Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Truther Vandross
Jun 17, 2008

New Japan is also more accessible to the North American market than it has ever been so it's not too out of place to discuss the product in depth.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Gonzo McFee
Jun 19, 2010
Plus it's really, really good.

NotQuiteQuentin
Jan 29, 2005

BIG OVER
College Slice
It's the number two promotion in the world. I would frankly be really disappointed if a website that for all intensive purposes is the trade magazine devoted the field didn't cover it the way they did/do.

rovert
Jun 10, 2013

Thauros posted:

Again, we don't know the exact details and this just happened, but maybe more like WWECW in that it will serve both as a source of new guys to bring in to NJPW and a place where old guys can do more than lower midcard multimans.

Also post-2006 NOAH footage will end up on NJPW World.

NienNunb
Feb 15, 2012

NJPW is great and WWE is poopy, if anything Dave doesn't talk enough about the former.

An Actual Bear
Feb 15, 2012

NotQuiteQuentin posted:

for all intensive purposes

This triggered me.

NutritiousSnack
Jul 12, 2011

Daniel Bryan posted:

10,000 and it's a success.

I'm glad I bought it, though I wondering if their will be a replay since me and my friends missed the first half hour

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

Would you be my new best friends?

Oh my God Dave's sudden tangent on "crazy" women :xd:

Bryan being the one doing damage-control there was hilarious.

UltimoDragonQuest
Oct 5, 2011

Don't sleep on the Observor recaps in Todd shows. 12/26 is great.
Dave reprinted a story of Skip Bayless attending a WCCW show where "the crowd generally is family-oriented, though some might have passed for Manson family" and full of "Camels, Coors, corn dogs and enough hair oil to drown an Arab."

Newspapers reported the Wrestlemania 1 main event would have special guest referee OJ Simpson.

And a gem from Dave, "[Wrestlemania 1] is the greatest hype job not only ever seen in wrestling but in almost anything anything I can think of since World War 2."

ch3cooh
Jun 26, 2006

UltimoDragonQuest posted:

Dave reprinted a story of Skip Bayless attending a WCCW show where "the crowd generally is family-oriented, though some might have passed for Manson family" and full of "Camels, Coors, corn dogs and enough hair oil to drown an Arab."

Newspapers reported the Wrestlemania 1 main event would have special guest referee OJ Simpson.

And a gem from Dave, "[Wrestlemania 1] is the greatest hype job not only ever seen in wrestling but in almost anything anything I can think of since World War 2."

I think Dave was referring to the time period between WW2 and when he wrote that but it's entertaining to think of as the biggest hype job since the hype job for world war 2

UltimoDragonQuest
Oct 5, 2011

Goebbels was a great promoter. I'm not saying I agree with it, Bryan!

algebra testes
Mar 5, 2011

Lipstick Apathy

Goebbels was a great promoter. I'm not saying I agree with it, Bryan!

There have been three head bookers that killed a territory the fastest in history:

Vince Russo
Dusty
and Adolf Hitler

Cardboard Box
Jul 14, 2009

i learned so much about marcus welby, md on today's observer radio

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

Cardboard Box posted:

i learned so much about marcus welby, md on today's observer radio

"It's on DVD if you want to buy it."
"Why would I want to buy it? Do you want me to review it?"
"Yes!"

MassRafTer
May 26, 2001

BAEST MODE!!!

Jerusalem posted:

"It's on DVD if you want to buy it."
"Why would I want to buy it? Do you want me to review it?"
"Yes!"

I guess we can look forward to Vinny's review.

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

I forgot that JR outright said a week or two back that he was going to wait till a week after Wrestle Kingdom before discussing the show, in order to be able to cast a more detached look back over his experience.

He opens the interview with the softest of softballs to Dixie by asking her what times/days Impact will be airing on Destination America and she didn't know, so I hope like hell that the interview was recorded back when they were still in negotiations and that decision hadn't been made yet (to be honest I don't even know if it has been decided yet).

Interview so far (about 50 minutes in) has been extremely polite and complimentary, which shouldn't really surprise me at all.

rovert
Jun 10, 2013
In relation to your first two paragraphs Jim Ross does tape a week or two in advance.

EDIT:Just listened the JR Dixie Carter interview was absolutely nothing and was clearly taped WEEKS ago. The standard massively hyped Ross interview that doesn't live up to it at all.

rovert fucked around with this message at 06:36 on Jan 7, 2015

rovert
Jun 10, 2013
Taz is podcast is pretty good follows the Podcast One formula but without the ads. His thoughts his debut at Royal Rumble and the fallout backstage is the highlight. Edge's interview is every Edge interview ever largely. Taz reviews WrestleKingdom at the start of the podcast.

Germ Incubator
Nov 4, 2009

*Cowboy Shit*

Was it this also the one where they said instead of Liberace the first rumour was that Dan Aykroyd was going to be special guest timekeeper?? What a random switch, the whole thing was killing me in my aisle at work when I listened.

algebra testes
Mar 5, 2011

Lipstick Apathy
(Week 1) "Oh, then the show got a lot less fun. Out came Chris Benoit. He looked like a pyscho"

(This week) "CHRIS BENOIT WAS AN AMAZING PRO WRESTLER"

GoutPatrol
Oct 17, 2009

*Stupid Babby*

LordPants posted:

(Week 1) "Oh, then the show got a lot less fun. Out came Chris Benoit. He looked like a pyscho"

(This week) "CHRIS BENOIT WAS AN AMAZING PRO WRESTLER"

I mean, he was.

algebra testes
Mar 5, 2011

Lipstick Apathy
No I agree, I was just commenting on how his raw talent wore down Vinny's "ugh, do I have to watch Benoit" attitude.

rare Magic card l00k
Jan 3, 2011

LordPants posted:

No I agree, I was just commenting on how his raw talent wore down Vinny's "ugh, do I have to watch Benoit" attitude.

To be fair, Raw has probably helped with that.

flashy_mcflash
Feb 7, 2011

Jerusalem posted:

I forgot that JR outright said a week or two back that he was going to wait till a week after Wrestle Kingdom before discussing the show, in order to be able to cast a more detached look back over his experience.

He opens the interview with the softest of softballs to Dixie by asking her what times/days Impact will be airing on Destination America and she didn't know, so I hope like hell that the interview was recorded back when they were still in negotiations and that decision hadn't been made yet (to be honest I don't even know if it has been decided yet).

Interview so far (about 50 minutes in) has been extremely polite and complimentary, which shouldn't really surprise me at all.

It's a lot of softballs for sure. The only thing that really came through for me (between the lines) is that they have no plan to air in Canada at all, which should come at no one's surprise. When the promoter is telling you to call your cable company and demand TNA programming (lol) they're flailing.

The interview proper starts at 24:40 if anyone is interested in this, which they probably shouldn't be.

e: 57 minutes in and I'm done. This is a fluff piece.

flashy_mcflash fucked around with this message at 14:50 on Jan 7, 2015

El Gallinero Gros
Mar 17, 2010
In fairness to JR, I don't think you'd have a hope of having much of an interview with Dixie if you went after her. Furthermore, TNA's fans are rabidly defensive of her (despite the fact that she likely gives zero fucks about them), and JR would probably rather not deal with that.

flashy_mcflash
Feb 7, 2011

I like that JR seemingly can't distinguish between the Young Bucks and, presumably, the Wolves (I don't know which team he was referring to on those last NYC tapings if not the Wolves).

PaybackJack
May 21, 2003

You'll hit your head and say: 'Boy, how stupid could I have been. A moron could've figured this out. I must be a real dimwit. A pathetic nimnal. A wretched idiotic excuse for a human being for not having figured these simple puzzles out in the first place...As usual, you've been a real pantload!
You can't be surprised when people softball Dixie because as evidenced by the YouShoot with her, even when pressed she's going to give bullshit non-answers. You might as well just not make it a hostile interview and let her plug her stuff.

flashy_mcflash
Feb 7, 2011

actually, there are some nice (though probably unintentional) backhanded comments on JR's part in this interview. I loved that he says the only thing he watches on Destination America is some BBQ show.

coconono
Aug 11, 2004

KISS ME KRIS

rovert posted:

Also post-2006 NOAH footage will end up on NJPW World.

wait, what?

NotQuiteQuentin
Jan 29, 2005

BIG OVER
College Slice

coconono posted:

wait, what?

yeah did NJPW make a deal with NTV? Because Japanese rights go with the TV station rather than the promotion. That's why NJPW had to do NJPW World in tandem with TV Asahi.

Mob
May 7, 2002

Me reading your posts

flashy_mcflash posted:

actually, there are some nice (though probably unintentional) backhanded comments on JR's part in this interview. I loved that he says the only thing he watches on Destination America is some BBQ show.

When I said if Impact fucks with my BBQ Pitmasters show I was gonna burn down the internet I sure as poo poo meant it

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

Hogan's interview with Jericho is fascinating - he tells a lot of great stories and even though I know to take it all with a grain of salt, it is easy to forget how charming and charismatic he can be. He makes some neat jokes at his own expense, I particularly liked how he complains about Letterman never booking him as set-up for the punchline that it is all completely his own fault.

I wanted more Andre stories though :mad:

DrVenkman
Dec 28, 2005

I think he can hear you, Ray.

Jerusalem posted:

Hogan's interview with Jericho is fascinating - he tells a lot of great stories and even though I know to take it all with a grain of salt, it is easy to forget how charming and charismatic he can be. He makes some neat jokes at his own expense, I particularly liked how he complains about Letterman never booking him as set-up for the punchline that it is all completely his own fault.

I wanted more Andre stories though :mad:

Yeah I think that I was expecting the worst. And it's not. It's weird because Jericho has namechecked Hogan before as someone who has held down talent. But honestly, seeing as everyone gets approved to appear by the WWE I wouldn't be surprised if there were some things that he's just not allowed to ask. I think you can generally tell when Hogan is bullshitting because it's often something outlandish, but there's nothing too bad in that interview.

triplexpac
Mar 24, 2007

Suck it
Two tears in a bucket
And then another thing
I'm not the one they'll try their luck with
Hit hard like brass knuckles
See your face through the turnbuckle dude
I got no love for you
I'm listening to Jericho's interview with Ambrose that he did a while back. Ambrose is a really cool dude, it's a shame they don't really want to do anything with him.

Edit: it's hilarious hearing Dean talk about how WWE had zero plan for them when they called up The Shield. I thought they were consciously protected from day one on purpose

triplexpac fucked around with this message at 00:15 on Jan 8, 2015

algebra testes
Mar 5, 2011

Lipstick Apathy

quote:

Cormier’s listed pay was $140,000, but he got a lesser PPV cut, but still should be in the seven figures, which, for him, if there is any solace, is life changing money.

:unsmith:

TomWaitsForNoMan
May 28, 2003

By Any Means Necessary

triplexpac posted:

I'm listening to Jericho's interview with Ambrose that he did a while back. Ambrose is a really cool dude, it's a shame they don't really want to do anything with him.

Edit: it's hilarious hearing Dean talk about how WWE had zero plan for them when they called up The Shield. I thought they were consciously protected from day one on purpose

I held up the Shield and Roman's buildup as the next big star as evidence that when push came to shove WWE creative still knew how to book guys strong and get them over. Knowing that they would have hosed up the Shield immediately had the three of them not politicked like gently caress, and seeing how Roman's been written and booked since he came back, I no longer have that last sliver of confidence. They (and by they I mean Vince) have completely forgotten how wrestling works on the most fundamental level.

flashy_mcflash
Feb 7, 2011

triplexpac posted:

That interview was really sad for me, above all else. I'd somehow maintained the view that for all
their uncreative lovely booking, they at least got the Shield right. Turns out they were actively sabotaging them at every turn and the stable would have died in months if the Shield guys hadn't put the kibosh on their breakups.

Luigi Thirty
Apr 30, 2006

Emergency confection port.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=f6g5OdO8vVU

:stare:

algebra testes
Mar 5, 2011

Lipstick Apathy

God this produced one of the best songs.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

dsriggs
May 28, 2012

MONEY FALLS...

...FROM THE SKY...

...WHENEVER HE POSTS!

Wrestling bubble.

• Locked thread