Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Nichael
Mar 30, 2011

Paradoxish posted:

we declare COVID over (again)

Great news everyone!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Notorious R.I.M.
Jan 27, 2004

up to my ass in alligators

empty whippet box posted:

is this a thing? I thought j&j was lovely compared to the others.

Yes it's a thing, but the optimal strategy isn't clear. In general, boosting with different vaccines confers much better protection than boosting with the same vaccine. The term for this strategy is called Heterologous Prime-boost.

mastershakeman
Oct 28, 2008

by vyelkin

FizFashizzle posted:

Can’t believe students don’t want to risk their life for a worthless degree and decades of debt.

More like they don't want to go into debt if they can't make friends and party easily

ThatBasqueGuy
Feb 14, 2013

someone introduce jojo to lazyb

A nursing syndicate forming right now would cause a huge rupture lmfao

Iron Crowned
May 6, 2003

by Hand Knit

Louisgod posted:

the world will be run by the 53 pureblood cspam posters who refused to leave their dwellings all while humans around them evolved into Idiocracy characters

It's finally my time to shine!

RoboChrist 9000
Dec 14, 2006

Mater Dolorosa
Sending people masks would also establish the bad precedent that the government is responsible for at 'best' pandemic mitigation and at 'worst' actually ensuring that Americans do not die of easily prevented caused.

Today it's masks, tomorrow it's food and shelter.

AppleNippleBOB
May 13, 2007

mastershakeman posted:

They don't have any plus the post office isn't staffed enough to deliver them

Also they would want to whine that Congress has to appropriate funds for that first

They constantly cite that three are 750+ million n95s in the strategic reserve.

No, those aren't for us.

Louisgod
Sep 25, 2003

Always Watching
Bread Liar

nexous posted:

my work meetings are all missing about 50% of people cause theyre out with covid. its making the meetings much more effective

so far I've counted five people with this status today alone

Glumwheels
Jan 25, 2003

https://twitter.com/BidenHQ

Deceptive Thinker posted:

wtf have they been doing for a year?

So I think it’s obvious, Biden and team thought the vaccine would be the end of it last year and we moved into the Summer of Open Biden where the bandaid was ripped off and evryone was expected to return to normal which it mostly did. Companies were planning to slowly reopen and force people back to the office etc. Then Delta came along and hosed that up but instead of doing anything Fauci/Wallenski/Biden admin still relied entirely on the vaccines which were proving increasingly worthless at preventing infection (only serious infection in mostly healthy people). Then omicron came into the picture and instead of doing anything again they relied on the vaccines which are even more worthless against that.

So when they should have done heavy masking enforcement, better mask guidance, widely distribute at home testing until we were fully clear they did jack poo poo. This should have been done last year when Delta was striking or implemented when Biden took office as a precaution. Instead the labs destroyed at home testing equipment and miffing capacity because he, doesn’t the air smell sweeter without a mask??

To be honest there’s not a whole lot Biden can really do other than what he’s doing now, too late. The chudges on the SC will onliteratenthe OSHA mandate and say “states rights lol”.

WrasslorMonkey
Mar 5, 2012

Ihmemies posted:

In the old days they closed the pool due to aids. Maybe they should do the same because of covid too.

Just convince everyone that the gays spread it

Potato Salad
Oct 23, 2014

nobody cares

Nichael posted:

are leftist podcast people 100% weirdly stupid about this one topic?

leftist podcasters often have a lot of weird blind spots through which they are unable to discern unmet public material needs

mastershakeman
Oct 28, 2008

by vyelkin

AppleNippleBOB posted:

No, those aren't for us.

It's probably like the Chicago emergency fund which absolutely totally has millions of dollars in it and no you can't see it and we aren't going to use it but we swear no one stole it

wash bucket
Feb 21, 2006

https://twitter.com/MattLech/status/1481655746286653445?s=20

euphronius
Feb 18, 2009

Glumwheels posted:

So I think it’s obvious, Biden and team thought the vaccine would be the end of it last year and we moved into the Summer of Open Biden where the bandaid was ripped off and evryone was expected to return to normal which it mostly did. Companies were planning to slowly reopen and force people back to the office etc. Then Delta came along and hosed that up but instead of doing anything Fauci/Wallenski/Biden admin still relied entirely on the vaccines which were proving increasingly worthless at preventing infection (only serious infection in mostly healthy people). Then omicron came into the picture and instead of doing anything again they relied on the vaccines which are even more worthless against that.

So when they should have done heavy masking enforcement, better mask guidance, widely distribute at home testing until we were fully clear they did jack poo poo. This should have been done last year when Delta was striking or implemented when Biden took office as a precaution. Instead the labs destroyed at home testing equipment and miffing capacity because he, doesn’t the air smell sweeter without a mask??

To be honest there’s not a whole lot Biden can really do other than what he’s doing now, too late. The chudges on the SC will onliteratenthe OSHA mandate and say “states rights lol”.

they didn’t even want to do boosters lmao

RoboChrist 9000
Dec 14, 2006

Mater Dolorosa

AppleNippleBOB posted:

No, those aren't for us.

To be fair, that's not enough. Like assuming a flat 750 there, and assuming that everyone wears their masks 40 hours and no more, that's yeah, not nearly enough.

Now if we were talking elastomerics, that would be good, but yeah.

America's population is 329.5 million. Let's make it an even 330 million. Assuming also that these are special masks that last an entire week instead of only ~40 hours, you're still going to need over a billion masks. To last for one month.

Lol. Lmao.

Harry Potter on Ice
Nov 4, 2006

IF IM NOT BITCHING ABOUT HOW SHITTY MY LIFE IS, REPORT ME FOR MY ACCOUNT HAS BEEN HIJACKED

Glumwheels posted:

To be honest there’s not a whole lot Biden can really do other than what he’s doing now, too late.

:thunk: hes really doing all that he can you really gotta hand it to him

Nichael
Mar 30, 2011

Glumwheels posted:

So I think it’s obvious, Biden and team thought the vaccine would be the end of it last year and we moved into the Summer of Open Biden where the bandaid was ripped off and evryone was expected to return to normal which it mostly did. C

Isn't this being generous? For as much as the right wing Dems chant "listen to the scientists", they seem to ignore them consistently on climate change and COVID. Actual experts said this would happen.

jetz0r
May 10, 2003

Tomorrow, our nation will sit on the throne of the world. This is not a figment of the imagination, but a fact. Tomorrow we will lead the world, Allah willing.

Notorious R.I.M.
Jan 27, 2004

up to my ass in alligators

Nichael posted:

Crackers have reactionary beliefs that they've never had to unravel because they're coddled by their white habitus? Why I never....

Golli
Jan 5, 2013

Just googled "covid testing near me" and after an exhaustive search (clicking through and answering the questionnaires to verify eligibility at each option), there are no covid testing sites with availability within 100 miles.

Good plan

slave to my cravings
Mar 1, 2007

Got my mind on doritos and doritos on my mind.

RoboChrist 9000 posted:

To be fair, that's not enough. Like assuming a flat 750 there, and assuming that everyone wears their masks 40 hours and no more, that's yeah, not nearly enough.

Now if we were talking elastomerics, that would be good, but yeah.

America's population is 329.5 million. Let's make it an even 330 million. Assuming also that these are special masks that last an entire week instead of only ~40 hours, you're still going to need over a billion masks. To last for one month.

Lol. Lmao.

kids won’t get masks. you can also extend the lifetime of your mask by not wearing it

mastershakeman
Oct 28, 2008

by vyelkin

Notorious R.I.M. posted:

Crackers have reactionary beliefs that they've never had to unravel because they're coddled by their white habitus? Why I never....

Can a Greek really be described as a cracker

Edit I suppose triscuits have an olive oil variety so maybe

Nichael posted:

a lot of these people have never talked to poor people, or actually experienced how loving devastating poverty is in America beyond reading an article or two.

nick lived in slum tenements on plywood with tons of bedbugs

Nichael
Mar 30, 2011

Notorious R.I.M. posted:

a lot of these people have never talked to poor people, or actually experienced how loving devastating poverty is in America beyond reading an article or two.

a few DRUNK BONERS
Mar 25, 2016

probably all the stockpiled masks were made in CHINA and are now radioactive

Nichael
Mar 30, 2011

Golli posted:

Just googled "covid testing near me"
listen here jack, help me google how to keep my family alive

Loucks
May 21, 2007

It's incwedibwe easy to suck my own dick.

I went into the office for the first time in over a year today to pick up a new computer. Wore my full face elastomeric, and good thing too because it was all surgical and cloth masks with plenty of noses flying free. When I picked up my machine the desktop support guy handed my me two branded cloth masks, insisting that it’s mandatory he hand them to everyone who receives new equipment. I feel so much safer.

Nichael
Mar 30, 2011

mastershakeman posted:

then I don't know, I just am annoyed at this crowd being so wrong on covid

mistermojo
Jul 3, 2004

its even worse because its just been declining the whole time. so strange since the economy's been doing so good
https://www.npr.org/2022/01/13/1072529477/more-than-1-million-fewer-students-are-in-college-the-lowest-enrollment-numbers-

Uglycat
Dec 4, 2000
MORE INDISPUTABLE PROOF I AM BAD AT POSTING
---------------->

Chad Sexington posted:

My buddy asked me if I thought he'd get omi when he flies across the country to see an NFL playoff game. Instead of answering directly (the answer is yes) I told him to wear an N95 and properly — no magic forcefield for snacks and beer. The aura I gave him last month is literally the only one he has. And his wife is pregnant so lol.

Genuinely feel this is the only thing I can do for friends and family. They don't listen when you say not to go out and do fun things, but they might actually wear a proper mask if you literally press it into their hands.

The Biden mask announcement is laughably late, but it could have a non-zero effect if they actually distribute N95s.

I've distributed about 200 masks, and you're 100% right.

Have there been any more foreign press on coldrice's covid simulator? I saw the Mexican, Japanese and I think one other....

Gio
Jun 20, 2005

Nichael posted:

cumtown isnt a political podcast and i’d hardly categorize the hosts as political. they just happen to live in nyc and be friends with red scare and chapo.

in an alternate reality nick mullen is absolutely a 4chan pepe posting nazi memes, however.

Zurtilik
Oct 23, 2015

The Biggest Brain in Guardia
I know enough about poverty that it loving sucks and I never want to actually experience it. I've lost my drat mind the couple times I thought I wasn't going to make rent, which in the grand scheme of things is uhh... nothing.

facetoucher cat
Dec 20, 2013

by sebmojo

They're just taking the tests from retailers and turning around to give to the public like some lovely salvation army upseller, right?

Bar Crow
Oct 10, 2012

AppleNippleBOB posted:

No, those aren't for us.

They will rot in those warehouses never used. Just like all those rapid tests in Florida. Or the emergency supplies in Puerto Rico after Hurricane Maria.

WampaLord
Jan 14, 2010

mastershakeman posted:

he probably would have had a better take on covid back then

money reveals who you really are

Animal-Mother
Feb 14, 2012

RABBIT RABBIT
RABBIT RABBIT

what the HELL are they talking about? my place has so many new students, they're putting them up in hotels. dorms packed beyond original capacity, university apartments full, neighborhood apartments full.

quarantine dorm for sick kids already double full. when i went to pick up a saliva test kit, they told me they're running out.

like..... why does anyone think anything normal is going to happen here? it's a biblical plague and people are still saying, "well, my fantasy football team..."

sullat
Jan 9, 2012

Golli posted:

Just googled "covid testing near me" and after an exhaustive search (clicking through and answering the questionnaires to verify eligibility at each option), there are no covid testing sites with availability within 100 miles.

Good plan

The system works!

kreeningsons
Jan 2, 2007

enhanced this even though it doesn't really need to be

Buttchocks
Oct 21, 2020

No, I like my hat, thanks.

AppleNippleBOB posted:

Lol if you think they're sending out n95s. They also won't be sending out kn95s, because you know... China.

They'll send out quality medical surgical masks.
At least 2 per household. Starting mid February

They will send everyone a Number 10 envelope containing a string that you use to tie the envelope around your face.

Nothus
Feb 22, 2001

Buglord

Nichael posted:

They're all libs op

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

RoboChrist 9000
Dec 14, 2006

Mater Dolorosa

slave to my cravings posted:

kids won’t get masks. you can also extend the lifetime of your mask by not wearing it

Using the adult population of the US and still working on the assumption of magical masks that last an entire week, it's still not enough to last a single month.

I mean yeah, obviously no fascist and most liberals wont be wearing it, but point is that even in the world where the strategic reserve of masks actually exists, it's still woefully inadequate and we should have been making and distributing masks since 2020.

Google says the 18+ pop of the US is 209,128,094. Again, for the sake of argument we're assuming super N95s that last an entire week, so when you multiply that by 4 you wind up with a required 836,512,376 masks to last the US a single month. And, again, that's ignoring the fact that schools are still open and parents are not going to be wearing these masks at home (even in the fantasy where they wear them outside) so they're still going to be getting sick from their children and basically even if you had 100% masking compliance by adults it's still pointless and does nothing.

Lol!