Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Tom Guycot
Oct 15, 2008

Chief of Governors

The Glumslinger posted:

Igrab Cuntra Affair

:eyepop:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Pakled
Aug 6, 2011

WE ARE SMART
I'm pleasantly surprised that the popular perception is that Trump still lost that debate, even if only slightly. Trump was a bit more coherent this time so it really is the country rejecting his positions and not just his personality. I thought for sure that Trump's machismo and unrelenting attacks (and, to be fair, a sub-par performance from Hillary) would put him over the edge in public opinion (for this debate, not the whole election, he's sunk in the election) but it seems people really do see through Turmp's bullshit now, and that gives me hope.

remusclaw
Dec 8, 2009

It's way more fun to come up with different name every time you mention it.

Donald Trump will return in...

Grabdapussy

Supercar Gautier
Jun 10, 2006

Zwabu posted:

Yeah, too tired tonight but tomorrow morning I want to take a look at 270towin and game out what's the earliest time 270 EVs can be confirmed, if, say, she wins the whole Midwest, FL, NC and VA.

The media will be very hesitant to call it until it's absolutely over. Early in the evening in 2008, Obama was doing so well that the west coast was guaranteed to seal the deal, but the networks refused to call it and focused on Ohio instead (which turned out not to be a consequential swing state that year).

For a funny contrast, in Canada the latest election was called for Trudeau the instant the Atlantic polls closed, even though many seats in the rest of the country were still technically up in the air.

Runaktla
Feb 21, 2007

by Hand Knit

Tom Guycot posted:

Regarding the health care debate a couple pages ago, and the usual idiots that seem to surface and try to defend the US health care system and attack single payer setups, I always have a great personal anecdote.

Years ago in the US I had pain strong enough to show up to an ER in the middle of the night, got an ultrasound, and was kicked out a couple hours later with nothing but some suggestions and a 7k bill I couldn't pay back then.
In Australia I had the same pain in the middle of the night, showed up to an ER, got seen a half hour later, ultrasound 3 hours later, keyhole surgery 5 hours after that, had a lovely private room and was discharged from the hospital the next morning with absolutely 0 dollars owed.

Yeah... keep talking about how lovely health care is outside of US. America has the worst loving healthcare possible in the first world.
I got screwed by delays in skin cancer treatment, it had mestasticized to my lymph nodes, and one rapidly grew a tumor that was causing severe pain, pushing against my facial nerves and fighting for facial real estate with my ear.

Went to ER in pain they could do nothing but prescribe pain killers. Eventually got an emergency surgery with my ENT doc who volunteered to step in when other parts of the system "failed me" (his words) but by then it corrupted a saliva gland and part of my face is permanently paralyzed from nerve damage. This was a month and a half ago.

I have a lot more I've said in the cancer thread in SA but yea us health care is lovely.

TheOneAndOnlyT
Dec 18, 2005

Well well, mister fancy-pants, I hope you're wearing your matching sweater today, or you'll be cut down like the ugly tree you are.

Islam is the Lite Rock FM posted:

gently caress adding gate to the end of scandals. gently caress it forever.
-ghazi is worse IMO, since the Benghazi "scandal" isn't actually true.

Pakled
Aug 6, 2011

WE ARE SMART
What would the earliest bellweather of a sure Clinton victory be? GA going blue? FL going blue means it's a sure thing for Hillary too, but the polls don't close there until an hour later so we won't get a call until 8pm EST at the earliest.

Liquid Communism
Mar 9, 2004

коммунизм хранится в яичках

Didn't the pussygrab source say there was more and there was worse? Or was that just Clinton?

One of the 'Apprentice' production folks posted just that.

Instant Sunrise
Apr 12, 2007

The manger babies don't have feelings. You said it yourself.

Supercar Gautier posted:

The media will be very hesitant to call it until it's absolutely over. Early in the evening in 2008, Obama was doing so well that the west coast was guaranteed to seal the deal, but the networks refused to call it and focused on Ohio instead (which turned out not to be a consequential swing state that year).

For a funny contrast, in Canada the latest election was called for Trudeau the instant the Atlantic polls closed, even though many seats in the rest of the country were still technically up in the air.

nobody wants a repeat of 2000

Islam is the Lite Rock FM
Jul 27, 2007

by exmarx

TheOneAndOnlyT posted:

Hmmm both are poo poo but you do have a point.

Not like pussy and grab are hard to turn into a good name.

FuturePastNow
May 19, 2014

Pakled posted:

I'm pleasantly surprised that the popular perception is that Trump still lost that debate, even if only slightly. Trump was a bit more coherent this time so it really is the country rejecting his positions and not just his personality.

He was more coherent but his personality was a big turn-off. He interrupted her every time she spoke. And he almost never actually answered a question. He's a huge yuuuge prick and normal people do notice that.

Sulphagnist
Oct 10, 2006

WARNING! INTRUDERS DETECTED

Pakled posted:

What would the earliest bellweather of a sure Clinton victory be? GA going blue? FL going blue means it's a sure thing for Hillary too, but the polls don't close there until an hour later so we won't get a call until 8pm EST at the earliest.

Poll averages showing a ten or more point national lead on on the eve of the election coupled with 5+ point leads in enough swing states to hit 300+ EV.

There is no way there's a ten point polling miss in this day and age.

Agrajag
Jan 21, 2006

gat dang thats hot

FuturePastNow posted:

He was more coherent but his personality was a big turn-off. He interrupted her every time she spoke. And he almost never actually answered a question. He's a huge yuuuge prick and normal people do notice that.

he also loomed behind her with his scrunchy face and stalked her every time it was her turn to talk.

Jul 27, 2007

by exmarx

Pakled posted:

I'd say GA going blue would be the dagger twisting.

Mantis42
Jul 26, 2010

TheOneAndOnlyT posted:

Pussywater

remusclaw
Dec 8, 2009

His complaint about her getting more time then him will get some play alongside the stat that shows he got about a minute more than her to talk.

There is also the fact that whenever the timer started to wind down on her, he would bring the mic up to his mouth like he could barely restrain himself from cutting her off. Sometimes failing to do so.

Instant Sunrise
Apr 12, 2007

NC, GA and FL going blue probably won't get called until later on election night if they're close.

Samurai Sanders
Nov 4, 2003

Pillbug

Agrajag posted:

he also loomed behind her with his scrunchy face and stalked her every time it was her turn to talk.
There was at least one time when I seriously thought he was going to grab her from behind.

isildur
May 31, 2000

BattleDroids: Flashpoint OH NO! Dekker! IS DOWN! THIS IS Glitch! Taking Command! THIS IS Glich! Taking command! OH NO! Glitch! IS DOWN! THIS IS Medusa! Taking command! THIS IS Medusa! Taking command! OH NO! Medusa IS DOWN!

Soon to be part of the Battletech Universe canon.
Someone asked why we want kill-shots.

It's because we need to run up the loving score, or this is going to happen again and again, every four years like clockwork. These people are not going to slink away quietly. This is the new normal. The only way to stop it is to completely and totally destroy them politically -- to make the extreme populist fascist right so humiliated that no mainstream political party will let them have even a second of air-time to pollute with their garbage.

Trumpism needs to become a third rail, or we're just leaving this problem for the next election, and the next, and the next.

Then, once it's so loathed and toxic that nobody brings it up anymore, and we have an opposition party willing to govern, we can maybe get back to work on making America not a pile of poo poo.

And gently caress the Republicans for making my dreams of political success so small: to just make America a little bit less lovely by the time my kids are adults.

Filthy Hans
Jun 27, 2008

by Fluffdaddy

(and can't post for 10 years!)

The NY times flowchart says FL, NC, VA end it. Those three will be earliest unless FL fucks up and goes slow.

FL resident here, I'd bet money that Rick Scott pulls some last-minute maneuver to close voting stations early or some other bullshit to disenfranchise city voters

Instant Sunrise
Apr 12, 2007

i think trump looming over hillary is definitely going to get a lot of play this week in the news cycle.

Bip Roberts
Mar 29, 2005

Instant Sunrise posted:

NC, GA and FL going blue probably won't get called until later on election night if they're close.

If Georgia is close then Florida and NC aren't and then it's over.

Jul 27, 2007

by exmarx
Infer your own 'can we call it?' scenarios from here.

The Glumslinger
Sep 24, 2008

Coach Nagy, you want me to throw to WHAT side of the field?

Hair Elf

I'd say GA going blue would be the dagger twisting.

What would a blue texas be? Teabagging the corpse?

Filthy Hans
Jun 27, 2008

by Fluffdaddy

Instant Sunrise posted:

i think trump looming over hillary is definitely going to get a lot of play this week in the news cycle.

A lot of what Trump and Clinton said was incomprehensible to many of the viewers, but the body language is something anyone can understand. The looming, the pacing, the sniffling, the grimaces, the hand gestures when he was interrupting Clinton or the moderators, and even the chairfucking may put off voters too stupid to understand the issues or carry out fact-checking on the internet.

Young Freud
Nov 26, 2006

Quinton posted:

https://twitter.com/jbarro/status/785358312233631744

Trump is angry that he couldn't get optimal placement for the women he invited along as props!

There's another Trump projection onto Hillary: uses woman like props.

The Glumslinger posted:

The coffin lid closing.

Filthy Hans
Jun 27, 2008

by Fluffdaddy

The Glumslinger posted:

http://www.urbandictionary.com/define.php?term=mung

the top definition is what you're looking for

Lead out in cuffs
Sep 18, 2012

"That's right. We've evolved."

"I can see that. Cool mutations."

FuturePastNow posted:

I've only watched highlights, but he also didn't seem to be able to keep his facts straight. Like, when pressing Hillary on emails, he said "33,000 deleted emails", "39,000 deleted emails" and "15,000 deleted emails" in the space of a minute. The idea of objective, measurable reality just doesn't seem to register with him. He just makes up numbers as he goes.

Paradoxish
Dec 19, 2003

Will you stop going crazy in there?

Supercar Gautier posted:

I disagree. The main factor in a downballot blowout is how motivated republicans are to bother voting.

The more Trump blows up, the more demoralized they'll be, and the less likely they'll be to go to the polls-- whether or not the downticket Republicans keep their wagon hitched to him.

"Hillary is definitely going to win and our only hope is to hold onto Congress" is a hell of a motivator, it's just not something the Republicans can use as long as a sizable portion still believes in Trump and would see that as a betrayal. Remember that Republicans are the ones who traditionally show up for midterms. They're motivated even when the presidency isn't on the line.

The challenge for the GOP is to convince people who won't vote for Trump to still get out and vote, all while not pissing off his insane supporters.

Jul 27, 2007

by exmarx

The Glumslinger posted:

Yeah just like I did back when I bear tanked in wow.

Doctor Spaceman
Jul 6, 2010

"Everyone's entitled to their point of view, but that's seriously a weird one."

Lead out in cuffs posted:

I've only watched highlights, but he also didn't seem to be able to keep his facts straight. Like, when pressing Hillary on emails, he said "33,000 deleted emails", "39,000 deleted emails" and "15,000 deleted emails" in the space of a minute. The idea of objective, measurable reality just doesn't seem to register with him. He just makes up numbers as he goes.

I like where he just started throwing out random percentages for how much healthcare has gone up like he was on Numberwang.

Dr. Arbitrary
Mar 15, 2006

Bleak Gremlin
Someone a zillion pages back said G-Spot Dome Scandal

Instant Sunrise
Apr 12, 2007

Josef bugman
Nov 17, 2011

Pictured: Poster prepares to celebrate Holy Communion (probablY)

This avatar made possible by a gift from the Religionthread Posters Relief Fund

Paradoxish posted:

The challenge for the GOP is to convince people who won't vote for Trump to still get out and vote, all while not pissing off his insane supporters.

That is not a needle that can be threaded and you know it.

gently caress this false equivilance.

Instant Sunrise
Apr 12, 2007

that's gonna be the narrative a lot of people take away from the debate tonight.

lozzle
Oct 22, 2012

by zen death robot

Lid posted:

If you think a presidential nominee refusi ng to debate their opponent for the first time in history will be a nothing event i have a bridge to sell you. This is a straw to grasp if you think this is in any way a brilliant move.

Carter refused to attend the first debate against Reagan, resulting in Reagan debating third-party candidate John Anderson. :eng101:

Zwabu posted:

Yeah. And the third debate is I think supposed to be on foreign policy/national security issues(?) that are supposed to be Trump's strong suit, with a Fox News moderator to boot.

In what world is foreign policy Trumps "strong suit?" The man wants to steal Iraq's oil, threaten to withdraw form NATO, and give nuclear weapons to Japan, South Korea and Saudi Arabia.

Jul 27, 2007

by exmarx
Yes foreign policy debate with Johnson.

SomeMathGuy
Oct 4, 2014

The people were ASTONISHED at his doctrine.

Yes foreign policy debate with Johnson.

"Wait, I finally figure out what Aleppo is and now you want to know about Pyongyang? Pick a city and stick with it!"

SpaceDrake
Dec 22, 2006

I can't avoid filling a game with awful memes, even if I want to. It's in my bones...!

isildur posted:

Someone asked why we want kill-shots.

It's because we need to run up the loving score, or this is going to happen again and again, every four years like clockwork. These people are not going to slink away quietly. This is the new normal. The only way to stop it is to completely and totally destroy them politically -- to make the extreme populist fascist right so humiliated that no mainstream political party will let them have even a second of air-time to pollute with their garbage.

Trumpism needs to become a third rail, or we're just leaving this problem for the next election, and the next, and the next.

More to the point: we want a kill-shot because a kill-shot has the best chance of landing now. Trump is a buffoon who possibly may be unconsciously sabotaging his own election, but he's also done a sterling job at revealing just how vulnerable America is, now and at least for the next four years, to capital-F Fascism. If Trump's politics are not completely repudiated - if he fails not just because he's loathsome but because all his ideas represent a destruction of democracy - then in four or perhaps eight years a more clever person might come along, who knows how to use Trump's kind of rhetoric and Fascist goals but is much better at image and politics - he doesn't piss off every single demographic that isn't whites over 30, in particular can manage to win over young folk and women to some degree, and can actually play politics just well enough to get the Republican political machine behind him - then that's it. The ticket is punched. There would be an extreme danger of the Union as a democracy going the way of the Weimar Republic.

It cannot be stressed enough how dangerous men like Trump are to functioning democracies. And the events of the past thirty years or so have made America more vulnerable to such men than at any other point in our history.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Tom Guycot
Oct 15, 2008

Chief of Governors

It does feel nice to know we're living in a world where white dudes don't just de facto get to determine who's president anymore. Coalition, big tent bitches, you had your chance to change, gently caress you and your trump. All of y'all deserve to go down the loving drain with him forever.

• Locked thread