Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

nooneofconsequence
Oct 30, 2012

she had tiny Italian boobs.
Well that's my story.

redreader posted:

Hasn't worked for me. But seriously, I want to do some calf work. Any advice from the thread?

don't

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

DJ Fuckboy Supreme
Feb 10, 2011

And when you stare long into the abyss, you become aggressively, terminally chill

redreader posted:

Hasn't worked for me. But seriously, I want to do some calf work. Any advice from the thread?

My gym doesn't have a dedicated calf machine, so I follow my buddy's use of the Smith rack, the bar cushion, a bench, and a fitness step to do deficit calf raises. Any leg machine becomes a calf machine if you're brave enough though.

nooneofconsequence
Oct 30, 2012

Well that's my story.

My real advice is whatever you're doing measure your calves first. Then measure them again in like a month or two. Then stop doing calves it's not working.

ovenboy
Nov 16, 2014

I mean, it is still a muscle, of course training it will work. Perhaps it is just reasonable trained already though, since most reasonable people do 10-20 000 reps per day already. If you switch a couple of thousand of those reps for weighted ones or more explosive ones you'll probably get some growth, like hikers or runners get.

MikeCrotch
Nov 5, 2011

I AM UNJUSTIFIABLY PROUD OF MY SPAGHETTI BOLOGNESE RECIPE

YES, IT IS AN INCREDIBLY SIMPLE DISH

NO, IT IS NOT NORMAL TO USE A PEPPERAMI INSTEAD OF MINCED MEAT

YES, THERE IS TOO MUCH SALT IN MY RECIPE

NO, I WON'T STOP SHARING IT

more like BOLLOCKnese
Last training session before my meet, wish me luck lads and lasses

hosed up my training but looking to get small meet prs in all my lifts, last mesocycle has been great though so looking forward to trying again in February and not loving things up so badly this time

Omnikin
May 29, 2007

Press 'E' for Medic
https://www.instagram.com/p/B3YKZcFAkSk/?igshid=roh87rwp6yrt

Some cathartic poo poo from my gym

MA-Horus
Dec 3, 2006

I'm sorry, I can't hear you over the sound of how awesome I am.

A good gym right there.

Helios Grime
Jan 27, 2012

Where we are going we won't need shirts
Pillbug
Nice, I would link that to my gym, but sadly it's only a chain gym that doesn't care about it's clients at all.

Raffles
Dec 7, 2004

I need some new trainers - does anyone have any experience with Nike metcon 4 or 5?

EAT FASTER!!!!!!
Sep 21, 2002

Legendary.

:hampants::hampants::hampants:

Raffles posted:

I need some new trainers - does anyone have any experience with Nike metcon 4 or 5?

Yeah I love them but they're poo poo for running.

The Metcon x Free on the other hand (which are now largely on clearance because people don't like the look I guess?) are good for lifting but great for running.

I lift in the Metcons and run in the Metcon x Frees and if a workout has both I usually do them in the MxF.

bomb
Nov 3, 2005

Raffles posted:

I've been using Metcon 4 for a year+ now and they are still going strong. My chucks are worn out now.

MarcusSA
Sep 23, 2007

That’s awesome.

The biggest issue my gym has it people mismatching the weights when they put them back lol.

ElectricSheep
Jan 14, 2006

Well that's my story.

redreader posted:

load an oly bar and find the stairs

bomb
Nov 3, 2005

Farmer Walk

Helios Grime
Jan 27, 2012

Where we are going we won't need shirts
Pillbug
Get reeeeeaally fat. Being fat is the best calf builder ever.

david carmichael
Oct 28, 2011
Dogg crap calfs on a leg press or a step.

Make each negative last 5 seconds then have a deep stretch at the bottom for 10-20 seconds. Do 1 set of 20. Another day of the week do like 3 sets of seated calf raises. Huge calfs.

MikeCrotch
Nov 5, 2011

more like BOLLOCKnese
I can't think about working calves or hamstrings without hearing Mike Israetel saying "Feel that deeeeep, painful stretch" every time

Sleng Teng
May 3, 2009

MikeCrotch posted:

I can't think about working calves or hamstrings without hearing Mike Israetel saying "Feel that deeeeep, painful stretch" every time

"tummy"

bomb
Nov 3, 2005

Hexbar is so comfy

Groke
Jul 27, 2007
New Adventures In Mom Strength

Khorne posted:

As someone who got a charlie horse in each calf this weekend while tent camping in below freezing weather, yeah calves are jerks. And I don't get the weak ones. I get the "my body is dumb as hell and tensed it up so much it's painful to touch or do anything for the next few days" tier of calve cramps.

Bipedalism, possibly the worst thing to happen in human evolutionary history.

ovenboy
Nov 16, 2014

you guys seriously telling me that you aren't day-to-day brachiating everywhere

Chief McHeath
Apr 23, 2002
Went to work out at about 11:30 tonight and I had the whole place to myself for the entire thing. Let me tell ya, it freakin ruled!!!

MikeCrotch
Nov 5, 2011

more like BOLLOCKnese

Chief McHeath posted:

Went to work out at about 11:30 tonight and I had the whole place to myself for the entire thing. Let me tell ya, it freakin ruled!!!

Can confirm, it's the best

ovenboy
Nov 16, 2014

Being all alone in the gym in the mornings is what made me consider doing barbell turkish get-ups for "core" work.

Fallows
Jan 20, 2005

If he waits long enough he can use his accrued interest from his savings to bring his negative checking balance back into the black.
I go to LA fitness and they dont open till 8 on weekends and even if I get there right at 8 its still packed, why open 3 hours later on the weekend :(

Sweet As Sin
May 8, 2007

Hee-ho!!!

Grimey Drawer

Helios Grime posted:

Get reeeeeaally fat. Being fat is the best calf builder ever.

:agreed:

I took a break from the gym and maaaaybe I'm taking another kung fu class (but the flashy style). Back to it on Monday.

sassassin
Apr 3, 2010

by Azathoth
Kung fu? This isn't the arts and crafts thread.

GORDON
Jan 1, 2006

by Fluffdaddy

MarcusSA posted:

That’s awesome.

The biggest issue my gym has it people mismatching the weights when they put them back lol.

People at your gym put the weights back? Heaven.

bomb
Nov 3, 2005

Gotta say fall time is a good time to be jacked, everyone else is getting flabby due to lack of sun

Zzulu
May 15, 2009

(▰˘v˘▰)
I feel really weak in the gym in the morning which is the only reason I stopped going at that time of the day. Otherwise it owns

My "optimal" time is around lunch. Feel strong as heck

feelix
Nov 27, 2016
THE ONLY EXERCISE I AM UNFAMILIAR WITH IS EXERCISING MY ABILITY TO MAKE A POST PEOPLE WANT TO READ
If you have a regular sleep schedule, you are strongest 8 hours after waking

Sweet As Sin
May 8, 2007

Hee-ho!!!

Grimey Drawer

sassassin posted:

Kung fu? This isn't the arts and crafts thread.

It does wonders for my flexibilty, mobility and I get cardio lol.

I had been making cool progress, will 2 weeks of no weights affect me too much?

feelix posted:

I have to drink a protein shake or eat a banana, otherwise my blood pressure goes to the ground. Fun!

ultrafilter
Aug 23, 2007

It's okay if you have any questions.

Sweet As Sin posted:

I had been making cool progress, will 2 weeks of no weights affect me too much?

Fall back to where you were a week before you took the time off and you'll be fine for sure.

MarcusSA
Sep 23, 2007

My gym at 11am

Owns.

There is one other dude here but he’s in the other part doing god knows what with a sand bag.

Data Graham
Dec 28, 2009

📈📊🍪😋

feelix posted:

Read this as 8 hours after wanking

MrKatharsis
Nov 29, 2003

feel the bern
I was feeling pretty good about myself for hitting a deadlift PR today then I saw an older fellow with white hair attempt a bench press at 470lbs. I normally train alone in a corporate gym so this made a huge impression on me and I don't think I can wait two days to work out again.

MarcusSA
Sep 23, 2007

So don’t :shrug:

sassassin
Apr 3, 2010

by Azathoth

Data Graham posted:

Read this as 8 hours after wanking

That's 12.

VorpalFish
Mar 22, 2007
reasonably awesometm