Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Perigryn
Oct 22, 2010

TaJaaaaadoruuuuu

Onmi posted:

That was always the plan. 3 manias, Host, Win, Loss
I know that. Those matches still disappointed.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

UltimoDragonQuest
Oct 5, 2011

Not that Rock should be happy about this, but he should have known what would happen or asked Dave and been warned.

TomWaitsForNoMan
May 28, 2003

By Any Means Necessary
"Did Rusev kill that little racist man?" got a big laugh out of me. I hope they have Mark on more often

HerraS
Apr 15, 2012

Looking professional when committing genocide is essential. This is mostly achieved by using a beret.

Olive drab colour ensures the genocider will remain hidden from his prey until it's too late for them to do anything.

MassRafTer posted:

Is Mark the guy who was on their December 2 Dismember review? I couldn't stand him then but his voice is so different I can't tell.

Yes he is and Mark owns a whole bunch

NotQuiteQuentin
Jan 29, 2005

BIG OVER
College Slice
Completely OT, but I really enjoyed this week's Art of Wrestling with Matt Sydal. Then again, it's a lot of stories about how Matt Sydal went to Peru for ayahuasca but him and Colt has a lot of chemistry. Prob the best episode since Punk.

Hace
Feb 13, 2012

<<Mobius 1, Engage.>>
Honestly I thought Mark was terrible and brought down the show a lot

Punch McLightning
Sep 19, 2005

you know what that means

Grimey Drawer
Did Vinnie have a great meltdown on the B&V show last night? I don't have time to listen to the whole thing to find out this week :smith:

TomWaitsForNoMan
May 28, 2003

By Any Means Necessary

Rodney the Piper posted:

Did Vinnie have a great meltdown on the B&V show last night? I don't have time to listen to the whole thing to find out this week :smith:

There was more weary resignation than enraged ranting

Punch McLightning
Sep 19, 2005

you know what that means

Grimey Drawer
gently caress, that's not the Vinnie I know and love.

njsykora
Jan 23, 2012

Robots confuse squirrels.

Bryan went off on about 17 different rants though.

Muddy Burphy
Dec 4, 2010

The #RXT REVOLUTION has two words for ya..
SCOOP IT!

:frogc00l:

he knows...
Mark rules when used correctly (once every 8 years, not counting Christmas shows)

Chris James 2
Aug 9, 2012

I liked when Alvarez talked about how putting Bryan in the match and then having him eliminated that quickly was dumb, especially if he wasn't gonna win, and then mentioned someone from the company told him "we didn't think about that"

Muddy Burphy
Dec 4, 2010

SCOOP IT!

he knows...
I can't help but laugh about Dave being furious about Bubba Ray being a throwaway nostalgia entrant in the Rumble instead of as the Bully Ray character.

flashy_mcflash
Feb 7, 2011

He's not wrong though - it's not even like they went back to the character he was playing when he left. He apparently did nothing but eat since he left TNA and they reverted him right back to the autist character he was playing in ECW. No one expected him to come back as Bully Ray, but something slightly more serious might've made sense.

Then again it's a moot point since that character was way over last night, proving once again that no one cares about or watches TNA.

Muddy Burphy
Dec 4, 2010

SCOOP IT!

he knows...

flashy_mcflash posted:

He's not wrong though - it's not even like they went back to the character he was playing when he left. He apparently did nothing but eat since he left TNA and they reverted him right back to the autist character he was playing in ECW. No one expected him to come back as Bully Ray, but something slightly more serious might've made sense.

Then again it's a moot point since that character was way over last night, proving once again that no one cares about or watches TNA.

If it was a one night thing it makes sense for him to be the version of Bubba Ray that was most popular. If he ends up staying it sets up an easy heel turn. I'd love for him to replace Kane as the muscle of the authority.

Feels Villeneuve
Oct 7, 2007

Setter is Better.

Bhester posted:

I can't help but laugh about Dave being furious about Bubba Ray being a throwaway nostalgia entrant in the Rumble instead of as the Bully Ray character.

if they were going to have an actual run with him, I'd agree, but if it's a single shot nostalgia pop, ehh, i'm fine with him going out as the ECW gimmick, especially in Philly

Spermgod
Jan 8, 2012

pink wasn't even a thing why is t#RXT REVOLUTION~!
and i'm so fucking excited for #SCOOPS#SCOOPS#SCOOPS #SCOOPS#SCOOPS #SCOOPS#SCOOPS
:sludgepal:
he knows..
bryan said he was wearing his ECW gear which was wrong. bye

jesus WEP
Oct 17, 2004

Bubba coming out in his camo and glasses loving owned

yea ok
Jul 27, 2006

Spermgod posted:

bryan said he was wearing his ECW gear which was wrong. bye

Goodbye

Dunbar
Feb 21, 2003

WWE thinking their version of everything is better than any other version has always been a bugbear for Dave. Not sure why he gets so worked up about it.

Muddy Burphy
Dec 4, 2010

SCOOP IT!

he knows...

Dunbar posted:

WWE thinking their version of everything is better than any other version has always been a bugbear for Dave. Not sure why he gets so worked up about it.

There are times where that may be a hill to die on, but a throwaway Rumble entry isn't that time.

oatgan
Jan 15, 2009

Dave was only bummed because WWEs top heels are Kane and Big Show and with Bubba just being a nostalgia pop it means their top heels are still Kane and Big Show

ToiletofSadness
Mar 27, 2010

njsykora posted:

Bryan went off on about 17 different rants though.
I'm totally with Alvarez on his rant about the wrestlers staring at the refs during near falls. I've never noticed it before, but last night the guys in the Miz/Mizdow and Usos match were caught dead to rights on camera doing this a handful of times, and it really just kills the drama of the match (moreso, than seeing 2 dozen Miz/Usos matches in the last 3 months).

Feels Villeneuve
Oct 7, 2007

Setter is Better.
this is going back a few days but Dave being perplexed at everyone voting NXT as the best show of the year is pretty funny. I think he's just depressed that "bog-standard hour-long wrestling show" is now so far above the standards of what RAW/SmackDown are currently putting out.

Muddy Burphy
Dec 4, 2010

SCOOP IT!

he knows...

Alain Post posted:

this is going back a few days but Dave being perplexed at everyone voting NXT as the best show of the year is pretty funny. I think he's just depressed that "bog-standard hour-long wrestling show" is now so far above the standards of what RAW/SmackDown are currently putting out.

Yeah, he seemed perplexed that the state of wrestling is such that "decent-at-worst 1 hour show that mostly makes sense" is the torch bearer for good wrestling.

triplexpac
Mar 24, 2007

Suck it
Two tears in a bucket
And then another thing
I'm not the one they'll try their luck with
Hit hard like brass knuckles
See your face through the turnbuckle dude
I got no love for you

Alain Post posted:

I do wonder how much the NXT specials skewed people's voting for NXT as best weekly show. Like if you take them out of the equation somehow, would as many people vote for it?

For me, I really love the specials but the week-to-week show can be hit-or-miss. I guess I'd vote for NXT by default though, since I don't watch TNA or Lucha Underground.

Feels Villeneuve
Oct 7, 2007

Setter is Better.

triplexpac posted:

I do wonder how much the NXT specials skewed people's voting for NXT as best weekly show. Like if you take them out of the equation somehow, would as many people vote for it?

For me, I really love the specials but the week-to-week show can be hit-or-miss. I guess I'd vote for NXT by default though, since I don't watch TNA or Lucha Underground.

well the point of that kind of wrestling show is to build for major shows, and they tend to do a good job at that.

Sky Shadowing
Feb 13, 2012

At least we're not the Thalmor (yet)
WWE bringing Bubba Ray as Bubba Ray probably was mostly that it's a character that they own.

Punch McLightning
Sep 19, 2005

you know what that means

Grimey Drawer

Sky Shadowing posted:

WWE bringing Bubba Ray as Bubba Ray probably was mostly that it's a character that they own.

Also, that it was in Philadelphia, home of ECW.

Luigi Thirty
Apr 30, 2006

Emergency confection port.

I know people were talking about how entertaining Piper's Pit with Corny was for all the Piper rants, part 2 is up today.

oatgan
Jan 15, 2009

also nobody watches TNA

Punch McLightning
Sep 19, 2005

you know what that means

Grimey Drawer

oatgan posted:

also nobody watches TNA

there's about a zillion reasons where this is a case of the davebot shorting out

Spermgod
Jan 8, 2012

pink wasn't even a thing why is t#RXT REVOLUTION~!
and i'm so fucking excited for #SCOOPS#SCOOPS#SCOOPS #SCOOPS#SCOOPS #SCOOPS#SCOOPS
:sludgepal:
he knows..

Sky Shadowing posted:

nobody was complaining about the fact that he was called Bubba Ray

savinhill
Mar 28, 2010

Dunbar posted:

Cuz it means that they're dead set against giving people the best and most entertaining show possible with

oatgan posted:

Dave was only bummed because WWEs top heels are Kane and Big Show and with Bubba just being a nostalgia pop it means their top heels are still Kane and Big Show

a situation like this being the current reality because of it, when we could be getting Bubba doing his Bully Ray character instead, which was one of the best and most entertaining heels in wrestling's recent history. It's also part of the mentality that leads to Bryan being eliminated from the Rumble so early and unceromoniously so their chosen next big thing can have all the spotlight.

Luigi Thirty
Apr 30, 2006

Emergency confection port.

This week's retro Observer features November to Remember '97 coverage.

Dave Meltzer posted:

Bigelow threw down ref Finnegan, who ended up taking more bumps than Hogan on a year's worth of PPVs.

Dave Meltzer posted:

One of the near falls saw Dreamer literally bounce Van Dam on his head delivering a piledriver.

Luigi Thirty fucked around with this message at 23:40 on Jan 26, 2015

81sidewinder
Sep 8, 2014

Buying stocks on the day of the crash

There is no one I am more interested in hearing from about this debacle than SCSA. He is going to have a great take on it, no doubt.

coconono
Aug 11, 2004

KISS ME KRIS

81sidewinder posted:

There is no one I am more interested in hearing from about this debacle than SCSA. He is going to have a great take on it, no doubt.

I'm looking forward to how JR will upsell this Rumble as a good thing.

ColonelJohnMatrix
Jun 24, 2006

Because all fucking hell is going to break loose

coconono posted:

I'm looking forward to how JR will upsell this Rumble as a good thing.

He will most likely do his normal thing where he talks circles for a minute and gives basically no opinion whatsoever or does a "wait and see folks" type of thing.

jesus WEP
Oct 17, 2004

Daniel Bryan is too small to succeed in a battle royale, a win for him would expose the business

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Skinty McEdger
Mar 9, 2008

I have NEVER received the respect I deserve as the leader and founder of The Masterflock, the internet's largest and oldest Christopher Masterpiece fan group in all of history, and I DEMAND that changes. From now on, you will respect Skinty McEdger!

Modern fans want instant gratification, they aren't patient enough to see how it will all work out, Daniel Bryan will come out the other end a better more rounded character, Roman Reigns what a hoss.

• Locked thread