Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Ularg
Mar 2, 2010

Just tell me I'm exotic.
He wants more nukes so he can show the world how tough he is. Nothing more, nothing less.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

voltroon
Apr 29, 2009

Annointed posted:

That and he hates things that are more popular/cherished than him, so why not strip mine the Grand Canyon?

The grand canyon is large, orange, and beautiful. He's jealous of the competition.

Jonas Albrecht
Jun 7, 2012

I don't want to be an alarmist, but please, if it's in your capacity to do so, please help protect the Grand Canyon from Trump's bestial dipshittery.

Babylon Astronaut
Apr 19, 2012
It's funny. Not only are going to lose natural wonders like the great barrier reef, we will lose things that should only be getting better with time, by being this stupid. It's intrepid, ruining a loving hole in the ground.

Dejawesp
Jan 8, 2017

You have to follow the beat!
Considering that twitter as a whole probably depends on Trump just to get by these days as a brand. I'm surprised anyone could delete his account without a set of literal iron keys held by each of the board members and a retinal scan from Jack Dorsey.

Rinkles
Oct 24, 2010

What I'm getting at is...
Do you feel the same way?

Dejawesp posted:

Considering that twitter as a whole probably depend on Trump just to get by these days as a brand. I'm surprised anyone could delete his account without a set of literal iron keys held by each of the board members and a retinal scan from Jack Dorsey.

It probably literally is treated like every other account.

Crain
Jun 27, 2007

I had a beer once with Stephen Miller and now I like him.

I also tried to ban someone from a Discord for pointing out what an unrelenting shithead I am! I'm even dumb enough to think it worked!

Annointed posted:

Thank you & everyone else for the effort posts explaining why the right wing party was acting this way. On one hand it's surprisingly comfortable to no longer be the beatstick the GOP uses on other minorities. On the other hand oh, genocide.

And it's going to keep going even in regards to groups that have been able to obtain the coveted designation of "white".

You think the WASPS are going to keep accepting Italians? Polish people? gently caress they'll go hard 18th century and start making GBS threads on the Dutch and Irish again.

There is ALWAYS another other to blame and doing so never solves the problems that the "core" demographic tells their lower class denizens it will solve.

That's why I laugh extra hard at my right wing acquaintances (mostly family) who fall under those deep historically disenfranchised peoples. Motherfuckers, you know you're on the goddamned list. It's just a few extra steps to get back to you.

Kavros
May 18, 2011

sleep sleep sleep
fly fly post post
sleep sleep sleep

Annointed posted:

Thank you & everyone else for the effort posts explaining why the right wing party was acting this way. On one hand it's surprisingly comfortable to no longer be the beatstick the GOP uses on other minorities. On the other hand oh, genocide.

One interesting thing related to that is the history of contemporary nonwhite american ideology. Specific Asian ethnicity (especially initial immigrant generations) used to be solid red locks. If you're in your 20's or 30's and your parents were first or second generation, they stood a two out of three chance of being more conservative than liberal. If they were from groups that were fleeing maoist/communist regimes, like Vietnamese Americans, they were probably solidly conservative. Like with elements of the Cuban population and whole swaths of deeply religious Catholic conservative latinos, the GOP had entire nonwhite identities solidly in their camp.

Today, that's all hosed and gone. Even the Vietnamese American community community is blue. And we don't even need to wonder about groups like Puerto Ricans or those sympathetic to latino identity concerns by being in the same boat. It's all gone. The GOP has alienated every nonwhite demo. It's completely gone.

pillsburysoldier
Feb 11, 2008

Yo, peep that shit

Kavros posted:

One interesting thing related to that is the history of contemporary nonwhite american ideology. Specific Asian ethnicity (especially initial immigrant generations) used to be solid red locks. If you're in your 20's or 30's and your parents were first or second generation, they stood a two out of three chance of being more conservative than liberal. If they were from groups that were fleeing maoist/communist regimes, like Vietnamese Americans, they were probably solidly conservative. Like with elements of the Cuban population and whole swaths of deeply religious Catholic conservative latinos, the GOP had entire nonwhite identities solidly in their camp.

Today, that's all hosed and gone. Even the Vietnamese American community community is blue. And we don't even need to wonder about groups like Puerto Ricans or those sympathetic to latino identity concerns by being in the same boat. It's all gone. The GOP has alienated every nonwhite demo. It's completely gone.

For younger ones. Hispanics over the age of 45 can still be solid R's in spite of all of this.

The "they're only attacking the BAD HOMBRES" meme sits strong on the older crowd

Party Plane Jones
Jul 1, 2007

by Reene
Fun Shoe

Kavros posted:

Counterpoint, Trump got a higher percentage of the hispanic votes than Romney did, which is, uh, surprising.

Trabisnikof
Dec 24, 2005

Annointed posted:

That and he hates things that are more popular/cherished than him, so why not strip mine the Grand Canyon?

Don't worry, the mines just ruin backcountry hiking and local water supply, but won't bother the tourists up on the rim much.

Snowman_McK
Jan 31, 2010

Party Plane Jones posted:

Counterpoint, Trump got a higher percentage of the hispanic votes than Romney did, which is, uh, surprising.

People keep bringing this up. It was two percentage points difference. It wasn't a massive swing and it was based on exit polls.

Similarly, Trump got a higher percentage of the black vote than McCain or Romney. He got 8%. Which is awful, but it's better than the 0 and 1% that the other two got.

Ague Proof
Jun 5, 2014

they told me
I was everything

Xae posted:

Lawyer: "My client pleads not guilty be reason of mental defect"
Judge: "Are you saying your client is incapable of assisting in his own defense?"
Lawyer: "Fuckin' lol man, check out this 500 page transcript he insisted be published"
Judge: :staredog: Plea Accepted.

Only the lawyer is Carter Page.

Snowman_McK
Jan 31, 2010

Ague Proof posted:

Only the lawyer is Carter Page.

In a fake mustache.

Snowman_McK
Jan 31, 2010
Something I've been thinking about since quite early on in this administration is the idea that he's distracting us. So many headlines on clickbaity sites saying 'while you were obsessing over the stupid thing he said, he did something evil' as if there's a deliberate strategy. The thing about the strategy is that it never actually produces a positive result. Instead of loathing him professionally we loathe him personally. The only thing it's ever determined is the reason why we hate him.

Spite
Jul 27, 2001

Small chance of that...

Snowman_McK posted:

Something I've been thinking about since quite early on in this administration is the idea that he's distracting us. So many headlines on clickbaity sites saying 'while you were obsessing over the stupid thing he said, he did something evil' as if there's a deliberate strategy. The thing about the strategy is that it never actually produces a positive result. Instead of loathing him professionally we loathe him personally. The only thing it's ever determined is the reason why we hate him.

We also literally have Trump's entire life to look at and see that he rarely plans ahead and can never, ever pass up a chance to talk poo poo or rile people up.

If he knows he'll get a reaction he literally can't resist. It's kind of uncanny - and he's been this way for decades.

Snowman_McK
Jan 31, 2010

Spite posted:

We also literally have Trump's entire life to look at and see that he rarely plans ahead and can never, ever pass up a chance to talk poo poo or rile people up.

If he knows he'll get a reaction he literally can't resist. It's kind of uncanny - and he's been this way for decades.

And it's not like the people who would have hated him for the horrifying policy he tried to implement that they didn't hear about are okay with the stupid thing he said that they did.

Name Change
Oct 9, 2005

I think the far more interesting story is how shockingly incompetent the GOP congressional delegation is, which really hits home how Trump is a symptom of the rot and not the cause.

Rinkles
Oct 24, 2010

dont even fink about it posted:

I think the far more interesting story is how shockingly incompetent the GOP congressional delegation is, which really hits home how Trump is a symptom of the rot and not the cause.

Incompetent or cripplingly fractured?

Name Change
Oct 9, 2005

Rinkles posted:

If they were competent they would never in their wildest dreams thought about hitting 401Ks or made a tax bill that only has permanence for corporations.

Name Change
Oct 9, 2005

For example, there are a bunch of red state Democrats that would love to do a tax cut. But Republicans cannot fathom such a strategy as doing bipartisan anything ever.

Ague Proof
Jun 5, 2014

they told me
I was everything
What if Trump's whole campaign, presidency and collusion is all some grand 4d scheme to get Jared arrested so he can marry Ivanka.

Snowman_McK
Jan 31, 2010

Rinkles posted:

what's the practical difference?

That's the other thing I've been thinking about. You could never write a villain in a political thriller or even comedy that was this incompetent. Parks and Recs had Jamm, who was, despite being a pathetic person who'd very much hit his ceiling, frighteningly competent at bending and breaking rules.

Jonas Albrecht
Jun 7, 2012

Ague Proof posted:

What if Trump's whole campaign, presidency and collusion is all some grand 4d scheme to get Jared arrested so he can marry Ivanka.

I can't get past how plausible this is.

Zoro
Aug 30, 2017

by Smythe

Ague Proof posted:

4d(ick) cuckolding

Old Kentucky Shark
May 25, 2012

If you think you're gonna get sympathy from the shark, well then, you won't.

If they were competent they would never in their wildest dreams thought about hitting 401Ks or made a tax bill that only has permanence for corporations.

The way the whole bill is structured is just really loving stupid, from an optics standpoint. It cuts taxes on things most people never see and don't know about, and fucks around eliminating extremely common deductions that everyone knows about, then tries to assure you that the money will be made back by raising standard deductions, on average. Give George Bush some credit; when he did his giant handout to the wealthy, he at least cut taxes across the board so it looked like everyone was getting something back, even if the wealthy got back way loving more.

It's as if they wanted to pick your pocket, but instead of distracting you and slipping a hand in, they just shoved their hand in your pocket and tried to convince you that they were actually putting money in there.

Ague Proof
Jun 5, 2014

they told me
I was everything
Right wing blogger Jenna Abrams, who has 70,000 followers, does not exist, was created by St. Petersburg troll farm

The internet is like the Thing. How many of you are real?!

HackensackBackpack
Aug 20, 2007

Who needs a house out in Hackensack? Is that all you get for your money?

Dejawesp posted:

Considering that twitter as a whole probably depends on Trump just to get by these days as a brand. I'm surprised anyone could delete his account without a set of literal iron keys held by each of the board members and a retinal scan from Jack Dorsey.

I just really love that it was apparently just some dude on his last day who switched Donald Trump's account to off. He probably just peaced out the building after like, "I did my good deed for the day."

Bueno Papi
May 10, 2009

Leofish posted:

I just really love that it was apparently just some dude on his last day who switched Donald Trump's account to off. He probably just peaced out the building after like, "I did my good deed for the day."

Except Trump is probably sending the secret service after that person.

Junior G-man
Sep 15, 2004

Wrapped in a mystery, inside an enigma

I'm not. I'm a creation of Uruguay's intelligence services.

Jonas Albrecht
Jun 7, 2012

I'm real but incredibly dull.

WeAreTheRomans
Feb 23, 2010

by R. Guyovich

I'm convinced glowing-fish is a puppet account for the USGS

I'm 70000 Russians

Aves Maria!
Jul 26, 2008

Maybe I'll drown

WeAreTheRomans posted:

I'm convinced glowing-fish is a puppet account for the USGS

https://geomaps.wr.usgs.gov/parks/province/appalach.html

quote:

A look at rocks exposed in today's Appalachian mountains

Well that kills that theory.

Boris Galerkin
Dec 17, 2011

I don't understand why I can't harass people online. Seriously, somebody please explain why I shouldn't be allowed to stalk others on social media!
Do we have troll farms?

WeAreTheRomans
Feb 23, 2010

by R. Guyovich

It's all about muddying the waters, so no one can tell what's a mountain, and what's just a gentle sloping hill

HackensackBackpack
Aug 20, 2007

Who needs a house out in Hackensack? Is that all you get for your money?

Bueno Papi posted:

Except Trump is probably sending the secret service after that person.

After all this Seth Rich poo poo, watch Trump literally have someone murdered.

Ularg
Mar 2, 2010

Just tell me I'm exotic.

Leofish posted:

He was probably the last employee at twitter who actually knew how to ban/delete accounts.

Rinkles
Oct 24, 2010

So... is it tinfoil hat to think Roger Stone may have gone on a curse filled Twitter tirade under the cover of unhinged anger (more than once) to get his account intentionally banned, thus (potentially) making accessing his DMs more difficult?

The FBI has access to private FB messages, don't know if Twitter DMs are more protected. Also don't know if it's the sort of thing Twitter is required to delete upon account termination.

E: he could delete it on his own but that would seem suspicious/maybe get him in trouble for obstruction?

Rinkles fucked around with this message at 11:02 on Nov 3, 2017

Dejawesp
Jan 8, 2017

You have to follow the beat!

Boris Galerkin posted:

Do we have troll farms?

Congress.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ague Proof
Jun 5, 2014

they told me
I was everything

Rinkles posted:

So... is it tinfoil hat to think Roger Stone may have gone on a curse filled Twitter tirade under the cover of unhinged anger (more than once) to get his account intentionally banned, thus (potentially) making accessing his DMs more difficult?

The FBI has access to private FB messages, don't know if Twitter DMs are more protected. Also don't know if it's the sort of thing Twitter is required to delete upon account termination.

That seems believable. That Stone would believe it would work, not that it actually would.

• Locked thread