Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

TehRedWheelbarrow
Mar 16, 2011

Fan of Britches

christmas boots posted:

Why even enlist then??

poverty and no future

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

jobson groeth
May 17, 2018

by FactsAreUseless

christmas boots posted:

Why even enlist then??

To get cheated on

QuarkJets
Sep 8, 2008

Baronjutter posted:

One weird trick to avoid name drama: just don't change your name when you get married. It's one less form to fill out. Or actually if you have a ton of degrees and paperwork and are moving countries is a hell of a lot less paperwork.

OTOH having a common last name also has advantages; for instance when you go visit your dying spouse in the hospital you don't have to bring a marriage certificate to prove that you're related, you just flash your driver's license.

TehRedWheelbarrow
Mar 16, 2011

Fan of Britches

jobson groeth posted:

To get cheated on

:hmmyes:

Doc Hawkins
Jun 15, 2010

Dashing? But I'm not even moving!

christmas boots posted:

Why even enlist then??

so they could be cheateFUCK

Smirking_Serpent
Aug 27, 2009

Me [28 M] dating woman [24F] with a colourful past who seems to be reluctant to open up fully about her work etc.

So I have been dating a woman, let’s call her Jane. We met on tinder around two months ago.

Jane (24/F) is an interesting character, left school at 13, ran away from home, became a hostess (currently in Japan, she is native Japanese, also if you don’t know what a hostess is there are tons of articles if you slap it into google) and has pretty extensive tattoos, a rarity for Japan (and no she isn’t Yakuza). She took her sisters passport as you legally aren’t allowed to hostess until you are 18. Her English isn’t great so communication is sometimes difficult, but I do genuinely like her a lot. She even ran a “health girl” business which is pretty much a prostitution business when she was 21. So I feel she has been in the shady underbelly of Japanese society for some time.

The other day we had a discussion about her work and her life. I had some questions about the work she has been involved in, and rather than let it stew I wanted to be upfront about it. So I decided to ask her more about her work, her past etc. Please be aware that I would never ask her to stop doing what she does, whatever it entailed, but it was out of my own curiosity/some insecurities that I wanted to know.

She opened up about running this “health girl business” but assured me she never did it herself, even though oddly, I wouldn’t have cared if she did. We all make money selling ourselves, who am I to judge if someone uses their body. Basically she made more money hostessing so her logic was: why would she bother to sell her body when she can make more money drinking and pretending to find men interesting. Note, the first time we met she said she did office work (she does as well), but didn’t admit to being a hostess. It’s not something that is often admitted to in Japan and I think she is used to feeling ashamed about her work, which is something I never want her to feel when she talks to me.

Getting to the crux of the point, I’m not sure if she is being 100% honest with me, which of course is her right. Yet I feel if I want to keep dating this girl honesty is something I hold in high regard. When she was showing me some old pictures of her, there were some of her semi-naked with her hostess name at the bottom. Note they looked pretty homemade, ie I think maybe it was just her and a friend doing it, but it was reminisce of the more shady massage parlors you see in the red light districts. Should I just leave it? Maybe it’s a part of her life she doesn’t want to really open up about, and what right do I have to know about it, especially as we aren’t “officially” together. As a self-professed feminist I am trying to balance my own curiosity/worries with my opinion that she doesn’t have to tell me jack poo poo. I suppose for me it’s just about the knowing, I hate feeling that I’m being lied to/in the dark.

Should I just stop worrying about it and just take solace in the fact I know she really likes me, maybe even loves me, or try and get her to be open about it? I know she really likes me, for example surprising me for my birthday with a cake, present, probably spending like $500 over the space of a week on meals, drinks etc. Its new territory for me, dating someone with such a colourful past, and who works in what is considered a pretty shady business practice and I’m not quite sure how to tackle it.

TL;DR cool girl, really like her, works as hostess, pretty intense past, do I have any right to know about it?

Thanks

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=q7gzFBnfRfo

QuarkJets
Sep 8, 2008

I'm not yakuza I just like their tattoos and run prostitution parlors for fun :biglips:

wizardofloneliness
Dec 30, 2008

Baronjutter posted:

One weird trick to avoid name drama: just don't change your name when you get married. It's one less form to fill out. Or actually if you have a ton of degrees and paperwork and are moving countries is a hell of a lot less paperwork.

But not changing your name can also cause drama. The real solution is to only marry someone who already has the same last name.

Doc Hawkins
Jun 15, 2010

Smirking_Serpent posted:

Jane (24/F) is an interesting character, left school at 13, ran away from home, became a hostess (currently in Japan, she is native Japanese, also if you don’t know what a hostess is there are tons of articles if you slap it into google) and has pretty extensive tattoos, a rarity for Japan (and no she isn’t Yakuza).

lol

Marry her and leave the country. She'll say yes, that 25th birthday is breathing down her neck and you're her ticket away from a lifetime of poo poo.

EightDeer
Dec 2, 2011

QuarkJets posted:

I'm not yakuza I just like their tattoos and run prostitution parlors for fun :biglips:

AFAIK women aren't allowed to become members of the Yakuza.

MarcusSA
Sep 23, 2007

EightDeer posted:

AFAIK women aren't allowed to become members of the Yakuza.

That’s sexist.

Doc Hawkins
Jun 15, 2010

MarcusSA posted:

That’s sexist.

Yakuza isn't a gender. As their lawyers frequently explain, they are a persecuted ethnosocial minority group.

cumshitter
Sep 27, 2005

by Fluffdaddy
That girl sounds cool and he sounds like a dork he should totally blow up his relationship with the badass Japanese survivor girl.

Play
Apr 25, 2006

Strong stroll for a mangy stray

Doc Hawkins posted:

Yakuza isn't a gender. As their lawyers frequently explain, they are a persecuted ethnosocial minority group.

sounds legit

Splicer
Oct 16, 2006

from hell's heart I cast at thee
🧙🐀🧹🌙🪄🐸
Bust Rodd said I could cross-post this:

Bust Rodd posted:

I may have told this story before in the thread but my High School sweetheart moved to the same city as I did after she graduated and we stayed in touch. 3 years in she started dating one of the adjunct profs, like a 52 year old guy to her 21-22.

Anyways one day she invited me over to check out the “cool loft they were living in while he renovated it” and it was literally just her dad. They looked nearly identical, had the same glasses and beard, spoke in the same cadence, and they were both profs during the day and had lovely night jobs to cover their children’s expenses (his 15 year old son lived with them half the week). I was concerned because the renovations weren’t... going well and while we’re drinking on the roof I was like “so-and-so, as your friend and someone who really cares about you, do you maybe see some similarities between-“
“yes I know, it’s weird, but I love him and he makes me happy.”
“Ok so you feel like safe and secure?”
“Yes, I’m sure he’s not gonna hurt me, and it’s weird having the kid around because he’s only like 6 years younger than me but we all get along.”

Epilogue: a few months later they drive back to our hometown for Thanksgiving so he can meet the family. He steps out of the car, meets her dad, basically shits his pants and gets back in the car, breaking up with her while peeling out.

Not sure why I’m thinking of it now though...

Nissin Cup Nudist posted:

So what was real dad's reaction?

Bust Rodd posted:

Let’s just say dinner was quiet

Doc Hawkins
Jun 15, 2010

Splicer posted:

Bust Rodd said I could cross-post this:

here's hoping his field was literary, it's great writing material at least

Vim Fuego
Jun 1, 2000

Ultra Carp
:barf:

Antivehicular
Dec 30, 2011

I wanna sing one for the cars
That are right now headed silent down the highway
And it's dark and there is nobody driving And something has got to give

I "like" that the dude was 100% okay in that relationship until he was faced with visual evidence he was sleeping with someone young enough to be his daughter

Doc Hawkins
Jun 15, 2010

Antivehicular posted:

I "like" that the dude was 100% okay in that relationship until he was faced with visual evidence he was sleeping with someone young enough to be his daughter

Age is just a number, but he realized he was her doppeldadder.

e: dadderganger?

dudeness
Mar 5, 2010

:minnie: Cat Army :minnie:
Fallen Rib

Doc Hawkins posted:

Age is just a number, but he realized he was her doppeldadder.

e: dadderganger?

Pop-poppleganger.

e: sorry that's for a granpappy, I guess it would just be regular poppleganger.

Play
Apr 25, 2006

poppleganger. i like it. like when ur made at a poppleg

Smirking_Serpent
Aug 27, 2009

AITA for making Gargoyle noises while my overtly loud roommates have sex late into the night after repeatedly asking them to quiet down?

So, I've been having this problem for a while now with my roommate. But basically, his girlfriend makes ridiculously loud moans and screams during sex late into the night on weekdays that keeps me awake.

I've asked him numerous times to just have his gf not do that since it is something he can control and me and my gf are quiet when it's late on a weeknight out of common courtesy.

Well, it didn't stop.

Anyway, since I'm at my wit's end for him not respecting my wishes, I've decided that whenever it happens to make grotesque, gargoyle noises beneath them and scream it out of my window until I kill their mood as a way to put a stop to it.

The noises are kind of, like, SKREEEEEEEOOOOOOOASH! SKREEEEASCCHHHHH! followed by snorts and the like.

So far, it has proven about 50% effective, and he is asking me what I'm doing downstairs. I brush it off like it's no big deal and I really don't know what he's talking about, citing it's probably my other roommates playing video games. His audibly loud gf (amazingly) seems able to stop her moaning and screaming during sex whenever the first floor Gargoyle rears its ugly head.

AITA for making gargoyle noises to ruin my roommate's mood with his gf because he won't respect my wishes to not have audibly loud sex in the middle of the night on weekdays?

Smirking_Serpent
Aug 27, 2009

AITA for not wanting to have anal sex with my boyfriend?

I've been with my boyfriend for 1 year. I'm very 'vanilla' and prudish. My boyfriend is, to be frank, kinky. When we started having sex, he asked if I had anything I would refuse to do during sex. I told him that anal was a huge no go, and thought that was it. I've tried anal once, the guy I was with used a lot of lube, it still hurt and when I told him to stop, he didn't. He knows this.

Now he's started begging me to have anal sex with him. I've told him that it was a firm no, that there's a lot I might be willing to do during sex, but anal is a boundary I don't want to cross.

Now he won't stop bothering me about it. We should try this or that, "it doesn't hurt if you use lube", "pleassee", "I promise it won't hurt" and his favourite, "But you've never tried it with me!' I don't care that I've never tried it with you, I don't enjoy it, have a bad history with it and I've tried compromising with you, but you refuse.

He's called me an rear end in a top hat and asked me why I'm such a prude. I'm seriously considering ending the relationship. So Reddit, who's the rear end in a top hat?

dudeness
Mar 5, 2010

Fallen Rib

Smirking_Serpent posted:

AITA for making Gargoyle noises while my overtly loud roommates have sex late into the night after repeatedly asking them to quiet down?

quote:

The noises are kind of, like, SKREEEEEEEOOOOOOOASH! SKREEEEASCCHHHHH! followed by snorts and the like.

That's not what Keith David sounds like at all!

Play
Apr 25, 2006

Smirking_Serpent posted:

AITA for not wanting to have anal sex with my boyfriend?

I've been with my boyfriend for 1 year. I'm very 'vanilla' and prudish. My boyfriend is, to be frank, kinky. When we started having sex, he asked if I had anything I would refuse to do during sex. I told him that anal was a huge no go, and thought that was it. I've tried anal once, the guy I was with used a lot of lube, it still hurt and when I told him to stop, he didn't. He knows this.

Now he's started begging me to have anal sex with him. I've told him that it was a firm no, that there's a lot I might be willing to do during sex, but anal is a boundary I don't want to cross.

Now he won't stop bothering me about it. We should try this or that, "it doesn't hurt if you use lube", "pleassee", "I promise it won't hurt" and his favourite, "But you've never tried it with me!' I don't care that I've never tried it with you, I don't enjoy it, have a bad history with it and I've tried compromising with you, but you refuse.

He's called me an rear end in a top hat and asked me why I'm such a prude. I'm seriously considering ending the relationship. So Reddit, who's the rear end in a top hat?

The rear end in a top hat is the rear end in a top hat, would've thought that'd be obvious. Oh also your boyfriend's a huge jerk

Smirking_Serpent
Aug 27, 2009

AITA For standing up at a concert while the people behind us keep asking us to sit down?

So this happened last week and I’m still bewildered by it.

We went to the Elton John concert at Madison Square Garden. It was a pretty large concert, and we were able to get seats on the floor. We were in one of the back sections on the floor, which consisted of chairs set up on risers to create a sloped seating arrangement.

We’re sitting in our seats and the show starts. Everyone in front of us stands up and starts jamming with the music, and we join them. After the second song, the people sitting two rows behind us ask us to sit down. We turn around and see they’re an older couple, surrounded by a bunch of younger couples.

I was trying to be respectful of their situation, so during one of Elton’s slower songs, we sit down, and politely ask the people in front of us to sit down as well. Enough rows sit down in front of us so that we can see the stage.

Well, the song eventually ends and he starts playing Tiny Dancer, we stand back up along with all the people in front of us and next to us. The people behind us ask is to sit down, and we refuse. Eventually, the young couple in the row directly behind us, taps me on the back and asks if we could sit down because the people behind them keep asking. At this point, Philadelphia Freedom is on, and I flat out refuse. Everyone in front of us is standing and I want to stand up and jam.

The older couple starts getting really angry and frustrated, now yelling at us to sit down. We ignore them. When the song finishes, Elton starts playing a slower song, so we sit down along with the people in front of us. The older couple, and the people sitting next to them start clapping sarcastically. I turned around and shot them a dirty look.

So, for the rest of the show, we stood up for pretty much every upbeat song. Eventually, the young couple behind us apologized to us, saying they felt pressured by the people behind them.

It’s an Elton John concert. True, it’s not the kind of music that you’d have a pit to dance in and they provided chairs, but when pretty much everybody in the arena is standing up to jam, why shouldn’t we be allowed to?

AITA for standing up at this concert, despite the people behind me asking me to sit down?

Beachcomber
May 21, 2007

Another day in paradise.

Slippery Tilde
Once one person on the airplane reclines, everyone behind them has to also, even if they'd prefer to stay sitting up.

datajugend
Jan 15, 2010

they where able to get seats on the floor but it was on the risers in the back

Tetramin
Apr 1, 2006

I'ma buck you up.

Beachcomber posted:

Once one person on the airplane reclines, everyone behind them has to also, even if they'd prefer to stay sitting up.

Huh are you saying they shouldn’t have been standing during a concert? I’ve never been to a show that has seating where people just sat in their chairs the whole time. Live music is for standing.

E: that probably is not what you are saying

PostNouveau
Sep 3, 2011

VY till I die
Grimey Drawer

Tetramin posted:

Huh are you saying they shouldn’t have been standing during a concert? I’ve never been to a show that has seating where people just sat in their chairs the whole time. Live music is for standing.

You've probably never seen an artist whose heyday was the 70s and whose biggest fans all have one foot in the grave.

DragQueenofAngmar
Dec 29, 2009

You shall not pass!

Tetramin posted:

I think he was saying the reverse, once one person stands up it’s inevitable and so useless to try to get people to sit back down

Papa Emeritus III
Jul 7, 2017

[A MESSAGE FROM THE CLERGY]

Dat's Pussy Trap, bitch!

Deal with it.
I had some fat bitch pull this poo poo while I was at a Queensryche concert. Everyone but her and her friend were standing. When she kept bitching, I turned around and told her to just stand. If I sat down, she still wouldn't see poo poo anyway since everyone in our line of sight was on their feet. I don't know what she did after that since I ignored her.

Haifisch
Nov 13, 2010

Objection! I object! That was... objectionable!

Taco Defender
Me [28/M] with my girlfriend [26/F] of 10 months. Just found out she writes incest-themed fanfiction about real people. Is this a problem and should I tell her I know?

quote:

I'm pretty certain my girlfriend doesn't reddit, but I'm using a throwaway and changing minor details anyway because it's such a specific situation.

On Wednesday my girlfriend left her laptop open when she left the apartment. Even though it's hers, we both use it but log in under different accounts. After she left, I went to use it and saw that she had her email pulled up and I saw a guy's name typed into the search bar with a ton of results. My heart jumped into my throat. It wasn't necessarily the fact that she was searching her email for a guy's name, it's just the sheer number of emails where she mentioned him, and some were recent.

So I wouldn't be making this post if I didn't snoop. I feel really lovely about it because she's an incredibly private person and I know it's hard for her to trust people and usually I feel so good that she trusts me. I should have just logged out of her account and logged into mine, but the dread/curiosity got to me when I saw the guy's name.

I started reading and I feel a little stupid about how long it took me to figure out it was what most people consider fanfiction. She was engaged in really long email threads where she and other women were building onto erotica type fiction back and forth. I don't know much about the guys they talk about, but it finally hit me they were writing about real people when one of them mentioned the last name.

I had no idea my girlfriend even know who these guys are, much less that she was writing fanfictions about them. The more I looked back in these emails, the more astounded I was at the amount of time she must have poured into these conversations. It went back several years and it was all incest-themed.... obsessively so. There were considerably fewer emails after she and I started dating and she even told one of her "friends" about me and the friend expressed happiness for her. But she did still engage in the erotica threads a few times since we met. (I put friend in quotation marks because although her contact with these women goes back for years, she's always used a fake name with them as far as I can tell and they don't talk much about their personal lives except for what I just mentioned where she said she'd be emailing less because she met me and she was crazy about me.)

Let me be clear, I am without a shadow of a doubt certain that this is the woman I'm going to marry. Our sex life is amazing so her little hobby isn't affecting that and I don't feel neglected. I'd be an idiot to throw away what we have because it's very rare and the most fulfulling thing I've ever had in my life. We both know we're going to spend our lives together.

My questions are:

1. Should I be concerned? I know it's all fiction but it's weird writing things about real life people, particularly incest. She seems much more invested in the incest aspect than she is in the actual guys, so it doesn't bother me that she shares fantasies about them. I just feel maybe a little unsettled that she never told me she obsessively thinks about incest this way even in a fictional way. Really, some of these threads were 100+ emails long.

2. Should I tell her I know? This isn't a dealbreaker for me as I mentioned, but I'm worried if I tell her that my invasion of her privacy might be a dealbreaker for her. She values her privacy so much.

Thank you for any advice, I just don't really know how I feel about it yet and I think it's hard to be objective because I love her so much. I'm not going to violate her privacy further by telling anyone we know in real life in order to ask for advice.

tl;dr Really private girlfriend of 10 months who I'm crazy about writes incest fanfiction about famous people. She doesn't know I know because I found out while snooping. Should I talk to her about it?
Reddit's response: This is fine and normal, and also you're an rear end in a top hat for snooping.

Smirking_Serpent
Aug 27, 2009

PostNouveau posted:

You've probably never seen an artist whose heyday was the 70s and whose biggest fans all have one foot in the grave.

one of the top voted comments was a guy who was like "it's a generational thing young feller, I saw the Beatles live and we sat for them too" so I think you're into something.

School Nickname
Apr 23, 2010

*fffffff-fffaaaaaaarrrtt*
:ussr:

Papa Emeritus III posted:

I had some fat bitch pull this poo poo while I was at a Queensryche concert. Everyone but her and her friend were standing. When she kept bitching, I turned around and told her to just stand. If I sat down, she still wouldn't see poo poo anyway since everyone in our line of sight was on their feet. I don't know what she did after that since I ignored her.

Smirking_Serpent posted:

one of the top voted comments was a guy who was like "it's a generational thing young feller, I saw the Beatles live and we sat for them too" so I think you're into something.

I'm going to my first GZA gig in a few weeks in the middle of bumfuck nowhere, where seats don't exist and never have. Glad I won't have to worry about this poo poo. Only my feet.

School Nickname fucked around with this message at 03:36 on Mar 16, 2019

Antivehicular
Dec 30, 2011

I wanna sing one for the cars
That are right now headed silent down the highway
And it's dark and there is nobody driving And something has got to give

Haifisch posted:

Me [28/M] with my girlfriend [26/F] of 10 months. Just found out she writes incest-themed fanfiction about real people. Is this a problem and should I tell her I know?

Reddit's response: This is fine and normal, and also you're an rear end in a top hat for snooping.

I desperately need to know whom this fanfiction is about, both out of morbid curiosity and because it determines whether this poo poo is just creepy or mega-creepy. (Writing incest fanfiction about celebrities is creepy. Writing incest fanfiction about people you know in person is mega-creepy.)

Papa Emeritus III
Jul 7, 2017

[A MESSAGE FROM THE CLERGY]

Dat's Pussy Trap, bitch!

Deal with it.

School Nickname posted:

I'm going to my first GZA gig in a few weeks in the middle of bumfuck nowhere, where seats don't exist and never have. Glad I won't have to worry about this poo poo. Only my feet.

Standing general admission or give me death! Fuckin hate seated venues.

Haifisch posted:

I was expecting this to be some Supernatural RPing incestuous slashfic but close enough. Since I've been desensitized by the internet, I think reddit peeps' "this is normal" is acceptable. Just wait until he sees the sonic porn on DA.

Antivehicular posted:

I desperately need to know whom this fanfiction is about, both out of morbid curiosity and because it determines whether this poo poo is just creepy or mega-creepy. (Writing incest fanfiction about celebrities is creepy. Writing incest fanfiction about people you know in person is mega-creepy.)

:same: Curious about that, too.

M.C. McMic
Nov 8, 2008

The Weight room
Is your friend

Smirking_Serpent posted:

It probably is generational. But once one person stands up, it sets off a chain reaction and that's that; you're standing. (Not you specifically, but you know what I mean.)

I'm not *that* old, but I rarely go to concerts anymore. Not because I mind standing, but because I can't loving stand morons and their cell phones.

I've never had an issue with people standing. They wanna dance or they're just excited. I get it.

I will never understand some dumbfuck who wants to watch a concert on their cell phone because, "hey, someone is TOTALLY gonna want to watch this lovely video of blinding stage lights and indiscernible audio later! I can post it on Instagram and get a a few likes later instead of enjoying the music! Worth it!"

Splicer
Oct 16, 2006

from hell's heart I cast at thee
🧙🐀🧹🌙🪄🐸
See also weddings

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Piell
Sep 3, 2006

Grey Worm's Ken doll-like groin throbbed with the anticipatory pleasure that only a slightly warm and moist piece of lemoncake could offer

Young Orc

Antivehicular posted:

It says it's about famous people in the tldr, so 99% chance it's about the brothers from Supernatural.