Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Nodosaur
Dec 23, 2014

teagone posted:

I'm willing to argue that most people enjoy the MCU films because they're generally just well made and fun, but safe, movies, and that aside from the first Avengers film, the setup/investment and connective tissue between each of the movies has little to no influence on the average moviegoers opinion of them. Like X-O mentioned a little while ago, there are people who think the X-Men movies are part of the MCU, those people exist.

Except DC is the one trying to tell these stories as interconnected ones. These aren't one off animated films that try to be the cliff notes versions of significant stories. These are stories that were, as comics, designed to be the culmination of particular characters. If they're gonna make a claim at being a "universe", you need to build this stuff up properly, because they don't work as standalone things. Flashpoint isn't like Back to the Future because BttF is about an everyman, boy from next door type. You don't need to spend time building his mythology because Marty McFly is someone the audience can project onto. A superhero like the Flash is NOT that kind of character, and you can't tell a story about his world going funhouse mirror without prior establishment because his world is a very distinct thing and no one has seen his world yet.

And no offense, but I disagree with that statement you've made. Being Iron Man has made RDJ a household name. While there are people who think things like your X-Men example, there's also people who still call a Nintendo 3DS a Game Boy. That doesn't change the fact that there aren't a significant amount of people who keep coming back because they've watched this character grow for a decade. And even if that weren't true, that's no excuse to half rear end it, which DC has objectively done on the merits of them hacking two out of four films on the editing board to pieces already.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

Big Mean Jerk posted:

We don't need years of your posts to earn your shitposting moments, just one page of this thread.

I don't know if this is directed at me or not.

X-O
Apr 28, 2002

Long Live The King!

Rhyno posted:

I don't know if this is directed at me or not.

Is this one of those self realization moments where you find some kind of inner clarity?

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

X-O posted:

Is this one of those self realization moments where you find some kind of inner clarity?

Bro, what's the likelyhood of that happening?

Roth
Jul 9, 2016

I like Rhyno :)

Barring MrPresident, I don't mind any BSS regulars, y'all are pretty chill when it comes down to it, which is what makes walking in on these arguments really weird to me.

mikeraskol
May 3, 2006

Oh yeah. I was killing you.

Holy mother of god.

teagone
Jun 10, 2003

That was pretty intense, huh?

TFRazorsaw posted:

And no offense, but I disagree with that statement you've made. Being Iron Man has made RDJ a household name. While there are people who think things like your X-Men example, there's also people who still call a Nintendo 3DS a Game Boy. That doesn't change the fact that there aren't a significant amount of people who keep coming back because they've watched this character grow for a decade. And even if that weren't true, that's no excuse to half rear end it, which DC has objectively done on the merits of them hacking two out of four films on the editing board to pieces already.

No offense taken. I don't mind hearing out opinions different to mine. If I didn't, I wouldn't have questioned my view on why MCU films are so successful because of something X-O said a little while ago. While I am willing to argue that the MCU's connective tissue/setup/investment has little to no bearing on the average audience member's opinion of the films, I'm not dumb and also realize that, yes, the world building Marvel Studios has done with their MCU was something really novel and played a part in the franchise's success. Part of me just also thinks most people like them because they're simply good, fun, and well made movies (even if I find the MCU visual style bland and boring). I said this in the CineD thread, but I enjoy the MCU films in the same way I enjoy Pixar movies; them being connected to one another doesn't really affect my enjoyment of them, personally, and I'm sure there are a lot of other who would say the same.

But I will say that claiming WB/DC is half assing their world building with the DCEU is kinda harsh. Someone else said it either in this thread or the CineD thread, describing the DCEU as "overambitious" and I think that's a better term for anyone looking to fault WB/DC for their comic book movie universe not being universally applauded. Except Suicide Squad, I will not defend that movie after reading THR's article on what happened behind the scenes. That was a legit dumpster fire. Seems like WB/DC learned their lesson though, and I'm personally happy it was Wonder Woman to be the DCEU film that got the franchise pointed in the right direction. Man of Steel got the series in the water, but Wonder Woman got it moving. Regarding Flashpoint, we'll just have to wait and see how the other DCEU film's pan out I guess. I really just want to see Jeffrey Dean Morgan as Batdad :shrug:

teagone fucked around with this message at 05:48 on Jul 23, 2017

Nodosaur
Dec 23, 2014

BvS had editing problems to the point they had to release an extended cut, and the plot making no sense was a major criticism of the movie as it was shown in theaters. And YMMV, but I feel like they've utterly betrayed the spirit of the Batman character, which is a huge mark against it considering they seem to want to have him play a role in next to everything. They killed off an important Superman supporting character for yucks, for christ's sake. I do think their world building has significant issues, beyond throwing everything out too fast with poor build up.

But yeah, that's 2/4 movies that needed to be "fixed" post release. Their best movie is Wonder Woman and I can't help but feel part of that is due to the fact that it's set almost a full century away from everything else.

Aside from that, wanting Jeffery Dean Morgan as Batman is fine. But I still think shoving that out or even hinting at the possibility before we even have an inkling of an actual Flash character who isn't Barry Allen is a mistake.

X-O
Apr 28, 2002

Long Live The King!

Oh My God. It gets even better! Clancy Brown is voicing Surtur in Ragnarok!

SonicRulez
Aug 6, 2013

GOTTA GO FIST
That Thor trailer has me crazy hype. Surtur? Hulk talking?! Lit.

Also I think someone on a previous page said they don't want Cap to land the final blow on Thanos with Mjolnir. You stay away from Marvel Studios forever.

Codependent Poster
Oct 20, 2003

TFRazorsaw posted:

They killed off an important Superman supporting character for yucks, for christ's sake.

Don't worry, they can introduce his brother, who is also named Jimmy Olsen!

X-O
Apr 28, 2002

Long Live The King!

Codependent Poster posted:

Don't worry, they can introduce his brother, who is also named Jimmy Olsen!

I should ban you right now.

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!
Smallville ruins every thread.

Why are we taking the villain's narration of "No Lanterns" to mean that DC hates Green Lantern and there won't be one in the film at all?

BrianWilly
Apr 24, 2007

There is no homosexual terrorist Johnny Silverhand
We are? I thought it was a really cool line because it actually establishes how important the GLs are to a planet's safety.

Also that Thor trailer is balls to the walls great.

I hope that wolf is actually Loki's kid here as well.

Nodosaur
Dec 23, 2014

BrianWilly posted:

We are? I thought it was a really cool line because it actually establishes how important the GLs are to a planet's safety.

Also that Thor trailer is balls to the walls great.

I hope that wolf is actually Loki's kid here as well.

"He's adopted."

X-O
Apr 28, 2002

Long Live The King!

Rhyno posted:

Smallville ruins every thread.

Why are we taking the villain's narration of "No Lanterns" to mean that DC hates Green Lantern and there won't be one in the film at all?

I don't know that anyone is saying that at all and in fact I think that line is the opposite of that really. I think I'm the only one that hates Green Lanterns. That line is pretty obviously there to remind you "Hey! We didn't forget even though we want you to forget about that last one!" so you'll be prepared when they inevitably show up at the end of the film.

Nodosaur
Dec 23, 2014

I said this before, but Green Lantern Corps. is probably gonna be based on Blackest Knight at the way things are going, isn't it?

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

X-O posted:

I don't know that anyone is saying that at all and in fact I think that line is the opposite of that really. I think I'm the only one that hates Green Lanterns. That line is pretty obviously there to remind you "Hey! We didn't forget even though we want you to forget about that last one!" so you'll be prepared when they inevitably show up at the end of the film.

There's been several posts with people saying things like "lol, even DC hated the GL film" and other idiotic statements.

achillesforever6
Apr 23, 2012

psst you wanna do a communism?

X-O posted:

Oh My God. It gets even better! Clancy Brown is voicing Surtur in Ragnarok!
Well now I don't know who Sam Neill is playing now

Arist
Feb 13, 2012

who, me?

achillesforever6 posted:

I keep forgetting he's in this movie!

X-O
Apr 28, 2002

Long Live The King!

I wouldn't be surprised if he's another of the Elders like Collector, Grandmaster, and Ego.

Codependent Poster
Oct 20, 2003

achillesforever6 posted:

Rumors are he's playing another Elder of the Universe which is possibly the Trader.

X-O
Apr 28, 2002

Long Live The King!

Codependent Poster posted:

Rumors are he's playing another Elder of the Universe which is possibly the Trader.

Well see I didn't even know that was the rumor! But it definitely fits.

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!
Sam Neil should be playing the one above all, Eternity or maybe the Beyonder. I just wanna hear that booming voice of his.

Mister Mind
Mar 20, 2009

I'm not a real doctor,
But I am a real worm;
I am an actual worm

achillesforever6 posted:

He's reprising his role as King Charles II from Restoration (which starred RDJ as "Robert Merivel," who was presumably an ancestor of or a time-traveling Tony Stark.)

Beachcomber
May 21, 2007

Another day in paradise.

Slippery Tilde

achillesforever6 posted:

The wolf.

Rhonne
Feb 13, 2012

Roth posted:

Full version, but lower quality

Thor looks confused as gently caress

There's a lot wrong with this poster. Captain America looks like they just photoshopped his mask over his face.

X-O
Apr 28, 2002

Long Live The King!

Rhonne posted:

There's a lot wrong with this poster. Captain America looks like they just photoshopped his mask over his face.

The right side is fan made and hasn’t been actually released yet. I think it comes out tomorrow.

https://www.instagram.com/p/BWzmbOqFrFw/?taken-by=avengers_infinity_war_2018

X-O fucked around with this message at 08:54 on Jul 23, 2017

Kal-L
Jan 18, 2005

Heh... Spider-man... Web searches... That's funny. I should've trademarked that one. Could've made a mint.

Rhyno posted:

Bro, what's the likelyhood of that happening?

You're not the poster we want, but the one we deserve :v:

Thor Ragnarok looks great. And I'm still hoping for Beta Ray Bill.

BrianWilly
Apr 24, 2007

There is no homosexual terrorist Johnny Silverhand
Infinity War footage bootleg

Quality is not bad but angle is godawful. :buddy: Get it while it's gettable.

teagone
Jun 10, 2003

Lmao that angle. I wonder how the person was holding their phone/camera.

Dacap
Jul 8, 2008

I've been involved in a number of cults, both as a leader and a follower.

You have more fun as a follower. But you make more money as a leader.

So Infinity War's credit sequence is 100% gonna be one of the dead heroes revealed as a Skrull leading into "Secret Invasion" as Avengers 4, isn't it?

I bet the switch from it being IW 2 happened the second they got the rights secured.

Nodosaur
Dec 23, 2014

Avengers 4 is gonna carry over plot points from IW.

They've always had the rights to the skrulls, this isn't a new development.

purple death ray
Jul 28, 2007

me omw 2 steal ur girl

Batdad and Jokemom could be ten loving minutes or less out of the Flash movie, I dont know why yall are acting like they need to take over the whole movie and set stuff up for it. Like they are just there to show off "this timeline is hosed UP" the whole plot doesn't have to revolve around them.

Cythereal
Nov 8, 2009

I love the potoo,
and the potoo loves you.
Have leaked footage of the Infinity War trailer

teagone
Jun 10, 2003

Higher res, better quality, full trailer, but way shittier angle:

https://my.mixtape.moe/maprof.mp4

SonicRulez
Aug 6, 2013

GOTTA GO FIST
Well that trailer is amazing. It does make me what happens to our good friend Banner between the two trailers I just watched. I hope he's ok :(

I'm glad Marvel is doing the Skrulls and not just the Chitauri. Though the discovery of aliens by Nick Fury before the first Avengers (or perhaps Thor I guess) is strange to me.

Gaz-L
Jan 28, 2009
2 things: Just wait for a couple days. If they can't shut down the bootlegs of the Avengers footage, they'll just release a good quality version so they can control it.

And second, I love Mark Ruffalo as Bruce Banner/Hulk. Just that little "...that doesn't sound right?" when Thor says he beat the Hulk is wonderful.

Desperado Bones
Aug 29, 2009

Cute, adorable, and creepy at the same time!

:woop: That's what I was waiting for!! Hell yeah! I hope Marvel releases the official version soon.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

pubic works project
Jan 28, 2005

No Decepticon in history, and I say this with great surety, has been treated worse or more unfairly.

Rhyno posted:

So maybe you're an evil poster from the future that I inspired to come back in time and become my greatest nemesis?

God drat that's some Reverse Flash level poo poo.

• Locked thread