Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
What is YISUN?
Mother
A lie we tell ourselves to have a purpose
Bliss
A paradox with no solution
Father
A strong female protagonist
The weakest thing there is and the smallest crawling thing
Creator
Everything in this miserable and hellish existence
A solution with no paradoxes
View Results

M. Propagandalf
Aug 9, 2008

THUNDERDOME LOSER

This needs to be canon.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

DancingShade
Jul 26, 2007

by Fluffdaddy
I'm aching to see the reaction of ganger demon girl to her dagger shattering on Alison's retina.

Bilirubin
Feb 16, 2014

The sanctioned action is to CHUG

DancingShade posted:

I'm aching to see the reaction of ganger demon girl to her dagger shattering on Alison's retina.

Cornea.

:goonsay:

Fish Noise
Jul 25, 2012

IT'S ME, BURROWS!

IT WAS ME ALL ALONG, BURROWS!
Really like the sort of fairy tale repeating structure going on here.

MikeJF
Dec 20, 2003

Someone scratched the hell out of mine once when I was 11, that was fun.

DancingShade
Jul 26, 2007

by Fluffdaddy

Cornea +4, +5 vs piercing attacks.

SardonicTyrant
Feb 26, 2016

BTICH IM A NEWT
熱くなれ夢みた明日を
必ずいつかつかまえる
走り出せ振り向くことなく
&

Tuxedo Ted posted:

I feel like she's gonna go for Sword Law instead
She practices Martial Law.

Bilirubin
Feb 16, 2014

The sanctioned action is to CHUG

MikeJF posted:

Someone scratched the hell out of mine once when I was 11, that was fun.

:same:

Which is why this page cannot update fast enough for me

Rotten Red Rod
Mar 5, 2002

Throw $2 at the Patreon then, you get line art previews for the updates 1-2 days before they go up: https://www.patreon.com/killsixbilliondemons/

I did it just to get the RPG but I'm so invested in this comic it's worth keeping for the previews for me.

Mimesweeper
Mar 11, 2009

Smellrose
and never mind the cool rewards for a second, i think we can all agree this comic is fuckin awesome and deserves financial support

it's not too hard to spare a couple of bucks a month, you just need a lot of people to do it. do it!

Rotten Red Rod
Mar 5, 2002

Yeah when I started spending a significant amount of mental energy each week anticipating the next page I knew it was time to donate.

I re-read the whole thing every few months and also bought the first volume in print (one for myself and one as a Christmas gift for a coworker that I knew would love it). KSBD may be my current favorite webcomic... Scratch that, favorite piece of anything entertainment media-wise at the moment.

Zodiac5000
Jun 19, 2006

Protects the Pack!

Doctor Rope

Rotten Red Rod posted:

It's also a bizarre thing to require for a leader. Just physical strength? How does that qualify you to lead? Yet there it is, that's what he wants, no questioning it.

Well, when the outcome of putting a leader in charge who isn't one of the strongest beings in creation is that your entire empire falls apart to external and internal threats, Strength very rapidly becomes the only thing that matters. Whomever follows SD as king *needs* to be able to play ball at that level already or they won't be able to hold the empire together against the threats arrayed against it. I mean, it won't make the winner a 'good' leader, but qualified? Yeah, being strong pretty much is the first, last, and only metric that matters for this context.

Rotten Red Rod
Mar 5, 2002

He could just give that strength to whoever he wants by relinquishing his key. So I'd say strength should matter LEAST. He just doesn't ever want to give it up.

pseudorandom name
May 6, 2007

He could tell them to run things without him and gently caress off to a monastery somewhere to pursue Royalty and only emerge to deal with external threats.

But he won’t.

Poltergrift
Feb 16, 2014

"When I grow up, I'm gonna be a proper swordsman. One with clothes."

Rotten Red Rod posted:

He could just give that strength to whoever he wants by relinquishing his key. So I'd say strength should matter LEAST. He just doesn't ever want to give it up.

There's other factors involved here; I'm assuming Solomon's knowledge of Ki Rata (say) isn't going to transfer over just because he hands over his Key. Keys are power and fuel, not competence.

Darth Walrus
Feb 13, 2012

Rotten Red Rod posted:

We already know keys are stealable, though. If you can't defend it, you lose it.

Zodiac5000
Jun 19, 2006

Protects the Pack!

Doctor Rope

Rotten Red Rod posted:

He may not want to give it up, you're not wrong. It's also largely irrelevant to the qualifications involved. Just having the key does not make you strong enough. Taking the key and keeping it makes you strong enough. If you aren't actually strong enough to take/keep the key you are *definitely* not strong enough to sit at a table with Jagganoth and somebody made entirely out of worms and a screaming statue and tell them how tough you are, key or not.

pseudorandom name posted:

He could tell them to run things without him and gently caress off to a monastery somewhere to pursue Royalty and only emerge to deal with external threats.

But he won’t.

I mean, doesn't this by definition mean he's still in charge of/responsible for the country, which his stated goal is to get away from? What happens if everybody dies before they reach the monastery? Does SD have to keep tabs on the place from the monastery? It starts just becoming ruling from a different location when you do this.

Rotten Red Rod
Mar 5, 2002

Zodiac5000 posted:

He may not want to give it up, you're not wrong. It's also largely irrelevant to the qualifications involved. Just having the key does not make you strong enough. Taking the key and keeping it makes you strong enough. If you aren't actually strong enough to take/keep the key you are *definitely* not strong enough to sit at a table with Jagganoth and somebody made entirely out of worms and a screaming statue and tell them how tough you are, key or not.

If that's the case the smart thing to do is NOT to wait for some random person of who-knows-what moral character to be able to draw blood from you. You choose a successor, one that is naturally talented + intelligent, you raise and train them well, and you hand over the key. That's clearly what his sons want him to do - but he won't even entertain the idea.

Dr Subterfuge
Aug 31, 2005

TIME TO ROC N' ROLL
On the one hand, he has been disappointed by twenty five generations of his sons, so maybe he tried that. On the other hand, he's too prideful to see anything but disappointment in them, so that still isn't much of an excuse.

Zodiac5000
Jun 19, 2006

Protects the Pack!

Doctor Rope

Rotten Red Rod posted:

If that's the case the smart thing to do is NOT to wait for some random person of who-knows-what moral character to be able to draw blood from you. You choose a successor, one that is naturally talented + intelligent, you raise and train them well, and you hand over the key. That's clearly what his sons want him to do - but he won't even entertain the idea.

Why? I mean it, why is that the thing you do? When you're a god looking for a successor, why should that be the succession plan? If you think the way you acquired power was best, and the way you acquired power definitely didn't involve getting straight A's and politely waiting for the person with power to hand it over to you, why should you naturally be predisposed towards that style of succession? Especially when, by SD's personal metrics, you are the best ruler out of all possible alternatives. As best I can tell, Solomon is being far more lenient in how his successor acquires power compared to how he did it (assuming he did it through massive warfare and violence).

Your way just seems counter intuitive to how everyone in Throne seems to have been taught power works, which is that you keep it until its taken from you.

Joe Slowboat
Nov 9, 2016

Higgledy-Piggledy Whale Statements

All Solomon David needs to be an 'in case of emergency, unleash kung-fu monk' is to still be connected to his giant bureaucratic system enough to deal only with the other demiurges. We know for a fact that he doesn't need to directly administer the worlds and still be able to defend them from the other six, because the other six don't do that either.

Jagganoth, in fact, basically stands between the Demiurges and many unexploited worlds, because he's big and scary and too busy planning to KILL EVERYTHING to go break into their cosmos. Solomon David can do precisely the same without directly tyrannizing 111,111 worlds. He won't, though, because he can't stand to see someone not doing everything exactly the way he would do it.

Rotten Red Rod
Mar 5, 2002

Dr Subterfuge posted:

On the one hand, he has been disappointed by twenty five generations of his sons, so maybe he tried that. On the other hand, he's too prideful to see anything but disappointment in them, so that still isn't much of an excuse.

He CLAIMS he is. He's making an excuse. He set his standards way too high, consciously or not.

Zodiac5000 posted:

Why? I mean it, why is that the thing you do? When you're a god looking for a successor, why should that be the succession plan? If you think the way you acquired power was best, and the way you acquired power definitely didn't involve getting straight A's and politely waiting for the person with power to hand it over to you, why should you naturally be predisposed towards that style of succession? Especially when, by SD's personal metrics, you are the best ruler out of all possible alternatives. As best I can tell, Solomon is being far more lenient in how his successor acquires power compared to how he did it (assuming he did it through massive warfare and violence).

Your way just seems counter intuitive to how everyone in Throne seems to have been taught power works, which is that you keep it until its taken from you.

I'm saying that's an example of what he should do if he's sincere about wanting to have a successor. He's clearly not.

I think it's being foreshadowed pretty hard that he's going to be taken out soon and not having a successor is going to be a... Problem for his worlds.

Joe Slowboat posted:

He won't, though, because he can't stand to see someone not doing everything exactly the way he would do it.

Yeah, this.

Rotten Red Rod fucked around with this message at 21:25 on Oct 30, 2018

Old Kentucky Shark
May 25, 2012

If you think you're gonna get sympathy from the shark, well then, you won't.

And that boss's name was Albert Einstein.

shirts and skins
Jun 25, 2007

Good morning!
https://twitter.com/Orbitaldropkick/status/1057374727537393665?s=19

Dr Subterfuge
Aug 31, 2005

TIME TO ROC N' ROLL
She does not look pleased by that knife. Tbf, I wouldn't be either. Looking forward to seeing what this boss is going to throw at her.

Sniper guy paints an interesting picture. Clearly he was going to snipe the guy, even before we knew for sure he had a bow, but it was so unbelievably far away that to our narrator the very idea of it was absurd, even after he had seen the arrow fly.

Schwarzwald
Jul 27, 2004

Don't Blink

Rotten Red Rod posted:

I'm saying that's an example of what he should do if he's sincere about wanting to have a successor. He's clearly not.

What makes it clear that that isn't what he wants?

Joe Slowboat
Nov 9, 2016

Higgledy-Piggledy Whale Statements

I suspect he honestly wants to abdicate but his perfectionism means he will never actually go for a successor. He's not consciously playing keep-away with his key, he just can't bear to give it up.

Ashcans
Jan 2, 2006

Let's do the space-time warp again!

Loving panel 2 where the thugs go from 'hell yea let's stab some punk' to 'Uh-oh'.

Mr. Lobe
Feb 23, 2007

... Dry bones...

that little nick probably hurts like hell

Poltergrift
Feb 16, 2014

"When I grow up, I'm gonna be a proper swordsman. One with clothes."

Mr. Lobe posted:

I hadn't seen that until you mentioned it, and it honestly makes Allison even scarier.

Like, an invincible body-mediated force field still means something about you is squishy and damage-prone without the force field, but if the knife leaves a mark that tiny, it means that Allison's body is just that hard now.

YggiDee
Sep 12, 2007

WASP CREW
Are those freckles?

Zodiac5000
Jun 19, 2006

Protects the Pack!

Doctor Rope

Joe Slowboat posted:

I suspect he honestly wants to abdicate but his perfectionism means he will never actually go for a successor. He's not consciously playing keep-away with his key, he just can't bear to give it up.

This is how I have taken it. He knows that he is an amazing ruler (I hope we can all take this as assumed?) but he does want to step down, which is fine. He also wants to find a successor that is capable of handling the rigors of the job, which is also fine. The problem comes from the intersection of the two.

"I'm a great leader, and the way I am great are the best things to be great in. My successor must also be a great leader in order to succeed me. Therefore, I will set up a situation where my successor must win against me when I can stack the deck in my favor (martial arts tournament) or they have to sack up and take my key from me like a real ruler."

Now, while there is colossal arrogance involved in that method, I cannot say that it is a bad one in a world where day 1 of the job probably has you show up at a table with a rage elemental, a sentient ball of worms, a screaming statue, and a literal dragon and consider them your peers. I'm not even sure there is a 'good' method of doing what he wants to do? I think there's just... varying degrees of bugfuck crazy ways, and I'd honestly put 'kung-fu tournament for the fate of creation' closer to sane than not all things considered.

Rotten Red Rod
Mar 5, 2002

Schwarzwald posted:

What makes it clear that that isn't what he wants?

Because he would have found a successor long, long ago if he actually wanted that.

Joe Slowboat posted:

Yeah, this.

Mr. Lobe posted:

Yeah, that's gonna leave a floater. Good thing she won't have to worry about that eye forever anyway!

paranoid randroid
Mar 4, 2007
if you stab someone in the eye and they walk it off, that's about the time you should start exploring your avenues for parley

Tuxedo Ted
Apr 24, 2007

I have been enjoying the heck out of all these Manual of Hands and Feet excerpts Abaddon has been giving us. Having so many in a row is a real treat.

The comic is (as always) really good, too. Recently re-read it from page one again. So many more little details I never noticed appear with each subsequent read.

Beepity Boop
Nov 21, 2012

yay

That second panel:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1wiz0UsBPac

Edit: VVVVV But motivating!

Beepity Boop fucked around with this message at 02:49 on Oct 31, 2018

Synthbuttrange
May 6, 2007

So she's invulnerable but still feels the pain of the attack. Annoying!

incredible flesh
Oct 6, 2018

by Nyc_Tattoo
i love this intense rear end comic

DancingShade
Jul 26, 2007

by Fluffdaddy
I quite enjoyed (almost) everyone backing up into the same corner all of a sudden.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mimesweeper
Mar 11, 2009

Smellrose

DancingShade posted:

I quite enjoyed (almost) everyone backing up into the same corner all of a sudden.

yeah, that panel is great. you'd think they would have run after that first punch, looks like they're starting to understand the situation a little better

so hype for the rest of this chapter :allears: it would be a sad day when this comic is finally finished except then we can all go read it six billion times