Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Muddy Burphy
Dec 4, 2010

The #RXT REVOLUTION has two words for ya..
SCOOP IT!

:frogc00l:

he knows...

CopywrightMMXI posted:

There's another diva stalker though. Ed from San Antonio or something like that

Ed is the worst

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Dario the Wop
Oct 11, 2007

Hell-Sent, Heaven-Bent
"My close personal friend, Mia Yam"

algebra testes
Mar 5, 2011

Lipstick Apathy
Another great Meltz moment was "An MMA company... not old, but with TV money made a big play for him... Anyway, Bellator signed Kimbo so they got someone in the end"

CopywrightMMXI
Jun 1, 2011

One time a guy stole some downhill skis out of my jeep and I was so mad I punched a mailbox. I'm against crime, and I'm not ashamed to admit it.
Breaking news: Wai Ting was sick in the past week. He's no longer sick, just tired now.

dsriggs
May 28, 2012

MONEY FALLS...

...FROM THE SKY...

...WHENEVER HE POSTS!

CopywrightMMXI posted:

Breaking news: Wai Ting was sick in the past week. He's no longer sick, just tired now.

But DID he have a latte with almond milk?? The people gotta know!

coconono
Aug 11, 2004

KISS ME KRIS

Podcasters stop doing call ins. Maybe answer an email or play a voxer. Never let the marks in on the work.

The D in Detroit
Oct 13, 2012

Bhester posted:

Ed is the worst

Jim at least has some amount of likeability.

Strenuous Manflurry
Sep 5, 2006

THE END

SpaceWolfPurrp posted:

Back when I subscribed, I think Jim joined the board ever-so-briefly (or someone was impersonating him) and all he did was talk about lady grappling, to no one's surprise.

Feels Villeneuve
Oct 7, 2007

Setter is Better.
Dave is sad because 12-year-olds don't want to come over and watch PPVs with him :smith:

triplexpac
Mar 24, 2007

Suck it
Two tears in a bucket
And then another thing
I'm not the one they'll try their luck with
Hit hard like brass knuckles
See your face through the turnbuckle dude
I got no love for you

Alain Post posted:

Dave is sad because 12-year-olds don't want to come over and watch PPVs with him :smith:

A 12-year-old interested in wrestling history? I'm sure Dave was already grooming him as his replacement

Cardboard Box
Jul 14, 2009

SpaceWolfPurrp posted:

i think he's creepy.

ed is creepy too.

Daniel Bryan
May 23, 2006

GOAT
Vinny Verhei mark calls in on today's WOL!

MassRafTer
May 26, 2001

BAEST MODE!!!

triplexpac posted:

A 12-year-old interested in wrestling history? I'm sure Dave was already grooming him as his replacement

Was, quit out of fear Dave would find out he liked Melrose more than 90210.

Gonzo McFee
Jun 19, 2010

triplexpac posted:

Luckily WWE nipped that in the bud by being poo poo enough to turn him off wrestling.

algebra testes
Mar 5, 2011

Lipstick Apathy
Ahhh all this talk about kids reminds me of Dave's son and booking Popeye. :allears:

UltimoDragonQuest
Oct 5, 2011

I was waiting for the reveal that it was the heel friend who planted the shoes on the stairs.

mariooncrack
Dec 27, 2008
It's always so depressing when Dave brings up the fact that his son doesn't like wrestling.

Dave recounting covering the Benoit story was really :smith:

Feels Villeneuve
Oct 7, 2007

Setter is Better.

triplexpac posted:

a replacement for his son, more like.

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

Would you be my new best friends?

JR's latest guest reminded me of how much I loved hearing,"I ain't the lady to mess with....

WOOP!"

UltimoDragonQuest
Oct 5, 2011

This is a golden opportunity to use a kid for distraction while we secure the Tom Magee tape.

EugeneJ
Feb 5, 2012

by FactsAreUseless

UltimoDragonQuest posted:

This is a golden opportunity to use a kid for distraction while we secure the Tom Magee tape.

We really need to bug the poo poo out of Dave to have him at least throw it up on Youtube or something

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

Goddamn, Lisa Marie's (Victoria/Tara) story about her dealings with Dixie Carter in TNA is a pretty intense burial.

MassRafTer
May 26, 2001

BAEST MODE!!!

Jerusalem posted:

Goddamn, Lisa Marie's (Victoria/Tara) story about her dealings with Dixie Carter in TNA is a pretty intense burial.

Is the whole thing worth listening to or is there a part I should skip to for my favorite sport?

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

MassRafTer posted:

Is the whole thing worth listening to or is there a part I should skip to for my favorite sport?

I found the whole thing really enjoyable, but I've always been a Victoria fan. The TNA stuff starts about 1 hour 24 minutes in and only lasts about 10 minutes.

Big Coffin Hunter
Aug 13, 2005

MassRafTer posted:

what do victoria and dixie carter have to do with The Sport of Brawl-for-All? :confused:

Nerokerubina
Jun 7, 2007

I think swords are neat. Do you think swords are neat?!

Jerusalem posted:

JR's latest guest reminded me of how much I loved hearing,"I ain't the lady to mess with....

WOOP!"

idk if it was pointed out but finding out that that was sung by a pre-fame Nicki Minaj was a loving trip

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

Nerokerubina posted:

idk if it was pointed out but finding out that that was sung by a pre-fame Nicki Minaj was a loving trip

Well that is something I did not know!

Dario the Wop
Oct 11, 2007

Hell-Sent, Heaven-Bent

Jerusalem posted:

The TNA stuff starts about 1 hour 24 minutes in and only lasts about 10 minutes.
Could you give us a summary? I'm too much of a J.R. fan to listen to his podcast. ;)

UltimoDragonQuest
Oct 5, 2011

She promoted a Chicago event, spending $6k on publicity and holding a big party at her restaurant. Dixie did not thank her. TNA did some promotional stuff with a suburban pizza place which was fine, until she saw The Office sent an email for the wrestlers to say it was the best pizza they'd ever had.

Lisa: "The day I quit my job I'm gonna punch that oval office in the face!"
Bruce Prichard: ""You'll be doing all of us a favor."

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

Also the people who sent out that message to the wrestlers hadn't been invited to the party, so she saw it as their passive aggressive way at getting back at her. She claims that the Chicago event had far more ticket sales than normal and felt her publicity efforts played a big part in that, and when she mentioned her efforts to Dixie she got a very short and indifferent response.

Now this could very easily just be typical wrestler talk hyping up how good/smart/popular they were against how bad/dumb/hated the other person was. I'm willing to give her the benefit of the doubt since she's never really come across as a particularly vindictive person, but it does surprise me to hear the badmouthing of Dixie since most things I've seen posted about her over the years is that even if she is incompetent she's still at least a very nice person. She also mentioned that it was depressing that whenever she put on wrestling at her restaurant there was generally a good crowd there to watch, but the place would be empty whenever TNA was on. She made some comments about how Dixie was doing more harm than good, and JR actually came somewhat to the defense of TNA itself by saying that the influx of workers onto the indies would inevitably lower money wrestlers could expect to get from promoters, and that at least TNA was providing regular work and television exposure for the people there.

As for the rest of the podcast:

- She was aware of wrestling growing up but not interested in it otherwise. She knew Torrie Wilson from fitness modeling and got interested in wrestling when Torrie got involved in it.
- She met Chyna at a gym, they chatted, and Chyna suggested she give wrestling a try. Victoria had no idea how to work and assumed she could pick it up in a week.
- Her application of interest to WWF cost her hundreds of dollars because she put together an edited highlights package of herself at contests, appearing on television, and with celebrities like Pamela Anderson.
- She moved to Memphis at WWF's suggestion and credits her husband for uprooting his life to help her follow her dream.
- Claims she and the other women wrestlers went out of their way to show up early and go through matches, promos etc, and that guys like Arn Anderson were always willing to help out.
- She absolutely lit up when JR asked her about Charlotte Flair, she's amazed at how good she is.
- Loves Paige and her family, thinks Paige is great.
- Agreed with JR that she and AJ could have a hell of a David and Goliath match.
- Put over JR's BBQ products hugely, it was kinda hilarious how much she did, as well as the Slobberknocker Pizza named after him.
- She would have posed for Playboy if WWF had asked her but is glad they never did because she would probably regret it now. Said that there was an element of "Why don't they ask me?" for her and some of the others at the time, and that she could see how easily it could lead to body dysmorphia issues.
- Would love to be involved in the Performance Center but couldn't justify moving there permanently or for a lengthy period of time like WWE would want her to.
- When the WWE is in town she'll offer free food and drink to the stars if they come eat there. Says nobody has ever abused the free drinks except for the Nasty Boys. JR very quickly cut that story off with a,"Oh that's a different generation for you."

I always loved Victoria in WWE so it was nice to hear her talk at length, and JR actually seemed engaged in the interview and enjoying the conversation for the most part, though as with all JR's podcasts it was hardly a hard-hitting affair.

Oh also it included an advertisement for Roddy Piper's podcast with Jim Cornette, because apparently Cornette was so enraged that Russo was on Piper's Podcast that he had to come on and rant, I gotta hear that :allears:

yea ok
Jul 27, 2006

Jerusalem posted:

it does surprise me to hear the badmouthing of Dixie since most things I've seen posted about her over the years is that even if she is incompetent she's still at least a very nice person.

nah dude she's pretty miserable in just about every way

rovert
Jun 10, 2013
Jerusalem did a great job recapping. The only thing I didn't like was JR at times playing the dirt old man. Wasn't in the same league as the notorious Lita one though.

Strenuous Manflurry
Sep 5, 2006

THE END
Wrestlehut Pisscast 74: The Truth Commission

Back to an honest to god three hour show, the first 40 minutes or so is just me and Sunsweet chatting about salt, the Truth Commission of all things, and if Jack Swagger should try to shoot win the Rumble. Then Oatgan and Karmine show up and we discuss roughly 1 billion things: Raw, Rawlternative, Rumble Peedictions, post-grunge vs nu-metal, KOTOR 2, and a bunch of lucha - including a minis cibernetico that was bonkers good. Also Karmine's baby makes his long awaited debut at the end.

http://tindeck.com/listen/nsjjd
http://www.mediafire.com/listen/4m6yk1rk5dodiyq/074+Wrestlehut+Pisscast.mp3
http://pisscast.blogspot.com
iTunes and what have ya

Since we talked about a poo poo ton of matches, I'm gonna link the ones I can find for anyone curious. The minis cibernetico is highly recommended. Legitimately one of the most fun matches of the year, RIP Astral.

Pequenos Reyes del Aire, AKA the Minis Cibernetico (WATCH THIS MATCH): https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cw7Zw0GTxKQ
The exact opposite of the above match, the women's cibernetico from September: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7f8TTx9mtVw
Dragon Lee vs Hechicero from CMLL in a "let's kill ourselves to get noticed" match: http://www.dailymotion.com/video/x1vvz4t_dragon-lee-vs-hechicero-in-a-en-busca-de-un-idolo-match_sport
Dragon Rojo Jr vs La Sombra: http://www.dailymotion.com/video/x1efcbr_la-sombra-vs-dragon-rojo-jr-for-the-nwa-world-middleweight-championship_sport

ICHIBAHN
Feb 21, 2007

by Cyrano4747
Wait, Victoria paid 6k to a terrible PR company to promote an upcoming TNA show. gently caress sake.

Punch McLightning
Sep 19, 2005

you know what that means

Grimey Drawer

ICHIBAHN posted:

terrible PR company

That's perfect for Dixie.

MassRafTer
May 26, 2001

BAEST MODE!!!

Jerusalem posted:

I found the whole thing really enjoyable, but I've always been a Victoria fan. The TNA stuff starts about 1 hour 24 minutes in and only lasts about 10 minutes.

Thanks. As for Chicago TNA typically did better in Chicago than other cities and that was a major show so who knows how much impact she had. Probably some.

Muddy Burphy
Dec 4, 2010

The #RXT REVOLUTION has two words for ya..
SCOOP IT!

:frogc00l:

he knows...
Ed called into WOL and I want to die

Daniel Bryan
May 23, 2006

GOAT

Bhester posted:

Ed called into WOL and I want to die

Good call from Ryan though huh

Spermgod
Jan 8, 2012

pink wasn't even a thing why is t#RXT REVOLUTION~!
and i'm so fucking excited for #SCOOPS#SCOOPS#SCOOPS #SCOOPS#SCOOPS #SCOOPS#SCOOPS
:sludgepal:
he knows..

quote:

The dominance of New Japan is evident here, with eight of the top 11 coming from the promotion. And if anything, that’s been a hindrance to New Japan, not a help. There were multiple matches in the G-1, and throughout the year on big shows that were better than the non-New Japan matches that placed or got honorable mention, but when you have a G-1 like this past year, great matches became so commonplace they were forgotten.

dave :rolleyes:

edit: here's some really good Dave Grammar

quote:

This was a high spot crowd so while the match did lose momentum and you can really see the difference as workers, and it’s big, between these two guys who are great at what they do and someone like a Nakamura, is cavernous.

Spermgod fucked around with this message at 00:53 on Jan 22, 2015

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ch3cooh
Jun 26, 2006

Lol impact dethroned as worst weekly tv show by raw

• Locked thread