Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Flash Gordon Ramsay
Sep 28, 2004

Grimey Drawer

Inzombiac posted:

The battery is poo poo and lasts a week?!
My G700 lasts about 3 hours.

I used to be able to go a month with my revolution without charging.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mu Zeta
Oct 17, 2002

Me crush ass to dust

bongwizzard posted:

I have never seen one in person, but in their pictures the straps look thin as hell compared to pretty much any other decent hiking pack. They also seem pretty feature-poor compared to say the smaller Osprey bags, but I guess looking more "normal" was one of their design goals. I am a huge bag-nerd and would love to get my hands on one in any case.

Gorucks aren't hiking bags. It's a schoolbag on steroids. The people that use it are likely going to carry a laptop in it every day and never like a sleeping bag or something like that.

e: It's around 4.5 inches wide and very thickly padded.

Mu Zeta has a new favorite as of 21:46 on Jul 13, 2016

Shanghaied
Oct 12, 2004

BIG PAD

Mu Zeta posted:

Gorucks aren't hiking bags. It's a schoolbag on steroids. The people that use it are likely going to carry a laptop in it every day and never like a sleeping bag or something like that.

e: It's around 4.5 inches wide and very thickly padded.

lol your tape doesn't start at 0 through.

KingColliwog
May 15, 2003

Let's go droogs

Flash Gordon Ramsay posted:

I used to be able to go a month with my revolution without charging.

I have one of those logitech marathon and it's been going for several months now. Many people probably don't think it has enough features though

Bape Culture
Sep 13, 2006

I am a moron

200mph here I come

Shrapnig
Jan 21, 2005

Bape Culture posted:

I am a moron

200mph here I come

RIP

Mu Zeta
Oct 17, 2002

Me crush ass to dust

Shanghaied posted:

lol your tape doesn't start at 0 through.

yeah oops. It's still wider than my normal backpacks.

welcome 2 Clown Town
Aug 1, 2006

GALAXY'S #2 SCULL*!

*scrunt skull

Bape Culture posted:

I am a moron

200mph here I come

is this going in your ls swapped m3?

Bape Culture
Sep 13, 2006

tomstuart posted:

is this going in your ls swapped m3?

Yeah. I need to get the front aero sorted now but thanks to brexit it just jumped by 20% or whatever :smith:
Rear wing was a bargain and stolen from 911RSR. I'll probably build my own uprights.
:twisted:

welcome 2 Clown Town
Aug 1, 2006

GALAXY'S #2 SCULL*!

*scrunt skull

Bape Culture posted:

Yeah. I need to get the front aero sorted now but thanks to brexit it just jumped by 20% or whatever :smith:
Rear wing was a bargain and stolen from 911RSR. I'll probably build my own uprights.
:twisted:

im pretty jealous that seems like it would be incredibly fun to drive

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

That's what I use. Two things:

•The battery is poo poo. Have to charge mine weekly
•The forward and back buttons are tiny little wedges that suck. The old MX mouses (Performance, Revolution) has much better ones.

Other than that, I like it. But I'd replace it with a Revolution in a heartbeat if they started making those again.

You sure you're talking about the MX Master? I use mine for 37.5 hours a week at work and have charged it 4 times in a year and a half.

clockwork automaton
May 2, 2007

You've probably never heard of them.

Fun Shoe

Glottis posted:

Let us know how that thing works. I'm literally about to have Fitbit send me the 3rd Charge HR replacement (4th total) since I bought mine in January because the stupid rubber keeps peeling off, and I've only got a few months left of warranty.

This kept happening to my charge too and once I was completely out of warranty I ended up getting an alta when it was on sale, which has the notifications of the charge but also replaceable bands again.

Glottis
May 29, 2002

No. It's necessary.
Yam Slacker

clockwork automaton posted:

This kept happening to my charge too and once I was completely out of warranty I ended up getting an alta when it was on sale, which has the notifications of the charge but also replaceable bands again.

Yeah with my most recent replacement I tried to get them to swap, since the Alta is cheaper, but they wouldn't do it.

FeastForCows
Oct 18, 2011

Bape Culture posted:

I am a moron

200mph here I come

What am I looking at here? Those are definitely not gun parts.

Inzombiac
Mar 19, 2007

PARTY ALL NIGHT

EAT BRAINS ALL DAY

Elaborate Bad Dragon display.

FirstPlayer
Jan 1, 2007

Beat me up and earn
fifteen respect points

That's what I use. Two things:

•The battery is poo poo. Have to charge mine weekly
•The forward and back buttons are tiny little wedges that suck. The old MX mouses (Performance, Revolution) has much better ones.

Other than that, I like it. But I'd replace it with a Revolution in a heartbeat if they started making those again.

I still have my Revolution in a drawer; it stopped charging years ago but maybe some day I'll fix it. :downs:

I've been using the Performance since then and it's good when it's not rapidly left-clicking while I'm trying to drag stuff, but I miss the Revolution.

dpack_1
Mar 23, 2009

Let another's wounds be your warning
Bought an Amazon Fire Stick on Prime Day.

Only to find out that the wifi reception in my bedroom or horse poo poo, and it will frequently drop shows to SD quality or just pause playback for 30 seconds every few mins to buffer.

So i've just bought a netgear wifi booster of some description as i'm only about 20-30ft from my router, but being an apartment building the walls are all lined with nuclear war grade lead sheets or some poo poo. Just trying to bounce the signal round a corner so hoping this will do the job.

Picture not mine obviously

mystes
May 31, 2006

dpack_1 posted:

Only to find out that the wifi reception in my bedroom or horse poo poo, and it will frequently drop shows to SD quality or just pause playback for 30 seconds every few mins to buffer.

So i've just bought a netgear wifi booster of some description as i'm only about 20-30ft from my router, but being an apartment building the walls are all lined with nuclear war grade lead sheets or some poo poo. Just trying to bounce the signal round a corner so hoping this will do the job.

If your router is close enough, you might want to force the fire stick to use 5ghz (e.g. assign the 5ghz interface on your routera different essid and tell the fire stick to use it). With 802.11N the 2.4ghz signal will often appear stronger (causing the client to select it) but actually have lower throughput due to interference.

big mean giraffe
Dec 13, 2003

Eat Shit and Die

Lipstick Apathy
If you're in an apartment building you're probably having issues with interference from a million other routers.

Trabant
Nov 26, 2011

All systems nominal.
True, in which case changing the frequency to 5 GHz could indeed help. We have more than a dozen 2.4Ghz networks showing up around the condo, but only two set to 5 GHz.

That, plus try scanning for less crowded channels.

ROCK THE HOUSE M.D.
Oct 9, 2003

I've got a case of malt liquor stashed in the trunk, Mr. Marvin Gaye on the CD. We are gonna get all the way down.

dpack_1 posted:

I had the same problem with the fire stick, but figured out a different solution. Turns out the fire stick has a problem where if you stick it directly into the back of your TV, the TV blocks your wifi signal or some poo poo, so if you can use an HDMI cable to extend it out so it's not blocked by the TV, you should be good.

dpack_1
Mar 23, 2009

Already on 5g, 2.4g is literally swamped not just in the apartment but the entire suburb.

It really is the walls in the apartment, with an HDMI extension i can kinda hold it in line of sight of the router and it's fine, but the second i plug it in directly to the TV to hide the stick and not have cables running all over the place it loses signal.

Purpose built apartments made in the 70's in London are some cold war bunker poo poo i swear!

Ninja Edit: ^^^ This is sort of my problem, but i don't wanna have 3metres of cable pinned across my wall to the door where it gets line of sight, so hoping the wifi extender will bring it up enough to not need that, if it still doesnt work i'll do some fancy wiring somehow.

davebo
Nov 15, 2006

Parallel lines do meet, but they do it incognito
College Slice

FeastForCows posted:

What am I looking at here? Those are definitely not gun parts.

First is the edge of a car's spoiler, second a roll cage to put inside the car for safety if it rolls over, third is a device to connect the car to a computer to tune/configure things.

And since I'm making a post I'll add the only thing I bought on Amazon Prime day was some light bulbs. Last night I went to a bar/restaurant and got a free pint glass. I guess I didn't technically pay for that but I paid for the beer so it counts and made me happy.

DJ Fuckboy Supreme
Feb 10, 2011

And when you stare long into the abyss, you become aggressively, terminally chill

dpack_1 posted:

Already on 5g, 2.4g is literally swamped not just in the apartment but the entire suburb.

If you're using an android device(I'm not sure if apple's store has a similar/same app), you can download ''WiFi analyzer'' and see which channels are least occupied (as has been mentioned), and change your router's channel accordingly. I do this sort of troubleshooting every day with my job and you'd be surprised what a channel swap can do. I'm not sure but you may be able to log into the extender and change its channel as well, but maybe if you're lucky it's designed to parrot the parent wireless channel as well as the ssid.

Trastion
Jul 24, 2003
The one and only.

dpack_1 posted:

It really is the walls in the apartment, with an HDMI extension i can kinda hold it in line of sight of the router and it's fine, but the second i plug it in directly to the TV to hide the stick and not have cables running all over the place it loses signal.

Purpose built apartments made in the 70's in London are some cold war bunker poo poo i swear!

Ninja Edit: ^^^ This is sort of my problem, but i don't wanna have 3metres of cable pinned across my wall to the door where it gets line of sight, so hoping the wifi extender will bring it up enough to not need that, if it still doesnt work i'll do some fancy wiring somehow.

Good luck. The Fire TV Sticks are poo poo no matter what. I have 2 and have 2 Chromecasts and the Chromecasts work fine in the same spots the TV sticks fail. One is 5 feet from the router and in plain view and it still sucks. I have the older version without voice control so not sure if they fixed anything with the new voice control ones. I doubt it though as they deny anything is wrong with the old ones.

A trick that helps a bit is taking a 14" piece of copper wire (something thicker) and taping it to the back of the Fire TV Stick. It seems to improve the signal a bit but not totally. Someone on the Amazon forums said that 14" is the wavelength of the signal or something and that is why you should use that exact length.

mystes
May 31, 2006

big mean giraffe posted:

If you're in an apartment building you're probably having issues with interference from a million other routers.
This is why you need 5ghz. 5ghz has less range and doesnt pass through walls as well, so it's much better in places where there are lots of networks in close proximity.

Who Is Paul Blart
Oct 22, 2010
Prostitutes

Blackchamber
Jan 25, 2005

Solid Cake posted:

How do you like Project Fi? Does it work well? I'm considering switching to it from Verizon because I feel like I"m paying way too much for what I'm actually getting. Congrats on the new phone, by the way. I've had the 6P since launch and I love it :)

The biggest plus of the service is the price for sure, I was getting a company discount with AT&T and still paying over $90 a month and with Fi I have rarely paid over $50 for the same use, and when I dont use it they give me money off my bill. I haven't had any coverage issues but I'm in the Bay Area. Theres a thread for the service over here if you haven't seen it: http://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3747918&pagenumber=1

Inzombiac
Mar 19, 2007

PARTY ALL NIGHT

EAT BRAINS ALL DAY

Google Fi is great even though you have to buy a Nexus phone. I got the 6P and actually love it.

You only pay for how much data you use and it's very easy to track. I went from a $80 bill from Verizon to an average of $35 for better service.

mobby_6kl
Aug 9, 2009

by Fluffdaddy

mystes posted:

This is why you need 5ghz. 5ghz has less range and doesnt pass through walls as well, so it's much better in places where there are lots of networks in close proximity.

Unless there are walls between the router and the stick/other device. In which case it will have less interference from other networks but worse dropoff due to the walls, possibly decreasing the resulting throughput. I know this because my phone barely keeps a 5Ghz signal in the kitchen while 2.4 was mostly rock solid.

Mu Zeta
Oct 17, 2002

Me crush ass to dust

Inzombiac posted:

Google Fi is great even though you have to buy a Nexus phone. I got the 6P and actually love it.

You only pay for how much data you use and it's very easy to track. I went from a $80 bill from Verizon to an average of $35 for better service.

I prefer my nerd plan from T-Mobile. 5gig per month for $30. It's only 100 minutes talk time though.

Who Is Paul Blart
Oct 22, 2010
A good angle grinder and a lovely battery powered leaf blower.

MG3
Mar 29, 2016

Professor Tomtom posted:

A good angle grinder and a lovely battery powered leaf blower.

Oh no a battery powered blower? drat

Shanghaied
Oct 12, 2004

BIG PAD

Mu Zeta posted:

I prefer my nerd plan from T-Mobile. 5gig per month for $30. It's only 100 minutes talk time though.

Just curious, is this typical for the US? Where I am I pay the equivalent of ca. $29 a month (well, 30 days) for 7 gigs of data, free calls, texts and mms. And that's prepaid without contract.

Mu Zeta
Oct 17, 2002

Me crush ass to dust

Shanghaied posted:

Just curious, is this typical for the US? Where I am I pay the equivalent of ca. $29 a month (well, 30 days) for 7 gigs of data, free calls, texts and mms. And that's prepaid without contract.

No it's not typical. Most plans are like $60 or $70+. Do you get 7 gigs of LTE or is it like the first 3 or 4 only?

My nerd plan is prepaid/no contract.

The US market is in a weird place right now because we are transitioning to remove contracts.

Shanghaied
Oct 12, 2004

BIG PAD

Mu Zeta posted:

No it's not typical. Most plans are like $60 or $70+. Do you get 7 gigs of LTE or is it like the first 3 or 4 only?

My nerd plan is prepaid/no contract.

The US market is in a weird place right now because we are transitioning to remove contracts.

I see. But yeah my plan is all LTE. You get HSPA or 3G if your phone can only do those, but otherwise LTE is not something you pay extra for over here.

Incidentally a coworker just moved to a new house without broadband, and the ISP is wringing their hands about getting the digger out for just a few houses in the area. So he's shoving his ten year old SIM with a $40 a month UNLIMITED data plan in a LTE modem for all his data needs. Ah, the halcyon days of 2006 when 3G was a thing and smartphones wasn't.

dpack_1
Mar 23, 2009

Trip Report:

Extender works perfectly.

Also an added benefit was it having an ethernet out port on the plug in, so rather than running my HTPC in my bedroom off of some inconsistant LAN over powerline poo poo that used to drop out for 30 seconds every 2 or 3 hours it now also runs off the wifi.

All in all i'm happy with my bedroom set up now, my only concern is it honestly offers better entertainment than my living room now and i don't particularly like spending all my time cooped up in a bedroom when i've a fully functional social room, gonna have to start making excuses to spend more time in there somehow. I'm thinking my next purchase will be a poker table in the hopes i can start up a games night with some friends.

Raikiri
Nov 3, 2008

Palit GameRock 1070

Red Baron
Mar 9, 2007

ty slumfrog :)

Blackchamber posted:

Nexus 6P. I got Project Fi in beta when it was nexus 6 or nothing, and I really dont like that ugly featureless phone, so happy to upgrade finally. Case and screen protector also.

Also picked up a 6P, what case did you go with?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Inzombiac
Mar 19, 2007

PARTY ALL NIGHT

EAT BRAINS ALL DAY

I have this guy.
The gaudy color makes it easy to find.

https://www.amazon.com/gp/aw/d/B01GSXPSSQ/ref=mp_s_a_1_28?ie=UTF8&qid=1468784323&sr=1-28&pi=AC_SX236_SY340_QL65&keywords=nexus+6p+case