Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Jose Oquendo
Jun 20, 2004

Star Trek: The Motion Picture is a boring movie
How gay is it?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Pingiivi
Mar 26, 2010

Straight into the iris!
I'd guess it's preeeeeeetty gay.

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames
It's extremely gay

hamsystem
Nov 11, 2010

Fuzzy pickles!
Highly recommend Jean Claude Van Johnson on Amazon and Future Man on Hulu. The first episode of Future Man isn't great but it hits its stride in episode 2 and stays pretty hilarious. JCVJ is great from the jump and it's a pretty quick watch to boot.

Doorknob Slobber
Sep 10, 2006

by Fluffdaddy

knows a black guy posted:

Man I hate to say it, but you're not wrong. I had this feeling while watching season 4, and I think so much time passes between seasons that I didn't catch onto it before. Also I thought Adrian Brody was hilariously terrible this season.

its like the writers have an episode outline that is like, "In the first three episodes, bad things happen, on the third episode we will hint at a betrayal, on the fourth episode we will have the betrayal, on the sixth episode we will reveal that the betrayal was part of the plan and on the seventh episode we will reveal that EVERYTHING was part of the secret off screen plan the entire time, booya good writing pals!" *everyone high fives and puts on their news boy caps*

Basebf555
Feb 29, 2008

The greatest sensual pleasure there is is to know the desires of another!

Fun Shoe
Holy poo poo the young Johnny Depp CGI monstrosity from the recent Pirates movie is the worst I've seen yet. Waaaaay worse than the stuff in Star Wars. Anyway it's on Netflix now, but it's pretty much complete poo poo outside of a few scenes.

Ugly In The Morning
Jul 1, 2010
Pillbug

Basebf555 posted:

Holy poo poo the young Johnny Depp CGI monstrosity from the recent Pirates movie is the worst I've seen yet. Waaaaay worse than the stuff in Star Wars. Anyway it's on Netflix now, but it's pretty much complete poo poo outside of a few scenes.

The first movie was great, and every single sequel has been worse than the last. By a lot.

2 needed an hour cut, and it got worse from there.

Remulak
Jun 8, 2001
I can't count to four.
Yams Fan

Basebf555 posted:

Goddamn house chase was the best Jackie Chan bit I’ve seen in decades.

Baron von Eevl
Jan 24, 2005

WHITE NOISE
GENERATOR

🔊😴
It's a shame, I like whatever Bardem is doing in the trailer, as well as the look they have for him and his underwater friends.

Filthy Hans
Jun 27, 2008

by Fluffdaddy

(and can't post for 10 years!)

I finished Travelers season 2 and I think it's as good as the first. I find I enjoy it more when I treat it like Looper: the story makes sense enough if you take it by it's own rules rather than how you think time travel should actually work. It's a show about consequences, but the blowback from following the Grand Plan is pretty loving severe at times. Also, the show doesn't try to maintain a status quo: things happen, storylines begin and end, and the world changes drastically in the present and future.

Lycus
Aug 5, 2008

Half the posters in this forum have been made up. This website is a goddamn ghost town.

Filthy Hans posted:

I find I enjoy it more when I treat it like Looper: the story makes sense enough if you take it by it's own rules rather than how you think time travel should actually work.

Well, that's how you're supposed to watch all time travel shows/movies instead of loving it up with nerdery.

A MIRACLE
Sep 17, 2007

All right. It's Saturday night; I have no date, a two-liter bottle of Shasta and my all-Rush mix-tape... Let's rock.

except for Primer, you're supposed to analyze that one to death

Shoombo
Jan 1, 2013
Nah Primer is way better if you don't do that nerd poo poo. None of the characters know what's going on, why should you? The fact that it is mapped out and internally consistent is merely a bonus.

K. Waste
Feb 27, 2014

MORAL:
To the vector belong the spoils.

Shoombo posted:

Nah Primer is way better if you don't do that nerd poo poo. None of the characters know what's going on, why should you? The fact that it is mapped out and internally consistent is merely a bonus.

Right.

Step 1: man creates time travel
Step 2: man exploits time travel for personal gain
Step 3: fabric of reality rips apart

Sand Monster
Apr 13, 2008

I see there's a sequel to Goon that showed up as a new release. Is it even worth watching? The original wasn't bad for what it was and was moderately entertaining.

K. Waste
Feb 27, 2014

MORAL:

Sand Monster posted:

I see there's a sequel to Goon that showed up as a new release. Is it even worth watching?

Nope.

a foolish pianist
May 6, 2007

(bi)cyclic mutation

Sand Monster posted:

I see there's a sequel to Goon that showed up as a new release. Is it even worth watching? The original wasn't bad for what it was and was moderately entertaining.

Goon is a legit good hockey movie, and Seann William Scott is just so charming as a slightly-slow scrappy rear end in a top hat.

Mr. Maltose
Feb 16, 2011

The Guffless Girlverine
Goon also does a great job of establishing stakes and conflict without making any of the opposing characters villainous, which more sports movies should do because sports are a construct where people who like and respect each other can dedicate themselves to defeating one another without compromising that connection.

Unmature
May 9, 2008
Goon rules. Haven't seen the sequel yet.

The_Rob
Feb 1, 2007

Blah blah blah blah!!
Goon was a movie me and my friends popped on while high out of our minds and it ended up being perfect because it was so fast paced and never slowed down and stayed pretty funny the entire way through.

Tim Whatley
Mar 28, 2010

The Goon sequel was so, so bad

Jewel Repetition
Dec 24, 2012

Ask me about Briar Rose and Chicken Chaser.

Tim Whatley posted:

The Goon sequel was so, so bad

Yeah 4chan is really bad

Field Mousepad
Mar 21, 2010
BAE
Holy poo poo cannibal corpse are in the first Ace Ventura movie. I did not remember that.

K. Waste
Feb 27, 2014

MORAL:

Field Mousepad posted:

Holy poo poo cannibal corpse are in the first Ace Ventura movie. I did not remember that.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Lut6QvvUCfg

Fargin Icehole
Feb 19, 2011

Pet me.
I know that there are stories of people binging through entire shows on weekends but that never really happened to me. After watching the first episode of Patriot, i binged the entire thing that day, holy poo poo, I fuckin' love this show. It's like a really dark comedy spy thriller mixed in with parts Jackie Brown.

LadyPictureShow
Nov 18, 2005

Success!

Unmature posted:

Goon rules. Haven't seen the sequel yet.

Save yourself the waste of time. Watched the sequel last night. Felt unnecessary; and Wyatt Russell was twigging me out because he kept making me think of his dad’s role in The Thing. It just felt like a retread of the first one, all the characters making the same kind of jokes they made in the original.

Funny story, I watched Goon on an international flight. It was like a ‘edited for tv’ version. LaFlamme’s drug-use and manwhoring was cut out so he just seemed depressed, the Russian brothers practically didn’t exist, and Jay Baruchel showed up considerably less than in the non-edited version.

isaboo
Nov 11, 2002

Muay Buok
ขอให้โชคดี
In the mood for a bad but brutal Vince Vaughan flick? Brawl in Cell Block 99 is on Amazon Prime and fits the bill.

The plot was pretty silly with lots of holes and bad decisions but the fight scenes, which weren't great, were entertaining enough even with really bad effects Bradley stomping on heads and the final shot especially...
almost papier-mâché quality

Vince was good enough- I liked him in this more than anything I've seen him in recently, but Don Johnson.... poor ol' Don needed a much larger role to ham it up. Jennifer Carpenter was just there.

Overall the film felt both rushed and way too slow at the same time; not sure how they managed that.

Now that I've typed all this I can't really say I recommend it unless you're just bored to tears as I was.

Edit:
VVVV I hadn't thought of the grindhouse homage thing and that makes sense though it doesn't change my overall opinion. Maybe if there were more of those scenes I would have caught on. I think there were only 3 where I noticed and they just felt so jarring. I really wanted more fights from the get go so that may be a source of my disappointment with it overall

isaboo fucked around with this message at 20:54 on Jan 4, 2018

Basebf555
Feb 29, 2008

The greatest sensual pleasure there is is to know the desires of another!

Fun Shoe

pahuyuth posted:

In the mood for a bad but brutal Vince Vaughan flick? Brawl in Cell Block 99 is on Amazon Prime and fits the bill.

The plot was pretty silly with lots of holes and bad decisions but the fight scenes, which weren't great, were entertaining enough even with really bad effects Bradley stomping on heads and the final shot especially...
almost papier-mâché quality

Vince was good enough- I liked him in this more than anything I've seen him in recently, but Don Johnson.... poor ol' Don needed a much larger role to ham it up. Jennifer Carpenter was just there.

Overall the film felt both rushed and way too slow at the same time; not sure how they managed that.

Now that I've typed all this I can't really say I recommend it unless you're just bored to tears as I was.

I enjoyed it a lot more than you seemed to, I can give it a full endorsement. It's extremely entertaining from start to finish and I thought it moved at a great pace. And Vaughn is great in it, he's huge and the "action" scenes are extremely brutal and fit his talents perfectly. Having seen it, I really can't think of any other working actor that I'd rather have seen in the role.

The effects are purposely artificial looking as a nod to exploitation/grindhouse films that the entire movie is an homage to.

Basebf555 fucked around with this message at 02:17 on Jan 5, 2018

Enos Cabell
Nov 3, 2004

Yeah, Brawl in Cell Block 99 was great.

Humbug Scoolbus
Apr 25, 2008

The scarlet letter was her passport into regions where other women dared not tread. Shame, Despair, Solitude! These had been her teachers, stern and wild ones, and they had made her strong, but taught her much amiss.
Clapping Larry
Bone Tomahawk was just as amazing. I'm looking forward to seeing Dragged Across Concrete with Vaughn, Mel Gibson, and Michael Jai White. Zahler knows the tone he wants, and nails it.

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames
yeah Bone Tomahawk was superb. pretty sure it's still on Prime.

Anisocoria Feldman
Dec 11, 2007

I'm sorry if I'm spoiling everybody's good time.

K. Waste posted:

Right.

Step 1: man creates time travel
Step 2: man exploits time travel for personal gain
Step 3: fabric of reality rips apart

I'm a bit dim; you'll need to explain how the fabric of reality rips apart in Primer.

fishtobaskets
Feb 22, 2007

It's not about butthole pleasures
Lipstick Apathy
Bone Tomahawk had one of the most disturbing scenes of violence I've ever seen. I liked the movie, but whenever I think about it, that scene dominates. Absolutely horrific.

Crass Casualty
May 9, 2004
The artist formerly known as Iron Stalin
Has anyone here seen Comrade detective? It's a pretty funny send up of action shows from the 80s and 90s with a heaping spoonful of social satire.

Imagine Garth Marenghi, but more straight laced.

K. Waste
Feb 27, 2014

MORAL:

Anisocoria Feldman posted:

I'm a bit dim; you'll need to explain how the fabric of reality rips apart in Primer.

The dudes start using time travel and then cause a paradox in which there are dopplegangers of themselves walking around getting up to god knows what, compounding the paradox even further, while they themselves start to deteriorate cognitively.

Lycus
Aug 5, 2008

Half the posters in this forum have been made up. This website is a goddamn ghost town.
End of the loving World's title has my attention. Good? Bad?

InterrupterJones
Nov 10, 2012

Me and the boys on the way to kill another demon god
Is Brawl in Cell Block 99 in any way related to Riot in Cell Block 11?

Lycus
Aug 5, 2008

And can I follow it okay if I didn't see parts 12 to 98?

Enos Cabell
Nov 3, 2004

Lycus posted:

And can I follow it okay if I didn't see parts 12 to 98?

You have to watch at least part 76, Bicentennial Brawl.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Cocoa Ninja
Mar 3, 2007

Enos Cabell posted:

You have to watch at least part 76, Bicentennial Brawl.

That’s the one where Robin Williams is a cyborg cage fighter.