Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Lightning Lord
Feb 21, 2013

$200 a day, plus expenses

Thoughts on my idea for a modern take: Frank Castle as PMC employee who tries to whistleblow on a Blackwater stand in commiting atrocities who then hire mob hitmen in response?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

CAPT. Rainbowbeard
Apr 5, 2012

My incredible goodposting transcends time and space but still it cannot transform the xbone into a good console.
Lipstick Apathy

Lightning Lord posted:

Thoughts on my idea for a modern take: Frank Castle as PMC employee who tries to whistleblow on a Blackwater stand in commiting atrocities who then hire mob hitmen in response?

Why hire the mob when you have a perfectly good PMC right there?

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

Neither snow nor rain nor heat nor gloom of night stays these couriers from the swift completion of their appointed shitposting.

CAPT. Rainbowbeard posted:

I bet there's a decent cross section of people who work for both.

site
Apr 6, 2007

Trans pride, Worldwide
Bitch

Skwirl posted:

I bet there's a decent cross section of people who work for both.

PMCs are essentially legalized militarized mobs as it is

Mr Hootington
Jul 24, 2008

I'M HAVING A HOOT EATING CORNETTE THE LONG WAY
Just update the punisher to some piece of poo poo middle age fat rear end white suburbanite who fantasizes at his dead end middle management job about gunning down "thugs and "ms-13" but as he goes deeper down the right wing white supremecist hellhole he loses his family, friends, and job because he is a useless fat loving Nazi and when he snaps and buys a gun to take out those who he perceives as destroying his life he just shoots his erected dick off while driving around in his coal roller gently caress you truck and bleeds to death.

Zoro
Aug 30, 2017

by Smythe

Mr Hootington posted:

Just update the punisher to some piece of poo poo middle age fat rear end white suburbanite who fantasizes at his dead end middle management job about gunning down "thugs and "ms-13" but as he goes deeper down the right wing white supremecist hellhole he loses his family, friends, and job because he is a useless fat loving Nazi and when he snaps and buys a gun to take out those who he perceives as destroying his life he just shoots his erected dick off while driving around in his coal roller gently caress you truck and bleeds to death.

What if The Punisher was a Trump Supporter?

Do they still make what if books?

Roth
Jul 9, 2016

Zoro posted:

No, but I'm sure they'll relaunch it eventually.

Optimistic choice: Written by Al Ewing
Realistic choice: Cullen Bunn

Mr Hootington
Jul 24, 2008

I'M HAVING A HOOT EATING CORNETTE THE LONG WAY

Zoro posted:

Secret Empire was already published.

X-O
Apr 28, 2002

Long Live The King!

Roth posted:

No, but I'm sure they'll relaunch it eventually.

Optimistic choice: Written by Al Ewing
Realistic choice: Cullen Bunn

If they ever do it shouldn't have the same writer. Every issue should be by someone else.

Roth
Jul 9, 2016

Also, I read Abnett's Nova tofay, and while I liked it more than his Guardians of the Galaxy run, I still feel kinda underwhelmed by it like I was with Guardians.

I think the main thing was the rrally frequent tie-ins to event comics. There was, like, a single issue between War of Kings and Realm of Kings.

Zoro
Aug 30, 2017

by Smythe

X-O posted:

If they ever do it shouldn't have the same writer. Every issue should be by someone else.

That would be pretty grand, yeah.

Besides, we can have a lot of fun with it.

"What if Iron Man accepted Predictive Justice?" could lead to a fun sci-fi future rip-off of Minority Report where Superheroes oppressively arrest people and detain them on crimes they only thought of comiting.

"What if Green Goblin swapped minds with Peter Parker instead of Doc Ock?" would be an interesting story. He defintely wouldn't do a faux-hero thing and would likely try some messed up poo poo.

But, then again, Marvel's problem is they launch too many books without giving their new books time to breathe and find an audience first so they should definitely wait on this.

hope and vaseline
Feb 13, 2001

Roth posted:

Also, I read Abnett's Nova tofay, and while I liked it more than his Guardians of the Galaxy run, I still feel kinda underwhelmed by it like I was with Guardians.

I think the main thing was the rrally frequent tie-ins to event comics. There was, like, a single issue between War of Kings and Realm of Kings.

I'm going through their overall cosmic run for the first time as well, I'm up to War of Kings (which by the way is quite a clusterfuck to navigate as opposed to the first 2 annihilation events), and while I generally like their writing, it hasn't wowed me like Giffen's Annihilation did. There's almost a... lack of imagination to the way they write dialogue and plot, like they're just constantly setting up big stuff to knock them down without much subtlety. And god does the Darkhawk stuff really, really drag.

X-O
Apr 28, 2002

Long Live The King!

hope and vaseline posted:

I'm going through their overall cosmic run for the first time as well, I'm up to War of Kings (which by the way is quite a clusterfuck to navigate as opposed to the first 2 annihilation events), and while I generally like their writing, it hasn't wowed me like Giffen's Annihilation did. There's almost a... lack of imagination to the way they write dialogue and plot, like they're just constantly setting up big stuff to knock them down without much subtlety. And god does the Darkhawk stuff really, really drag.

Abnett and Lanning get all the credit for that era of Marvel Cosmic stuff, but Giffen's contributions are way better.

David D. Davidson
Nov 17, 2012

Orca lady?
I've probably posted this before but I would have loved it if they had casted a black man to play The Punisher in Daredevil season 2. The backlash from racists would have been amazing.

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

Neither snow nor rain nor heat nor gloom of night stays these couriers from the swift completion of their appointed shitposting.

Zoro posted:

There's no way Punisher votes, and the only part of illegal immigration he probably cares about is the organized crime syndicates that profit off it, so if he could be bothered to have an opinion on it, it'd probably be in favor of more open borders.

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

David D. Davidson posted:

I've probably posted this before but I would have loved it if they had casted a black man to play The Punisher in Daredevil season 2. The backlash from racists would have been amazing.

There's no way he'd have survived police custody if it was a black man.

Lightning Lord
Feb 21, 2013

$200 a day, plus expenses

CAPT. Rainbowbeard posted:

I figure the mafia should always be involved with the Punisher's origin.

net cafe scandal
Mar 18, 2011

Jeez, you guys sure have your knives out for The Punisher.

Cabbit
Jul 19, 2001

Is that everything you have?

net cafe scandal posted:

Jeez, you guys sure have your knives out for The Punisher.

This isn't really the best climate for "Extra-Judicial Killing Man" as a concept, nor has it aged particularly well. The Netflix depiction worked because Frank was less a power/revenge fantasy and more a tragic shell of a man.

Zoro
Aug 30, 2017

by Smythe

Skwirl posted:

There's no way Punisher votes, and the only part of illegal immigration he probably cares about is the organized crime syndicates that profit off it, so if he could be bothered to have an opinion on it, it'd probably be in favor of more open borders.

That was just a joke based on his description of the character and the fact that Marvel used to have a series of comics where they would reimagine events in a character's life that was sold under the banner of "What if."

Nodosaur
Dec 23, 2014

That's what the Punisher typically is in everything else.

If he's a power fantasy he's being written badly.

Roth
Jul 9, 2016

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8XoRGgpF2qc

This is the best Punisher content

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!
I've discovered that Punisher fans really don't like being told that they shouldn't identify with a mass murdering vigilante.

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

Rhyno posted:

I've discovered that Punisher fans really don't like being told that they shouldn't identify with a mass murdering vigilante.

I like a lot of Punisher books, but he probably should have stayed a villain. Tons of people love Darth Vader, very few think Alderan deserved it.

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

Skwirl posted:

I like a lot of Punisher books, but he probably should have stayed a villain. Tons of people love Darth Vader, very few think Alderan deserved it.

Did you not hear what Alderan said about your mother?

Gaunab
Feb 13, 2012
LUFTHANSA YOU FUCKING DICKWEASEL
If Black Cat can become a villain then the Punisher should have no problem making that transition.

OhFunny
Jun 26, 2013

EXTREMELY PISSED AT THE DNC

This is the best version of the Punisher.

Zoro
Aug 30, 2017

by Smythe

Skwirl posted:

Sir, I believe you will find that Alderaan was harboring terrorists and, therefore, the empire was obliged to bring law to that lawless land in the name of Law & Order. Where would we be as an Empire if the Empire's valiant Navy did not act in such a dire situation?

/joke

Open Marriage Night
Sep 18, 2009

"Do you want to talk to a spider, Peter?"

Alderaan was obviously full of space liberals. They probably thought Wookies had more than five genders.

Codependent Poster
Oct 20, 2003

Punisher isn't a villain. He's a broken guy who still wants to protect those who can't protect themselves, but goes about it in a violent way that probably doesn't solve much. Because he's ill and doesn't want to stop what he's doing.

That's why I like when he goes against Daredevil and Spidey. They are defined by tragedy and see Frank as what they could be if they cross the line, and understand that he needs help.

Nobby
Sep 10, 2006

Everyone cries when they're stabbed. There's no shame in that.
It'd be nice if the people Frank mows down got the same understanding.

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

Codependent Poster posted:

Punisher isn't a villain. He's a broken guy who still wants to protect those who can't protect themselves, but goes about it in a violent way that probably doesn't solve much. Because he's ill and doesn't want to stop what he's doing.

That's why I like when he goes against Daredevil and Spidey. They are defined by tragedy and see Frank as what they could be if they cross the line, and understand that he needs help.

Villain wasn't the right word, but yeah, he's best when Daredevil and Spider-Man are dealing with him.

Rick
Feb 23, 2004
When I was 17, my father was so stupid, I didn't want to be seen with him in public. When I was 24, I was amazed at how much the old man had learned in just 7 years.

Lightning Lord posted:

This is probably as close as I'll get to Solid Snake getting into the Marvel Universe so sure.

The problem with Punisher is that now I have a hard time separating him from the Comedian, they've completely merged in my head.

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

Rick posted:

The problem with Punisher is that now I have a hard time separating him from the Comedian, they've completely merged in my head.

Into what?

Rick
Feb 23, 2004
When I was 17, my father was so stupid, I didn't want to be seen with him in public. When I was 24, I was amazed at how much the old man had learned in just 7 years.
Like I just am surprised that Punisher isn't racist as heck.

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

Rick posted:

Like I just am surprised that Punisher isn't racist as heck.

There's some racist Punisher comics out there, but unlike cops he needs some information that someone's committed a crime before he shoots them.

Blockhouse
Sep 7, 2014

You Win!

TFRazorsaw posted:

That's what the Punisher typically is in everything else.

If he's a power fantasy he's being written badly.

Or it's the 90's and he's being written as an action movie character

TwoPair
Mar 28, 2010

Pandamn It Feels Good To Be A Gangsta
Grimey Drawer

No, the best Punisher content is that 5 second clip from Punisher War Zone where he hits the guy doing parkour with a rocket launcher in midair.

KaosMachina
Oct 9, 2012

There's nothing special about me.

TwoPair posted:

No, the best Punisher content is that 5 second clip from Punisher War Zone where he hits the guy doing parkour with a rocket launcher in midair.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=P35eZvHwDs8

You're not wrong.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Pierson
Oct 31, 2004

College Slice
How Did This Get Made had a great episode where they talk about Punisher Warzone and they got Patton Oswalt and Lexi Alexander (the director) as guests, that probably counts as Punisher content.

http://www.earwolf.com/episode/punisher-war-zone/

• Locked thread