Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

the kawaiiest
Dec 22, 2010

Uguuuu ~

RVProfootballer posted:

Isn't granting root permissions to an app giving your permission for it to do exactly things like that? In any case, that's a good example of (1) why most people shouldn't root and (2) why Google's changes to SD card handling is the right idea (though here it was app modifying system, it could easily be app modifying app).

Well, it was an app that did something that was completely unrelated to ads and ad blocking, and the developer worded the description in a way that implied that root was required for the app to function. He never said "root is required because I'm going to change your system files to show ads on your home screen", he never even mentioned ads or the hosts files or anything. There are other ways to block root users or users with ad blockers from using your apps. This guy was super shady. He was putting ads on the home screen/notification shade which is against the TOS, and was bitching at people and demanding 5 star ratings from every reviewer. Google did ban his account in the end after all.

I agree with you that most people shouldn't root their phones, though, and I don't really have a problem with the SD card changes either. I think they're for the best.

Personally I only use root for AdAway, Titanium and Xposed. I'd love to not need it anymore though.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ExcessBLarg!
Sep 1, 2001

LastInLine posted:

I can't imagine why a client would want to block rooted device and I'm curious what they're trying to accomplish and whether it could be accomplished.
The best argument I've heard is to prevent credentials from leaking. For example, a mobile app for a bank might grant tokens to authorized mobile devices, and they want to prevent root apps from stealing the token and doing malicious things.

The problem, of course, is that pretty much every root detection strategy can also be foiled by virtue of having root.

The only foolproof ones are those that rely on a TrustZone kernel and fully attested boot, as well as some third-party mechanism to authenticate messages from the TrustZone. I think Samsung KNOX either provides this, or they've implemented enough of the puzzle that they could provide this. But then the app would have to use Samsung API and only work on Samsung devices.

ExcessBLarg! fucked around with this message at 18:52 on May 15, 2014

Tunga
May 7, 2004

Grimey Drawer

LastInLine posted:

I'd really be interested in hearing whatever interesting points of discussion that are nonproprietary that you'd care to share. I can't imagine why a client would want to block rooted device and I'm curious what they're trying to accomplish and whether it could be accomplished. What does attempting to block rooted devices do in practical terms from a business perspective? I'm sure rooted users are the loudest voices but I'm curious as to whether that has any actual effect on anything.
I'll answer this when I have more time, probably the weekend. It's a good topic. This particular client is a large bank so the short answer to why they did it is "because security!!!".

big mean giraffe
Dec 13, 2003

Eat Shit and Die

Lipstick Apathy

the kawaiiest posted:

Personally I only use root for AdAway, Titanium and Xposed. I'd love to not need it anymore though.

You really don't, I never even bothered with my MAXX and couldn't be happier I don't have to play phone janitor ever again. It just works.

the kawaiiest
Dec 22, 2010

Uguuuu ~

big mean giraffe posted:

You really don't, I never even bothered with my MAXX and couldn't be happier I don't have to play phone janitor ever again. It just works.

I really do, because YouTube ads. Seriously, if there was a way to block ads without root I wouldn't do it anymore. I can live without titanium and xposed, but not without AdAway.

BallerBallerDillz
Jun 11, 2009

Cock, Rules, Everything, Around, Me
Scratchmo

big mean giraffe posted:

Having Blur on my old Moto X drove me up the wall. I assume it's improved significantly since then? I'm currently running CM11 on an S3 on Verizon, and although it works well, I'd be perfectly happy not to be chasing nightlies around and trying to troubleshoot bugs and to have a working HCE so I could use Wallet again.

big mean giraffe
Dec 13, 2003

Eat Shit and Die

Lipstick Apathy

the kawaiiest posted:

I really do, because YouTube ads.

Sorry your free service requires a way to make money. You could not use youtube if you have a problem with them using ads to generate revenue to provide you with free content.

Bobert51 posted:

Having Blur on my old Moto X drove me up the wall. I assume it's improved significantly since then? I'm currently running CM11 on an S3 on Verizon, and although it works well, I'd be perfectly happy not to be chasing nightlies around and trying to troubleshoot bugs and to have a working HCE so I could use Wallet again.

The Moto X has stock Android, there is no Blur. Well, there's 'Blur' which is their custom launcher and a few apps, but everything else is stock, look and feel. If you mean the Droid X, then yes, it's a whole different ballgame.

the kawaiiest
Dec 22, 2010

Uguuuu ~

big mean giraffe posted:

Sorry your free service requires a way to make money. You could not use youtube if you have a problem with them using ads to generate revenue to provide you with free content.
I pay for every app or service that I use, when the option is available. I'd happily pay for YouTube if I had the option. But I don't, and I'm not going to sit through a 10 second ad to watch a 15 second video of a pug jumping up some stairs.

Google makes billions of dollars every year. The fact that a few (very few) people aren't seeing ads on YouTube on their phones makes no difference in their yearly profits.

the kawaiiest fucked around with this message at 12:37 on May 16, 2014

Dr. Video Games 0050
Nov 28, 2007
My Galaxy s4 on Rogers doesn't even last my 9 hour work day before dying. I think it might be Google Now as it's highest on the battery list and I don't see other things taking up battery

I'm also using the google launcher cuz it's baller.

How do I completely wipe and start from fresh? Also how can I root the phone with it being fully updated or is this knox thing hosed me over? Also what is this gravity box stuff?

ClassActionFursuit
Mar 15, 2006

Dr. Video Games 0050 posted:

My Galaxy s4 on Rogers doesn't even last my 9 hour work day before dying. I think it might be Google Now as it's highest on the battery list and I don't see other things taking up battery

I'm also using the google launcher cuz it's baller.

How do I completely wipe and start from fresh? Also how can I root the phone with it being fully updated or is this knox thing hosed me over? Also what is this gravity box stuff?
GravityBox is not for TouchWiz.

BallerBallerDillz
Jun 11, 2009

Cock, Rules, Everything, Around, Me
Scratchmo

big mean giraffe posted:

The Moto X has stock Android, there is no Blur. Well, there's 'Blur' which is their custom launcher and a few apps, but everything else is stock, look and feel. If you mean the Droid X, then yes, it's a whole different ballgame.

Yeah, I meant the Droid X. I haven't really kept up with Moto's naming scheme. I loved my old OG Droid, maybe when it's time to retire this S3 I'll try going back. I'm stuck having to chose between buying my next device outright or losing my VZW unlimited data. Anyway, this isn't the thread for that, thanks though.

datajosh
May 3, 2002

I had the realization these aren't my problem!

LastInLine posted:

GravityBox is not for TouchWiz.
Yep. A couple of the features work but a lot of them don't. Wanam Xposed is the closest equivalent for TouchWiz.

Nokiaman
Mar 2, 2013

Guillermus posted:

Touchwiz, touchwiz... :smith: Also titanium backup, Adblock. My Galaxy S4 is been a GPE for months now and I have the best of both worlds so rooting is still a good thing.

My post was just a joke about the usual Nexus/Moto or you're inferior wich was a joke post aswell.

I use GPE ROM on my S4 as well and it's awesome. With Xposed+GB I can customise everything how I like it and I don't need to bother with CM ever again. SnapCam camera is pretty good replacement for the stock so loss of quality compared to TW doesn't bother me much.
Also 32GB SD card and removable battery. I love this phone.

Guillermus
Dec 28, 2009

Nokiaman posted:

I use GPE ROM on my S4 as well and it's awesome. With Xposed+GB I can customise everything how I like it and I don't need to bother with CM ever again. SnapCam camera is pretty good replacement for the stock so loss of quality compared to TW doesn't bother me much.
Also 32GB SD card and removable battery. I love this phone.

Yeah, that's why I love my phone and did't change it for a nexus 5 moto x. Even if I was stuck with CM is still better than having samsung's shovelware. The S5 being built around that knox poo poo and samsung messing with a self-made OS is basically making mine the last I 'S' I want to own sadly.

Nokiaman
Mar 2, 2013

Guillermus posted:

Yeah, that's why I love my phone and did't change it for a nexus 5 moto x. Even if I was stuck with CM is still better than having samsung's shovelware. The S5 being built around that knox poo poo and samsung messing with a self-made OS is basically making mine the last I 'S' I want to own sadly.

Haha same here. I am still on the old 4.2.2 bootloader when I heard they added that knox crap in 4.3/4.4 and if they continue to make it even worse with their new phones then gently caress them. Another funny thing is that I had 4.4.2 before the TW 4.4.2(because it takes some time to bloat everything again)

brc64
Mar 21, 2008

I wear my sunglasses at night.

ExcessBLarg! posted:

The best argument I've heard is to prevent credentials from leaking. For example, a mobile app for a bank might grant tokens to authorized mobile devices, and they want to prevent root apps from stealing the token and doing malicious things.

The problem, of course, is that pretty much every root detection strategy can also be foiled by virtue of having root.
I'm pretty sure that this is the logic behind why my company implemented root detection on its mobile app. I can understand all sides of it, even if I don't necessarily agree with how they went about it. Although it has been interesting about learning how even non-rooted phones can trip the root detection under certain circumstances.

joedevola
Sep 11, 2004

worst song, played on ugliest guitar
Is there any way to get the new Google Camera app on a 4.3 device? The DoF effect is great but gently caress if I'm going to go around taking photos with my Nexus 7 and my S3 won't update.

Guillermus
Dec 28, 2009

joedevola posted:

Is there any way to get the new Google Camera app on a 4.3 device? The DoF effect is great but gently caress if I'm going to go around taking photos with my Nexus 7 and my S3 won't update.

Samsung confirmed that they're going to update to Kitkat a good bunch of devices (even the Note 2!) so you might as well get it soon (months :v:).

Cruseydr
May 18, 2010

I am not an atomic playboy.

brc64 posted:

I'm pretty sure that this is the logic behind why my company implemented root detection on its mobile app. I can understand all sides of it, even if I don't necessarily agree with how they went about it. Although it has been interesting about learning how even non-rooted phones can trip the root detection under certain circumstances.
So what's the difference between a rooted mobile device and allowing people to do their banking from a PC?

deong
Jun 13, 2001

I'll see you in heck!

Cruseydr posted:

So what's the difference between a rooted mobile device and allowing people to do their banking from a PC?

For what its worth, it probably doesnt work on linux either cause of HACKERS.

Spekkio
Sep 23, 2005

Really satisfying music!
Is there any way to play the files Spotify downloads when I tell it to 'make a playlist available offline'?

I would like to use my playlists in the car, but I only have a USB port which makes the phone act as a usb storage device.

I have Spotify premium if it helps.

ClassActionFursuit
Mar 15, 2006

Cruseydr posted:

I guess their reasoning is that you're unlikely to lose control of your PC. Obviously that doesn't hold up to any scrutiny but it seems like it would be something someone dumb would say and never re-examine.

Gozinbulx
Feb 19, 2004
I know this is kind of a "If you have to ask, you're not ready" kind of thing but:

Can anyone recommend a beginner friendly Android "kitchen" for making modest modifactions to a ROM? Most that ive seen are Linux based command line dealies which is not TOTALLY beyond my comprehension (ive dabbled) but I was wondering if there was something eaiser out there for getting my hands dirty with custom ROM building.

ScarletBrother
Nov 2, 2004

Gozinbulx posted:

I know this is kind of a "If you have to ask, you're not ready" kind of thing but:

Can anyone recommend a beginner friendly Android "kitchen" for making modest modifactions to a ROM? Most that ive seen are Linux based command line dealies which is not TOTALLY beyond my comprehension (ive dabbled) but I was wondering if there was something eaiser out there for getting my hands dirty with custom ROM building.

Xposed Framework plus GravityBox does just about anything you would ever want a custom ROM to do. Doesn't play well with all ROMs/devices afaik though. I run mine on stock 4.4.2 on a Nexus 4.

Gozinbulx
Feb 19, 2004
This seems... promising. I remember hearing about this but not understanding what it was. Now I do.

Funkmaster General
Sep 13, 2008

Hey, man, I distinctly remember this being an episode of Spongebob. :colbert:

I'm trying to root my new Samsung Galaxy S5, and I'm running into an issue: I can't enter download mode. I'm supposed to power it off, then power it back on by holding volume down, home, and power. Doing this just seems to restart the phone. If I keep holding the buttons, it will power back off at the Sprint logo and restart again, still normally and not in download mode. Any help?

SurgicalOntologist
Jun 17, 2004

Cross-posting since I think it's more relevant here. I have a once-rooted Droid Razr Maxx HD that failed the OTA update. It's now stuck on the M logo. This post seems to suggest the OTA update rejects even once-rooted phones. I can't tell from that discussion what I should do, the instructions there are how to go back to stock, but as I've already started the update I'm not sure if they apply to me. I'm able to get to recovery, using the new key combination, indicating that at least something has updated I think. I'm afraid to try anything else though. Should I do a factory reset or is there something else I can try?

Vykk.Draygo
Jan 17, 2004

I say salesmen and women of the world unite!

Funkmaster General posted:

I'm trying to root my new Samsung Galaxy S5, and I'm running into an issue: I can't enter download mode. I'm supposed to power it off, then power it back on by holding volume down, home, and power. Doing this just seems to restart the phone. If I keep holding the buttons, it will power back off at the Sprint logo and restart again, still normally and not in download mode. Any help?

I do not have a Samsung any longer, but I believe the correct way is to power it off, hold down the three buttons until it powers on, then release the power button but continue holding the other two until it appears to do something other than boot up.

Funkmaster General
Sep 13, 2008

Hey, man, I distinctly remember this being an episode of Spongebob. :colbert:

Vykk.Draygo posted:

I do not have a Samsung any longer, but I believe the correct way is to power it off, hold down the three buttons until it powers on, then release the power button but continue holding the other two until it appears to do something other than boot up.

This did it. Weird that none of the tutorials mentioned that bit, even in the video I watched. But I guess if it works it works! Thanks.

barnold
Dec 16, 2011

what do u do when yuo're born to play fps? guess there's nothing left to do but play fps. boom headshot

Keep the phone unplugged and make sure the phone is shut all the way off first. It needs to be unplugged, both from charging and the computer. Connect it after it boots into download mode. I actually had trouble with this today, but I figured it out after a little trial and error.

SurgicalOntologist
Jun 17, 2004

Okay, I think I figured out how to unbrick my phone (hopefully). Problem is, I've been fiddling with it for hours so the flash fails due to low battery. Which worries me because it's been plugged in 90% of the last couple hours. Anyways, I can get it to three states: stuck on the M logo, flashboot screen, and recovery mode. I can't get it all the way off. Which of these is more likely to charge the battery?

Edit: although just to be sure: I'm getting the same error as this guy:

quote:

Package expects build fingerprint of Motorola/XT926_verizon/vanquish:4.1.2/9.8.1Q-94-1/57:user/release-keys or motorola/vanquish_vzw/vanquish:4.4.2/KDA20.62-10.1/10:user/release-keys; this device has motorola/vanquish_vzw/vanquish:4.4.2/KDA20.62-10/10:use

However, that's before trying to flash with RSD (which is where I'm having the battery issue). The recommnedation in the above link is to install 9.18.94 in recovery mode. However this conflicts with the instructions I'm seeing in other places which are to flash "VRZ_XT926_9.8.1Q-94-1_CFC.xml" with RSD, then install 9.30 in recovery mode. Which is correct?

SurgicalOntologist fucked around with this message at 05:22 on May 21, 2014

ClassActionFursuit
Mar 15, 2006

SurgicalOntologist posted:

Okay, I think I figured out how to unbrick my phone (hopefully). Problem is, I've been fiddling with it for hours so the flash fails due to low battery. Which worries me because it's been plugged in 90% of the last couple hours. Anyways, I can get it to three states: stuck on the M logo, flashboot screen, and recovery mode. I can't get it all the way off. Which of these is more likely to charge the battery?

Edit: although just to be sure: I'm getting the same error as this guy:

However, that's before trying to flash with RSD (which is where I'm having the battery issue). The recommnedation in the above link is to install 9.18.94 in recovery mode. However this conflicts with the instructions I'm seeing in other places which are to flash "VRZ_XT926_9.8.1Q-94-1_CFC.xml" with RSD, then install 9.30 in recovery mode. Which is correct?
You aren't going to like this answer but as far as I know you can't charge your device in any of those modes if they're analogous at all to Nexus devices (by which I mean bootloop, fastboot, and recovery).

Tunga
May 7, 2004

Grimey Drawer
Is that a thing? I've never noticed that but I guess I don't generally spend much time in recovery or bootloader.

Holding down the power button for ten seconds or so should turn it off.

Alternatively, once the battery dies you'll be able to charge it then.

ClassActionFursuit
Mar 15, 2006

Tunga posted:

Is that a thing? I've never noticed that but I guess I don't generally spend much time in recovery or bootloader.
The only reason I know recovery doesn't allow charging is because I've seen posts talking about how it can't be enabled on CWMR or TWR. I know the bootloader doesn't because I've tried it out of curiosity. It should be obvious that it won't work while in a hung/looping boot.

Tunga posted:

Alternatively, once the battery dies you'll be able to charge it then.
I can't believe that didn't occur to me.

SurgicalOntologist
Jun 17, 2004

Well I think the battery died completely, now the green light turns on when I plug it in. Hopefully that means it's charging.

E: gently caress it appears to want to go back to the bootloop as soon it as it's able.

SurgicalOntologist fucked around with this message at 15:05 on May 21, 2014

Flaggy
Jul 6, 2007

Grandpa Cthulu needs his napping chair

Grimey Drawer
Is it worth unrooting my phone for the latest update on my Note 2?

Im running 4.1.2.

I was looking at this method of unrooting if I end up doing it.

http://forum.xda-developers.com/showthread.php?p=41340941

Guillermus
Dec 28, 2009

Flaggy posted:

Is it worth unrooting my phone for the latest update on my Note 2?

Im running 4.1.2.

I was looking at this method of unrooting if I end up doing it.

http://forum.xda-developers.com/showthread.php?p=41340941

The Note 2 should recieve KitKat as samsung announced, so if you mean that, yes. Kitkat is an overall improvement over JB.

This did it. Weird that none of the tutorials mentioned that bit, even in the video I watched. But I guess if it works it works! Thanks.

Out of curiosity, is rooting the S5 same as older S models? Just download mode, launch Odin and flash it.

Flaggy
Jul 6, 2007

Grandpa Cthulu needs his napping chair

Grimey Drawer

Guillermus posted:

The Note 2 should recieve KitKat as samsung announced, so if you mean that, yes. Kitkat is an overall improvement over JB.

Out of curiosity, is rooting the S5 same as older S models? Just download mode, launch Odin and flash it.

I have never unrooted a phone before, does that look like a pretty good guide? Everyone on there seems to think it is.

I also found one on XDA that uses the Unified Android Tools set.

Flaggy fucked around with this message at 17:58 on May 21, 2014

barnold
Dec 16, 2011

what do u do when yuo're born to play fps? guess there's nothing left to do but play fps. boom headshot

Guillermus posted:

Even easier for me than it was on the Galaxy S2. Download the CF-Auto-Root, load it into Odin, and you're done.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Vin BioEthanol
Jan 18, 2002

by Ralp
Is this a problem with my router that is functioning as a wap, or with cm? Or a combination of the 2?

CM 10.2.1 stable on a att s3.

I set this up few weeks ago to get better signal strength in the back of the house, router is a newer shittier wrt54g, running ddwrt, wifi channel 10 dhcp off, it's plugged in with cable to my older sweeter wrt54g running tomato, wifi channel 1, same ssid on the other side of the house.

All is fine on my laptop as well as the 9 other wifi devices the wife and kids have. (I never realized how many until I just now thought about it)

But every so often I'll be in the back of the house, see I have full wifi strength so I know I'm connected to this one but the bars are grey, and I can't connect to anything.

A reboot of the (wap)router fixes it, sometimes for days sometimes for hours.

Any ideas?