Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
MacheteZombie
Feb 4, 2007
Probation
Can't post for 5 hours!

Vintersorg posted:

Really attractive?

her Bad tattoo :3:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Electromax
May 6, 2007
MJ was really attractive too for a long time. Luckily plastic surgeries don't alter the genes.

Shageletic
Jul 25, 2007

Kinda lame that you have a movie set on an Indian reservation starring white people though.

BeanpolePeckerwood
May 4, 2004

I MAY LOOK LIKE SHIT BUT IM ALSO DUMB AS FUCK

kiimo posted:

It's been like, two months since 13 Reasons Why came out but yeah since then Netflix has totally nosedived in content value at least until their next groundbreaking movie or TV show comes out (which will be in two days when War Machine comes out).

But I mean they don't release enough original content, just all of this.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_original_programs_distributed_by_Netflix

Yeah, that's enough. It's a monumental, nearly endless list of chaff, inane comic book programming, and newly revived middlebrow content cherrypicked from the last three decades.

It boggles the mind that people would make a 'quality' argument for Netflix, being that the service epitomizes a quantity over quality position. It's original programming scrapes the bottom of the nostalgia barrel, and does so with the aid of aggregate user streaming data (which is its own loving problem). It is one of the least novel, most derivative platforms in existence. If you're a quantity-type personality then by all means spend how you want, I'm not about to impede your ritual. But let's not pretend this channel is spearheading a content revolution because they finance a good indie flick now and then. Netflix thrives on lazy judgement.

Netflix - $144 /year

HBO - $180 /year

Filmstruck - $100 /year

Of these three options Netflix is the worst deal.

Definitely looks like its trying for a Villanueve feel.

LesterGroans
Jun 9, 2009

It's funny...

You were so scary at night.

The trailer's kinda by-the-numbers but Sicario and Hell or High Water were great so I"m definitely gonna watch this.

kiimo
Jul 24, 2003

BeanpolePeckerwood posted:

Yeah, that's enough. It's a monumental, nearly endless list of chaff, inane comic book programming, and newly revived middlebrow content cherrypicked from the last three decades.

It boggles the mind that people would make a 'quality' argument for Netflix, being that the service epitomizes a quantity over quality position. It's original programming scrapes the bottom of the nostalgia barrel, and does so with the aid of aggregate user streaming data (which is its own loving problem). It is one of the least novel, most derivative platforms in existence. If you're a quantity-type personality then by all means spend how you want, I'm not about to impede your ritual. But let's not pretend this channel is spearheading a content revolution because they finance a good indie flick now and then. Netflix thrives on lazy judgement.

Netflix - $144 /year

HBO - $180 /year

Filmstruck - $100 /year

Of these three options Netflix is the worst deal.

Definitely looks like its trying for a Villanueve feel.

Netflix has money to burn why should I care about the 80% of output I don't like when their output I do like is only outperformed by HBO? They most certainly are spearheading a content revolution just for the sheer fact that they are producing well-funded feature films and distributing them with their own channel around the world.

In case you hate them so much you should understand that they are also hiring like crazy and picking up talented people from studios all over town. It's still a clusterfuck over there but get used to them, I expect their quality to continue to improve. This is the weirdest argument.

Uncle Boogeyman
Jul 22, 2007

kiimo posted:

Netflix has money to burn why should I care about the 80% of output I don't like when their output I do like is only outperformed by HBO?

Honestly, HBO kinda sucks now too.

SimonCat
Aug 12, 2016

by Nyc_Tattoo
College Slice

Reminds me of Vampire Hunter D: Bloodlust

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LlL4AkStIcY

edogawa rando
Mar 20, 2007

Good lord, shut the gently caress up about streaming services.

Taintrunner
Apr 10, 2017

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Jesus. Hairs on my neck were standing straight up by the end. Hell or High Water is definitely the best film of last year, so this is a must watch for me.

joe football
Dec 22, 2012

I would like it if the movie is actually about the rural locals clumsily impeding the investigation while they spout nonsense about how different things are out here the whole time

DC Murderverse
Nov 10, 2016

"Tell that to Zod's snapped neck!"

Uncle Boogeyman posted:

Honestly, HBO kinda sucks now too.

A couple months ago I did some research (by which I mean I looked at the schedules of all of the pay cable packages in a 2 week period), and of all of them, Cinemax actually had the best variety of movies, original content notwithstanding (because the original content on Cinemax, Starz and Showtime is pretty garbo, aside from one series each on the latter two). HBO obviously laps the other channels in terms of original content, but the three big ones are all about which recently released movies they can get, and have a collection of filler that can be replayed over a few months. Cinemax has more channels and movies, and if you have a DVR (which you really should if you have cable/satellite at this point), the schedule doesn't mean a thing.

WeedlordGoku69
Feb 12, 2015

by Cyrano4747

DC Murderverse posted:

(because the original content on Cinemax, Starz and Showtime is pretty garbo, aside from one series each on the latter two).

Cinemax has actually been doing alright lately. The first three seasons of Banshee loving rule (though, fair warning, the final season is the drizzling shits- good lord that show went out on a bad note), and The Knick and Quarry are both totally worth your time.

Deakul
Apr 2, 2012

PAM PA RAM

PAM PAM PARAAAAM!

Nah, Banshee ended really well... also don't forget Strike Back!

Starz has pretty much nothing but good TV too: Black Sails, Spartacus, Outlander, Ash vs The Evil Dead, American Gods, Da Vinci's Demons, Pillars of the Earth, Party Down, and I'm probably forgetting some others.

RedSpider
May 12, 2017

Holy poo poo. I'm there on opening day.

cvnvcnv
Mar 17, 2013

Deakul posted:

Nah, Banshee ended really well...

It gets ragged on for not having the budget to be action-packed but in in terms of character, yeah, it ruled. The Proctor/Burton conclusion was pure gold. And I can't imagine anything but chagrin to this but their Skinemax comedy program THE GIRL'S GUIDE TO DEPRAVITY was really funny.

Nroo
Dec 31, 2007

morestuff posted:

Their weird face bones feel like a good match for the movie's overall vibe

Just realized DeHaan's rockin a sick Kris Kelvin cosplay.

got any sevens
Feb 9, 2013

by Cyrano4747

SimonCat posted:

Reminds me of Vampire Hunter D: Bloodlust

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LlL4AkStIcY

Man I used to own that dvd 15 years ago but barely remember anything from that trailer. Also that's a horrible trailer, so much narration.

Not a movie, but this looked somewhat amusing
https://youtu.be/rkfboVqpaxY

WeedlordGoku69
Feb 12, 2015

by Cyrano4747

Deakul posted:

Nah, Banshee ended really well

cvnvcnv posted:

It gets ragged on for not having the budget to be action-packed but in in terms of character, yeah, it ruled. The Proctor/Burton conclusion was pure gold.

This is literally the first time I have ever seen people praise Banshee S4. Ever.

Like, it's not just the action sequences, the time-skip was basically the worst idea of all time and the serial killer plot was probably the second worst. The whole thing with Hood and Proctor was resolved through an outside-context villain getting dropped in, in spite of the entire series up to that point building up to them slugging it out to the death (Hood vs. Burton was supposed to make up for this, I guess, but again, gently caress the entire serial killer plot). Deva just got shuffled away like her brother, despite being one of the most interesting characters unlike her brother, and I don't even know what the gently caress they were going for with Ana/Carrie in S4 (seriously where the hell did her being Daredevil come from).

Mat Cauthon
Jan 2, 2006

The more tragic things get,
the more I feel like laughing.

Vintersorg posted:

Really attractive?

If you believe that those kids are in any way biologically related to MJ then I have a bridge and some prime real estate to sell you.

The MSJ
May 17, 2010

I just saw this trailer (the one above is gone so here's a new link: https://youtu.be/C617-CS4Vsg):

1) A lot of people seems confused by the setting of Discovery. It's before the OS in the pre-Abrams continuity, but many seems to think it's an extension of the recent movies because of how it looks. The presence of a Star-Wars-style hologram does not help.

2) This one is a bit funny. Some people finds Michelle Yeoh's accent weird, but it's actually her natural Chinese-Malaysian accent (or close to it). Of course, Malaysians and Singaporeans love this.

Another Netflix movie. A comedy thriller starring Rainn Wilson, about a cop trying to catch a group of bank robbers that includes his brother, told in reverse time.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sm_hwxNTAa0

WeedlordGoku69
Feb 12, 2015

by Cyrano4747

Rap Record Hoarder posted:

If you believe that those kids are in any way biologically related to MJ then I have a bridge and some prime real estate to sell you.

oh wow a Michael Jackson truther

who's her real daddy, the Lizard Emperor?

zandert33
Sep 20, 2002

Netflix is releasing Welles' "The Other Side of the Wind", so screw the haters.

(unless Peter Bogdanovich ends up dying, and they get a random hack to complete the film).

cvnvcnv
Mar 17, 2013

LORD OF BOOTY posted:

This is literally the first time I have ever seen people praise Banshee S4. Ever.

Like, it's not just the action sequences, the time-skip was basically the worst idea of all time and the serial killer plot was probably the second worst. The whole thing with Hood and Proctor was resolved through an outside-context villain getting dropped in, in spite of the entire series up to that point building up to them slugging it out to the death (Hood vs. Burton was supposed to make up for this, I guess, but again, gently caress the entire serial killer plot). Deva just got shuffled away like her brother, despite being one of the most interesting characters unlike her brother, and I don't even know what the gently caress they were going for with Ana/Carrie in S4 (seriously where the hell did her being Daredevil come from).

The show ended S03 and S04 was an extra helping for character resolution, is how I look at it. The time skip didn't​ bother me, an excuse to give some distance for our characters to gain perspective on past events, and the serial killer didn't bother me, also but an excuse to advance Burton's sense of honor and duty, and the bomb detonation that was inevitably going to be, and give Hood FBI chick to play off of and make different decisions with than he would previously with a woman, and thus create a path to compel him forward to live life when he before had utterly given up. Like, the entire plot of S04 is wholly inconsequential to it placing characters into positions they weren't before and examining the who and what they became, are becoming. The real story is between the plot beats. Ana's arc was her throwing herself into work as a means of grief coping for the ends of some kind of catharsis, which was Gordon's unaccomplished goal in life, to take down Proctor.

I mean, I get the criticisms and I don't think they're wrong because the show categorically was different at the end, but by choice I see the season in a completely different light.

EDIT: Actually, I could have done with Ana at the very end turning around only to see Doakes standing there. "Surprise, motherfucker! You're healed!"

cvnvcnv fucked around with this message at 03:37 on May 26, 2017

DC Murderverse
Nov 10, 2016

i was just reminded that Michael Jackson's youngest child is named Blanket, which may be in the running for worst celebrity child name.

Like, I know Gwenyth Paltrow gets poo poo for naming her kid Apple but I can kind of imagine a person (a really crunchy hippy) named Apple. On the other hand, Blanket is on the same tier as naming your kid, like, Cabinet, or Lamp, or Basket.

kiimo
Jul 24, 2003

DC Murderverse posted:

i was just reminded that Michael Jackson's youngest child is named Blanket, which may be in the running for worst celebrity child name.

Like, I know Gwenyth Paltrow gets poo poo for naming her kid Apple but I can kind of imagine a person (a really crunchy hippy) named Apple. On the other hand, Blanket is on the same tier as naming your kid, like, Cabinet, or Lamp, or Basket.

davidspackage
May 16, 2007

Nap Ghost

DC Murderverse posted:

Wasn't his nickname Blanket because Michael named both his sons after himself?

Syncopated
Oct 21, 2010
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=j9iL2qnq4KA

You know their names. This trailer actually really sold me on this movie. Gary Oldman with a lovely accent? I'm there.

not trolled not crying
Jan 29, 2007

21st Century Awezome Man

LORD OF BOOTY posted:

oh wow a Michael Jackson truther

who's her real daddy, the Lizard Emperor?

I thought it was common knowledge that they aren't biologically his kids? I remember that being talked about in some documentary, maybe the one where Martin Bashir spends some days with Jackson? Or maybe the fact that the kids seem to be 100% white, which seems kind of improbable.

Alhazred
Feb 16, 2011

not trolled not crying posted:

Or maybe the fact that the kids seem to be 100% white, which seems kind of improbable.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pUO5DwLiq7A

The MSJ
May 17, 2010

Pete Wentz of Fall Out Boy and Suits star Meghan Markel also comes to mind.

Vintersorg
Mar 3, 2004

President of
the Brendan Fraser
Fan Club

not trolled not crying posted:

I thought it was common knowledge that they aren't biologically his kids? I remember that being talked about in some documentary, maybe the one where Martin Bashir spends some days with Jackson? Or maybe the fact that the kids seem to be 100% white, which seems kind of improbable.

I was under the assumption that it was his sperm.

cvnvcnv
Mar 17, 2013

Vintersorg posted:

I was under the assumption that it was his sperm.

Patronage was buried at Jackson family request during the wrongful death suit iirc, so it's not likely.

Deakul
Apr 2, 2012

PAM PA RAM

PAM PAM PARAAAAM!

Cinema Discusso › Michael Jackson Truthers and Streaming Services, Unproductive Posts About Post Reduction

The MSJ
May 17, 2010

It matters not if Michael was their father, because he was certainly their daddy.

The MSJ fucked around with this message at 15:40 on May 26, 2017

WeedlordGoku69
Feb 12, 2015

by Cyrano4747

Deakul posted:

Cinema Discusso › Michael Jackson Truthers and Streaming Services, Unproductive Posts About Post Reduction

unironically rename the thread to this

cvnvcnv
Mar 17, 2013

Mat Cauthon
Jan 2, 2006

The more tragic things get,
the more I feel like laughing.

The MSJ posted:

It matters not if Michael was their father, because he was certainly their daddy.

There's a really inappropriate Mary Poppins/MJ joke to be made here.

DC Murderverse
Nov 10, 2016

The MSJ posted:

Pete Wentz of Fall Out Boy and Suits star Meghan Markel also comes to mind.

I knew Markel was mixed because all of those terrible tabloids in the UK having a poo poo-fit that a non-white person is dating a prince, but this is literally the first I've heard of Wentz having Jamaican heritage.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

The MSJ
May 17, 2010

DC Murderverse posted:

I knew Markel was mixed because all of those terrible tabloids in the UK having a poo poo-fit that a non-white person is dating a prince, but this is literally the first I've heard of Wentz having Jamaican heritage.

Funny thing is it won't even be the first time England has a non-white royal.

Wentz is also related to Collin Powell.

• Locked thread