Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

ZenMasterBullshit
Nov 2, 2011

Restaurant de Nouvelles "À Table" Proudly Presents:
A Climactic Encounter Ending on 1 Negate and a Dream

Fister Roboto posted:

Although I guess it's not entirely fair to lay that entirely at WOW's feet because every Final Fantasy game in the last two decades has had characters named after Star Wars characters.

Yeah but they live to die early or be reoccurring fodder. They don't dedicate instance content to one (bad) joke that we named this Indiana Jones pastiche after his actor.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Beyond the Falcon mount are there any other mounts that have special underwater forms?

EponymousMrYar
Jan 4, 2015

The enemy of my enemy is my enemy.

ZenMasterBullshit posted:

Yeah but they live to die early or be reoccurring fodder. They don't dedicate instance content to one (bad) joke that we named this Indiana Jones pastiche after his actor.

Harrison Jones originally started that way too with him just being an NPC with his own homage quest.

The real difference is that when we get Biggs and Wedge's Excellent Adventure it won't be a thinly veiled retread of their source material films and instead will be an excellent adventure with Biggs and Wedge.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

EponymousMrYar posted:

Harrison Jones originally started that way too with him just being an NPC with his own homage quest.

The real difference is that when we get Biggs and Wedge's Excellent Adventure it won't be a thinly veiled retread of their source material films and instead will be an excellent adventure with Biggs and Wedge.

That's already a quest in the Alexander questline actually.

(forgive the lovely picture it was the first one I could google.)

HiKaizer
Feb 2, 2012

Yes!
I finally understand everything there is to know about axes!

cheetah7071 posted:

I have never once seen anyone make a sexual comment in an instance on primal data center. I assume you're on Aether and Balmung is ruining everything.

I've been playing on Cactuar since launch and the only weirdness I've seen from Balmung leak into DF was one LLDR where a pair of people talked about taking home the wenches from Sastasha NM as 'slaves' and 'playing' with them and talking about the Lalas in there in particular. They didn't stop after I asked them to so I reported them for being creeps. And that was it.

People really overstate Balmung a lot. The craziness in there is less interested in doing dungeons with random people than doing dungeons with other people from their groups or rping on their own server. Generally the worst you see are funny or cringe-worthy macros once in a while, or PLDs who refuse to equip a shield because it ruins their aesthetic and they don't care about the stats.

Tyty
Feb 20, 2012

Night-vision Goggles Equipped!

That explains the pld we had on my first time through the final story dungeon last month, though he was missing the entire right side and was wearing gear far below level 50 despite being level synced.

Other than that I haven't bumped onto too much weirdness on cactuar either besides the odd raise macro text.

Countblanc
Apr 20, 2005

Help a hero out!

lol

EponymousMrYar
Jan 4, 2015

The enemy of my enemy is my enemy.

ImpAtom posted:

That's already a quest in the Alexander questline actually.

I mean their Real Excellent Adventure where they do more than make kettles and bang machines together to get results.

Where they sit around the campfire with you and reminisce about the good days with Jessie and Cid and curse about tea and whatnot.

HackensackBackpack
Aug 20, 2007

Who needs a house out in Hackensack? Is that all you get for your money?

HiKaizer posted:

PLDs who refuse to equip a shield because it ruins their aesthetic and they don't care about the stats.

There's a fix for that now! :v:

Blueberry Pancakes
Aug 18, 2012

Jack in!! MegaMan, Execute!
Is there anywhere I can share a recruitment code? Trying to get the Draught Chocobo.

Obligatum VII
May 5, 2014

Haunting you until no 8 arrives.

Mr. Nice! posted:

Not at all. You can run any dungeon in the game with four dps, four healers, or four tanks and many of them with only 2 people regardless of role. We've queued up premades plenty of times with wrong compositions for expert and other roulettes and still crushed it.

a 4 DPS EXDR run sounds exciting. Do you manage to kill things fast enough that damage isn't an issue or does it come down to trading around aggro so no one is stuck taking too many hits?

Edit: Having a RDM for Vercure is cheating

Edit 2: I actually really want to try a 4 DPS with no RDM run of one of the EXDR dungeons now, just to see if it can be done.

Obligatum VII fucked around with this message at 00:55 on Sep 6, 2017

Velthice
Dec 12, 2010

Lipstick Apathy
I personally feel like Bardam's would be way harder to do a nonstandard comp on than any expert dungeon.

Obligatum VII
May 5, 2014

Haunting you until no 8 arrives.

Velthice posted:

I personally feel like Bardam's would be way harder to do a nonstandard comp on than any expert dungeon.

Given the ilvl syncing and a lot of classes not having a full kit, I'd say so, yeah.

GreenBuckanneer
Sep 15, 2007

Appaarently you can get Zhloe's reputation up, but how do you do that? I can't find any info about it.

Ghost of Starman
Mar 9, 2008
I just wanted to chime in to say that FFXIV has a startlingly chill, well-behaved general population (playing mostly on Marlboro) - which is part of what makes the real assholes stand out so much.

Wish the random folks in PF were slightly more on-the-ball, but at least its mostly honest ignorance and not maliciousness. And all my ACT parses so far have logged me as doing about half the damage as the other DPS, so maybe I'm the bad?
:shrug:

Tenik
Jun 23, 2010

The people who play FFXIV are remarkably laid back, especially compared to other mmos. It's telling that most people only have one or two stories of jerks, instead of discussing bad experiences in terms of general trends.

Hobgoblin2099 posted:

Is there anywhere I can share a recruitment code? Trying to get the Draught Chocobo.

post it in this thread https://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3726688

GreenBuckanneer posted:

Appaarently you can get Zhloe's reputation up, but how do you do that? I can't find any info about it.

talk to her to start her quests. You can deliver 6 items/week to her to increase your reputation with her. The amount of scrips you get increase with your rank.

Blueberry Pancakes
Aug 18, 2012

Jack in!! MegaMan, Execute!
Thank you.

Probad
Feb 24, 2013

I want to believe!
When I was trying out Dark Knight I had a DPS flame out after the second pull of Brayflox (Normal) because "it's all I and the healer can do to keep you alive!"

The healer was just doing some DPS. We didn't have any problems then or for the rest of the run after that guy quit.

That is my bad party dynamics story.

Helpimscared
Jun 16, 2014

Why should I try this MMO? Why would I want to play it over going back to WoW?

cheetah7071
Oct 20, 2010

honk honk
College Slice

Helpimscared posted:

If you have a max level wow character you probably shouldn't tbh. If you'd be playing catchup in either game then it's closer but someone who's played wow will have to write the effortpost

SwissArmyDruid
Feb 14, 2014

by sebmojo

Helpimscared posted:

It doesn't have decades of Chris Metzen masturbating furiously to his corruption fetish.

Bolow
Feb 27, 2007

Helpimscared posted:

I just started playing after quitting WoW after 8yrs because my raiding guild died. The questing experience feels better, although there's a fair amount of travel you can teleport everywhere so it's nowhere near as painful as it was in Vanilla/BC. The few dungeons I've done are much better than basically anything I've done in WoW ever.

Also I finally hit 50 :toot:

homeless snail
Mar 14, 2007

Bolow posted:

Also I finally hit 50 :toot:
Congrats, now make sure you do the big 50 story instances in a cool group that will let you watch the cutscenes cause while DF people are pretty friendly they are allergic to cutscenes.

DanZX
May 5, 2015

I'm new at MMOs and I would like to ask you guys some questions.

First, I'll be playing with some friends and they suggested that I should focus on a DPS job. For someone who is kinda poo poo at all this, what class would you recommend for me?

Second, mostly I'll be playing on a vita because the PS4 is connected to the family tv and my wife and son use it. I don't want to be a dick and use the tv for something like grinding or doing simple quests. What control options or modifications would you recommend for the best vita experience?

And third, as I don't have much experience with MMOs I'll be starting with the free trial. Are there any guides to make the most out of that? I'm planning on subscribing if I end up liking it, but I don't want to spend money on a game I'm not sure to enjoy.

Thanks and sorry for derailing with dumb questions.

vOv
Feb 8, 2014

SwissArmyDruid posted:

It doesn't have decades of Chris Metzen masturbating furiously to his corruption fetish.

I dunno, the whole tempering thing, Louisoix, Ishgardians turning into dragons, Nidhogg possessing Estinien, the last boss of LotA being a former revolutionary, Grynewaht getting turned into a monster, the boss of Haukke being a noblewoman who made a deal with the devil...

vOv fucked around with this message at 02:54 on Sep 6, 2017

Reiterpallasch
Nov 3, 2010

Fun Shoe

Helpimscared posted:

anime

Brainamp
Sep 4, 2011

More Zen than Zenyatta

DanZX posted:

Asking about the game is not a derail.

DanZX posted:

First, I'll be playing with some friends and they suggested that I should focus on a DPS job. For someone who is kinda poo poo at all this, what class would you recommend for me?

And third, as I don't have much experience with MMOs I'll be starting with the free trial. Are there any guides to make the most out of that? I'm planning on subscribing if I end up liking it, but I don't want to spend money on a game I'm not sure to enjoy.

Lancer/Dragoon tends to be the first dps most people pick up. All of them are easy enough to learn, so it just comes down to personal preference on if you like melee, ranged, or magic type stuff. The trial has no time limit, so don't feel rushed about minmaxing your time with it.

The Black Stones
May 7, 2007

I POSTED WHAT NOW!?
I just ate a lockout penalty on Ex roulette because healer let tank die on small trash mob and blamed tank for moving out of fairy range.

I then watched as he slowly res tank (no swiftcast) and i slowly ate poo poo to two enemies. I continued watching now dead while healer cast slow Rez again and then no heals and just let fairy heal again.

I don't know why I'm still subbed.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

DanZX posted:

Second, mostly I'll be playing on a vita because the PS4 is connected to the family tv and my wife and son use it. I don't want to be a dick and use the tv for something like grinding or doing simple quests. What control options or modifications would you recommend for the best vita experience?

The only thing I'll add to what people have mentioned is that if you start with Arcanist you'll actually be leveling two jobs (Summoner and Scholar) at once, a DPS and a healer class. This may or may not be to your taste but it will give you extra flexibility if your friend-healer can't be on.

HiKaizer
Feb 2, 2012

Yes!
I finally understand everything there is to know about axes!

Leofish posted:

There's a fix for that now! :v:

Yes, but seeing as this was two weeks ago that some friends encountered them I don't think they either knew or cared about the Emperor's New Shield and glamours. Sometimes people are just bad or lazy, and don't care.

homeless snail
Mar 14, 2007

DanZX posted:

Just pick one with an aesthetic that you like, whether its bows or punching or magic or whatever. If you end up not liking the class you picked its very easy to switch and level up another one. For Vita controls, there are a ton of options in there for customizing the controls and I'd suggest just loving around with them for awhile until you find something comfortable. The default controls will have you holding the back touch a lot which kind of sucks, so I'd consider either switching the crossbar buttons to L/R or setting the crossbars to toggle open rather than hold. FF14 plays really well on remote play, I was always a little nervous to do anything super serious on the Vita but it usually ended up going fine.

DanZX
May 5, 2015

Brainamp posted:

Asking about the game is not a derail.

Lancer/Dragoon tends to be the first dps most people pick up. All of them are easy enough to learn, so it just comes down to personal preference on if you like melee, ranged, or magic type stuff. The trial has no time limit, so don't feel rushed about minmaxing your time with it.

Yeah you're rigth, I guess that was dumb of me.
Dragoon? Holy poo poo can I play pretty princess dress up and make my catgirl cosplay as Kain or Aranea?

ImpAtom posted:

The only thing I'll add to what people have mentioned is that if you start with Arcanist you'll actually be leveling two jobs (Summoner and Scholar) at once, a DPS and a healer class. This may or may not be to your taste but it will give you extra flexibility if your friend-healer can't be on.

Interesting, I'll may end up taking Arcanist if summoner ends up being fun, and healing can be helpful for my friends.

Brother Entropy
Dec 27, 2009

DanZX posted:

Dragoon? Holy poo poo can I play pretty princess dress up and make my catgirl cosplay as Kain or Aranea?

yeah you're gonna fit in w/this playerbase just fine

Rastan Beeza
Apr 3, 2016

Pancakes and vegetables are an important part of a dragon's daily diet.

SwissArmyDruid posted:

I never played WoW, but I remember reading a few things about corruption being a reoccuring thing, Ie Deathwing and Nightmare Ysera, I assume it happens often. And how does WoW's storyline(s) compare to FFXIV's?

Countblanc
Apr 20, 2005

Help a hero out!
I really don't agree with the common wisdom of DPS your first job. Queue times for dungeons are much longer (in a game where you must do them to advance the game) and time to kill while solo-leveling isn't really that different until later levels. I get that tanking and healing have a sort of "you must be This Good to play" feeling behind them but it's seriously hogwash and if you've ever played a video game before it won't be a problem if you actually read your abilities when you get them.

Of course, if you DON'T want to play one of those, don't, but don't avoid them out of fear or whatever. If Warrior or Scholar seems cool play it - you'll always do better playing something you think is cool and interesting more than playing what you think looks easiest unless the skill gap is HUUUUGE (and it isn't in this game).

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Rastan Beeza posted:

I never played WoW, but I remember reading a few things about corruption being a reoccuring thing, Ie Deathwing and Nightmare Ysera, I assume it happens often. And how does WoW's storyline(s) compare to FFXIV's?

I haven't played both but pretty much every friend I have has said that it's either overall better or better starting at the end of the 2.0 storyline.

x1o
Aug 5, 2005

My focus is UNPARALLELED!

Rastan Beeza posted:

I don't know if it's improved because I only played WoW for a year and quit during WoD, but WoW's story is really thin, and pretty much non-existent unless you raid, and even then your character is just one of thousands running around helping the famous NPCs kill stuff. It's also a confusing mess. I much prefer FFXIV's story, because at least it's there, it's about my character, and I'm not concerned it's going to be patched out any time soon.

Ghost of Starman
Mar 9, 2008

DanZX posted:

I'd second the suggestion that among the DPS and at low levels, it mostly comes down to the aesthetics, so if any of them really jump out at you go with that.

PUG - punchmans (becomes a Monk at 30)
LNC - pokemans (becomes Dragoon)
ROG (not technically available til you have 1 class at 10, but that goes pretty fast) - stabmans (becomes Ninja)
ARC - shootmans (becomes Bard)
THM - magicmans (becomes Black Mage)
ACN - petmans (is unique because it becomes both Summoner [DPS] and Scholar [Healer])

Having done at least the first 15 levels of each in the past month or two, my thoughts:

Archer (ARC) absolutely feels the best at low levels - you have plenty of things to do but very little you can screw up, and you get your AoE (area of effect, i.e., group damage) super-early. Pugilist (PUG) was my first-pick because I love Monks wherever they appear, but the martial-arts/stances thing doesn't really feel get interesting until at least level 30 or so, and your ability to AoE is anemic for a long time. Rogue didn't feel right to me until it become Ninja @ 30. Lancer (LNC) is dirt simple. Thaumaturge (THM) feels incomplete until some of it's post-30 spells & abilities, but the central gimmick of yo-yoing your mana is fun and holy poo poo the spell effects are maybe the most satisfying in any MMO I've played. Arcanist (ACN) gets a cute little summonable dog-fox-spirit buddy - I can't decide if it would be an easy pick for a first-timer or if it would just add an extra layer of poo poo to worry about, but it does make playing solo much less painful.

Hope that helps. :shobon:

Countblanc posted:

Of course, if you DON'T want to play one of those, don't, but don't avoid them out of fear or whatever. If Warrior or Scholar seems cool play it - you'll always do better playing something you think is cool and interesting more than playing what you think looks easiest unless the skill gap is HUUUUGE (and it isn't in this game).

Also, seconding this - "it looks cool+fun" trumps everything else. And god knows we could use more Tanks & Healers (who actually read their ability functions >_< ).

Ghost of Starman fucked around with this message at 03:23 on Sep 6, 2017

UHD
Nov 11, 2006

TheHeadSage posted:

I don't know if it's improved because I only played WoW for a year and quit during WoD, but WoW's story is really thin, and pretty much non-existent unless you raid, and even then your character is just one of thousands running around helping the famous NPCs kill stuff.

It's also not very consistent unless you are always caught up. Last time I subbed to WoW I caught up to 110 in the middle of some patch content and suddenly I'm getting world quests from the likes of Illidan and Cenarius. At my point in story progression both of them were still dead.

I was also getting credit for actions I had yet to take (the last world pillar or whatever).

It's kind of jarring.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Bolow
Feb 27, 2007

The thing that really hooked me on FF14's story at the start is that you're not some chosen one or whatever. You're just some random rear end in a top hat among thousands of other random assholes. In fact there's so many assholes around they had to make a guild to keep track of them all so they don't wreak havoc everywhere and can be controlled to an extent. You even see other groups of adventurers bitching about lovely tanks and bad heals.