Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
i am harry
Oct 14, 2003

skylined! posted:

its cool that infowars claims hitler is still alive on day three of a four day cross country car ride with my mother, avid reader of infowars

tomorrow i will get to explain quite fruitlessly how crazy that is and then be chastised for it. if i don't return just know i jerked the wheel into a rover going 120 somewhere in mississippi.

Leave her in the desert.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Soylent Yellow
Nov 5, 2010

yospos
http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/world-us-canada-41854358

US energy secretary proves that exposure to high levels of lead can lead to mental impairment.

Dejawesp
Jan 8, 2017

You have to follow the beat!

skylined! posted:

its cool that infowars claims hitler is still alive on day three of a four day cross country car ride with my mother, avid reader of infowars

tomorrow i will get to explain quite fruitlessly how crazy that is and then be chastised for it. if i don't return just know i jerked the wheel into a rover going 120 somewhere in mississippi.

Don't. She will survive and then blame Hillary Clinton for your death and it will cost the Dems another election.

Liquid Communism
Mar 9, 2004

коммунизм хранится в яичках
https://www.nytimes.com/2017/11/02/nyregion/dnainfo-gothamist-shutting-down.html

Hrm. News agencies unionize, then are immediately shut down. MAGA at work!

Relevant Tangent
Nov 18, 2016

Tangentially Relevant

I liked DCist for weekly quotes and event suggestions. Sucks.

Slow News Day
Jul 4, 2007

Rinkles posted:

So... is it tinfoil hat to think Roger Stone may have gone on a curse filled Twitter tirade under the cover of unhinged anger (more than once) to get his account intentionally banned, thus (potentially) making accessing his DMs more difficult?

The FBI has access to private FB messages, don't know if Twitter DMs are more protected. Also don't know if it's the sort of thing Twitter is required to delete upon account termination.

E: he could delete it on his own but that would seem suspicious/maybe get him in trouble for obstruction?

He may believe that, but it's probably a trivial task for twitter to grab the DMs, if asked by, say, Mueller.

Pajser
Jan 28, 2006

Boris Galerkin posted:

Do we have troll farms?

there are definitely some accounts being used for the purpose of either monitoring certain threads, like this one or others (brown moses's posts most certainly), maybe even low tier shitposting, but the only reason as to why they are doing this, is because some mid-level manager/coordinator at a troll farm company mistakenly thinks this is an influential forum.

so the only real benefit comes to lowtax having a bit more money

Kal-L
Jan 18, 2005

Heh... Spider-man... Web searches... That's funny. I should've trademarked that one. Could've made a mint.

Boris Galerkin posted:

Do we have troll farms?

4chan. But the trolls are too unhinged and follow anyone who promises to be a strongman like manliest man Putin.

WeAreTheRomans posted:

I'm convinced glowing-fish is a puppet account for the USGS

I'm 70000 Russians

I'm an endless conga line of North Koreans, posting until our frail bodies can't take the weapons-grade stupidity that Trump radiates.

Pajser posted:

there are definitely some accounts being used for the purpose of either monitoring certain threads, like this one or others (brown moses's posts most certainly), maybe even low tier shitposting, but the only reason as to why they are doing this, is because some mid-level manager/coordinator at a troll farm company mistakenly thinks this is an influential forum.

But everyone knows that there's secret CIA messages embedded into the BYOB posts!

I AM GRANDO
Aug 20, 2006

Pajser posted:

We used to have some very ardent defenders of the IDF who have all gone away, probably realizing that SA is not setting the tone for American attitudes.

Data Graham
Dec 28, 2009

📈📊🍪😋

Tarezax posted:

White racists like Asians when they're over there.

“A place for every race, and every race in its place”

Is probably a thing with them

(And then the global race war between nation-states as proxies for races can truly begin)

WeAreTheRomans
Feb 23, 2010

by R. Guyovich

Data Graham posted:

“A place for every race, and every race in its place”

Is probably a thing with them

(And then the global race war between nation-states as proxies for races can truly begin)

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4REO0pucYY8

Phobophilia
Apr 26, 2008

by Hand Knit
https://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3836392&userid=70976

theres this lunatic, who's a bit too articulate to be typical crazy, but picking a too low hanging thread to be a consciously bad actor

canepazzo
May 29, 2006

https://twitter.com/realDonaldTrump/status/926401530013642765

:bisonyes:

Ague Proof
Jun 5, 2014

they told me
I was everything
Finally, people are starting to notice me - The President of the United States.

WeAreTheRomans
Feb 23, 2010

by R. Guyovich

Ague Proof posted:

Finally, people are starting to notice me - The President of the United States.

Trump is an example of somebody who's done an amazing job and is getting recognized more and more, I notice

Sulphagnist
Oct 10, 2006

WARNING! INTRUDERS DETECTED

Obvious aide tweet, by the way.

Old Kentucky Shark posted:

The way the whole bill is structured is just really loving stupid, from an optics standpoint. It cuts taxes on things most people never see and don't know about, and fucks around eliminating extremely common deductions that everyone knows about, then tries to assure you that the money will be made back by raising standard deductions, on average. Give George Bush some credit; when he did his giant handout to the wealthy, he at least cut taxes across the board so it looked like everyone was getting something back, even if the wealthy got back way loving more.

It's as if they wanted to pick your pocket, but instead of distracting you and slipping a hand in, they just shoved their hand in your pocket and tried to convince you that they were actually putting money in there.

But those cuts expired (mostly), the only way to pass them was to make them temporary. The Republicans don't wanna do that, they have to raise taxes on some people to give the one percent their massive cut permanently. The donors explicitly want permanent cuts that won't go away just by obstructing an extension. They don't wanna get burned again.

You could also blow up the rulebook by a simple majority so you can pass whatever the gently caress you want, but that's handing an incoming Democratic majority of any size a sharpened guillotine. (The Dems should blow it up themselves and pass massive tax raises on the rich anyway, but we all know they won't even consider it without the Republicans breaking the norms for them first.)

Sulphagnist fucked around with this message at 12:07 on Nov 3, 2017

Owlofcreamcheese
May 22, 2005
Probation
Can't post for 9 years!
Buglord

He succeeded on a lock pick roll to get in

Mr Ice Cream Glove
Apr 22, 2007

https://twitter.com/thehill/status/926408877259853829

quote:

I'll tell you, my favorite restaurant ... rather than insulting anyone, I will tell say: I love the food in the White House. The White House is the greatest restaurant ... it's the most beautiful," Trump said.

"They do such a beautiful job," he continued. "This is such a beautiful, incredible place. I love it ... Special people, they've worked here for many, many years. Special people and the food is very, very good."

That being said ... in Washington you do have some great restaurants, and I'm going to start going to them. I was accused the other day, well, when I leave the White House, which is seldom, I always go to my hotel on Pennsylvania Avenue and they say, 'He should go to other places.' And I never thought of it, and I'm going to start doing it."

Ventana
Mar 28, 2010

*Yosh intensifies*

This article is pretty misleading.

quote:

Because this is the first time we we have run this question, we do not have comparison data since the Special Counsel’s appointment, so we don’t know whether Mueller’s standing has deteriorated or whether he was always mistrusted by a wide swath of the public.

That's not just a small problem to handwave away. That's a pretty big confound and discredits their conclusion completely.

It's even worse when they compare to the WP's polling question that happened around the same time which showed a much different result....because it was framed as a much more straightforward question and wasn't as close to being a leading question.

Ague Proof
Jun 5, 2014

they told me
I was everything

John McCain Rep. 14,821 6.5%
Mitt Romney Rep. 17,337 7.1%

Quorum
Sep 24, 2014

REMIND ME AGAIN HOW THE LITTLE HORSE-SHAPED ONES MOVE?

Ague Proof posted:

John McCain Rep. 14,821 6.5%
Mitt Romney Rep. 17,337 7.1%

So what you're saying is, he should definitely start to eat at local restaurants.

Medullah
Aug 14, 2003

FEAR MY SHARK ROCKET IT REALLY SUCKS AND BLOWS
https://twitter.com/realDonaldTrump/status/926415703476928512

Legit don't understand what he gains from having a tantrum about all this.

Tatsuta Age
Apr 21, 2005

so good at being in trouble

Medullah posted:

No collusion, you're the collusion

Ague Proof
Jun 5, 2014

they told me
I was everything
"The real story is Fusion GPS" no longer works.

Why is he calling him "Crazy" Bernie here, he shouldn't be insulting him when he's trying to divide his supporters.

CommieGIR
Aug 22, 2006

The blue glow is a feature, not a bug

Pillbug

Medullah posted:

The cornered animal struggles more.

Roland Jones
Aug 18, 2011

by Nyc_Tattoo

Medullah posted:

Ranting about Hillary always worked before. This is what it looks like when Trump tries to make a "distraction", rather than all the things people claim is him making distractions. He's inept and stupid, though, so...

Ague Proof posted:

"The real story is Fusion GPS" no longer works.

Why is he calling him "Crazy" Bernie here, he shouldn't be insulting him when he's trying to divide his supporters.

See above.

Noxville
Dec 7, 2003

https://twitter.com/realDonaldTrump/status/926417546038923264

Why does he call her Pocahontas again? I feel I knew this at one time but it buried under an avalanche of other stupidity.

sharkbomb
Feb 9, 2005
I love how Trump is fully developing the rigged election narrative for Bernie's 2020 run

Chilichimp
Oct 24, 2006

TIE Adv xWampa

It wamp, and it stomp

Grimey Drawer

Benjamin Wittes - "We put up an online poll and this is the first time we've done this for this topic and it LOOKS LIKE the public doesn't trust Mueller?"

Mieke Eoyang - "Oh poo poo, we need to write a story about this immediately!"

~later that week~

r/The_Donald - "It loving worked, you guys!"

nimby
Nov 4, 2009

The pinnacle of cloud computing.

Medullah posted:

If your opponent did anything illegal (or something nasty (or something not quite on the up-and-up)), however much illegal things you did are ok and you've won a legitimate historic EC landslide win.

I AM GRANDO
Aug 20, 2006

Medullah posted:

All he knows how to do when he’s criticized is to lash out at other people. Because he’s being accused of “collusion” he’s trying to find someone else to accuse of that transgression. What is that acronym abuse counselors use: Deny, Accuse, Reverse Victim? He’s doing a textbook example of that.

There Bias Two
Jan 13, 2009
I'm not a good person

https://twitter.com/realDonaldTrump/status/926419647708258304

https://twitter.com/realDonaldTrump/status/926421589159182339

The dehumanization going on here is disturbing to me.

There Bias Two fucked around with this message at 13:20 on Nov 3, 2017

Post 9-11 User
Apr 14, 2010
The President just committed a hate crime in public, calling Warren, "Pocahontas."

I Reported and retweeted his stupid rear end. gently caress you, Trump.

Edit: the Tweet is live, right now, it's hidden from me because I reported it.

kronix
Jul 1, 2004

Dejawesp posted:

Considering that twitter as a whole probably depends on Trump just to get by these days as a brand. I'm surprised anyone could delete his account without a set of literal iron keys held by each of the board members and a retinal scan from Jack Dorsey.

Rinkles posted:

It probably literally is treated like every other account.

Software is really expensive to build and only starts to become economically viable when you have tons of users. There’s no way they ever implement something like this when it’s easier to fire the person who clicked the button and restore the account.

However, I wouldn’t be surprised if taxpayers paid twitter to implement some sort of special authentication system so that we could trust the integrity of presidential tweets.

Hieronymous Alloy
Jan 30, 2009

Why! Why!! Why must you refuse to accept that Dr. Hieronymous Alloy's Genetically Enhanced Cream Corn Is Superior to the Leading Brand on the Market!?!

Morbid Hound

Ventana posted:

This article is pretty misleading.

That's not just a small problem to handwave away. That's a pretty big confound and discredits their conclusion completely.

It's even worse when they compare to the WP's polling question that happened around the same time which showed a much different result....because it was framed as a much more straightforward question and wasn't as close to being a leading question.

It's also quite possible, from the way that question is framed, that people don't trust Mueller because they are worried that he won't pursue the investigation strongly but rather will let Trump & Co. slide.

There Bias Two
Jan 13, 2009
I'm not a good person

Post 9-11 User posted:

The President just committed a hate crime in public, calling Warren, "Pocahontas."

You realize he and many others have been publicly doing this on record for months, right?

Ammanas
Jul 17, 2005

Voltes V: "Laser swooooooooord!"
Trump calls Warren Pocahontas because Warren claimed some native American ethnicity for college applications or something a long time ago.

Post 9-11 User posted:

Yep you got him
Great job friend

Ammanas fucked around with this message at 13:20 on Nov 3, 2017

Chilichimp
Oct 24, 2006

TIE Adv xWampa

It wamp, and it stomp

Grimey Drawer

Beefeater1980 posted:

What's the lunatic US right wing got against Cricket? It's a legit Anglo-Saxon invention, I thought they liked that kind of thing (even if most of the money in the professional sport is now from South Asia).

Easy, I got this one you guys.

*ahem*

Brown people play it. Le Fin

Right-wing white people basically anywhere but Indiana also largely hate the NBA.

Ague Proof
Jun 5, 2014

they told me
I was everything
Lead by a moron.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Chilichimp
Oct 24, 2006

TIE Adv xWampa

It wamp, and it stomp

Grimey Drawer

Party Plane Jones posted:

Counterpoint, Trump got a higher percentage of the hispanic votes than Romney did, which is, uh, surprising.

A shockingly large percentage of Hispanics oppose illegal immigration. The Republicans have been courting that demographic for years.

I'm sure Hispanic kids growing up in red states had to wear that veneer of being against Hispanic stereotypes just to get by, and, through a form of Stockholm Syndrome, just started believing it.

• Locked thread