Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

GoldStandardConure
Jun 11, 2010

I have to kill fast
and mayflies too slow

Pillbug

Anidav posted:

Julie "The Asbestos Queen" bishop

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Doctor Spaceman
Jul 6, 2010

"Everyone's entitled to their point of view, but that's seriously a weird one."

Anidav posted:

Julie "I wrecked forgien policy for 2 decades" bishop

Who cares about foreign policy? The voters who don't care and don't get a say, or the MPs who don't care but do get a say?

GoldStandardConure
Jun 11, 2010

I have to kill fast
and mayflies too slow

Pillbug
gently caress you julie bishop snipe

CrazyTolradi
Oct 2, 2011

It feels so good to be so bad.....at posting.

Julie Bishop is too smart to go for party leader, she'll sit as deputy and happily let the old boys club knife each other for the top job.

The Before Times
Mar 8, 2014

Once upon a time, I would have thrown you halfway to the moon for a crack like that.
Yeah, she's got a great portfolio, why the gently caress would she go in for party leader?

AgentF
May 11, 2009

BBJoey posted:

Julie Bishop.

Jesus Christ, when did this thread get so naive? Do you not remember the atmosphere when Kevin Rudd won in 2007? It was such a landslide the sitting PM lost his seat. The LNP was so bereft of talent their leader became Brendan Nelson of all people. After the next election, Labor was a minority in both Houses of Parliament.

Just lol if you think the LNP is going to lose this tax war. They’ve already won.

Agreedo. How can Labor convert a temporary boost to any sort of lasting success when almost the entire media landscape is against them?

birdstrike
Oct 30, 2008

i;m gay
aspiration was a good line for the lnp when the mining boom cash made everyone feel rich

it’s a lovely line in tyool2018 with wage growth the lowest in memory, despite low unemployment

GoldStandardConure
Jun 11, 2010

I have to kill fast
and mayflies too slow

Pillbug

CrazyTolradi posted:

Julie Bishop is too smart to go for party leader, she'll sit as deputy and happily let the old boys club knife each other for the top job.

She just needs to sit back and let the party burn itself to the ground as she knows she will survive.

CrazyTolradi
Oct 2, 2011

It feels so good to be so bad.....at posting.

GoldStandardConure posted:

She just needs to sit back and let the party burn itself to the ground as she knows she will survive.

Julie Bishop is T-1000 but made out of asbestos.

Sparticle
Oct 7, 2012

Julie Bishop will never be PM. She is too smart to push for leadership right now and even if she wanted to, it would still require a large portion of the Liberal party getting over the fact she is a woman. After two terms of Labor government she would have a chance but then she will be like 70. So on top of the sexism, she has to deal with people saying she is too old for the job. I'd imagine lots of people would use her age as their reasoning to hide that they just don't want a woman running the show.

GoldStandardConure
Jun 11, 2010

I have to kill fast
and mayflies too slow

Pillbug

CrazyTolradi posted:

Julie Bishop is T-1000 but made out of asbestos.

The T-1000 was nicer than her though.

Periphery
Jul 27, 2003
Someone should put powdered asbestos in Julie Bishop's cocaine supply.

E: Not really. It'd be a real shame.

JBP
Feb 16, 2017

You've got to know, to understand,
Baby, take me by my hand,
I'll lead you to the promised land.

Periphery posted:

Someone should put powdered asbestos in Julie Bishop's cocaine supply.

E: Not really. It'd be a real shame.

Don't waste good cocaine my dude.

Lid
Feb 18, 2005

And the mercy seat is awaiting,
And I think my head is burning,
And in a way I'm yearning,
To be done with all this measuring of proof.
An eye for an eye
And a tooth for a tooth,
And anyway I told the truth,
And I'm not afraid to die.
Opposition leader Luke Foley is under fire for promising to build the new Tweed Hospital on land owned by a developer who has donated tens of thousands of dollars to the NSW Labor party.

Mr Foley's commitment comes just days after the government was forced to go back to the drawing board after a widespread community backlash to its chosen site for the hospital in Cudgen, near Kingscliff.

In his budget reply speech, Mr Foley said a Labor government would build the new hospital at Kings Forest estate, owned by billionaire property developer Bob Ell.

In a bid to wedge the Coalition in the key marginal seat of Tweed, Mr Foley accused the government of delaying the new Tweed hospital "for too long".

But the government immediately seized on his commitment, accusing Labor of failing to follow due process and favouring a site owned by a Labor donor.

In a fiery question time on Thursday, deputy premier John Barilaro accused Mr Foley of being motivated by historic donations from Mr Ell's company, Leda Holdings, to NSW Labor.

"We've got a consultation process happening through the department of health in relation to sites ... but what we've heard this morning from the leader of the opposition is they have already picked a site," Mr Barilaro told the chamber.

"I question that Leda Holdings has donated at least $66,000 to the NSW Labor Party. Leda Holdings has donated at least $12,000 to the Queensland Labor Party."

Disclosures on the NSW electoral commission website reveal the most recent donation from Leda Holdings was made in 2007, prior to the introduction of laws banning developer donations to political parties.

The disclosures also reveal Leda Holdings has donated to the NSW Liberal Party, including a $25,000 donation in 2007.

Labor's health spokesman, Walt Secord, accused the government of hypocrisy, after it emerged this week that it was reconsidering the potential for the hospital to be built at the Kings Forest site.

"They, themselves, are in the middle of negotiations on the Kings Forest site," Mr Secord said.

The state government was forced to reconsider its initial decision to build the hospital at Cudgen, on the far north coast, following a widespread backlash from the local community.

You Am I
May 20, 2001

Me @ your poasting

NSW state party gotta keep on corrupting

The Peccadillo
Mar 4, 2013

We Have Important Work To Do

Sparticle posted:

Julie Bishop will never be PM. She is too smart to push for leadership right now and even if she wanted to, it would still require a large portion of the Liberal party getting over the fact she is a woman. After two terms of Labor government she would have a chance but then she will be like 70. So on top of the sexism, she has to deal with people saying she is too old for the job. I'd imagine lots of9 people would use her age as their reasoning to hide that they just don't want a woman running the show.

Actually she is a LNP devotee

bell jar
Feb 25, 2009

i don't know much about property but i assume most people who own vast enough amounts of land to clear it for a hospital have donated to either party at some point

but then again, nsw state party is also going to keep on corrupting. they don't make it difficult do they

ewe2
Jul 1, 2009

I dunno. Depending on how the election pans out I could well envisage Bishop as Opposition Leader just to play to the base. She's too intelligent to think it'll go anywhere but it might top up the nest egg before she waves goodbye and through the revolving door to extreme remuneration in the US, where most of her real friends are. She's from WA, she doesn't owe Easterners a thing. Or not, she might get a better offer before they desperately beg her to front for them.

bandaid.friend
Apr 25, 2017

:obama:My first car was a stick:obama:

Lid posted:

Disclosures on the NSW electoral commission website reveal the most recent donation from Leda Holdings was made in 2007, prior to the introduction of laws banning developer donations to political parties.

The disclosures also reveal Leda Holdings has donated to the NSW Liberal Party, including a $25,000 donation in 2007.

Labor's health spokesman, Walt Secord, accused the government of hypocrisy, after it emerged this week that it was reconsidering the potential for the hospital to be built at the Kings Forest site.

"They, themselves, are in the middle of negotiations on the Kings Forest site," Mr Secord said.

The state government was forced to reconsider its initial decision to build the hospital at Cudgen, on the far north coast, following a widespread backlash from the local community.

Hahaha

By the way they want to knock down 8 heritage buildings on the Parramatta site they want the Powerhouse on, which made the TV news

bandaid.friend
Apr 25, 2017

:obama:My first car was a stick:obama:
http://www.abc.net.au/news/2018-06-21/nsw-parliament--descends-into-chaos-with-accusations-of-bias/9895900

quote:

The Speaker of the New South Wales Parliament has been accused of "bias" and "irresponsible" behaviour after labelling several Labor MPs as "blockheads", "idiots" and "boofheads" during a rowdy Question Time.
The Lower House descended into chaos on the final sitting day before the mid-winter break as the Coalition and Labor squabbled over Opposition Leader Luke Foley's budget reply speech.
"You can all cluster out there and have a little bitch session", Speaker Shelley Hancock said after ejecting several Labor MPs from the bearpit.

Mr Daley said Speaker Hancock had ejected 263 Labor MPs from the chamber during question time since 2015, compared to no Liberal or National MPs.

Zenithe
Feb 25, 2013

Ask not to whom the Anidavatar belongs; it belongs to thee.

quote:

Mr Daley said Speaker Hancock had ejected 263 Labor MPs from the chamber during question time since 2015, compared to no Liberal or National MPs.

:eyepop:

Somebody is going after Bronnie's high score.

NTRabbit
Aug 15, 2012

i wear this armour to protect myself from the histrionics of hysterical women

bitches

In SA we built our new hospital on government land that only contained a 1980s vintage building for the railway hq

Jonah Galtberg
Feb 11, 2009

gonna let my greens membership expire at the end of the month

AgentF
May 11, 2009
Name a better political party. I'd still rather support the good guys who gently caress up every once in a while than the ones actively making things worse.

Anidav
Feb 25, 2010

ahhh fuck its the rats again

Jonah Galtberg posted:

gonna let my greens membership expire at the end of the month

Join the club

Jonah Galtberg
Feb 11, 2009

AgentF posted:

Name a better political party. I'd still rather support the good guys who gently caress up every once in a while than the ones actively making things worse.

also because i'm pretty broke

drunkill
Sep 25, 2007

me @ ur posting
Fallen Rib
https://twitter.com/DanielAndrewsMP/status/1009764443847192576

Victoria good?

AgentF
May 11, 2009

Jonah Galtberg posted:

also because i'm pretty broke

Don't worry. Everything will get better after you get that tax cut.

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017
Probation
Can't post for 22 hours!

NTRabbit posted:

In SA we built our new hospital on government land that only contained a 1980s vintage building for the railway hq

In my experience with 1980s architecture, it can't die fast enough

hambeet
Sep 13, 2002

Victoria: least worst state.

Tokamak
Dec 22, 2004

Breaking:
New South Wales parliament passes property developer treaty legislation

The Peccadillo
Mar 4, 2013

We Have Important Work To Do

AgentF posted:

Do good works and invest your labour into your community, is a much more worthwhile political investement

Cocomonk3
Oct 21, 2010

The Before Times posted:

I'm talking about affordable rentals, which it's going to take a while for that knock-on effect to happen (if it does at all, AirBnB seems to be absorbing a lot of the rental market in inner Melb). Mainly I want affordable rentals so I can save a deposit for those post-2020 rock bottom prices.

Maybe not an indication of anything major, but my rent has just been reduced again, without my asking.

I'm in an NRAS house, so it's automatically indexed to the area, and I'm paying almost $100 a week less than I was two years ago in Perth. It's.. affordable? Ish?

aejix
Sep 18, 2007

It's about finding that next group of core players we can win with in the next 6, 8, 10 years. Let's face it, it's hard for 20-, 21-, 22-year-olds to lead an NHL team. Look at the playoffs.

That quote is from fucking 2018. Fuck you Jim
Pillbug
Protect your cash from rat

https://www.theguardian.com/world/2018/jun/21/rats-break-into-india-atm-chew-up-cash

AgentF
May 11, 2009

The Peccadillo posted:

Do good works and invest your labour into your community, is a much more worthwhile political investement

Would like to hear more opinions on this. Although local charitable works is undoubtedly important, I've always thought there is value in working on the high-level, long-term fight as well. A single government decision to slash social security or imprison refugees or abolish HECS/HELP could offset the charitable work of hundreds of volunteers, right? It seems that politics is a harder, longer-term struggle, with few short-term results but still one that cannot afford to be ignored.

The Before Times
Mar 8, 2014

Once upon a time, I would have thrown you halfway to the moon for a crack like that.

Cocomonk3 posted:

Maybe not an indication of anything major, but my rent has just been reduced again, without my asking.

I'm in an NRAS house, so it's automatically indexed to the area, and I'm paying almost $100 a week less than I was two years ago in Perth. It's.. affordable? Ish?

Nice.

Although, the Perth market is veeeery different to a lot of the east coast markets. not surprised your rent is going down there.

Whitlam
Aug 2, 2014

Some goons overreact. Go figure.

Got yelled at for seven minutes by some crazy racist lady about this last week. I wonder if I'll hear from her again.

hambeet
Sep 13, 2002

AgentF posted:

Would like to hear more opinions on this. Although local charitable works is undoubtedly important, I've always thought there is value in working on the high-level, long-term fight as well. A single government decision to slash social security or imprison refugees or abolish HECS/HELP could offset the charitable work of hundreds of volunteers, right? It seems that politics is a harder, longer-term struggle, with few short-term results but still one that cannot afford to be ignored.

Just throwing some ideas out here:

Wouldn't funding more independent media be better long term? Like, if the Guardian ever had a broadsheet in Australia (they won't) I could see that having an effect on the political landscape over the long term.

Also what about funding politica advocacy/activist groups and not parties. Eg getup! Or a leftwing IPA (there is one or two, but I can't recall their names right now). If they've got well established values / mission they're less likely to shift over time as they're not running campaigns just to get themselves elected (so the risk of self interest is removed by at least one step.)

I'm interested in this too, because I let my Greens membership lapse late last year for a number of reasons and would rather put that money elsewhere.

Mr Chips
Jun 27, 2007
Whose arse do I have to blow smoke up to get rid of this baby?

The Before Times posted:

Nice.

Although, the Perth market is veeeery different to a lot of the east coast markets. not surprised your rent is going down there.

it's a good time to rent in Perth. I'm paying less for a 3 br house than I was for a 2br unit 5 years ago, and the house has a bonus of not being a complete dump with holes in the floor that let in the weather.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Starshark
Dec 22, 2005
Doctor Rope

quote:

Just wek's after Mr Urban's exit, Labor's first by-election candidate, Colleen Yates, quit the race when she admitted to misrepresenting her education history.

I see the editorial standards at the ABC are as good as ever.