Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Boosh!
Apr 12, 2002
Oven Wrangler

Regy Rusty posted:

Are you talking to him as a girl

Yeah. Bozai says "Next time ... For S]sure ... We will ... go on... a da...date...."

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Captain Invictus
Apr 5, 2005

Try reading some manga!

Clever Betty
I have not done anything with the camera yet, anything insanely important it's for? Like I took a picture of a blupee for a quest but other than little stuff like that nothing.

Jonas Albrecht
Jun 7, 2012

Captain Invictus posted:

I have not done anything with the camera yet, anything insanely important it's for? Like I took a picture of a blupee for a quest but other than little stuff like that nothing.

It's fun to take goofy selfies. Also I guess filling out the compendium is a goal for some.

Bombadilillo
Feb 28, 2009

The dock really fucks a case or nerfing it.

Zore posted:

It does on the pause screen.

Worth noting, so do your other cooldowns in the key items inventory. They have the on screen graphic but if you really want to know if you have 30 seconds or 3 minutes left in a boss fight its on there.

Harrow
Jun 30, 2012

Finished my run through Wind Waker HD last night, really love that game.

Back to Twilight Princess HD and now that I have the Master Sword I'm starting to get more into the groove of it. I like how many of the classic, "mandatory" items they give you early on--I feel like there isn't a lot in my way now and I'm only three dungeons in, which is good. Gerudo Desert is fun so far, too.

Here's a question for Twilight Princess: are the Twili supposed to be Gerudo? I'm guessing probably not, but, well, you only see one Gerudo in Twilight Princess (Ganondorf), and Midna mentions that a whole tribe of people was banished to the Twilight Realm by the gods. Did they punish all the Gerudo for Ganondorf's misdeeds? Again, I'm pretty sure I'd have read about it if literally anyone else thought that was the implication, but I thought I'd ask.

El Burbo
Oct 10, 2012

Boosh! posted:

Yeah. Bozai says "Next time ... For S]sure ... We will ... go on... a da...date...."

Sounds like he's asleep

Wait till morning

grilldos
Mar 27, 2004

BUST A LOAF
IN THIS
YEAST CONFECTION
Grimey Drawer
If you're wearing the boots you're not a full woman.

veni veni veni
Jun 5, 2005

Harrow posted:

To be fair, you skipped half of it.

But the story definitely isn't the main draw here. I thought it was interesting enough, especially once I had all the memories and could see them in order, but I also think the story in this is most interesting in broad strokes. The details aren't particularly interesting, but the big picture is pretty great. It's unique to have a Zelda story where the equivalent of the classic Zelda narrative already happened and failed, for example, and the setting concept--with the Guardians and Sheikah magitech--is great, too. I also like this version of Zelda, though the limits they placed on themselves with the memory cutscene structure does mean she doesn't get to have quite as much depth as she could.

Well, I got like 7 of the shrines. I figured that was enough to decide I wasn't that interested in it.

I do agree the big picture was pretty cool. It was a good setup for a game. I just felt content with the "princess is stuck in a castle. Go to the castle" and didn't care much about the details. Zelda has always been more about gameplay to me anyways.

I was much more interested with the in game, visual story telling which was very good.

Harrow
Jun 30, 2012

veni veni veni posted:

Well, I got like 7 of the shrines. I figured that was enough to decide I wasn't that interested in it.

I do agree the big picture was pretty cool. It was a good setup for a game. I just felt content with the "princess is stuck in a castle. Go to the castle" and didn't care much about the details. Zelda has always been more about gameplay to me anyways.

I was much more interested with the in game, visual story telling which was very good.

Some of the shrines are really good, if you like puzzles at all. While a lot of them are small and simplistic (or just combat trials), there are a handful that are pretty involved. Shora Hah (Blue Flame) and Kaam Ya'tak (A Trial of Power) are my favorite puzzle shrines, not to mention Eventide Isle and the Typhlo Ruins, where the actual shrine challenge is outside the shrine. If you like puzzles I'd recommend just googling where to find those and doing those, just because they're fun and honestly better than the majority of the dungeons.

veni veni veni
Jun 5, 2005

Harrow posted:

Some of the shrines are really good, if you like puzzles at all. While a lot of them are small and simplistic (or just combat trials), there are a handful that are pretty involved. Shora Hah (Blue Flame) and Kaam Ya'tak (A Trial of Power) are my favorite puzzle shrines, not to mention Eventide Isle and the Typhlo Ruins, where the actual shrine challenge is outside the shrine. If you like puzzles I'd recommend just googling where to find those and doing those, just because they're fun and honestly better than the majority of the dungeons.

Whoops I meant memories haha. I did around 60 shrines. I enjoyed those a lot.

Cojawfee
May 31, 2006
I think the US is dumb for not using Celsius
I'm really mad that scanning the oot amiibo doesn't spawn a baby epona.

Captain Invictus
Apr 5, 2005

Try reading some manga!

Clever Betty

veni veni veni posted:

If you're not interested in hunting down the locations, I recommend at least checking out the memory cutscenes on youtube. Here's an in-order list of'em.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PMP_M39rpkw&hd=1

veni veni veni
Jun 5, 2005

Nice. I'll check that out at lunch. It's less that I didn't want to watch them and more that I didn't want to play hunt and peck to find them after like 60 hours of video games in 3 weeks haha.

Captain Invictus
Apr 5, 2005

Try reading some manga!

Clever Betty
Yeah, can't blame you, though I did have fun triangulating the positions for most of them since the areas are generally the same, but 100 years different, so the one I had the most trouble with was the one overlooking the moblin bog base thing since I thought that was some small lake with a ruined temple in it. Then I finally noticed the lost woods in the photo and everything clicked on its location.

Also once you watch that memories video, if you've beat it you might as well watch the true ending which unlocks after getting all the memories.

veni veni veni
Jun 5, 2005

One that surprised me was the one in between Zelda's bedroom and study on the bridge. That area seemed really easily missable and that little stretch of info (the cut scene and the diaries)was probably more important than the actual ending.

the truth
Dec 16, 2007

Not sure if this game would have benefited from some sort of Triforce hunt or at least more Triforce lore. It's usually the same poo poo in every game, but it was almost completely absent from this game. It was weird to have it be almost entirely absent from the game, but it was nice to have it make a my least a brief appearance.

Harrow
Jun 30, 2012

The painter who can help you find memory locations is really helpful if you're trying to track them all down, especially the couple of memories that are in similar-looking woods. I wouldn't have been able to do it without that guy's hints, that's for sure.

the truth posted:

Not sure if this game would have benefited from some sort of Triforce hunt or at least more Triforce lore. It's usually the same poo poo in every game, but it was almost completely absent from this game. It was weird to have it be almost entirely absent from the game, but it was nice to have it make a my least a brief appearance.

I got the feeling from Breath of the Wild that by this time, a lot of the old legends and lore have been forgotten or twisted over time, which I thought was pretty cool. Like people don't seem to know the Master Sword's name and its original epithet, "the sword of evil's bane," is even twisted into something else. Nobody talks about the Triforce or refers to the goddesses by name.

Harrow fucked around with this message at 18:37 on Apr 2, 2017

Beve Stuscemi
Jun 6, 2001

Just had to skip ahead a bunch of pages in this thread, so I might have missed it, but has anyone (i.e. DigitalFoundry) done a real FPS compare on the release version vs the 1.1.1 update that's more than just "hey this looks somewhat better maybe"?

Waltzing Along
Jun 14, 2008

There's only one
Human race
Many faces
Everybody belongs here
Zelda: it's about the journey not the destination because the end sucks and is among the worst in the series.

Copper Vein
Mar 14, 2007

...and we liked it that way.

Harrow posted:

The painter who can help you find memory locations is really helpful if you're trying to track them all down, especially the couple of memories that are in similar-looking woods. I wouldn't have been able to do it without that guy's hints, that's for sure.

One aspect of the game that I wish had been more directly communicated to the player was that Pikango will point you to the memory locations.

The painter's help is gated behind the quest to find a great fairy, but in an unfortunate cascade of circumstances, I didn't complete that first step of Pikango's quest for a long time because this was my first Zelda game and I did not understand that the game would not try to trick you with bad choices. I didn't know what the gently caress great fairies did, and she was not being subtle about her intentions to take my money, so I didn't pay the fairy, didn't unlock Pikango's assistance in other locations, and wasn't introduced to upgrading armor on top of that.

So I went a long, long way hunting down memory locations by myself in lovely armor, and it is to this game's credit that I was still able to progress in that fashion.

Captain Invictus
Apr 5, 2005

Try reading some manga!

Clever Betty

Waltzing Along posted:

Zelda: it's about the journey not the destination because the end sucks and is among the worst in the series.

Ah, hm, um, no.

John Wick of Dogs
Mar 4, 2017

A real hellraiser

I can't get any star pieces! I just need one more for fully upgrading my diamond circlet. I've gone to dueling peaks and watched the sky, that worked three times. But ever since I go there every night and no star pieces drop. Phase of the moon doesn't matter. I've had them drop during every phase before and not drop at all during a full moon.

ROJO
Jan 14, 2006

Oven Wrangler

a.lo posted:

Next is Zelda in space.

And they already have the concept art for it (from Hyrule Historia):

Harrow
Jun 30, 2012

Waltzing Along posted:

Nah. The final boss's final form is a pushover but it's basically just an interactive cinematic and the fight before it is cool. And the ending itself is about as long and detailed as any other 3D Zelda ending at this point, at least if you get all the memories. Also Hyrule Castle is a rad as gently caress dungeon if you take the time to explore it. I hope future Zelda games have more "just a dungeon crawl through an elaborate structure full of the toughest monsters" dungeons, because that was fun.

Augus
Mar 9, 2015

Waltzing Along posted:

nah

spit on my clit
Jul 19, 2015

by Cyrano4747

parallelodad posted:

I can't get any star pieces! I just need one more for fully upgrading my diamond circlet. I've gone to dueling peaks and watched the sky, that worked three times. But ever since I go there every night and no star pieces drop. Phase of the moon doesn't matter. I've had them drop during every phase before and not drop at all during a full moon.

Kill silver lynels :kheldragar:

Captain Invictus
Apr 5, 2005

Try reading some manga!

Clever Betty

Harrow posted:

Nah. The final boss's final form is a pushover but it's basically just an interactive cinematic and the fight before it is cool. And the ending itself is about as long and detailed as any other 3D Zelda ending at this point, at least if you get all the memories. Also Hyrule Castle is a rad as gently caress dungeon if you take the time to explore it. I hope future Zelda games have more "just a dungeon crawl through an elaborate structure full of the toughest monsters" dungeons, because that was fun.
I had actually explored some of Hyrule Castle early in the game when searching for the memory, and actually made it to right before Ganon before turning away. Not because I realized it was the PONR, but because I ran out of Ancient Arrows right before, and had to book it since I was still a six heart weenie. :v:

I made it a point to charge through the front gates and not climb at all on my final ascent, and it was totally worth it.

parallelodad posted:

Silver Lynels have a chance to drop them. I've gotten 3 out of them.

Watermelon Daiquiri
Jul 10, 2010
I TRIED TO BAIT THE TXPOL THREAD WITH THE WORLD'S WORST POSSIBLE TAKE AND ALL I GOT WAS THIS STUPID AVATAR.

ROJO posted:

And they already have the concept art for it (from Hyrule Historia):

... is she a furry

Section Z
Oct 1, 2008

Wait, this is the Moon.
How did I even get here?

Pillbug

Watermelon Daiquiri posted:

... is she a furry

She's from Dimension-X

Ron Paul Atreides
Apr 19, 2012

Uyghurs situation in Xinjiang? Just a police action, do not fret. Not ongoing genocide like in EVIL Canada.

I am definitely not a tankie.
Yo goon ever important question here

get it for the Wii U or wait until the switch has a v2 and more games and buy it for that

thoughts

Harrow
Jun 30, 2012

I'd say get it for Wii U unless you only vaguely want to play it and can wait a year or two.

It has more frame rate issues on Wii U and a lower resolution (720p as opposed to the Switch's 900p in TV mode), but is otherwise identical.

Ron Paul Atreides
Apr 19, 2012

Uyghurs situation in Xinjiang? Just a police action, do not fret. Not ongoing genocide like in EVIL Canada.

I am definitely not a tankie.

Harrow posted:

I'd say get it for Wii U unless you only vaguely want to play it and can wait a year or two.

It has more frame rate issues on Wii U and a lower resolution (720p as opposed to the Switch's 900p in TV mode), but is otherwise identical.

But like not to the degree it's unplayable or anything yeah?

Harrow
Jun 30, 2012

Ron Paul Atreides posted:

But like not to the degree it's unplayable or anything yeah?

Oh definitely not unplayable, I played on Wii U and it was fine. The frame rate drops pretty consistently in towns or really graphically-dense areas but it's totally playable and still looks really nice.

Beve Stuscemi
Jun 6, 2001

Play it in the Wii U now, then sell it and re-buy it on the switch for a second run through when the switch is worth buying (Christmas at least).

I'm playing it on the Wii U and it runs good. Yeah some areas lock to 20fps due to the triple buffer vsync, but it looks beautiful and Link still controls awesomely which is 95% of my enjoyment factor with this game.

I'd say buy it on the Wii U just to marvel at the fact that a game of this scale and scope can even run on the Wii U and then get really depressed that the one game to really showcase what the Wii U is capable of was also the game that officially killed it. :smith:

Beve Stuscemi fucked around with this message at 19:44 on Apr 2, 2017

BurntCornMuffin
Jan 9, 2009

Waltzing Along posted:

I'm sorry, but nothing will be worse than TP's Ganondorf's death scene.

It felt like this, except he didn't even bother to fall over after all the screaming, he just kinda stood there:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nAdniWncWu4

BurntCornMuffin fucked around with this message at 19:52 on Apr 2, 2017

Bruceski
Aug 21, 2007

The tools of a hero mean nothing without a solid core.

Jim Silly-Balls posted:

Play it in the Wii U now, then sell it and re-buy it on the switch for a second run through when the switch is worth buying (Christmas at least).

I'm playing it on the Wii U and it runs good. Yeah some areas lock to 20fps due to the triple buffer vsync, but it looks beautiful and Link still controls awesomely which is 95% of my enjoyment factor with this game.

I'd say buy it on the Wii U just to marvel at the fact that a game of this scale and scope can even run on the Wii U and then get really depressed that the one game to really showcase what the Wii U is capable of was also the game that officially killed it. :smith:

I thought the game looked good just playing on the tablet screen, then I replaced my old CRT TV with a modern one and WOW. This game looks great.

Runcible Cat
May 28, 2007

Ignoring this post

parallelodad posted:

Have you got the ones from the kid at the stable and whichever shrine it is?

John Wick of Dogs
Mar 4, 2017

A real hellraiser

Runcible Cat posted:

Have you got the ones from the kid at the stable and whichever shrine it is?

Yeah

Watermelon Daiquiri
Jul 10, 2010
I TRIED TO BAIT THE TXPOL THREAD WITH THE WORLD'S WORST POSSIBLE TAKE AND ALL I GOT WAS THIS STUPID AVATAR.
.... Crap there are a 120 shrines? I thought there were only 100! Looks like I'm still not done. Now where the gently caress are the rest of these

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

John Wick of Dogs
Mar 4, 2017

A real hellraiser

I've got 103 shrines now and when the shrine sensor goes off unexpectedly I'm like "what the gently caress? Can it be?"