Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Shakenbaker
Nov 14, 2005

Grimey Drawer

Phone posted:

hezbollah is much like the wu tang clan

I was not ready for this line and I guffaw'd hard enough that my coworker looked at me

like that's the joke anyone would make but it coming from Dolan was something special

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

animist
Aug 28, 2018

echomadman
Aug 24, 2004

Nap Ghost
Hope they have Nasser on again sometime soon.

https://twitter.com/narrabyee/status/1178304291213365248

Trimson Grondag 3
Jul 1, 2007

Clapping Larry
John probably needs to stop telling that A-10 traitor story.

Darkman Fanpage
Jul 4, 2012

lmao 300 killed by saudi friendly fire

Pener Kropoopkin
Jan 30, 2013

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

(and can't post for 19 days!)

the complete 180 the public has taken on Soviet emigres really is breathtaking

Darkman Fanpage
Jul 4, 2012

Pener Kropoopkin posted:

what do you mean?

Darkman Fanpage
Jul 4, 2012
i mean i know how america turned on yakov smirnoff...

Atrocious Joe
Sep 2, 2011

Pener Kropoopkin posted:

we gotta send back Yasha Levine

Pener Kropoopkin
Jan 30, 2013

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Darkman Fanpage posted:

what do you mean?

on the new War Nerd they bring on Yasha to talk about US using immigrants as part of their soft power regime change strategy. so Soviet Jews used to be a protected and valued element of the American melting pot, but now because of Russiagate they’re all a 5th Column.

Darkman Fanpage
Jul 4, 2012

Pener Kropoopkin posted:

on the new War Nerd they bring on Yasha to talk about US using immigrants as part of their soft power regime change strategy. so Soviet Jews used to be a protected and valued element of the American melting pot, but now because of Russiagate they’re all a 5th Column.

oh yeah that lol yeah dems have gone batshit over russians and it'd be hilarious if it also wasnt so sad.

Atrocious Joe
Sep 2, 2011

Can't wait for Yasha to publish a piece about the Vietnamese-American exile assassination squad and then get death threats over it.

Frontline and ProPublica did some reporting about those killings a few years ago and a depressing amount of the coverage of the reporting was about how parts of the community were offended by it.

Pener Kropoopkin
Jan 30, 2013

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Death squads? IN MY COMMUNITY!? *monocle pop*

Phone
Jul 30, 2005

親子丼をほしい。

fits my needs posted:

https://twitter.com/charliearchy/status/1178754357359071232?s=21

brown Moses help toppled Bashar al Assad and now he’s focusing his sights on jimmy snore

incredible

Southpaugh
May 26, 2007

Smokey Bacon

lmao bewwingcat

gh0stpinballa
Mar 5, 2019

new ep, genghis khan + covering the betrayal of the kurds

THS
Sep 15, 2017

gh0stpinballa posted:

new ep, genghis khan + covering the betrayal of the kurds

almost too spooked to listen, i think everyone involved is too close to the Kurds. what a loving nightmare this is - i really wish they hadn't gambled on US support and had negotiated with Assad during the war

THS
Sep 15, 2017

remember when Barzani tried to gamble on an autonomy vote within Iraq and somehow lost all of their autonomy in that gamble by completely misreading the situation?

it feels like the SDF in Syria gambled again big and now they're trapped in hell.

StashAugustine
Mar 24, 2013

Do not trust in hope- it will betray you! Only faith and hatred sustain.

"Never trust the Americans, you never know when they'll stab themselves in the back."

Pener Kropoopkin
Jan 30, 2013

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

They should've scrambled to make a deal when Trump openly declared we'd pull out a few months ago.

Yadoppsi
May 10, 2009
How? The US prevented the SDF from participating in the SAA-FSA peace talks.

Pener Kropoopkin
Jan 30, 2013

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

https://twitter.com/CarlZha/status/1182700640524328960?s=20

Goast
Jul 23, 2011

by VideoGames

oh hell yeah

Atrocious Joe
Sep 2, 2011

man some people are shameless
https://twitter.com/michaeldweiss/status/1183164322257801216?s=20

shirts and skins
Jun 25, 2007

Good morning!

THS posted:

almost too spooked to listen, i think everyone involved is too close to the Kurds. what a loving nightmare this is - i really wish they hadn't gambled on US support and had negotiated with Assad during the war

God, seriously. This was one of the vanishingly few things they had some optimism about. It seemed like the SDF was actually building something. So loving enraging.

gh0stpinballa
Mar 5, 2019

oz katerji likewise feigning concern here in the uk even tho he has been a nusra propagandist for years

i say swears online
Mar 4, 2005

new ep, it's pretty dark

Phone
Jul 30, 2005

親子丼をほしい。
oh no... rwn newsletter with john praising the root editor michael harriott...

(the tweets he's referring to are fine, but if you check his work on the root there used to be a lot of "top 10 reasons why bernie can die in a fire")

e: the newsletter is good and cool

Phone has issued a correction as of 02:35 on Oct 30, 2019

i say swears online
Mar 4, 2005

extremely not impressed with dolan's interpretation of the house armenia vote

A Wizard of Goatse
Dec 14, 2014

Helsing posted:

I dunno, I love most of Dolan's writing and he scores some good points here but then there are paragraphs like this:

Calling Orwell a "reactionary" and praising Celine's "mad courge" in the specific context of choosing sides during the 1930s is vile. No one should praise Celine's conduct during the war, the man collaborated with the fascists and authored numerous anti-semitic texts. Setting him up as the more brave and dignified contrast to Orwell forced me to reevaluate the entire rest of the essay and makes me feel like I can't really trust Dolan here. His sullen bitching about Hitchen's criticizing Mother Theresa doesn't inspire much confidence either.

IIRC Dolan wrote his dissertation on Celine and every so often you'll see him indignantly snorting about shallow bourgeois minds who can't get over his fascism. It's real bad but his idea seems to be that Celine was really just a nihilist edgelord, which was everything Exile-era Dolan aspired to be in life

gh0stpinballa
Mar 5, 2019

https://twitter.com/theharryshearer/status/1190056317232136192

harry shearer confirmed war nerd subcriber

Phone
Jul 30, 2005

親子丼をほしい。
glenn kessler hours lmao

Joementum
May 23, 2004

jesus christ
:3:

https://twitter.com/MarkAmesExiled/status/1191904485460905986

echomadman
Aug 24, 2004

Nap Ghost
In the newest episode at the start, John talks about going to Venice and worries about climate change.

https://www.thejournal.ie/venice-flooded-high-tides-4889448-Nov2019/

The man must have pissed off an old gypsy at some point he's so cursed.

Pener Kropoopkin
Jan 30, 2013

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Mark Ames recovers the early history of neoliberalism in 1920s Italy and 1930s France. From the first proposal of "neo-liberalismo" in 1921 by Fascist thought-leader Massimo Rocca, and the Mussolini regime's liberal/"neo-liberal" austerity regime; to French intellectual Louis Rougier's 1938 conference in Paris founding and branding "neoliberalism" as a new political movement.

Darkman Fanpage
Jul 4, 2012
they call it third way for a reason

Joementum
May 23, 2004

jesus christ
Great episode but Mark taking his toddler to a chiropractor........... :gonk:

Crakkerjakk
Mar 14, 2016

Joementum posted:

Great episode but Mark taking his toddler to a chiropractor........... :gonk:

Yeah. Seriously.