Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Six AM
Nov 30, 2008

Givin posted:

Battle for Azeroth will be poo poo and I'm thankful that Blizzard made it so easy to cash out and quit.

Nah, its looking good and the last expansion was good too because its a fun game.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

megalodong
Mar 11, 2008

I said it ages back in the pantheon thread or something, but I consider the difference between the likes of old school FFXI or EQ1 (and classic WOW to an extent) and modern WOW to be that one is a game with a world built around it, while the other is a world with a game built around it.

Different things for different people, and I don't honestly think either is better than the other. I definitely prefer the former though.

DancingShade
Jul 26, 2007

by Fluffdaddy

I said come in! posted:

lol!

I wish Wildstar had turned out better. That could have been such a good MMO.

This but Everquest NEXT.

*a single tumbleweed rolls past*

ChickenBuckets
Sep 18, 2017
Considering this game might be going to poo poo here within a year, is there any benefit to transferring my account over to Steam?

I assume that if I at least switch the game over to Steam and SotA ceases production that ill still be able to download the game always from Steam even if its just to mess around with the game in single player?

TheAgent
Feb 16, 2002

The call is coming from inside Dr. House
Grimey Drawer
nope. if it goes away it'll be a marvel heroes situation

DapperDraculaDeer
Aug 4, 2007

Shut up, Nick! You're not Twilight.
If you transfer to Steam Id imagine itll be way harder to sell your account. Theres got to be at least a few rubes left out there willing to take if of your hands.

clone on the phone
Aug 5, 2003

Six AM posted:

Nah, its looking good and the last expansion was good too because its a fun game.

The whole premise of BfA seems very bland and generic when compared against Legion.

DancingShade
Jul 26, 2007

by Fluffdaddy

ChickenBuckets posted:

Considering this game might be going to poo poo here within a year, is there any benefit to transferring my account over to Steam?

I assume that if I at least switch the game over to Steam and SotA ceases production that ill still be able to download the game always from Steam even if its just to mess around with the game in single player?

The real question is will the game be playable fully offline single player mode without a login when the server(s?) power down.

Mostly for making "hey look at this" videos for YouTube2030 I guess.

Six AM
Nov 30, 2008

clone on the phone posted:

The whole premise of BfA seems very bland and generic when compared against Legion.

Yeah, maybe. Im not sure, though, because i dont pay attention to stories at all in mmos. I just want fun gaming loops that make my brain feel satisfied in the time windows i have to play them.

I said come in!
Jun 22, 2004

At least with Shroud there is an offline mode, so you'll always be able to play the game. Keep in mind however that the next content update appears to be the last and the game is in need of a massive overhaul and redesign of all of its systems. So it is never going to be a good game.

Gildiss
Aug 24, 2010

Grimey Drawer
But you can solo a dragon if you watch that one dudes youtube video.

HungryMedusa
Apr 28, 2003

If he can do it after playing 16 hours a day every day for two years, anyone can do it! Fun!

HungryMedusa fucked around with this message at 21:28 on Jun 27, 2018

Node
May 20, 2001

KICKED IN THE COOTER
:dings:
Taco Defender

I said come in! posted:

Keep in mind however that the next content update

Haha. Really?

I said come in!
Jun 22, 2004

Node posted:

Haha. Really?

Okay to be fair the developer claims to be working on a content update. Since the team is down to 15 members now no one has any hope of this being of any significance or actually making the game fun to play.

DancingShade
Jul 26, 2007

by Fluffdaddy
In the entire history of this game did anyone ever find a multi thousand dollar castle that looked like whoever bought it used it for anything? I didn't.

Mr. Pickles
Mar 19, 2014

at least they named the dragon "dragon" to avoid any misconceptions

Schubalts
Nov 26, 2007

People say bigger is better.

But for the first time in my life, I think I've gone too far.

I said come in! posted:

content update appears to be the last

PPPpppppppbbbbbbbbbbbbbbbbbbbbbbtttttttttttttttttttttttttttttttttttttttt. "Release" version is only a couple months old, if that. Could this be any more of a pump and dump?

I said come in!
Jun 22, 2004

Is anyone playing Legends of Aria?

Givin
Jan 24, 2008
Givin of the Internet Hates You
Open beta hasn't started yet but if you're super interested in playing Aria you can email some chick that works for them and tell them how interested you are in testing it for a week. Check the last page of it's thread.

I can't be bothered honestly. These c-tier MMOs aren't worth the energy. I wanted to play it at first, just like Shroud because of the single player sandbox promise, but we see how those types of promises go.

clone on the phone
Aug 5, 2003

Six AM posted:

Yeah, maybe. Im not sure, though, because i dont pay attention to stories at all in mmos. I just want fun gaming loops that make my brain feel satisfied in the time windows i have to play them.

Yeah I'm not sure either, tbh. I enjoyed legion a lot not just for the story but for some of the fresh/new gameplay loops they had. I'll really miss artifact weapons, not so much how they were upgraded throughout the expansion, but their lore and what they represented, and how their visuals were tied to how you chose to progress. Hopefully the whole island pve content is good, but i'm just not excited about the story nor the azerite armour upgrade system. If it gets positive feedback I'll most likely check it out.

Givin
Jan 24, 2008
Givin of the Internet Hates You
Richard G just keeps on giving.

http://massivelyop.com/2018/07/05/richard-garriott-rejects-idea-that-shroud-of-the-avatar-is-a-flop-says-the-game-will-run-forever/

desudrive
Jan 10, 2010

Destroy All Memes
This game runs like complete poo poo for me. It's just so laggy. I really like the idea and it seems interesting but... yeesh.

DapperDraculaDeer
Aug 4, 2007

Richard Garriott posted:

Garriott has rejected the idea that the game is “on the ropes.” To Eurogamer, he reiterated Portalarium’s party line that the majority of players play off Steam and that the playerbase is “in the many thousands but not in the many tens of thousands of monthly active users at the moment.” He also rebuts the claim that half the team was let go, stating that the company went from more than 20 to a “little under” that now, not counting contractors.

I still can't decide if he's delusional or just milking this con for all it's worth.

big nipples big life
May 12, 2014

the latter

DapperDraculaDeer
Aug 4, 2007

Yeah I suppose if he were delusional he might have been willing to put some of his own money into the game back when it looked like it was going to fail due to lack of funding.

DancingShade
Jul 26, 2007

by Fluffdaddy
I'm sure Shroud of the Avatar will be online for a long while yet.

Because you can probably run a server client on a five year old Dell laptop for the last dozen or so players until the heat death of the universe.

Saint Drogo
Dec 26, 2011

Old age has taken away his talent for bullshitting the press along with anything else.

DancingShade
Jul 26, 2007

by Fluffdaddy
At what point does criticizing Should Of The Avatar start counting as elder abuse?

Hra Mormo
Mar 6, 2008

The Internet Man
Marketing it definitely should.

Thursday Next
Jan 11, 2004

FUCK THE ISLE OF APPLES. FUCK THEM IN THEIR STUPID ASSES.

DancingShade posted:

One of these days I'm going to have to play WoW simply so I can "get" a lot of the talk around it.

Not in a rush though.

It's an OK game that's been polished to such a high degree that many people can't get a purchase on it, if that makes sense.

There are no hidden gems to find or broken builds to theorycraft. But, there are essentially zero game-breaking bugs, and a massive support staff that keeps everything running smoothly. Nothing is really challenging, or engaging. But nothing is really frustrating, or obtuse.

WoW is fine.

I like some jank in my games (finding tricks, or abusing mechanics, or crating cool builds are all kind of my jam). I don't sub to WoW any longer because of that. But it is by no means a bad game.

IncredibleIgloo
Feb 17, 2011

This game is so hot and fun to play the last post in 20 days was about a different game! So, is this hot mess still alive?

I said come in!
Jun 22, 2004

IncredibleIgloo posted:

This game is so hot and fun to play the last post in 20 days was about a different game! So, is this hot mess still alive?

All rumors point to it being on life support. Just small updates coming out now to introduce new items on the cash shop to buy.

PookBear
Nov 1, 2008

Thursday Next posted:

It's an OK game that's been polished to such a high degree that many people can't get a purchase on it, if that makes sense.

There are no hidden gems to find or broken builds to theorycraft. But, there are essentially zero game-breaking bugs, and a massive support staff that keeps everything running smoothly. Nothing is really challenging, or engaging. But nothing is really frustrating, or obtuse.

WoW is fine.

I like some jank in my games (finding tricks, or abusing mechanics, or crating cool builds are all kind of my jam). I don't sub to WoW any longer because of that. But it is by no means a bad game.

i miss world spawn bosses like in FFXI. Every MMO having instances makes the world feel dead

I said come in!
Jun 22, 2004

I like what Rift does now where the best way to level up is group activities in the open world. You're thrown into a 20 person raid and everyones stats are increased to that of a level 70, and you take on group quests and world bosses.

Thursday Next
Jan 11, 2004

IncredibleIgloo posted:

kind of. it is kept alive on large influxes of cash from a few very stupid whales. some guy recently got disillusioned with the whole thing and quit, and he had spent sixteen thousand american dollars on the game. many more people spent around that, or more.

i reinstalled it a couple of days ago to see if it had improved (nope). but it is very, very funny to run around the empty world and see blank copy-and-pasted land with some giant castle in the background. some guy spent $30,000 to buy a castle and place it in this game, and now all the other houses around it have decayed / been deleted / gone back to the bank.

truly, king poo poo of turd mountain.

Thursday Next
Jan 11, 2004

ChickenBuckets posted:

I hear that you should not do that. I only ever bought the base game on Steam, so I had no choice, but those who bought it outside of Steam highly recommend keeping them separate. Apparently, you cannot sell your account if it's been steam connected.

Good luck finding someone to take it off your hands.

HungryMedusa
Apr 28, 2003

Yeah, it’s harder to get rid of the account if it’s on Steam, and suddenly like 2 weeks ago they started banning account sales in their official forums. Hopefully you can find someone to buy if you want but that ship may have sailed. Unlike the in game ships lol

HungryMedusa fucked around with this message at 00:16 on Jul 29, 2018

Gildiss
Aug 24, 2010

Grimey Drawer

IncredibleIgloo posted:

:itwaspoo:

Soup du Journey
Mar 20, 2006

by FactsAreUseless
so is legends of aria what this game would have been if it hadn't been done by an rear end in a top hat? has anyone here tried that one?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

DapperDraculaDeer
Aug 4, 2007

Has Alexander DeLarge given that one the kiss of death yet?