Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Giblet Plus!
Sep 14, 2004
Does anybody have any advice for my workplace situation?

I have self diagnosed myself with ADHD. At work it is hard for me to stay focused on my tasks. I have developed coping mechanisms of exercising by going up and down an out of the way staircase with my upper body, listening to music while I work on headphones, and finding topics to discuss with my cube neighbors such as guitars and gaming where my high energy level adds to the conversation. These have gotten me by. However, I feel like my coping mechanisms are under attack from other coworkers and I don't know why.

A past boss "caught" me doing my exercise on the stairs, and confronted me, claiming it was a safety risk. I snapped on him, and he went to my current boss.

A women I work with comes by and threatens to get me in trouble for using headphones. She also comes up behind me frequently, and breaks my concentration with rushed questioning about work related items. If I approach her while she's working she yells at me and calls me immature.

Another women who works close to me makes snide comments about my immaturity and need to "grow up" behind my back. I had never even spoken to her before this. I confronted her about it and she doubled down on her statements.

How do avoid these problems with people? I feel that they pick up that I am "different" in some way and use it to harass me. I have tried ignoring them and playing the bigger man, but this seems to increase my stress level and make my ADHD symptoms worse. Whenever I confront them about their harassment, it seems to encourage them to step up their harassment.

I have an offer from another job that I will be taking in the next month, but I would like to be able to avoid these problems in the future.

Giblet Plus! fucked around with this message at 05:09 on Apr 21, 2011

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

signalnoise
Mar 7, 2008

i was told my old av was distracting

Giblet Plus! posted:

I have self diagnosed myself with ADHD.

I have an offer from another job that I will be taking in the next month, but I would like to be able to avoid these problems in the future.

Get a diagnosis?

ultrafilter
Aug 23, 2007

It's okay if you have any questions.

signalnoise posted:

Get a diagnosis?

This. Self-diagnoses aren't worth a drat thing, and with an actual diagnosis, you're entitled to some degree of protection under the ADA.

TheGopher
Sep 7, 2009

ultrafilter posted:

Self-diagnoses aren't worth a drat thing

The only three options for dealing with ADHD are: medication, therapy, personal coping skills.

Guess which two of those require a formal diagnosis.

Giblet Plus!
Sep 14, 2004
Which type of doctor do you guys recommend seeing? Psychiatrist? Psychologist? Other?

TheGopher
Sep 7, 2009
Psychiatrist for medication and diagnosis, psychologist for therapy and everything else.

Good luck.

Qu Appelle
Nov 3, 2005

"If a COVID-19 pandemic occurs, public health officials may have additional instructions, such as avoiding close contact with others as much as possible, and staying home if someone in your household is sick." - Official insights from Public Health: Seattle & King County staff

Nthing the suggestion to 'get a diagnosis' ASAP. Even if it's with your GP. I'd call them first thing tomorrow and at least get the ball rolling.

Now, here are some concrete things that might help in the meantime:

1. Instead of exercising up and down the stairs, can you just take a walk around the block instead? Maybe to a local coffee shop and back? That's what I do.

2. The lady that interrupts you and breaks your concentration - calmly approach her and request that she email you her questions instead, if that's at all possible. And ask if you can do the same thing with her if you have questions you have to ask her. That might help smooth out things quite a bit. I did that at my last job, and it worked out well.

3. Do you know if listening to music on your headphones is even OK? You might want to clarify that. If it is, then that works in your favor. If it isn't, then I'd be mindful about using them.

4. These conversations with coworkers - are you starting them, or are others talking and you just joining in? If you're starting them, I'd just stop. It may be a distraction to the other employees, yet they're too nice to say anything. Personally, I really don't talk to my coworkers about *anything* at work. I mean, I'm nice and I say 'hi!' to them and all, but I go to work to work my 8 hours, then get the hell out - and while my coworkers are awesome, they're not my friends.

Just to use me as an example: They don't need to know what metal shows I'm heading to this weekend, what my political views are, who my favorite soccer player is and why, that I'm a Goon OMG YOU HAVE STAIRS TOO?!, fascinating facts about Uruguay, or any other conversational thoughts that come to my head. I may consequently come off as the most bland employee ever, but again - I'm there to work, not to play or socialize (though my job is pretty fun). And if others try to bait me or involve me in some conversation about some contentions topic, I just nod, smile, and say some bland missive to get out of it - because again, no one needs to know my views on stuff like this. I learned this last one from personal experience - I used to be the loudmouth that spouted off about everything, and sure enough, I'd offend people and get fired. Then, my Dad gave me the "This is not how you behave in the workplace" Come to Jesus talk, and I actually listened. I haven't really had a problem since.

Hopefully this all helps somewhat, and good luck.

Qu Appelle
Nov 3, 2005

"If a COVID-19 pandemic occurs, public health officials may have additional instructions, such as avoiding close contact with others as much as possible, and staying home if someone in your household is sick." - Official insights from Public Health: Seattle & King County staff

TheGopher posted:

Psychiatrist for medication and diagnosis, psychologist for therapy and everything else.

Good luck.

Actually, I would start with the GP, if you have one.

Ideally, you want a Psychiatrist and Psychologist/Therapist. However your GP would be the person who can write the referrals to these folk - and sometimes health insurance needs this, otherwise they won't cover the visits.

Check your Health Insurance plan for specifics. (Of course, I'm assuming you even have health insurance here).

Qu Appelle fucked around with this message at 07:00 on Apr 21, 2011

Qu Appelle
Nov 3, 2005

And I'm just a posting fool here!

Questiontime regarding Dexedrine Spansules:

Now, I've been diagnosed with GERD a few years ago, and I'm the first to admit that I haven't been treating it the best. But, I've been trying to stay away from the problem foods that trigger it, which for me is coffee (even espresso drinks, and even decaf), and taking Prilosec when it flares up. But I don't like being dependent on the Prilosec, and usually I can keep the GERD at bay by watching my diet.

Fast forward to now. I take 5 mg of Dex Spansules generic a day, on the weekdays only. Dex has been upsetting my stomach on and off since I started taking it. However, a couple of weeks ago I had a bad bout of food poisoning, and ever since then, it seems to be REALLY chewing up my stomach, with both nausea and heartburn, especially at night. Anything recommended aside from eating bland foods (which I'm going to start) and taking Prilosec nightly (which I also just started)? I also put a call into my doc, but he's on vacation until next Monday, and I don't consider this an emergency worthy of calling his backup.

I will be really bummed if this drug turns out not to work for me.

Dr. Fraiser Chain
May 18, 2004

Redlining my shit posting machine

Qu Appelle posted:

Now, I've been diagnosed with GERD a few years ago, and I'm the first to admit that I haven't been treating it the best. But, I've been trying to stay away from the problem foods that trigger it, which for me is coffee (even espresso drinks, and even decaf), and taking Prilosec when it flares up. But I don't like being dependent on the Prilosec, and usually I can keep the GERD at bay by watching my diet.

Fast forward to now. I take 5 mg of Dex Spansules generic a day, on the weekdays only. Dex has been upsetting my stomach on and off since I started taking it. However, a couple of weeks ago I had a bad bout of food poisoning, and ever since then, it seems to be REALLY chewing up my stomach, with both nausea and heartburn, especially at night. Anything recommended aside from eating bland foods (which I'm going to start) and taking Prilosec nightly (which I also just started)? I also put a call into my doc, but he's on vacation until next Monday, and I don't consider this an emergency worthy of calling his backup.

I will be really bummed if this drug turns out not to work for me.

You probably already do this and its the obvious answer, but you are taking this drug along with a meal? Sometimes you can avoid stomach upset by eating just before taking the stuff.

Aculard
Oct 15, 2007

by Ozmaugh

Giblet Plus! posted:

Does anybody have any advice for my workplace situation?

I have self diagnosed myself with ADHD.

Unless you are going in for a diagnoses, I really would not consider you to have adhd (yet). The problem with adhd is that there are several other disorders or problems that can masquerade as it. Anxiety, Depression, Sleep Apnea, Bipolar, Thyroid issues...

Secondly, if you do believe you have Adhd you should be finding ways to cope with your emotional outbursts. Snapping at your boss is unacceptable, even if you have a disorder or problem. Doing an impromptu workout in the stairwell is a huge safety risk and he had every right to tell you to stop. If you're not allowed to use headphones, or you're being threatened a write up, why not talk to your boss about the issue? "I work better with headphones on, would it be possible for me to continue using them?"

If working out does help you, try to find a gym to go to on the way to work in the morning or after/during lunch. Do just ignore these coworkers who talk bad about you, because they're a dime a dozen in the office world.

Get that Adhd book, Delivered from Distraction too.

Aculard
Oct 15, 2007

by Ozmaugh

Qu Appelle posted:

Yeah, dexedrine gave me a bit of cramping too. I don't know what my problem is with my stomach, but I was on Nexium for a while, which just got chalked up to "stress related ulcer" or "food allergies".

Definitely take them with food. I feel like rear end when I don't eat before taking them, and then I forget to eat. I've never had a problem with taking a nexium in the morning on bad days a year ago on doctors orders, but I would try the bland food thing first.

Qu Appelle
Nov 3, 2005

Goodpancakes posted:

You probably already do this and its the obvious answer, but you are taking this drug along with a meal? Sometimes you can avoid stomach upset by eating just before taking the stuff.

I am taking it with some food, but probably not enough. Breakfast is usually only a granola bar or a poppyseed muffin at the local bakery, along with either Ovaltine or herbal tea.

Qu Appelle
Nov 3, 2005

Aculard posted:

Definitely take them with food. I feel like rear end when I don't eat before taking them, and then I forget to eat. I've never had a problem with taking a nexium in the morning on bad days a year ago on doctors orders, but I would try the bland food thing first.

Thanks. I found a sheet on a 'bland GERD food diet', and while it sounds as exciting as eating sandpaper, I'm willing to give it a go to help my stomach settle down. And I see my doc in a month or so, and we can discuss it then.

I forget - what do you take now?

Aculard
Oct 15, 2007

by Ozmaugh

Qu Appelle posted:

Thanks. I found a sheet on a 'bland GERD food diet', and while it sounds as exciting as eating sandpaper, I'm willing to give it a go to help my stomach settle down. And I see my doc in a month or so, and we can discuss it then.

I just take the adderall xr when I wake up early enough (20mg). My stomach is still upset but I think I have some lovely food allergy or something and just don't care anymore. I can eat without stabbing pain and that's fine enough for me.

The adderall seems to work too well at 40mg, but not enough at 20, so I might ask my doc to refill at 25mg next time to try it out. I even finally joined a gym but haven't slept well enough to be able to go without going tits up and passing out.

DRP Solved!
Dec 2, 2009

Qu Appelle posted:

Just so you know, these bland diets haven't been shown to help with GERD and all, and are not recommended by most healthcare professionals for that purpose. You would probably be better served taking the Dexedrine with more food and making a food diary to try to find the foods that trigger your GERD (if you haven't been doing so already).

Qu Appelle
Nov 3, 2005

DRP Solved! posted:

Just so you know, these bland diets haven't been shown to help with GERD and all, and are not recommended by most healthcare professionals for that purpose. You would probably be better served taking the Dexedrine with more food and making a food diary to try to find the foods that trigger your GERD (if you haven't been doing so already).

That's what I get for searching for info on the Internet. I think I'll just work on taking the Dex with more good food (such as a sandwich), restricting coffee, and not eating right before bedtime (which are things my doctor has suggested in the past.)

signalnoise
Mar 7, 2008

Qu Appelle posted:

Thanks. I found a sheet on a 'bland GERD food diet', and while it sounds as exciting as eating sandpaper, I'm willing to give it a go to help my stomach settle down.

Sup I take 600mg of zantac every day, works like a charm and I will use it for the rest of my life until something better shows up or I decide to eat nothing but rice, bright vegetables, and protein shakes (then maybe I will only need 300mg a day)

DRP Solved!
Dec 2, 2009

Qu Appelle posted:

That's what I get for searching for info on the Internet. I think I'll just work on taking the Dex with more good food (such as a sandwich), restricting coffee, and not eating right before bedtime (which are things my doctor has suggested in the past.)

You mentioned that you get nighttime symptoms; have you tried elevating the head of your bed about 6-8 inches (or so that your head/back is at a 30-45 degree angle)? Just another thought in addition to eating multiple smaller meals rather than the typical 3 meals per day.

Qu Appelle
Nov 3, 2005

I haven't tried elevating the bed, but that may be the next step. Usually it's under control if I just watch my eating in the evening, but if that doesn't work, I'll do that next.

signalnoise
Mar 7, 2008

Another school-related one. Came to class today and saw someone's printed-out take home test. Ohhhh right. We had a take home test. gently caress

wilfredmerriweathr
Jul 11, 2005
At this point in the semester I'm struggling to just get my poo poo done LATE. Took full course load last year, last summer and this past fall and boy do I need a break. I'm glad my "failure mode" is just not caring and not having a total meltdown. I just..... don't care right now. I want to get to the summer and just do my research!

TheGopher
Sep 7, 2009

cloudstrife2993 posted:

At this point in the semester I'm struggling to just get my poo poo done LATE. Took full course load last year, last summer and this past fall and boy do I need a break. I'm glad my "failure mode" is just not caring and not having a total meltdown. I just..... don't care right now. I want to get to the summer and just do my research!

I know what you mean, but you're in a spot where you're letting yourself fail only because you know you'll get a clean slate next semester. Failure is almost always a self-fulfilling prophecy. As brutal as it will be to try to finish out the semester learning how to avoid this pattern of behavior isn't going to just magically appear. I almost had a full meltdown this week - quitting my job and praying that the place I'm supposed to have a second interview with will hire me, but I'm sticking it out. I've had so many near meltdowns over the last year and you know what, it does get easier. Each time I pull through one of these phases it gets easier and easier to just do the things I need to do.

You only have like 2 more months at most. You can finish the semester by throwing up your arms and calling it a lost cause, feeling guilty about it the entire summer, or you can do what you will have to come to grips with at some point and figure out how to overcome these feelings. I thought I was doomed to a life of repeated failures, but somehow I'm doing OK. I don't want to say that if I can do it, you can too, but I can assure you those feelings of being so hugely overwhelmed are conquerable.

ladyweapon
Nov 6, 2010

It reads all over his face,
like he's an Italian.

signalnoise posted:

Another school-related one. Came to class today and saw someone's printed-out take home test. Ohhhh right. We had a take home test. gently caress

This right here has TANKED a good amount of my grade in math. Oh we had an online quiz? :downs:

wilfredmerriweathr
Jul 11, 2005
Thanks man.

I will get all my stuff done - it just takes a ton of effort for me to get on it. I knew this would happen when I took classes last summer. It's really just one class I'm dealing with right now - I go to a super large state school and my professor and TA in my quantum physics laboratory are so terrible that basically I never know what they want to see in a lab report. Normally I have no problem getting A's but I swear every time I ask them what they want see they tell me something totally different. Seriously, during lab I can ask my TA a question and he'll basically just be like "I don't know." He asked ME a question about the lab today - he genuinely didn't know some super basic info. And the instructor doesnt seem to care. When I have a situation like this, I myself start finding it hard to care.

The main problem with this part of the year I think is that ski season is over but I can't yet go for long mountain bike rides because the trails are too wet.

BUT WAIT - the trails are open tomorrow! Salvation is at hand!

For more E/N, try this on for size: My girlfriend lives in british columbia, but I live in Minnesota. So basically I only get to see her during the summers and christmas/spring break. Uhhhh it sucks (but not enough to stop loving her!)

Edit: holy poo poo online quizzes/homework. I have a hard enough time staying off the computer when I'm trying to do homework. So now you make me go ONLINE to do my HW? And then don't provide any feedback on the stuff I turn in because it's graded by a computer program? Where does my tuition go?

wilfredmerriweathr fucked around with this message at 02:39 on Apr 22, 2011

TheGopher
Sep 7, 2009
If it's any comfort, I'm in a really lovely spot at work too. I work at probably the worst job I've ever had with the best pay I've ever had, but it's totally not worth it. The only way I make it through the day and get any work done is by just not letting it stress me out. It's really as easy as it sounds, because if you really think about it, it doesn't loving matter. There is literally nothing I do at my job that is worth any stress. I simply do my job to the best of my abilities, and leave it at that. I don't know how much of the same philosophy can be applied to school, but if your current situation sucks and there's nothing you can do about it, simply do the best you can and walk away - things probably wont change no matter how hard you try, so find the best compromise you can.

I totally sympathize with you on not having clear directions. Today I was making sales calls (which is totally not my loving job and is the reason I'm hoping I'll get a new one) and finally got a customer to agree to an update. All of a sudden I realized nobody has told me what to do after actually landing a sale, and when I try to go figure it out the bitch acts like I should have known the process all along.

Worst case scenario your life sucks for 2 months and then you have a clean slate. By being successful now you're not allowing those inept idiots to drag you down and negatively impact your life for longer than just these 2 months. You got this one.

wilfredmerriweathr
Jul 11, 2005
Wow, that's my exact philosophy. Word.

Thank you for reminding me that those inept idiots have no right to drag me down!

No matter what happens in this class, it'll be over in a month. What's more, I KNOW the material (as is evidenced by my test grades and the fact that I routinely help others in my lab section) - and that's what really matters to me. Plus my girl just finished her last exam of her Master's coursework today. Life is awesome regardless of my lovely professor. :)

I hope your work situation improves - with your positive attitude I'm sure it will.

TheBigBad
Feb 28, 2004

Madness is rare in individuals, but in groups, parties, nations and ages it is the rule.
Maybe I was born in a different time, but not knowing what professor wants would last about one week. He'd be sick of me taking up his office hours or he'd literally have to say that if I left him alone I would get an A. This is where social unawareness and hyper focus are an asset, in a beauracratic environment like academia.

wilfredmerriweathr
Jul 11, 2005
Oh yeah, you better believe I've been there, done that. This woman literally will tell me "do x,y and z" and then when I do it I get like 50%. Then I bring it back to her and say "I did exactly what you said was required" and she responds with "I said THAT? No, I don't think so. You should have done a, b and c!" So then I go do a, b and c on the next lab. And then get another 50% because "I never told you to do a,b and c on this lab. I told you to do x, y and z!"

Oh, or I get "You'll have to take it up with the grader of that lab." Then you go to the person who graded the lab and they tell you that you need to go talk to the professor. Who just told you to go talk to the grader. Yeah. It's annoying as poo poo. And there's five different graders who each grade certain labs.

Actually it's pretty drat funny aside from affecting my GPA. And this woman has no office hours. Yeah, don't ask me how that even is allowed.

poo poo don't faze me though, I know that I'll be a better person when this class is over for having to deal with it.

wilfredmerriweathr fucked around with this message at 03:49 on Apr 22, 2011

TheGopher
Sep 7, 2009
Take up the office hours issues with an administrator, and get her grading guidelines in writing. If she refuses to accommodate that request, also take that up with an administrator. You're paying for a service you're not receiving. Both of these things fall under "do the best you can and walk away." If the administrator won't help, you've probably done all you can but there's no reason to take it lying down until you've exhausted a few options.

Giblet Plus!
Sep 14, 2004

Qu Appelle posted:

Nthing the suggestion to 'get a diagnosis' ASAP. Even if it's with your GP. I'd call them first thing tomorrow and at least get the ball rolling.

Now, here are some concrete things that might help in the meantime:

1. Instead of exercising up and down the stairs, can you just take a walk around the block instead? Maybe to a local coffee shop and back? That's what I do.

2. The lady that interrupts you and breaks your concentration - calmly approach her and request that she email you her questions instead, if that's at all possible. And ask if you can do the same thing with her if you have questions you have to ask her. That might help smooth out things quite a bit. I did that at my last job, and it worked out well.

3. Do you know if listening to music on your headphones is even OK? You might want to clarify that. If it is, then that works in your favor. If it isn't, then I'd be mindful about using them.

4. These conversations with coworkers - are you starting them, or are others talking and you just joining in? If you're starting them, I'd just stop. It may be a distraction to the other employees, yet they're too nice to say anything. Personally, I really don't talk to my coworkers about *anything* at work. I mean, I'm nice and I say 'hi!' to them and all, but I go to work to work my 8 hours, then get the hell out - and while my coworkers are awesome, they're not my friends.

Just to use me as an example: They don't need to know what metal shows I'm heading to this weekend, what my political views are, who my favorite soccer player is and why, that I'm a Goon OMG YOU HAVE STAIRS TOO?!, fascinating facts about Uruguay, or any other conversational thoughts that come to my head. I may consequently come off as the most bland employee ever, but again - I'm there to work, not to play or socialize (though my job is pretty fun). And if others try to bait me or involve me in some conversation about some contentions topic, I just nod, smile, and say some bland missive to get out of it - because again, no one needs to know my views on stuff like this. I learned this last one from personal experience - I used to be the loudmouth that spouted off about everything, and sure enough, I'd offend people and get fired. Then, my Dad gave me the "This is not how you behave in the workplace" Come to Jesus talk, and I actually listened. I haven't really had a problem since.

Hopefully this all helps somewhat, and good luck.

I will setup an appointment next week. I am pretty sure I have ADHD. My fiancée has observed the textbook symptoms in me. I would like to try the therapy route first. I am not very excited about taking amphetamines daily.

1. It's a security controlled environment and there is really nowhere good to walk.
2. I calmly approached her and she flipped. I think she sees it as her right to rattle people's cages.
3. It's not "okay" but it's the only way I can focus some days. I've never gotten in actual trouble over it, but people use it as a way to harass me.
4. A little of both. Sometimes its very hard for me to stay quiet but I will try.

I have decided to play "the silent type" at my next job. I should start soon. The new job is next to a nature preserve, so I will have a better place to get some exercise and air.

Thank you everyone for the responses

Giblet Plus! fucked around with this message at 04:40 on Apr 22, 2011

Wartime Consigliere
Mar 27, 2010

by T. Fine

Giblet Plus! posted:

I will setup an appointment next week. I am pretty sure I have ADHD. My fiancée has observed the textbook symptoms in me. I would like to try the therapy route first. I am not very excited about taking amphetamines daily.

1. It's a security controlled environment and there is really nowhere good to walk.
2. I calmly approached her and she flipped. I think she sees it as her right to rattle people's cages.
3. It's not "okay" but it's the only way I can focus some days. I've never gotten in actual trouble over it, but people use it as a way to harass me.
4. A little of both. Sometimes its very hard for me to stay quiet but I will try.

I have decided to play "the silent type" at my next job. I should start soon. The new job is next to a nature preserve, so I will have a better place to get some exercise and air.

Thank you everyone for the responses

You might have your fiancee go with you to the doc so she can explain things you are sure to forget. Also, another voice backing up what you are saying.

There's nothing wrong with taking something that can help you immensely. Even my mood is way better because I am not so frustrated with everything all the time.

I would at least be open to trying it and if it isn't for you, well then you know that. But just being against meds without knowing how they work just seems off to me.

TheBigBad
Feb 28, 2004

Madness is rare in individuals, but in groups, parties, nations and ages it is the rule.

cloudstrife2993 posted:

Oh yeah, you better believe I've been there, done that. This woman literally will tell me "do x,y and z" and then when I do it I get like 50%. Then I bring it back to her and say "I did exactly what you said was required" and she responds with "I said THAT? No, I don't think so. You should have done a, b and c!" So then I go do a, b and c on the next lab. And then get another 50% because "I never told you to do a,b and c on this lab. I told you to do x, y and z!"

Oh, or I get "You'll have to take it up with the grader of that lab." Then you go to the person who graded the lab and they tell you that you need to go talk to the professor. Who just told you to go talk to the grader. Yeah. It's annoying as poo poo. And there's five different graders who each grade certain labs.

Actually it's pretty drat funny aside from affecting my GPA. And this woman has no office hours. Yeah, don't ask me how that even is allowed.

poo poo don't faze me though, I know that I'll be a better person when this class is over for having to deal with it.

Also if you have ADHD you should be walking around with a notebook and a pen anyway. I keep one in my back pocket. If you have to follow her out of the classroom and demand an appoint or you're not going to let her out of your sight, you get a meeting or do it right there. When you have meetings, take notes and date them. At the end of the meeting, review what your deliverables are and ask- "Is that correct?"

Using the word "correct" usually stands out because most people will say- "Is that right?" When she tries to deny it you remind her that you took notes, show them, and I asked you if that was correct. Its admissible in court, it will work on a stupid prof.

Also, you can simply say- You are the professor, you will be judging my final grade, I expect you to go over this with me as I followed your instructions- or I can go over it with the head of the department. Rinse and repeat with the Dean. Then the Vice President, then the President of the College, then the Board.

At a certain point- someone will stop you and investigate. It will be waaaaay before the Vice President of the College. In fact, by wasting important people's time they usually just side with you so you stop wasting it. Nothing sucks worse than dismissing someone in the right and getting a call from your boss telling you to fix it. Confidence and sticking to the issue and NEVER the emotion will serve you well.

Funnily enough I was in my e-marketing class when your post came up and I was giving my final presentation and some idiots were drilling and hammering in the hallway. So midway through my presentation I asked everyone to excuse me and I opened the door and yelled at them to stop.

They stopped for about 5 minutes and then started up and so I excused myself again and said I was delivering a presentation for 40% of my grade and you're wrecking my calm. Everyone laughed, as it was not wrecking my calm at all.

The professor said after class- "Thank god you said something because I was about to go out there and lose my poo poo." I dunno why I said all that I just felt like sharing.

Wartime Consigliere
Mar 27, 2010

by T. Fine

TheBigBad posted:

Funnily enough I was in my e-marketing class when your post came up and I was giving my final presentation and some idiots were drilling and hammering in the hallway. So midway through my presentation I asked everyone to excuse me and I opened the door and yelled at them to stop.

They stopped for about 5 minutes and then started up and so I excused myself again and said I was delivering a presentation for 40% of my grade and you're wrecking my calm. Everyone laughed, as it was not wrecking my calm at all.

The professor said after class- "Thank god you said something because I was about to go out there and lose my poo poo." I dunno why I said all that I just felt like sharing.

"You're wrecking my calm," sounds pretty cool, I've never heard that phrase before. I can imagine George Costanza from Seinfeld saying it like when he talked in the 3rd person.

Qu Appelle
Nov 3, 2005

Wartime Consigliere posted:

"You're wrecking my calm," sounds pretty cool, I've never heard that phrase before. I can imagine George Costanza from Seinfeld saying it like when he talked in the 3rd person.

There's a section in the Firefly movie Serenity where Jayne says "This is damaging my calm".

I've consequently used that phrase in bug reports :3:

Yeah, I'm a geek :colbert:

ultrafilter
Aug 23, 2007

It's okay if you have any questions.

Over range of ADHD behavior, genes major force on reading achievement, environment on math:

quote:

Research by Lee A. Thompson, chair of Case Western Reserve University's Psychological Sciences Department, and colleagues found that the link between Attention-Deficit/Hyperactivity Disorder (ADHD) and academic performance involves a complex interaction of genes and environment.

Genetic influence was found to be greater on reading than for math, while shared environment (e.g., the home and/or school environment the twins shared) influenced math more so than reading. The researchers don't know why.

Their study of twins, published in Psychological Science, Vol. 21, was the first to look simultaneously at the genetic and environmental influences on reading ability, mathematics ability, and the continuum of ADHD behavior.

The broken bones
Jan 3, 2008

Out beyond winning and losing, there is a field.

I will meet you there.
Huh, cool thread.

I was diagnosed with ADHD impulsivity when I was 15 and took Adderal for most of school into college, went off it for three years and am now back on a low dose (20 mgs) for the interim.

I'm actually working as a teacher's assistant at a school for kids with learning disabilities. I didn't get to read the whole thread, but if anybody has any questions about teaching kids with learning disabilities, including ADD, ADHD, dyslexia, dyscalculia and other language issues, I could answer a few.

Fanky Malloons
Aug 21, 2010

Is your social worker inside that horse?
ADHD goons, how do I convince a friend that she should seriously think about visiting a doctor regarding her symptoms. The main problem here being that she is in the middle of a neuropsych pHD and so frequently rationalises/denies she has an issue "because I don't have this symptom or that symptom, and it doesn't interfere with my social or professional functioning! :D"

Except it totally does. She recently got in trouble with her boss for taking two months to write a report, and then in trouble with her supervisor for not making any progress on her pHD proposal in about 6 months - to the point where her supervisor basically threatened to write her a crappy reference for internship applications - which is a huge deal, because no internship means no pHD. She claims she can't work alone because she gets lonely and bored, and then gets distracted by chatting to people online or on the phone. But she can't work when other people are around because they distract her!

Socially, this girl is late for EVERYTHING. Except when she forgets altogether and makes other plans instead, or forgets what time she was supposed to be there and arrives 2 hours early. She was once 45 minutes late to pick me up for something because she was putting on her shoes and got distracted. Another time she got distracted while driving and almost drove into a pole. A couple of weeks ago I told her I was making reservations at a restaurant for six of us at 7.30pm. She showed up at 6pm instead, oops.

I think she must be very high functioning when she really needs to be, because she managed to get through her MA and whatnot after all, but I'm seriously worried that she won't make it through her pHD because at the end of the day she's still massively impaired compared to everyone else in her program (a lot of whom I know very well, and have expressed the same sentiment about her). I love her to death and I would hate to see her throw all of the money and time she's invested in her education by refusing to seek help - but if it's getting to the point where her supervisor is getting tired of her inability to manage time, then it won't be long before the university does too.

Sorry this turned into a wall of text - but if you read it all and can offer any suggestions it would be really helpful :)

signalnoise
Mar 7, 2008

Tell her it couldn't hurt to get diagnosed, and that she will either confirm her beliefs and get you to shut up about it, or she will potentially unlock some studying superpowers.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Slow Motion
Jul 19, 2004

My favorite things in life are sex, drugs, feeling like a baller, and being $30,000 in debt.
I've barked up that tree with a few friends who suffer through it, exactly like I did. They generally roll their eyes and say "I don't take speed".