Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Crab Dad
Dec 28, 2002

behold i have tempered and refined thee, but not as silver; as CRAB

I’ve personally seen a huge great white kill and eat an adult sea lion. The pacific from SF to San Diego is their yard.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Sockington
Jul 26, 2003

A Pack of Kobolds posted:

Dude I can't wait until your destroyer is on the water, slaying Walters. Your restoration project is extremely my poo poo.

Got a pile of welding and cleaning done in the past few days, and slapped a quick coat on this morning before the rain came (tarped it - picture post rain

Each side is sealed from each other. Left the front of the fuel area open because I didn’t really need to close that side anyways. Welded in a second drain on the fuel tank side. Lots of little things that took up my time.

Painting the inside with BattleShip Grey :black101: marine paint.

Sockington
Jul 26, 2003
Went down to the creek first thing this morning and tossed out some worms. Got this smallmouth with a torn up lip. Some old dude getting a skunk wanted it when I asked him if he was keeping anything.

Also this tiny little white bass that was nibbling. Lots of these guys were around stealing my worms

My intended target was the huge school of poop trout that were congregating, but they weren’t interested in worms this morning. Tons of gar pike in the area too.

Sockington
Jul 26, 2003
Rain day today, so paint and stuff will have to wait. Mocked up the rear covers and hinges a bit today. Getting classy.

Sockington
Jul 26, 2003
Sockington fishing thread continues. :downswords:

Down to the local Creek for a kayak launch into the big river

Fox just hanging out, eating some stuffs

His buddy down at the water

Was only going downstream today, so fish on!

Some rock bass came up and went back in

Little perch ate both hooks on the worm harness, so he had to tag along home.

Heavy stringer today :clint:

Five today! Way better than my one walleye per trip bullshit on the kayak.

Dat gold

wandler20
Nov 13, 2002

How many Championships?
Nice fish.

I caught an 18" walleye and a 22" walleye yesterday on my first attempt trolling with crankbaits.

A Pack of Kobolds
Mar 23, 2007

I'm still loving the Sockington rebuild. My boat plans have been altered and delayed, so it's nice to be able to follow your project.

My fishing plans this weekend fell through so I made some tackle.

Lefthand side are 1/16 oz roundhead (#4 Mustad Aberdeen) and crappie jigs (#8 Mustad crimped sproat). Righthand side are 1/32 oz versions of the same (#6 and #10 hooks, respectively), with a couple of ugly pours in the center that I need to clean up.

A shitload of various sized walking sinkers and some gravedigger jigs (1/8 oz. #1 hook, 1/4 oz. 1/0 hook, 3/8 oz. 2/0 hook, 1/2 oz. 3/0 hook), all on Mustad Aberdeen hooks. I don't think that the smaller ones made it into the picture.

The gravediggers are supposed to make soft plastics imitate baitfish feeding on the bottom. It's an interesting design.

Not pictured are about 45 ingots and a couple dozen tube & tail jigs with O'Shaughnessy hooks.

DoctaFun
Dec 12, 2005

Dammit Francis!

Sockington posted:

Sockington fishing thread continues. :downswords:

Down to the local Creek for a kayak launch into the big river

Fox just hanging out, eating some stuffs

His buddy down at the water

Was only going downstream today, so fish on!

Some rock bass came up and went back in

Little perch ate both hooks on the worm harness, so he had to tag along home.

Heavy stringer today :clint:

Five today! Way better than my one walleye per trip bullshit on the kayak.

Dat gold

Nice fish! Can’t judge size great from the photos, is the longest one 19-20? Others look somewhere in that 15-18” range, which are absolutely my favorite size to eat.

Makes me wish I was out fishing :(.

I do have a trip planned for lake of the woods in September though, I’m getting pretty excited!

I also spend an inordinate amount of time looking at fishing resorts to build out my bucket list.

Taltson bay big pike lodge is the one I’m currently drooling over for anyone interested.

A Pack of Kobolds
Mar 23, 2007

DoctaFun posted:

Nice fish! Can’t judge size great from the photos, is the longest one 19-20? Others look somewhere in that 15-18” range, which are absolutely my favorite size to eat.

Makes me wish I was out fishing :(.

I do have a trip planned for lake of the woods in September though, I’m getting pretty excited!

I also spend an inordinate amount of time looking at fishing resorts to build out my bucket list.

Taltson bay big pike lodge is the one I’m currently drooling over for anyone interested.

I would still like to hear everything you know about crappies if the offer is still open!

DoctaFun
Dec 12, 2005

Dammit Francis!

I would still like to hear everything you know about crappies if the offer is still open!

Dang, I forgot to answer that ! I don’t know all they much about crappies but I know a little.

My time fishing for crappies is mainly limited to crappie spawning time(spring) and winter crappies(ice fishing).

A Pack of Kobolds
Mar 23, 2007

DoctaFun posted:

Dang, I forgot to answer that ! I don’t know all they much about crappies but I know a little.

My time fishing for crappies is mainly limited to crappie spawning time(spring) and winter crappies(ice fishing).

What else do you fish for under the ice? If you go ice fishing this winter you should definitely post pics. Not a lot of ice fishing happening ITT. Getting drunk in a shack may be a familiar topic ITT though.

DoctaFun
Dec 12, 2005

Dammit Francis!

What else do you fish for under the ice? If you go ice fishing this winter you should definitely post pics. Not a lot of ice fishing happening ITT. Getting drunk in a shack may be a familiar topic ITT though.

I’ll write up a crappie post when I’m not on my phone for ya!

As for ice fishing, I fish for walleye/bluegill/crappie/northern under the ice.

Ice fishing is amazing, GIVEN you have the appropriate equipment to get on the ice and stay comfortable in the cold. I have a portable ice house and a propane heater that probably keeps the house 50 degrees or warmer, so I can sit out all day or night and not even be bothered by the cold.

I’ve fished a few days up north where it was -10 with 25+mph winds. Those are the days you bunker down and don’t make many moves. But once you get set up it’s actually quite comfortable to fish in.

A Pack of Kobolds
Mar 23, 2007

DoctaFun posted:

I’ll write up a crappie post when I’m not on my phone for ya!

As for ice fishing, I fish for walleye/bluegill/crappie/northern under the ice.

Ice fishing is amazing, GIVEN you have the appropriate equipment to get on the ice and stay comfortable in the cold. I have a portable ice house and a propane heater that probably keeps the house 50 degrees or warmer, so I can sit out all day or night and not even be bothered by the cold.

I’ve fished a few days up north where it was -10 with 25+mph winds. Those are the days you bunker down and don’t make many moves. But once you get set up it’s actually quite comfortable to fish in.

Thanks, I'd really appreciate it! Ice fishing sounds like a really good way to spend a weekend in the winter.

Right now I'm reading this gem:

Pourin' out a sip for Ol' Ben Snurd, of recently departed to a world where the crappie grow as big as salmon.

joem83
Oct 4, 2007

Sometimes, you have to shake it thrice.
Those little crappie jigs with the squished head look interesting, but I think I'd go crazy without a bait holder, haha. Sock that boat looks pretty cool so far, it also looks pretty loving heavy. That thing can DEFINITELY break a bottle of champagne, make sure you send her off on her maiden voyage with the proper respects!

Does anybody here fish mono on their baitcasters? Holy moly, I cannot stand it. I had 30lb braid on my MH, but I backlashed it pretty bad for the 50th time and ended up blaming the line and the way I spooled it. I ripped all the braid off and put mono on before I went to the lake last weekend. Last night, I ripped the mono off and went and got it spooled with 40lb Power Pro at Turner's, lol. I'm hoping the 40lb backlashes a little less than the 30lb. Was only 10.99 for the fill up, too. Woop woop.

Now, to post a fish. I was throwing my little favorite bait around before I grabbed lunch today and I thought I got hung up like I inevitably do EVERY TIME I fish this spot... but then it started moving. lol. I knew right away what I hooked into, but I thought I had foul hooked it and that I was going to lose it pretty fast, but the drag did it's job and I realized after he came up that I face hooked him, awww yeah! Caught on my 6 foot ultra light rod, 4lb test, 500 sized reel. Was a good 3-4 minutes I fought him before he was tired enough to land. Sooooo many crazy runs, I love hooking into these fish.

Crab Dad
Dec 28, 2002

Do you use them for lawn fertilizer?

joem83
Oct 4, 2007

LingcodKilla posted:

Do you use them for lawn fertilizer?

I threw it back, I was on my lunch break. Although it would have been pretty funny had I walked in with a dead carp and just threw it in the fridge in the office. I should catch one and bury it under my palm tree that's dying a slow death, I've heard they're incredible fertilizers.

Elmnt80
Dec 30, 2012

Adjust your reel if you are backlashing that much dude. Also get out in your yard/alley/whatever and just practice making casts with an appropriately sized weight. Its like riding a bike one you get it down.

joem83
Oct 4, 2007

It's not rookie level casting, I've made thousands of baitcaster casts. The reel is just evil. I promise.

A Pack of Kobolds
Mar 23, 2007

My buddy got his boat so I'm going to be fishing and crabbing on Hood Canal this weekend. :woop:

Crab Dad
Dec 28, 2002

joem83 posted:

I threw it back, I was on my lunch break. Although it would have been pretty funny had I walked in with a dead carp and just threw it in the fridge in the office. I should catch one and bury it under my palm tree that's dying a slow death, I've heard they're incredible fertilizers.

In some locations it’s actually illegal to return them to the water.

Hooplah
Jul 15, 2006

My buddy got his boat so I'm going to be fishing and crabbing on Hood Canal this weekend. :woop:

What do you target in there? Flatfish? Rockfish?

Also I'm only a couple months away from moving to Seattle. I'm hyped to fish whatever's available out there

A Pack of Kobolds
Mar 23, 2007

Hooplah posted:

Also I'm only a couple months away from moving to Seattle. I'm hyped to fish whatever's available out there

Hood Canal itself is closed to pretty much everything that isn't salmon these days. I think our agenda is to drop crab traps in the canal and then fish Lake Leland all day for perch, crappie, trout, or whatever. Hopefully we can get the boat out to the coast to slay some rockfish and lingcod soon.

Also feel free to PM me if you want to fish when you get here! In the meantime I would encourage you to get to know the WDFW Fish Washington! page. It's a great resource, and much more than just the rules and regs.

joem83
Oct 4, 2007

I want a friend with a boat so bad. Sometimes I see people with boats in front of their houses and I'm like "Okay, how do I befriend this stranger without them knowing that I'm only in it for the fishing?".

LingcodKilla posted:

In some locations it’s actually illegal to return them to the water.

We've got a few lakes that have that rule, too, and I've heard they don't even have places you can dispose of the fish on the premises. I don't have any hatred for the carp, I think they're awesome to catch. It always makes me want to go out and target them.

So... last night I decide that since my boss is out of town this week on travel that I'm going to get up early and go fish the bay a bit before work. A bit ended up turning into 5 hours, shhh don't tell nobody. I wanted a halibut, so I was throwing white swim baits, but I was barely getting bit so I swapped over to the trusty Z-Man New Penny curl tail and started having a grand ol time. I caught 15 spotted bay bass and a mackerel this morning. I got bit so many times that I actually lost the tail off a Z-man plastic. A Z-MAN! One bass that I caught (the biggest of the day) had a Texas rigged 3 inch yellow swim bait in it's mouth, lol. It wasn't even like, stuck in it's mouth. I just grabbed it and it came right out.

Crab Dad
Dec 28, 2002

Hooplah posted:

Fishing in the sound has some crazy restrictions. Freshwater is much better bet. Though I live in on the west sound and the crab and squid fishing is excellent.

A Pack of Kobolds
Mar 23, 2007

joem83 posted:

I want a friend with a boat so bad. Sometimes I see people with boats in front of their houses and I'm like "Okay, how do I befriend this stranger without them knowing that I'm only in it for the fishing?".

We've got a few lakes that have that rule, too, and I've heard they don't even have places you can dispose of the fish on the premises. I don't have any hatred for the carp, I think they're awesome to catch. It always makes me want to go out and target them.

So... last night I decide that since my boss is out of town this week on travel that I'm going to get up early and go fish the bay a bit before work. A bit ended up turning into 5 hours, shhh don't tell nobody. I wanted a halibut, so I was throwing white swim baits, but I was barely getting bit so I swapped over to the trusty Z-Man New Penny curl tail and started having a grand ol time. I caught 15 spotted bay bass and a mackerel this morning. I got bit so many times that I actually lost the tail off a Z-man plastic. A Z-MAN! One bass that I caught (the biggest of the day) had a Texas rigged 3 inch yellow swim bait in it's mouth, lol. It wasn't even like, stuck in it's mouth. I just grabbed it and it came right out.

Dude I love it when you catch bonus tackle with the fish. What kind of jig were you using with the curl tail? Standard roundhead?

Also, on the topic of Z-Man plastics: Z-Man TRD lures are buoyant and most Senkos aren't. I've caught bass on a Ned rig with 2.5" TRDs and also with 5" generic Senkos cut in half so I don't know how much of a difference it makes, but for those who absolutely swear by TRDs, the buoyancy probably has a lot to do with that. I'm probably going to start making soft plastics soon, so this is poo poo that I'm paying attention to these days.

LingcodKilla posted:

Fishing in the sound has some crazy restrictions. Freshwater is much better bet. Though I live in on the west sound and the crab and squid fishing is excellent.

This is true; your proximity to crab is hard to beat. I want to target flatfish around Seattle, though. People don't really fish for them. And I want to catch squid this winter. Many, many squid.

joem83
Oct 4, 2007

Dude I love it when you catch bonus tackle with the fish. What kind of jig were you using with the curl tail? Standard roundhead?

These are awesome for the bay, they rarely ever get hung up and the Z-man curly tail fits perfectly on it; I use the 3/16 oz. I suppose I could just use a bullet weight and an EWG, but these are so much easier. I've gotten bit just doing a slow retrieve, but it seems like I get bit way more if I fig it more like a jig. Cast out, let it sink, lift the rod, reel in a little line while it falls, and then let it sit for a second Rinse repeat. I got a lot of hits today when I wasn't even going anything, just letting it sit there. I was texting my brother while I had my line in the water, was just sitting there and I felt the tap tap, set the hook with one hand and got a bass.

https://www.tacklewarehouse.com/Owner_Ultrahead_Bullet_Rig_4pk/descpage-OUHBUL.html

joem83 fucked around with this message at 22:51 on Jul 25, 2018

Sockington
Jul 26, 2003
You’ve come a long way, baby.

A Pack of Kobolds
Mar 23, 2007

:bisonyes:

:yeshaha:

TheBizzness
Oct 5, 2004

Reign on me.
I need to post my gheenoe here so y’all can give me advice on how the hell im supposed to secure the seat base plate. My macgyvered solution is ok for like a year but a long term solution would be nice.

CHUCK WAS TAKEN
Aug 1, 2004
this kid has heart
I went out trout fishing for the first time in about 3 weeks, and I guess my uncle went fishing today too because literally right as I'm pulling out of the driveway he texts me this picture. Time to buy a plane ticket I guess

Hooplah
Jul 15, 2006

Hood Canal itself is closed to pretty much everything that isn't salmon these days. I think our agenda is to drop crab traps in the canal and then fish Lake Leland all day for perch, crappie, trout, or whatever. Hopefully we can get the boat out to the coast to slay some rockfish and lingcod soon.

Also feel free to PM me if you want to fish when you get here! In the meantime I would encourage you to get to know the WDFW Fish Washington! page. It's a great resource, and much more than just the rules and regs.

LingcodKilla posted:

Thanks for the tips! I've been browsing the WDFW's content on fishing and camping for months. I've lived my whole life in the twin cities area, so the sheer variety in habitats and environments you guys have is pretty stunning to me. Is it feasible to catch much in the seattle area freshwater fishing from shore? I know around me it's kinda tough getting a line in the water on a hole that actually holds fish unless you have a boat or it's iced over. There's always the Mississippi river, but that's c&r only, and the pcb/hg content would give me pause anyways

After doing some browsing around, my impression is it's actually possible for a beginner saltwater fisher such as myself to have a shot at coho from the beach in some spots around the sound (eg point no point). Have you guys tried any salmon fishing? It looks like it doesn't require much in the way of specialized gear, as long as your rod is stout enough.

Thanks for humoring me, guys. I need to know how much I should temper my excitement.

Hooplah
Jul 15, 2006

I realized I had some fish pics I forgot to post

Was up in the brainerd area for the fourth of july, and found some time away from my group to cast and retrieve my mepps aglia. Really beautiful river flowing out of the lake right up to a dam. Only the rock bass were biting, but they were pretty fun. Could watch them pop out of their holes and follow my spinner the water was so clear.

And here's some examples of shore fishing the miss. Lots of drum. Most walleye dudes poo poo them, but they get loving huge and are great fighters. That biggest one with the scar on his side had my drag screaming.

redhorse are so pretty :3:

:woop:

:woop:

Crab Dad
Dec 28, 2002

Hooplah posted:

Thanks for the tips! I've been browsing the WDFW's content on fishing and camping for months. I've lived my whole life in the twin cities area, so the sheer variety in habitats and environments you guys have is pretty stunning to me. Is it feasible to catch much in the seattle area freshwater fishing from shore? I know around me it's kinda tough getting a line in the water on a hole that actually holds fish unless you have a boat or it's iced over. There's always the Mississippi river, but that's c&r only, and the pcb/hg content would give me pause anyways

After doing some browsing around, my impression is it's actually possible for a beginner saltwater fisher such as myself to have a shot at coho from the beach in some spots around the sound (eg point no point). Have you guys tried any salmon fishing? It looks like it doesn't require much in the way of specialized gear, as long as your rod is stout enough.

Thanks for humoring me, guys. I need to know how much I should temper my excitement.

Yes at least in Kitsap County shore fishing for coho is certainly a thing. I’ll be doing it this September

A Pack of Kobolds
Mar 23, 2007

Hooplah posted:

Don't temper it too much, there's lots of great stuff out here. :) Green Lake is great for shore fishing, and there are about a two dozen public piers on Lake Washington (albeit mostly on the East Side). There are public piers in Puget Sound, also. I like to fish at Golden Gardens for pile perch and flatfish.

I have done some salmon fishing without a boat and it's not that great. If you're fishing the popular rivers during the spawn, chances are that it's going to be crowded. Pink Salmon, aka Humpies, run on odd-numbered years and their numbers have been down. Fishing for marine salmon can totally be done from piers (Edmonds and Mukilteo are popular), but you're going to need a drop net to get them up.

Most of the fishing that you're used to will be east of the Cascades. I wish there were walleye to fish around Seattle, but there really aren't. You should consider making a trip to the coast as soon as you can: a bottomfish charter out of Westport is reasonably priced and is fishing unique to the region. Surf fishing for redtail surfperch doesn't require a boat, and surf fishing is absolutely one of my favorite ways to spend a day. Redtails fight hard for their size and have really nice, delicate meat. Also realize how good this region is for shellfish. Razor clams are extremely good.

LingcodKilla posted:

Yes at least in Kitsap County shore fishing for coho is certainly a thing. I'll be doing it this September

Stoked to hear how this goes for you! I hope you're more successful than I have been.

Sockington
Jul 26, 2003
Daughter went out with me today and crushed a bass half the size of her rod! She was floating worms on a bobber and I was having them sit on bottom.

I caught a less impressive one.

She also got a tiny little sunfish in our hour at the creek.

Crab Dad
Dec 28, 2002

Don't temper it too much, there's lots of great stuff out here. :) Green Lake is great for shore fishing, and there are about a two dozen public piers on Lake Washington (albeit mostly on the East Side). There are public piers in Puget Sound, also. I like to fish at Golden Gardens for pile perch and flatfish.

I have done some salmon fishing without a boat and it's not that great. If you're fishing the popular rivers during the spawn, chances are that it's going to be crowded. Pink Salmon, aka Humpies, run on odd-numbered years and their numbers have been down. Fishing for marine salmon can totally be done from piers (Edmonds and Mukilteo are popular), but you're going to need a drop net to get them up.

Most of the fishing that you're used to will be east of the Cascades. I wish there were walleye to fish around Seattle, but there really aren't. You should consider making a trip to the coast as soon as you can: a bottomfish charter out of Westport is reasonably priced and is fishing unique to the region. Surf fishing for redtail surfperch doesn't require a boat, and surf fishing is absolutely one of my favorite ways to spend a day. Redtails fight hard for their size and have really nice, delicate meat. Also realize how good this region is for shellfish. Razor clams are extremely good.

Stoked to hear how this goes for you! I hope you're more successful than I have been.

We have a family friend who’s house has a dock and view of Seattle. He fills up his freezer every year.

I secretly hate him.

Life is not fair.

A Pack of Kobolds
Mar 23, 2007

LingcodKilla posted:

Life is not fair.

The abundant crab pics you post taught me this fact long ago. If I can post a single keeper from this weekend I'm going to be very stoked.

ROFLburger
Jan 12, 2006

It's 120 loving degrees in Phoenix so I can't really go fishing after work at my favorite spot so I'm reading this thread instead and it's making me envious

Crab Dad
Dec 28, 2002

The abundant crab pics you post taught me this fact long ago. If I can post a single keeper from this weekend I'm going to be very stoked.

Come visit Kitsap County September 1rst and I’ll hook you up. Last crabbing weekend. I’ll be back in town on Friday and throwing my pots immediately.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Hooplah
Jul 15, 2006

Of course, right after stating I wouldn't keep fish out of the river, I go down there and land a (just under!) foot long, 14 oz crappie, and a 8", 1/2 lb sunfish. Yeah, I guess I changed my mind on panfish.

I landed a really decent crappie right when I got there, but I wasn't planning on keeping anything so I gave it to some old lady that was catfishing next to me. Next cast I hook up on that bigger crappie. I had to improvise a stringer by scrounging up some high test line someone else left behind and I tied it up on a shore rock. Caught a few other crappies but none big enough to keep. Those two are certainly the biggest of their species I've caught in my adult life :toot:

Also caught this guy, who's also my personal best lmb. I don't intentionally fish for those, but they're definitely out there on the river!