust that doesn't annoy neighbors and doesn't loudly drone from 4k RPM up like the Jardine RT-1 slip-on on my old 636. But then again that silencer was like 9 inches long.

Ah yeah - my fuel-injected '04 ZX6R has a K&N air filter. If I threw a slip-on on, would that affect the bike negatively? There's no Power Commander or anything else.

the walkin dude fucked around with this message at 01:26 on Aug 30, 2012

slidebite
Nov 6, 2005

Good egg

XYLOPAGUS posted:

I helped a buddy replace his rear sprocket on his DL1000 for one with more teeth. The one we replaced was aluminum and it seemed to wear fine. He had 40,000 miles on the bike, but I think the aluminum one was an aftermarket, so I don't know exactly how many miles were on it.

Oh and he's a "gut-en-tight" guy. Doesn't use torque wrenches for anything but direct engine work.

This whole aluminum sprocket thing is new to me. I can actually see on the driven (wheel) side it not being a big deal given the much larger tooth count and shared torque load, but it sounds like they are, if I'm understanding it, on the motor side too. That genuinely surprises me. Learn something new every day! :)

CombatMedic
Feb 26, 2004

ANUDDAH SUCCESSFOOL PRECEEDJUH!
So, my bike, a 2012 HD Night rod special, is at the shop right now getting dyno tuned. I put some slip-on mufflers on and changed the air filter, so I just want to get it running smoothly. I dropped it off on Monday morning. The kid at the counter told me it would take 4 hours, which I knew was BS, but he wasn't the one doing the tuning so I let it slide.

I get a call that afternoon, saying that my ignition coil went out while they were tuning, and they have to order a replacement and it will be done Tuesday.

So Wednesday comes and goes, and I call the shop right around 5, asking what was going on. The same front-counter kid says they are installing the mudflap I ordered. So after a bit of "What the gently caress are you talking about", I figured out they had broken a tiny plastic mudflap that goes under the rear fender, and are replacing it.

Suffice to say, I am not really confident about the work at this point. What do I need to look for when I pick the bike up from the dyno tune tomorrow? What is the sign of a "Bad tune"? Anything else they could gently caress up and miss?

Or am I just worrying over nothing?

Sagebrush
Feb 26, 2012

ERM... Actually I have stellar scores on the surveys, and every year students tell me that my classes are the best ones they’ve ever taken.
I'd be pretty worried about a shop that breaks even a small thing on your bike, doesn't tell you, and then claims that you told them to order the replacement part, yes. Especially if they're going to charge you for that.

slidebite
Nov 6, 2005

Good egg

I agree with ^^

Other question: Was your bike actually running rough with a slip on and air filter?

CombatMedic
Feb 26, 2004

ANUDDAH SUCCESSFOOL PRECEEDJUH!

slidebite posted:

I agree with ^^

Other question: Was your bike actually running rough with a slip on and air filter?

It ran, but I had a lot of backfiring around 3k RPMs, and I lost a noticeable amount of power above 5000 RPMs

Baller Witness Bro
Nov 16, 2006

Should I make the joke or does someone else want to take it?

Saga
Aug 17, 2009

slidebite posted:

This whole aluminum sprocket thing is new to me. I can actually see on the driven (wheel) side it not being a big deal given the much larger tooth count and shared torque load, but it sounds like they are, if I'm understanding it, on the motor side too. That genuinely surprises me. Learn something new every day! :)

No, just the back, at least for a road application. Fronts are invariably steel.

Renthal, Talon and lord knows how many other people have been selling aluminium sprockets since the year dot. It's not an innovation.

Day Man
Jul 30, 2007

Champion of the Sun!

Master of karate and friendship...
for everyone!

JP Money posted:

Should I make the joke or does someone else want to take it?

Go ahead.

SeeYouEnTee
May 5, 2010

Pickle Presenter
I'm trying to fit a discontinued cowl on my bike (89 Suzkuki GS500). I'm in need of two of these:

that connect the cowl to the sides of the headlight bucket. I have no idea what they are called other than 'standoffs' I could buy the part for $14x2 but I know I've seen something similar before.

Anyone know what they're called, and where I can find them online?
I know it's a 1.25 pitch, bottom end has a shoulder, and the whole thing measures 60mm (30 being the place where the standoff starts).

Baller Witness Bro
Nov 16, 2006

Day Man posted:

Go ahead.

It's just too easy. I'll reserve said joke for a true layer dan kind of guy.

2ndclasscitizen
Jan 2, 2009

by Y Kant Ozma Post

Jim Silly-Balls posted:

Yes and they arent as bad as everyone makes them seem. I ran some from PBI sprockets on my Bandit and they didnt wear any differently than steel ones as far as I could tell, and were way lighter

Yeah, same here. I'm running a Driven 520 chain + aluminium sprockets on my GSXR1000 and they've probably got nearly 20,000kms on them and they're still in good shape. Chain's wearing well too. And yes, there's certainly a noticeable difference in pickup with the lighter chain + sprockets.

e: It's probably got a lot to do with how you ride as well. If you've got a torque-y bike and are a ham-fisted fool on the throttle you'll probably shred them, but if you're smooth they'll last just as long.

2ndclasscitizen fucked around with this message at 06:51 on Aug 31, 2012

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

n8r
Jul 3, 2003

I helped Lowtax become a cyborg and all I got was this lousy avatar

2ndclasscitizen posted:

Yeah, same here. I'm running a Driven 520 chain + aluminium sprockets on my GSXR1000 and they've probably got nearly 20,000kms on them and they're still in good shape. Chain's wearing well too. And yes, there's certainly a noticeable difference in pickup with the lighter chain + sprockets.

e: It's probably got a lot to do with how you ride as well. If you've got a torque-y bike and are a ham-fisted fool on the throttle you'll probably shred them, but if you're smooth they'll last just as long.

I do not believe you can feel the difference.