Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Hammer Bro.
Jul 7, 2007

THUNDERDOME LOSER

Went 0-3 because I misread the ability of a mythic that I got two of (that's what I get for waking up at 4AM), but then trophied with an absolutely brutal G/W deck because both those colors were open. I'm talkin' 3x Trash the Town open.

Nice to get immediate karma.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Boco_T
Mar 12, 2003

la calaca tilica y flaca
500 free gold in the shop today

Khanstant
Apr 5, 2007

Cleretic posted:

To be clear I also want to make a white deck, it's just that the challenges are the main motivation. And yeah, the Rebel Armory deck is really good, but it's still the weakest of the decks I complete challenges with.

Also, where do I actually find some decent brews? Three Blind Mice or Elas il-Kor seem like they're right up my alley for 'gently caress it I'ma play frustrating', but I don't know where to actually find good decks to plug into this, especially if I'm opening the door to Alchemy format.

I like untapped.gg bc they can just scan your collection and you can quickly see which decks you can build or can't of any given archetype.

Judgy Fucker
Mar 24, 2006

Boco_T posted:

500 free gold in the shop today

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sr0gNJ090JA&t=15s

Time
Aug 1, 2011

It Was All A Dream

lol

Rogue AI Goddess
May 10, 2012

I enjoy the sight of humans on their knees.
That was a joke... unless..?

Khanstant posted:

I like untapped.gg bc they can just scan your collection and you can quickly see which decks you can build or can't of any given archetype.
Untapped.gg told me that I can build exactly one Standard deck out of my cards, and that it will have a 38% win rate.

Insurrectionist
May 21, 2007
Sometimes the magic gods give you busted mythics

Don't think Annie Joins Up is great here but I didn't have anything much better in the sideboard and I had to try it for the thematic element

E: 7-2 but I definitely threw one of the losses

Funnily enough my two trophies so far are this busted deck, and a UW deck with like 0 rares or mythics that just won off 2-drops, 4x Holy Cow and a bunch of instant-speed interaction

Insurrectionist fucked around with this message at 21:46 on Apr 19, 2024

Eeevil
Oct 28, 2010

Well obviously he didn't see it, or he'd be wearing a hardhat :colbert:
That 2/4 defender that sacs lands is surprisingly good when he doesn't get blown up by one of the many cards in the set with a free shatter stapled to it

Khanstant
Apr 5, 2007

Rogue AI Goddess posted:

Untapped.gg told me that I can build exactly one Standard deck out of my cards, and that it will have a 38% win rate.

Maybe you need more cards?

flatluigi
Apr 23, 2008

here come the planes
there should also be a filter that tells you what decks you can craft, so you can see effective decks that you're closer to building

but if you're just starting out I wouldn't stress about having an Optimal Deck in the first place

Khanstant
Apr 5, 2007
Ohh I missed that important fact. When I started out I had to take real deck lists and just edit them down to crap I actually had and it was basically a couple of aggro decks for a while, upgrading when I could or building up manabases to try other decks.

Rinkles
Oct 24, 2010

What I'm getting at is...
Do you feel the same way?
The power level back then was probably a fair bit lower too

CatstropheWaitress
Nov 26, 2017

This was a stupid draft, where every other pack had 2-3 solid GW cards. I think I ended up passing three Miriam's, but still ended up catching two not on the wheel. Was going for a Mount Matters deck, but am currently stuck figuring out what you cut from this.

Thinking Cornucopia, Bridled Bighorn, Spinewood Paladin... but what else?

flatluigi
Apr 23, 2008

here come the planes
here's what my general advice would be for new players to arena:
- lean into your preconstructed decks, they're going to be serviceable and as far as i'm aware the game only queues you up against other people playing those starter decks when you do (or there might be a dedicate queue for that)
- try out Jump In for deck ideas. it's relatively cheap, you keep the cards, and you're guaranteed some synergistic cards in colors that you get to choose, and you can play with a deck as much as you want if you find a pair you like. it's a bit more of a pain than it used to be these days bc sometimes people just find a very powerful pair and never retire it, but at least the last time i played it wasn't hard to find a more even match.
- play ranked instead of unranked, when you can. this is possibly a little unintiutive, but unranked will match you up to much stronger opponents than you'll face when you're just starting out on the ranked ladder.
- try out limited! once you're more familiar with how to actually play the game, you should try out playing sealed or draft when you can. it's going to be tough, but the more experience you have under your belt the better you'll play in the future & at the very least you've added all the cards you opened to your collection and have more options to deckbuild with
- branch out to other game modes. the two brawl modes are singleton formats and pretty amenable to small collections as the best decks get shuffled into their own queues and you'll get wins off of sheer variance sometimes. don't forget to spend two common wildcards on command tower and arcane signet, as you'll be putting them into just about every deck with a commander

now, you can get pretty far if you don't want to spend money on the game, but i'd be lying if i said it wouldn't push your progression/collection a lot faster if you did. don't spend money on wildcards, and i'd again recommend at least *trying* limited a few times as it can be the best return on your gems (to the point where people can net positive returns on gems if they're skilled enough). if you're not interested, though, you do get a decent return on buying packs these days since every 10 packs gets you a pack with some extra rares and mythics -- but it's still going to be less than you'll get playing limited on average

reignonyourparade
Nov 15, 2012
As far as spending money on the game goes, the best value in the game is the mastery pass, and once you've gotten the first one it almost pays for the next one, so there's a lot worse things you can spend your money on than an initial purchase of enough gems to get the mastery pass going.

flatluigi
Apr 23, 2008

here come the planes
the mastery pass is good *if* you're playing enough to complete it, which you only know as a new player if you've gotten to the end of one. i wouldn't recommend picking it up when you're just starting out, or at least waiting to get it if/when you've progressed far enough down it that you judge what you're getting from it to be a reasonable tradeoff

as a more established player yeah you should probably get it and seriously consider getting the other preorders whenever a new set drops if it fits into your gaming budget for the month

EclecticTastes
Sep 17, 2012

"Most plans are critically flawed by their own logic. A failure at any step will ruin everything after it. That's just basic cause and effect. It's easy for a good plan to fall apart. Therefore, a plan that has no attachment to logic cannot be stopped."

reignonyourparade posted:

As far as spending money on the game goes, the best value in the game is the mastery pass, and once you've gotten the first one it almost pays for the next one, so there's a lot worse things you can spend your money on than an initial purchase of enough gems to get the mastery pass going.

There are a couple one-time purchases for new players that you might want (assuming they're still up). If you decide you like the game, definitely get the Welcome Bundle, which is five bucks for 2500 gems and five packs. If you do even halfway decently in a draft (you get a free token from the tutorial), you'll have enough gems to buy the mastery that way. Then there's the Adventurer Bundle, which is fifteen bucks for 3500 gems and some cosmetics, which is enough for another mastery and then some. Between just those two packs, the occasional free gems in the store, and some limited play, I got the masteries for LCI, MKM, and OTJ, with about 1500 leftover, meaning it's pretty likely I'll be able to get the Bloomburrow mastery off of it, too.

But, as said, only get the masteries if you plan to play enough to finish them.

imagine dungeons
Jan 24, 2008

Like an arrow, I was only passing through.
I’ve never seen a 3 damage spell be more useless. Everything is a 2/4!

Thundercracker
Jun 25, 2004

Proudly serving the Ruinous Powers since as a veteran of the long war.
College Slice
Went 7-2 on OTJ premier. My feeling is that green is busted. You can get excellent stated creatures along with good card draw. Trash the Town is ridiculous in limited.

Plot is also way more fun mechanic than I expected. I plot all the time even if it's more expensive because getting that sweet synergy turn feels amazing.

reignonyourparade
Nov 15, 2012

EclecticTastes posted:

There are a couple one-time purchases for new players that you might want (assuming they're still up). If you decide you like the game, definitely get the Welcome Bundle, which is five bucks for 2500 gems and five packs. If you do even halfway decently in a draft (you get a free token from the tutorial), you'll have enough gems to buy the mastery that way. Then there's the Adventurer Bundle, which is fifteen bucks for 3500 gems and some cosmetics, which is enough for another mastery and then some. Between just those two packs, the occasional free gems in the store, and some limited play, I got the masteries for LCI, MKM, and OTJ, with about 1500 leftover, meaning it's pretty likely I'll be able to get the Bloomburrow mastery off of it, too.

But, as said, only get the masteries if you plan to play enough to finish them.

Eh, the lion's share of the mastery pass's value is frontloaded, even a merely MOSTLY completely mastery pass represents the best value available in the game.

EclecticTastes
Sep 17, 2012

"Most plans are critically flawed by their own logic. A failure at any step will ruin everything after it. That's just basic cause and effect. It's easy for a good plan to fall apart. Therefore, a plan that has no attachment to logic cannot be stopped."

Thundercracker posted:

Went 7-2 on OTJ premier. My feeling is that green is busted. You can get excellent stated creatures along with good card draw. Trash the Town is ridiculous in limited.

Plot is also way more fun mechanic than I expected. I plot all the time even if it's more expensive because getting that sweet synergy turn feels amazing.

I'm having fun using Jace, Reawakened as a play extender in my pirates deck, especially because people often mistake him for a wincon and spend removal on him that would have been way worse if it had hit one of my playmakers like Captain Storm or LCI Breeches, and I still get the plot off so I drop OTJ Malcolm/Breeches or a Roaming Throne and the plotted card the next turn.

wei
Jul 27, 2006

Thundercracker posted:

There are going to be a lot of board states where it's incorrect to plot. I want to say I've played creatures without plotting about a third of the time? It's a pretty nice skill-testing mechanic.

Boco_T
Mar 12, 2003

la calaca tilica y flaca
Day 1-2 of OTJ: 11 drafts, 20-33 record
Day 3-4 of OTJ: 5 drafts, 27-13 record
somehow, I climbed out of that -13 hole and am now on a record of 47-46
so if you're not doing well at first, it IS possible to turn it around

Khanstant
Apr 5, 2007
Just had a 6 win draft!! I'd be more excited, but I either lost that final match because Archangel of Tithes does not work as advertised, or I'm a goober and I missed something about the card or board. Otherwise it was a surprisingly good Boros deck, kinda thought I'd just lose 3x and try to make a green one like the decks I usually lose to lol.

I felt like a brain genius at first in the match because I used a prison card on their 2 drop who could make a treasure. First because seemed like that could get out of hand really quick and they already used it to cheat out something else early. And because I was hoping they were dry and I could just hobble them at 3 lands, and I did! For a while. They had a bunch of removal, mostly removal and crimes, and played them well 6 win people are scary. But I think I would've won if not for Archangel whiffing because ??? and it was all lost after that, kinda hosed up my gameplan and they finally got land and a strong board.

All things considered I could've lost at 5 wins because I kept forgetting the big scary horse needs to be saddled to do its trick, not just attack. Even my opponent GG'd and then seemed confused and glad I gave them an out through misplay.

Whooping Crabs
Apr 13, 2010

Sorry for the derail but I fuckin love me some racoons

Khanstant posted:

Just had a 6 win draft!! I'd be more excited, but I either lost that final match because Archangel of Tithes does not work as advertised, or I'm a goober and I missed something about the card or board. Otherwise it was a surprisingly good Boros deck, kinda thought I'd just lose 3x and try to make a green one like the decks I usually lose to lol.

I felt like a brain genius at first in the match because I used a prison card on their 2 drop who could make a treasure. First because seemed like that could get out of hand really quick and they already used it to cheat out something else early. And because I was hoping they were dry and I could just hobble them at 3 lands, and I did! For a while. They had a bunch of removal, mostly removal and crimes, and played them well 6 win people are scary. But I think I would've won if not for Archangel whiffing because ??? and it was all lost after that, kinda hosed up my gameplan and they finally got land and a strong board.

All things considered I could've lost at 5 wins because I kept forgetting the big scary horse needs to be saddled to do its trick, not just attack. Even my opponent GG'd and then seemed confused and glad I gave them an out through misplay.

Nice job on 6 wins. Archangel needs to be untapped to tax attacking creatures if that's what happened

GrandpaPants
Feb 13, 2006

Free to roam the heavens in man's noble quest to investigate the weirdness of the universe!

Did my first OTJ draft that was a terrible draft, except for one game where the opponent shame conceded for using great train heist incorrectly (apparently you need to use it during the combat phase for the additional combat phase) and one game where I somehow got Taii Wakeen and a dueling deadshot combo going. Desert + deadshot did 14 damage in one turn lol.

Maybe draft 2 will be better!

CharlieFoxtrot
Mar 27, 2007

organize digital employees

LLU: OTJ State of the Format
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YMdHfeUUrsA

This format is big enough that Alex will have to do another overview in a few weeks lol.

The Big Picture
Green is the most powerful color.
All the green rares are busted and almost all A-level rares. If you open a good green card, might as well force it. The best uncommon is Outcaster Greenblade (2G 1/2, search for land, buffed by deserts). Also great, Spinewoods Armadillo and Beastbond Outcaster. Top common is Throw from the Saddle (1G Sorcery bite). (The mount deck is pretty strong so extra synergy).

Black is nearly as good.
(The so-called “Lords of Limited” think it’s the best actually). Alex notes its rares are not as good and it’s less deep. Has great removal.

Red and Blue trail the pack.
Not deep, weak removal.

Plot Cards are difficult to play.
The win rates are lower because of their versatility. You have to decide: is this game about value or tempo? Plot cards will be lower WR because lots of players will mess up this decision, or even basic sequencing. For example, don’t play Irascible Wolverine after your make your land drop! So if you think you have a handle of play patterns, don’t be too reliant on their GIHWR.

Removal is very strong in this format.
Alex normally thinks people overvalue removal over good creatures because people have confirmation bias about facing bombs. But in OTJ the good removal spells are necessary, you need more than the 1-2 basis from previous formats. You want 5-6. Most of the bombs are answerable by removal; they don’t have protection or frontloaded unbeatable value. Even though you’ll have more removal, you should still try to hold one for the bombs.

You might even want to first pick the strong removal – Throw from the Saddle, Consuming Ashes (normally clunky but exile is relevant), Desert’s Due (deserts are important), Shoot the Sheriff (although there are a lot of Outlaws, but the rares are less likely to be so this is playable), Mystical Tether (there is a bit of enchantment removal so this can be blown up). Blue and red are also weak in removal; Stop Cold is serviceable but not that efficient, Thunder Salvo is an clunky Shock-plus, Trick Shot is too expensive and puts you behind.

Aggro is weaker than usual.
Red only has one 2-drop and it’s a pinger, not a beater. White’s 2-drops are more defensive too. Green actually has better 2-drops that can attack. There are a lot of cards that stop aggro gameplay; Spinewoods Paladin shuts the board down and gains life. There are also token makers like Prickly Pair that gum up the board. The combat tricks are also weaker. Quick Draw is not great; Take Up the Shield is good, Snakeskin Veil is more of a protection spell.

There’s a narrow band of aggression in RG and WG, mainly buoyed by how good green’s creatures are. Trained Arynx (1W) is a good attacker. Sterling Supplier (4W) is a solid top-end for aggro, as is Stagecoach Security (4W). (The fact you need to get to 5 with your aggro deck is a bad sign lol). The Mount Deck (Miriam) is very good. Mercenaries in red also help. Reckless Lackey (R) is an underperformer in aggro though, it gets walled off and you can’t buff or boost it very well.

Lands are important.
Take dual deserts pretty highly, maybe around pick 3 or 4 if it makes sense. They will usually have a good use in terms of fixing or pinging to trigger crimes. BG dual lands enable the desert payoffs: Desert’s Due in B and Cactarantula in G. These lands are up there with the top performing commons (Festering Gulch is a top ten common right now). The gold deserts are less important but still useful. Bucolic Ranch in the Mounts deck is a force multiplier that you pick highly if you’re in that lane. Arid Archway is not great; the colorless is too great of a cost if you have double pips in your deck. It can be good to pick up pinging deserts for more crimes, though.

Archetypes

GW Mounts
Miriam, Herd Whisperer and Congregation Gryff are super-strong. Most of the mounts are great cards on their own and then synergize to be stronger together. Strong commons: Trained Arynx, Giant Beaver, Drover Grizzly are all great. Bridled Bighorn is mid, though. The uncommons are also strong: Rambling Possum is great. It has the most trick/blowout potential with Snakeskin Veil and Take Up the Shield. Seraphic Steed is a bomb and slam pick force this archetype if you open it.

GB Value
Three very strong uncommons: Badlands Revival (card advantage/reanimation), Honest Rutstein (regrowth/acceleration), and Back for More (instant reanimation/removal) from the bonus sheet. Spinewoods Armadillo gets into your graveyard easily for value and can be reanimated early. Desperate Bloodseeker and Patient Naturalist help stock the graveyard. Mourner’s Surprise lets you gravedig and adds to the board. Hollow Marauder can come out early, squeezes your opponent’s hand/gives you advantage, and starts beating in the air.

UG Plot
The issue with Plot is that there’s not a huge amount of support, so Plot Matters cards like Dock Aurlock don’t get too much value. This archetype is weakened further because BG can easily splash the good U cards.

RG Stompy
4 power matters. Cactusfolk Sureshot, and Jolene Plundering Puglist are very good, and this synergy is well-supported. Take the good green and red creatures and then get some removal = profit.

RB Outlaws
At Knifepoint and Vial Smasher are okay. This archetype is overdrafted and underperforming. Rakish Crew is a good outlaw card but the synergy isn’t overpowering. This is not a very aggressive deck and is more controlling.

UB Crimes
Lazav is good. Intimidation Campaign is a “go off king.” A Grixis pile is very doable, but you’ll probably prioritize one of these two pairs. The crime synergy is not supported very well at common so you need rares and uncommons that care. Raven of Fell Omens needs a lot of crime triggers. If you can’t trigger it every turn, it’s not worth it.

WB Sacrifice
Ruthless Lawbringer is very good and works well with Mourner’s Surprise for massive blowouts. Baron Bertram Graywater looks like it does stuff but it’s a 4-mana does nothing ETB with no protection. This pair is poorly positioned in the format. It wants to eke out value when the other decks are going way over the top. You have to have uncommons and rares to make this work. “You’re bringing a knife to a gunfight.” – Alex Nikolic

RW Aggro
The coyote and the roadrunner are good. You need 6-7 good 2-drops to make this work, and there is a dearth of them this set. The gold uncommons like Ertha Jo and Form a Posse are good. But the latter card is actually better in a green deck as a splash lol. If you open the Ox card Bruse Tarl then maybe, but you could also splash that in green too lol.

UW Control
Cares about not casting from your hand on your turn (plotting/instants on opponent’s turn). This is hard to draft and hard to play. Jem Lightfoote and Wrangler of the Damned are pretty good if you have a deck that’s built right. This seems high potential but can be a disaster. At some point you’ll have to play it when green is throttled.

UR Multispells
Creatures suck, and removal sucks, and it’s the worst-performing pair. Kraum is not very good; hard to get it set up, the payoff is not great. You probably cannot play a tempo game; it will be more controlling. You’ll want counterspells. You want to leave your mana up at the end of your turn. Experts only!

Top Commons

Green: Giant Beaver, Bristlepack Sentry, Patient Naturalist, Cactarantura, Spinewoods Paladin, (both the 5 drops are good, you might actually want more top-end. You need to outlast your opponent). Throw from the Saddle, Tumbleweed Rising (can be tons of power/toughness), Dance of the Tumbleweeds (for ramp decks).

Hardbristle Bandit “outstays its welcome”; if you draw it late it feels bad. Not great in green midrange but if you need the splash in a multicolor deck, you need it.

Black: Consuming Ashes, Desert’s Due, Mourner’s Surprise. Fake Your Own Death is a good trick where you use every effect, especially great in ETB heavy decks. . Vault Plunderer is a solid card. Ambush Gigapede is a solid removal+defender.

White: Trained Arynx, Mystical Tether.

Holy Cow reads like it could be great but it’s more of a C card. This is not Inspiring Overseer lmao. Vengeful Townsfolk is ok, a bit more expensive than the usual version of these cards.

Eriette’s Lullaby and Steer Clear are bad (even in the mount deck).

Red (lmao there’s only three here and Alex laughs about it): Deadeye Duelist (need crimes), Prickly Pair, Irascible Wolverine.

Blue: Phantom Interference is a decent card. People think plot weakens the counterspell, but you can still counter the spell they have to spend mana on. Geyser Drake goes in the don’t tap out deck. Loan Shark goes in the multispell/ramp deck. Marauding Sphinx is very strong. Blue control decks want it as the finisher. Don’t get into heavy blue just because you get passed this though.

Edit: early days but.. yeah his big point seems obviously correct lol

Edit 2: Oh yeah here's Alex's tier list
https://www.17lands.com/tier_list/5547622369bc4344b90b1cceabdf84b6

CharlieFoxtrot fucked around with this message at 06:19 on Apr 20, 2024

Rinkles
Oct 24, 2010

What I'm getting at is...
Do you feel the same way?

CharlieFoxtrot posted:

Edit: early days but.. yeah his big point seems obviously correct lol

wasn't this thread mocking a goon for losing to overwhelming forces a little while ago?

SLUM KING
Nov 16, 2011

L
P

Lone Goat
Apr 16, 2003

When life gives you lemons, suplex those lemons.

Rinkles posted:

wasn't this thread mocking a goon for losing to overwhelming forces a little while ago?

no

CharlieFoxtrot
Mar 27, 2007

CharlieFoxtrot posted:

Also went 2-3. 2 of those three losses were to Bonny Pall so I now have a scapegoat for this set lol

I am also laughing that my gut salty reaction has been borne out by the data

Khanstant
Apr 5, 2007

Whooping Crabs posted:

Nice job on 6 wins. Archangel needs to be untapped to tax attacking creatures if that's what happened

The opposite, Angel was attacking and would be regardless, but I also sent in several others assuming my opponent would not be able to rouch them as they were tapped out, no treasures or mana rocks.

After I drafted another deck, gruul, and I drafted 3 of the dude that failed my angel plan. I mistook one cactus person for another, and they must have tapped cactus person to pay to get block my things in bad trades. Die and learn!

In hindsight, I could've played differently and at least had a fighting chance on the turns I just failed. But that's also with knowing I'd be drawing lands the rest the game.

I also played a handful of standard with a deck called Yore Reanimator that had no Yore card. I won once with a couple of flying 5/5s and the rest from bored opponents tired of me trying to figure out what I'm supposed to be doing, which ended up being drawing and scrying and discarding and milling until my big freaks can be made or pulled out. TBH if I didn't waste my last 4 rate WCs for the Rakdos joined up I'd probably delete it but I think with some tweaks or maybe just one or two more creatures it could be more fun.

CharlieFoxtrot
Mar 27, 2007

Rinkles posted:

It was the paper thread where Overwhelming Forces came up, one person said it's your fault for losing to an 8 mana spell.

It is a pretty cracked card though

flatluigi
Apr 23, 2008

here come the planes
getting an eight mana spell off in limited should win you the game tbqh

CharlieFoxtrot
Mar 27, 2007

So I wanted to put my studying to the test and went into an OTJ Draft.

https://17lands.com/draft/1bbcf7bf3f854d619ef2641cfdb9a282
Uh lol, so I basically got shipped a mono-G deck?

I think there was an interesting inflection point at P2P3 and P2P4 since there were multiple good options.

P2P3: Even though I had a smattering of black, Seraphic Steed seemed like a bomb that was worth at least splashing for. Cactarantula, Consuming Ashes, and Festering Gulch were also in the mix.
P2P4: I had one Bucolic Ranch already, but just getting the Steed made me think I should get another one, over Back for More? If I had known I would see 2 more of them I would have gone the other way lol. I guess I didn't think about Outcaster Greenblade being fixing already as well.

In building, I am guessing leaning into heavy green and the filler cards Freestrider Commando and Reach for the Sky would be better than increasing my B needs with Shoot the Sheriff and a Raven? I think Hollow Marauder is powerful enough to warrant the splash, I guess. Being basically mono-G means I can play all the Ranches, I think.

Re: "Plot cards are difficult to play"... I have a few of those but it's not a main theme. I guess if I don't need the P/T on the board I can plot Outcaster until I can trigger it. Freestrider Commando's plot seems awkward and I don't think I'm gonna force it. I can't really foresee plotting Spinewoods Paladin?

(Also lol I had to turn off the Untapped LSV ratings because they were turned on for some reason and his evaluations seem completely whacked? I passed a Calamity, Galloping Inferno after hovering over it for a bit and LSV gave it a 5.0... it has a 55.4% GIHWR rn...)

CharlieFoxtrot fucked around with this message at 07:20 on Apr 20, 2024

GrandpaPants
Feb 13, 2006

Free to roam the heavens in man's noble quest to investigate the weirdness of the universe!

7-2 on Draft 2, hell yeah!

Bonny Pall is loving ridiculous. Bonny Pall with a Cactusfolk on the board is game.

Edit: Shout out to the player who got a Prairie Dog and nothing but plot cards and counters. I don't know what else was in your deck but I didn't like what I saw.

GrandpaPants fucked around with this message at 08:49 on Apr 20, 2024

Insurrectionist
May 21, 2007

CharlieFoxtrot posted:

LLU: OTJ State of the Format

I haven't had the time to listen yet so maybe he addresses this but I'm surprised to see UW listed as its advertised archetype of control when it is 100% a tempo deck. And I believe that is a fairly common take among The Content Creators because I heard it from one of them first (I think one of the LOL dudes?) before trying and being converted myself. Just getting 3+ quenches with upside, all the Holy Cows you can get, some 2-drops to get on the board and the good white removal puts you in a really good spot. Only bad thing is you are even more affected by being on the draw than average.

E: like basically ignore the signposts because A: they are bad and B: they don't play to what your deck wants to do at all, Jem doesn't even have flash lol. Tapping out on T4? :cmon:

You can probably draft it control too though, but IDK how you ever beat green if you do that

Insurrectionist fucked around with this message at 09:27 on Apr 20, 2024

Tezzeract
Dec 25, 2007

Think I took a wrong turn...
How's the set so far?

I played a little bit of the midweek Jump-in and it seemed ok? I was planning on taking break but would get pulled back in this set is an all timer

DrManiac
Feb 29, 2012

I really wish this game had better catch up mechanics. It sucks not being able to play all these decks I'm seeing because they need a billion rares.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Chamale
Jul 11, 2010

I'm helping!

Does anyone here play Arena on a smartphone? Is the interface reasonably useable, and do my saved decks automatically transfer over from my PC account?