Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Paradoxish
Dec 19, 2003

Will you stop going crazy in there?
I'm guessing the at-home testing availability situation is still about as bad as it's been, right?

Just found out my gf's mom is freaking out a little bit and wants some test kits. We haven't really been buying them because our exposure risks are pretty much non-existent, but now I'm kicking myself. Are there any good sources left for these things or should I just save myself the trouble

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

wash bucket
Feb 21, 2006

lol have y'all noticed how many of your sentences start with "lmao" and "lol" lately?

Nonsense
Jan 26, 2007

lmao that parents wanted their crotch spawns out of the house and threatened teachers lives if they didn't do their jobs, now it doesn't even matter

Nonsense
Jan 26, 2007

McCracAttack posted:

lol have y'all noticed how many of your sentences start with "lmao" and "lol" lately?

AppleNippleBOB
May 13, 2007

Paradoxish posted:

I'm guessing the at-home testing availability situation is still about as bad as it's been, right?

Just found out my gf's mom is freaking out a little bit and wants some test kits. We haven't really been buying them because our exposure risks are pretty much non-existent, but now I'm kicking myself. Are there any good sources left for these things or should I just save myself the trouble

price has gone up, and it'll likely be weeks before they're delivered - but this place still sells them https://ihealthlabs.com/

A lot of goons suggest checking sam's club/walmart's online inventory of stores near you. Not really sure how that'll pan out, but if you get some of those ihealth kits now, they'll be around for the next wave

Oglethorpe
Aug 8, 2005

Zurtilik posted:

How many beds does Kentucky have left?

https://chfs.ky.gov/agencies/dph/covid19/COVID19DailyReport.pdf

According to the state daily report, 140 ICU beds (and 3800 inpatient beds)

This NYT map for major cities listing the hospital data is more fire:

Nichael
Mar 30, 2011

McCracAttack posted:

Nonsense posted:

lmao that parents wanted their crotch spawns out of the house and threatened teachers lives if they didn't do their jobs, now it doesn't even matter

rofl

Louisgod
Sep 25, 2003

Always Watching
Bread Liar

kreeningsons posted:

enhanced this even though it doesn't really need to be

lol

RoboChrist 9000
Dec 14, 2006

Mater Dolorosa

Paradoxish posted:

I don't know where you live but as of at least this past Tuesday, much to my shock, my local Walgreens had a bunch of the Abbot tests in stock. Picked up a pair. They were kept behind the counter though and you had to ask for them - they weren't even like displayed or anything back there.

I'm in the Bronx, for context. When my local 7/11 briefly got some in (the Flow...something? I forgot the brand name) they made a big deal of it with a sign outside and a sign inside, and sold out within 48 hours. So it seems at least from how things are being done near me, that some places quietly have them?

cr0y
Mar 24, 2005

My triple shot sister is now on day 9 of being sick.

Mild.

Glumwheels
Jan 25, 2003

https://twitter.com/BidenHQ

Harry Potter on Ice posted:

:thunk: hes really doing all that he can you really gotta hand it to him

I’m not saying that but seriously we’ll never get anywhere remotely close to china’s management, no matter what Biden does he’s gonna be overruled by the chudges. When all they can do are half asses gestures of guidance that red states and counties refuse to support what else is left?

Zeriel
Nov 6, 2004

Buttchocks posted:

They will send everyone a Number 10 envelope containing a string that you use to tie the envelope around your face.

Nichael
Mar 30, 2011

Glumwheels posted:

I’m not saying that but seriously we’ll never get anywhere remotely close to china’s management, no matter what Biden does he’s gonna be overruled by the chudges. When all they can do are half asses gestures of guidance that red states and counties refuse to support what else is left?

it's weird how these impotency problems didn't exist for trump or bush

whiskey patrol
Feb 26, 2003
In a completely expected turn of events: my kid's preschool teacher is out with COVID and it's shutting down for 2 weeks. He got exposed on his first day of school. lol lmao

Paradoxish
Dec 19, 2003

Nichael posted:

Great news everyone!

goth smoking cloves
Feb 28, 2011

McCracAttack posted:

I bet google or some other data mining company could track the severity of covid outbreaks simply on the number of messages/status updates/tweets in the area that begin or end with "lol or "lmao".

sleep with the vicious
Apr 2, 2010
Bill Gates says 'COVID can be treated more like seasonal flu' after Omicron surge peaks

"Once Omicron goes through a country, then the rest of the year should see far fewer cases," Gates told University of Edinburgh chair of global public health Devi Sridhar during a Twitter Q&A this week. "So COVID can be treated more like seasonal flu."

But that doesn't mean we're in the clear just yet: Hospitalizations and deaths from COVID lag infection time by several weeks.

Dolphin
Dec 5, 2008

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

RoboChrist 9000 posted:

Sending people masks would also establish the bad precedent that the government is responsible for at 'best' pandemic mitigation and at 'worst' actually ensuring that Americans do not die of easily prevented caused.

Today it's masks, tomorrow it's food and shelter.
this makes me think of what the government will do when we have famines

but i don't have to wonder, because the answer is obviously loving nothing

RoboChrist 9000
Dec 14, 2006

Mater Dolorosa

Glumwheels posted:

Even in the most pessimistic and cynical POV Biden had at least two options: go down in history as the heroic president who tried and failed (due to the obstruction efforts of the GOP and his own party) to do the right thing, or go down as one of the worst presidents in history who did literally nothing while the union collapsed.

I agree that America is a failed state full of monstrous people and that realistically even if Biden was one of us the odds are he'd be unable to *accomplish* much, but there is absolutely a lot more he could be doing.

Paradoxish
Dec 19, 2003

AppleNippleBOB posted:

price has gone up, and it'll likely be weeks before they're delivered - but this place still sells them https://ihealthlabs.com/

A lot of goons suggest checking sam's club/walmart's online inventory of stores near you. Not really sure how that'll pan out, but if you get some of those ihealth kits now, they'll be around for the next wave

RoboChrist 9000 posted:

I don't know where you live but as of at least this past Tuesday, much to my shock, my local Walgreens had a bunch of the Abbot tests in stock. Picked up a pair. They were kept behind the counter though and you had to ask for them - they weren't even like displayed or anything back there.

I'm in the Bronx, for context. When my local 7/11 briefly got some in (the Flow...something? I forgot the brand name) they made a big deal of it with a sign outside and a sign inside, and sold out within 48 hours. So it seems at least from how things are being done near me, that some places quietly have them?

Thanks dudes. Guess I might as well make some pharmacy runs later tonight and also order a few of the ihealth kits as a backup.

MMania
May 7, 2008
No one is going to notice when hospitals collapse, by the way. In Nov 2019 I waited 17 hours in an ER hallway, and it has never occurred to me that my experience was some sort of 'one in a million' thing. In loving Massachusetts, home of Mass General, Dana Farber, and Brigham & Women's (although the particular ER I went to was gently caress-you-and-die-you-poors Lawrence General).

Just this over and over again until everyone standing anywhere near the edge of the cliff gets pushed off;
Cases are going up but hospitalizations are fine.
Hospitalizations are up but not deaths.
Cases are going down.

Hahaha lol!

Nonsense
Jan 26, 2007

I don’t think Fauci appreciates how hated he is.

fosborb
Dec 15, 2006

Chronic Good Poster

kreeningsons posted:

god drat

Zodium
Jun 19, 2004

Louisgod posted:

the world will be run by the 53 pureblood cspam posters who refused to leave their dwellings all while humans around them evolved into Idiocracy characters

someone in this thread pointed out that in idiocracy, the government got the smartest person in the world to fix the problem, which nobody disputed was a problem, and I think a lot about that.

Paradoxish
Dec 19, 2003

Zodium posted:

someone in this thread pointed out that in idiocracy, the government got the smartest person in the world to fix the problem, which nobody disputed was a problem, and I think a lot about that.

idiocracy is absolutely one of those movies that accidentally misses its mark by being way too optimistic

Pulcinella
Feb 15, 2019

mastershakeman posted:

It's probably like the Chicago emergency fund which absolutely totally has millions of dollars in it and no you can't see it and we aren't going to use it but we swear no one stole it

Reminds me of the Texas “Rainy Day Fund” which the Republican state legislature will never spend, even when it’s their buddies’ oil refineries getting wiped out in a hurricane.

Shyfted One
May 9, 2008

kreeningsons posted:

drat

platzapS
Aug 4, 2007

I made a flier to pass out with plastic-wrapped n95s. Anything vital you'd add, or misleading you'd cut?
====
[title, in a larger font:] Covid floats through the air, like smoke.

Protect yourself with N95 masks. These are much better than surgical or cloth.

Get as much of an airtight seal as possible, but don’t stress yourself—even a poorly worn N95 is better than a surgical or cloth.

Where to get: Paint section of a hardware store, or online.

How to put on:
1) Let the straps hang down forward, and cup the mask to it cover your chin and the bridge of your nose.
2) Adjust the nosepiece/wire so it fits your nose snugly.
3) Take the top strap and place it high on the back of your head, with straps above the ears.
4) Secure the bottom strap behind your head below your ears

When to replace: Throw away your mask if it’s dirty, wet, or fraying or you aren’t getting a seal. Otherwise you can dry them out in paper bags and reuse them up to 40 hours.

(TIPS: Facial hair creates gaps in the sides that let in some unfiltered air. Eyeglasses fogging up is another sign of leaks. Try adjusting the nose clip. There are lots of different N95 brands, so if it isn’t fitting try another. Get extra protection with open windows/doors and HEPA room filters)
===

Kylaer posted:

#3 under your hair/against the skin of your neck.

For long-haired people, a common mistake seems to be trying to wear the strap over their hair and it puts more tension on the strap than you need or want.

e2: If you translate this into good Spanish I will buy you up to $25 of forums stuff

platzapS fucked around with this message at 22:27 on Jan 13, 2022

Zisky
May 6, 2003

PM me and I will show you my tits

Paradoxish posted:

idiocracy is absolutely one of those movies that accidentally misses its mark by being way too optimistic

President Camacho would absolutely do a better job than what we got.

NeonPunk
Dec 21, 2020

Anyone else notice that it seems like people are now getting reinfections much sooner than expected?

I know a dumbass (two shots) who got slightly sick few days after Thanksgiving and tested positive. Tested negative later on, and now he just got another positive test yesterday and he's much, much sicker now.

I sure hope that Omicron is reinfecting people much easier and earlier compared to the other variants because the other explanation is much much more dire and horrific lmao

Penisaurus Sex
Feb 3, 2009

asdfghjklpoiuyt

Glumwheels posted:

Judges have no power to actually enforce any decision against the federal government.

Kylaer
Aug 4, 2007
I'm SURE walking around in a respirator at all times in an (even more) OPEN BIDENing society is definitely not a recipe for disaster and anyone that's not cool with getting harassed by CHUDs are cave dwellers. I've got good brain!

platzapS posted:

4) Secure the bottom strap behind your head below your ears under your hair/against the skin of your neck.

For long-haired people, a common mistake seems to be trying to wear the strap over their hair and it puts more tension on the strap than you need or want.

Paradoxish
Dec 19, 2003

NeonPunk posted:

Anyone else notice that it seems like people are now getting reinfections much sooner than expected?

I know a dumbass (two shots) who got slightly sick few days after Thanksgiving and tested positive. Tested negative later on, and now he just got another positive test yesterday and he's much, much sicker now.

I sure hope that Omicron is reinfecting people much easier and earlier compared to the other variants because the other explanation is much much more dire and horrific lmao

The problem is that I don't think anyone knows what's "expected" when it comes to reinfection. Reinfection is something that nobody wants to talk about, but we knew it was happening by the middle of 2020.

Notorious R.I.M.
Jan 27, 2004

up to my ass in alligators

NeonPunk posted:

Delta -> Omicron.

Zisky
May 6, 2003

PM me and I will show you my tits
Yep, no appointments available anywhere for the free tests they want us to take. GTFO work.

RoboChrist 9000
Dec 14, 2006

Mater Dolorosa
The gently caress are you all on about. You can't get COVID more than once! I mean if you could, that would mean the entire strategy of herd immunity by way of prior infection and just letting the virus run wild throughout the West would be at best literal insanity, and at worst a deliberate mass murder on a scale that dwarfs the Holocaust.

Bob Socko
Feb 20, 2001

AppleNippleBOB posted:

I ordered two pair this past Sunday. They quoted me 10 days until shipment, but got it out in 2 or 3 with delivery scheduled for this Saturday. Maybe they're doing the underpromise and overdeliver thing? Maybe things have gotten exponentially worse in the past few days? Who knows! Good timing on my part though, I guess.

Chad Sexington
May 26, 2005

I think he made a beautiful post and did a great job and he is good.

empty whippet box posted:

I would be incredibly rude to this person if they were my friend lol. I would have just responded 'if you care about your baby, or your wife, you won't go to that game' and would have gotten more rude and confrontational about it with every response that wasn't him saying 'yea, you're right, I'm gonna cancel'

I had to stop doing that because then people just wouldn't talk to me, let alone actually hear the advice I was offering.

PostNouveau
Sep 3, 2011

VY till I die
Grimey Drawer
Every teacher I know (except for the one who is super vigilant about wearing an N95 all the time) got COVID within days of school starting back.

NeonPunk posted:

The first one was Delta

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Nonsense
Jan 26, 2007

This is a pandemic of the willing.