Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
-Blade
Trump
Doctor
Sex
Cake
View Results

A Wizard of Goatse
Dec 14, 2014

DragQueenofAngmar posted:

yes this country is hugely hosed up but in those cities there are significant numbers of people who want to house the homeless, but the wealthy use that property to generate wealth so obviously, that’s just unacceptable! it’s a class issue with all the other issues that entails. whereas in the small town in the article that started the discussion, people who are very poor and under-served, want to remain that way. due to propaganda, but propaganda it is extremely difficult to undo

I live in rural louisiana. it’s very like the town described

Nobody's generating wealth off the entire blocks of boarded-up houses a half mile away from me. At best they're a property tax drain being held for the day decades away if ever when Baltimore real estate becomes worth enough to get a return on investment (probably not being sped along by all the homeless people hanging around), more likely there's nobody to be found who lays claim to them. But rendering them habitable would cost more than zero money, and you can't just give away property it's my reward for being a hard worker, guess we gotta have junkies sleeping on the sidewalk forever.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Serf
May 5, 2011

raminasi posted:

i don't understand how any of these people are being duped though. everything seems completely honest. "your life sucks, your life getting better would be bad, but i'll make other people's lives suck even more than yours, vote for me" appears to be the only winning electoral strategy.

that isn't what these people say tho

Kennel
May 1, 2008

BAWWW-UNH!

Taco Duck posted:

I gotta brush the sweat from my brow just thinking about how hard meetings are.

3.5 hours of meetings/day (on average) sounds like hell, though.

shirts and skins
Jun 25, 2007

Good morning!

A Wizard of Goatse posted:

Nobody's generating wealth off the entire blocks of boarded-up houses a half mile away from me. At best they're a property tax drain being held for the day decades away if ever when Baltimore real estate becomes worth enough to get a return on investment (probably not being sped along by all the homeless people hanging around), more likely there's nobody to be found who lays claim to them. But rendering them habitable would cost more than zero money, and you can't just give away property it's my reward for being a hard worker, guess we gotta have junkies sleeping on the sidewalk forever.

Which is amazing, because Utah found out that just giving the homeless housing actually works, and is actually way cheaper than caring for people on the street anyway. But you go to cities like Seattle and people are obsessed with telling officials to "do something" about the homeless...and guess what? These warm hearted coastal liberals usually just want them locked up.

ElGroucho
Nov 1, 2005

We already - What about sticking our middle fingers up... That was insane
Fun Shoe
Post more depressed boomers

InsertPotPun
Apr 16, 2018

Pissy Bitch stan

raminasi posted:

i don't understand how any of these people are being duped though. everything seems completely honest. "your life sucks, your life getting better would be bad, but i'll make other people's lives suck even more than yours, vote for me" appears to be the only winning electoral strategy.
Because they're taught to believe that everything is finite. There's only so much money in the world so we can't afford healthcare for EVERYBODY! There's only so much freedom to go around, only straight whits can get married. You better get your safety and security before some filthy them takes it. They're taught to fear not getting something because it may just be the last one. WHILE being taught to consume as much as possible because times are good. So eat, drink, and roll coal. Before they take it all away.
These people are soaked to the bone with fear because they've been taught that they are a target their entire lives. And only a republican will protect them from them. WHILE being taught that to admit or show fear is weakness. And you need to fear weakness. So always be afraid but never tell anyone.
Pressure only produces diamond from coal (which are precious, precious gems WHILE being common lumps of fluff). With people they simply get soft, and weak, and scared. Human beings are monsters.

jesus WEP
Oct 17, 2004

https://twitter.com/olifkristoff/status/1179414588565200896?s=21

Blast of Confetti
Apr 21, 2008

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Kennel posted:

i guarantee in the breakdowns they rolled lunch meetings in to meetings. i see it all the time at fancy steakhouses. businessmen order the biggest steaks they can, talk about intern tits, and the whole thing is a write off

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Exploration is ill-advised.
I'm reminded of a story how a senile grandpa's family had to start sneaking him fake money because he refused to eat any food he didn't pay for, to prevent him starving to death. This is probably going to have to be implemented at large in deep red districts.

ElGroucho
Nov 1, 2005

We already - What about sticking our middle fingers up... That was insane
Fun Shoe

Ghost Leviathan posted:

I'm reminded of a story how a senile grandpa's family had to start sneaking him fake money because he refused to eat any food he didn't pay for, to prevent him starving to death. This is probably going to have to be implemented at large in deep red districts.

if you don't let your boomer chud grandparents/parents starve, you aren't my comrade

Feldegast42
Oct 29, 2011

COMMENCE THE RITE OF SHITPOSTING

Blast of Confetti posted:

i guarantee in the breakdowns they rolled lunch meetings in to meetings. i see it all the time at fancy steakhouses. businessmen order the biggest steaks they can, talk about intern tits, and the whole thing is a write off

Probably. But honestly, even if I gave every single benefit of the doubt to them that's still a 35 hour work week (yeah personal time doesn't loving count, because it doesn't count for me!) Their employees work longer hours than that, and those that do work 35 don't get the benefits that they undoubtedly do, so f that.

Plank Walker
Aug 11, 2005

InsertPotPun posted:

Because they're taught to believe that everything is finite. There's only so much money in the world so we can't afford healthcare for EVERYBODY! There's only so much freedom to go around, only straight whits can get married. You better get your safety and security before some filthy them takes it. They're taught to fear not getting something because it may just be the last one. WHILE being taught to consume as much as possible because times are good. So eat, drink, and roll coal. Before they take it all away.
These people are soaked to the bone with fear because they've been taught that they are a target their entire lives. And only a republican will protect them from them. WHILE being taught that to admit or show fear is weakness. And you need to fear weakness. So always be afraid but never tell anyone.
Pressure only produces diamond from coal (which are precious, precious gems WHILE being common lumps of fluff). With people they simply get soft, and weak, and scared. Human beings are monsters.

capitalism is a religion and it's core redemption belief is that hard work leads to material wealth. while this is completely false in practice, any public display that would undermine that illusion is verboten. the poor and homeless are poor and homeless because they're lazy or unfit to work. if they were given housing, they'd be at the same standing as hard workers like you or i and we can't let that happen. any system where you have something that is framed as for the pious only (wealth, marriage rights, health care) you need to construct a heathen "other" to deny those rights

DragQueenofAngmar
Dec 29, 2009

You shall not pass!
imo some of this is a similar mindset to hardcore anti-abortion people. if you talk to those people about how free access to birth control and legal safe abortions lead to less abortions happening, they don’t care at all. their view is that abortion is Wrong, therefore it must be illegal, and what actually happens as a result is immaterial. the important thing is that choosing abortion is bad to do and so should be made extremely difficult to do.

TotalLossBrain
Oct 20, 2010

Hier graben!

I like the implication that this moron thinks the moat with Gators and snakes is Donny's health Care plan for the masses

N. Senada
May 17, 2011

My kidneys are busted

Kennel posted:

they don’t go to meetings the same way us peons do.

I feel like that gets missed. CEOs get the benefit of other people doing the work and are just making decisions. in America, they’re insulated from the effects of bad decisions. I would gladly do what they do for half the pay

Freaking Crumbum
Apr 17, 2003

Too fuck to drunk

InsertPotPun posted:

Because they're taught to believe that everything is finite. There's only so much money in the world so we can't afford healthcare for EVERYBODY! There's only so much freedom to go around, only straight whites can get married. You better get your safety and security before some filthy immigrant takes it. They're taught to fear not getting something because it may just be the last one. WHILE being taught to consume as much as possible because times are good. So eat, drink, and roll coal. Before they take it all away. These people are soaked to the bone with fear because they've been taught that they are a target their entire lives. And only a republican will protect them from the other. WHILE being taught that to admit or show fear is weakness. And you need to fear weakness. So always be afraid but never tell anyone.

this is the most succinct explanation for my boomer parent's thought processes (and the basic messages they tried very hard to instill in me growing up) i've ever read. :bravo:

everything is a zero-sum game and any time you don't get what you wanted it's because someone else took it away from you (not because your desire was unrealistic, or because you didn't put in any effort, or etc.). everybody everywhere is always trying their best to screw you over or somehow take advantage of you, so of course the only rational response is to act extremely devious and sneaky and make sure you rip off everyone else first.

also if you are a man you can only respond to disappointment with anger. you can't ever be sad or scared or concerned or anxious, it's either outlandishly disproportionate anger or nothing, because having any other emotional reaction is something that only women do (and also we'll arbitrarily use this as justification to treat women like second class citizens)

ChipNDip
Sep 6, 2010

How many deaths are prevented by an executive order that prevents big box stores from selling seeds, furniture, and paint?

Forceholy posted:

It's like how hardcore restate CHUDs like to call California the welfare state when CA subsidises a lot of other states instead.

California also grows most of our food that isn't corn/soy slop.

ikanreed
Sep 25, 2009

I honestly I have no idea who cannibal[SIC] is and I do not know why I should know.

syq dude, just syq!

ChipNDip posted:

California also grows most of our food that isn't corn/soy slop.

To be fair, they do it by stealing all the loving water.

Agean90
Jun 28, 2008

ikanreed posted:

loving owned

ChipNDip
Sep 6, 2010

How many deaths are prevented by an executive order that prevents big box stores from selling seeds, furniture, and paint?

ikanreed posted:

The water comes from a different part of California to begin with, so technically it's the rest of us stealing the water to be fair.

Byzantine
Sep 1, 2007

NCR go home

Kitfox88
Aug 21, 2007

Anybody lose their glasses?

Byzantine posted:

NCR go home

THE BEAR THE BULL THE BEAR THE BULL

OBAMNA PHONE
Aug 7, 2002

Pththya-lyi posted:

I disagree: I think they realize that not everybody can be on top. I think they're mainly scared of being on the bottom - of being in a position where "inferior" people can look down on them.

they are worried they will be treated like how they treated (or approved of the mistreatment of) minorities

Eat This Glob
Jan 14, 2008

God is dead. God remains dead. And we have killed him. Who will wipe this blood off us? What festivals of atonement, what sacred games shall we need to invent?

imo some of this is a similar mindset to hardcore anti-abortion people. if you talk to those people about how free access to birth control and legal safe abortions lead to less abortions happening, they don’t care at all. their view is that abortion is Wrong, therefore it must be illegal, and what actually happens as a result is immaterial. the important thing is that choosing abortion is bad to do and so should be made extremely difficult to do.

yeah, I'm from evangelical hell world and the place was lousy with protestant and catholic billboards all over (including ones put up in farm fields and stuff). that poo poo permeates DEEP in many rural areas. i dont know if any classmates of mine had abortions, but I can tell you about the ones, starting in 10th grade, that had kids in high school. we did have OK sex ed, though people could opt out. two classmates in my class had their parents opt out. one is now a registered sex offender, oddly enough. hormonal birth control, best I can remember wasn't discussed (in the year 2000 or so).

Epic High Five
Jun 5, 2004

if bodily autonomy is thrown out as a necessary precondition, the obvious solution to preventing abortion is mandatory reversible male sterilization at puberty

Epic High Five
Jun 5, 2004

reversing it will obviously require a bunch of hoops to jump through

chaleski
Apr 25, 2014

ikanreed posted:

And a lot of it goes to insanely wasteful poo poo like pistachios, the Resnicks are prime guillotine material

Freaking Crumbum posted:

also if you are a man you can only respond to disappointment with anger. you can't ever be sad or scared or concerned or anxious, it's either outlandishly disproportionate anger or nothing, because having any other emotional reaction is something that only women do (and also we'll arbitrarily use this as justification to treat women like second class citizens)

gently caress, this is spot-on for every toxic boomer male I know

Powered Descent
Jul 13, 2008

We haven't had that spirit here since 1969.

Epic High Five posted:

if bodily autonomy is thrown out as a necessary precondition, the obvious solution to preventing abortion is mandatory reversible male sterilization at puberty

Epic High Five posted:

reversing it will obviously require a bunch of hoops to jump through

:bahgawd: Keep yer laws off'n my body!

H.P. Hovercraft
Jan 12, 2004

one thing a computer can do that most humans can't is be sealed up in a cardboard box and sit in a warehouse
Slippery Tilde

chaleski posted:

And a lot of it goes to insanely wasteful poo poo like pistachios, the Resnicks are prime guillotine material

water demand for almonds alone is more than la and sf put together

DragQueenofAngmar
Dec 29, 2009

You shall not pass!

Epic High Five posted:

unacceptable, no one gets punished and shamed for having sex this way, and the woman gets the least punishment! turn your face to god or burn eternally, sinner!

A Wizard of Goatse
Dec 14, 2014

it owns I'll buy a bag and it's like I'm directly lighting San Fernando on fire from across the country for $5

Ugato
Apr 9, 2009

We're not?

the legal status of abortion doesn’t have a huge effect on the raw number either way*. mostly because abortion being illegal is just a wildly ineffective deterrent it turns out. the number of abortions is mostly a factor of access to birth control. funny that the people who feel they don’t want kids strongly enough to get an abortion will be responsible when given the opportunity to prevent pregnancy.

the same people who are so die hard about being anti-abortion are also vehemently anti-contraceptives. mostly because it triggers that same reflex of “not with MY TAX DOLLARS”.

* - legalizing abortion primarily just decreases the likelihood that people will do crazy diy abortion poo poo instead of having the procedure done in a safe way by a trained professional. it absolutely saves lives.

Mercedes Colomar
Nov 1, 2008

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Epic High Five posted:

Can we voluntarily go for full sterilization is the question.

The trans agenda grows. :getin:

pillsburysoldier
Feb 11, 2008

Yo, peep that shit

https://mobile.twitter.com/hasanthehun/status/1181661698291163141

Epic High Five
Jun 5, 2004

unacceptable, no one gets punished and shamed for having sex this way, and the woman gets the least punishment! turn your face to god or burn eternally, sinner!

Okay, did this

She said that abortion frees babies from potentially becoming contaminated with sin and is thus a moral imperitive as it ensures them a place in heaven

DragQueenofAngmar
Dec 29, 2009

You shall not pass!

Ugato posted:

the legal status of abortion doesn’t have a huge effect on the raw number either way*. mostly because abortion being illegal is just a wildly ineffective deterrent it turns out. the number of abortions is mostly a factor of access to birth control. funny that the people who feel they don’t want kids strongly enough to get an abortion will be responsible when given the opportunity to prevent pregnancy.

the same people who are so die hard about being anti-abortion are also vehemently anti-contraceptives. mostly because it triggers that same reflex of “not with MY TAX DOLLARS”.

* - legalizing abortion primarily just decreases the likelihood that people will do crazy diy abortion poo poo instead of having the procedure done in a safe way by a trained professional. it absolutely saves lives.

yeah you’re right, I was sloppy with the numbers issue. but the point I was trying to make was more about the attitude of not caring about the real world results of a policy or law, but only about whether they think the prohibited/to be prohibited action is right or wrong in a vacuum

Ugato
Apr 9, 2009

We're not?

yeah you’re right, I was sloppy with the numbers issue. but the point I was trying to make was more about the attitude of not caring about the real world results of a policy or law, but only about whether they think the prohibited/to be prohibited action is right or wrong in a vacuum

we are in total agreement on that part. I’ve had this conversation multiple times and most are so stuck on BUT THE BABIES ARE DYING that they couldn’t give two shits how many more people die as a result of making abortion illegal in any form.

people use the joke about death penalty positions or shootings and being “pro life” but honestly you don’t even have to go that far. being anti-abortion is not being pro life. you’re not saving lives. you’re racking up a body count of people you feel are deserving of death because they dared to not want to have a baby.

Epic High Five
Jun 5, 2004

Ugato posted:

we are in total agreement on that part. I’ve had this conversation multiple times and most are so stuck on BUT THE BABIES ARE DYING that they couldn’t give two shits how many more people die as a result of making abortion illegal in any form.

people use the joke about death penalty positions or shootings and being “pro life” but honestly you don’t even have to go that far. being anti-abortion is not being pro life. you’re not saving lives. you’re racking up a body count of people you feel are deserving of death because they dared to not want to have a baby.

I've stopped using their misleading terminology and just call them forced birthers

OBAMNA PHONE
Aug 7, 2002

Ugato posted:

i have a friend and he complained to me his S-I-L was up in arms about contraception not being covered by some insurance plans. he pulled out the "why should I pay for her to have sex?" poo poo.

motherfucker you arent paying her insurance bills! there's also plenty of other reasons to use BC other than not getting pregnant.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

BiggerBoat
Sep 26, 2007

Don't you tell me my business again.
I was gonna stick this in the USPOL thread but it will get lost there and it sort of fits here

I've started re-reading Hunter S. Thompson's "Fear and Loathing on the Campaign Trail: 72" and, my god, does it read like a synopsis of what's going on now. Maybe with a little less blatant criminality since Nixon hadn't hit Watergate yet but the stuff about disaffected voters, uninspiring candidates, trouble getting the youth vote to turn out, the sleazy Madison Avenue approach to grooming people running, the general instinct for averting the truth and manufacturing "charisma"...it all hits really close to home.

I'm only about 70 pages in and if you just swapped a few names and a war or two around it would read a lot like what's taking shape now. He talks a lot about what drove Nixon voters and how hard it was to get people to turn out for McGovern - or even turn out at all - and was at the top of his game as a writer then.

Maybe it doesn't fit here at all so I'll go cross post it but the main feeling I get from reading it is just how truly cyclical all this really is and how the same people keep falling for the same poo poo and being hosed by the same things. I think they cycle is LARGER now, like an outward spiral, so the extremes are getting more pronounced. The main question I have is when one or the other flies out of orbit.