Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Fitzy Fitz
May 14, 2005

Greg Legg posted:

I can't do flat presses, dips, or flyes without pain in my shoulder. I can press overhead just fine though. Are there any other chest exercises that anyone knows of?

Have you tried doing presses and flys on the floor? I've not tried it, but I've seen it recommended for shoulder issues.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

turd in my singlet
Jul 5, 2008

DO ALL DA WORK

WIT YA NECK

*heavy metal music playing*
Nap Ghost

Calvin Johnson Jr. posted:

how long until your muscles start atrophying? im already fit and in good shape but I kinda wanna take a break from the grind

The amount of lifting required to maintain muscle and strength is way less than the amount required to increase them.

(Random article I found, there's tons out there)
https://bretcontreras.com/how-much-training-is-necessary-to-maintain-strength-and-muscle/

Greg Legg
Oct 6, 2004

Fitzy Fitz posted:

Have you tried doing presses and flys on the floor? I've not tried it, but I've seen it recommended for shoulder issues.

Yup, I train at home with no bench so I have to all my presses on the floor. Appreciate your response though!

Weirdly, these don't hurt so I guess I'll stick with them. Thank you!

Greg Legg fucked around with this message at 02:30 on Nov 12, 2019

Calvin Johnson Jr.
Dec 8, 2009
i ate a very large meal and am going to the gym tomorrow

i just needed it confirmed i was being a little bitch

sassassin
Apr 3, 2010

by Azathoth

Greg Legg posted:

I can't do flat presses, dips, or flyes without pain in my shoulder. I can press overhead just fine though. Are there any other chest exercises that anyone knows of?

Don't bother training chest at all.

Greg Legg
Oct 6, 2004
I never really have before, at least not long term.

sassassin
Apr 3, 2010

by Azathoth

Greg Legg posted:

I never really have before, at least not long term.

Unless you plan to compete (bodybuilding, power lifting, nfl combine) there's no need unless you really want big titties. Certainly no reason to jump through hoops if the standard lifts cause shoulder pain.

I've had shoulder issues for years and bench press is an absolute no. Cable press is touch and go but I can do some light work if I really feel like it. Generally being able to get through the day without shoulder aches, arm spasms, numbness in my fingers etc. is better than a brief chest pump.

Collapsing Farts
Jun 29, 2018

💀
Just get tit implants idiots

Morons

DJ Fuckboy Supreme
Feb 10, 2011

And when you stare long into the abyss, you become aggressively, terminally chill

I made a bench attempt at 280x3 the other day. Probably no more than 60% rom at the end of my time but still felt good for not bailing. A spot would probably help my confidence too.

MikeCrotch
Nov 5, 2011

I AM UNJUSTIFIABLY PROUD OF MY SPAGHETTI BOLOGNESE RECIPE

YES, IT IS AN INCREDIBLY SIMPLE DISH

NO, IT IS NOT NORMAL TO USE A PEPPERAMI INSTEAD OF MINCED MEAT

YES, THERE IS TOO MUCH SALT IN MY RECIPE

NO, I WON'T STOP SHARING IT

more like BOLLOCKnese
I too am much more motivated on bench when not in immediate danger of death

MikeCrotch
Nov 5, 2011

more like BOLLOCKnese
Squats on the other hand

bomb
Nov 3, 2005

I wasn't training bench at all until this thread made me sad about my weak bench numbers

I'd much rather do oly lifting.

Omnikin
May 29, 2007

Press 'E' for Medic
I did notice an increase in focus and pressing ability with a spotter. I still hate hand-offs though

MikeCrotch
Nov 5, 2011

more like BOLLOCKnese
I love em, but mostly because I bench with a huge arch and near max width grip like a knob

Fhqwhgads
Jul 18, 2003

I AM THE ONLY ONE IN THIS GAME WHO GETS LAID
Why the hate for handoffs? Unracking puts you at a really weak angle once you're lifting near/at max. I'd rather use my energy to actually press, not trying to unrack without losing tightness and burning energy. It's even worse for incline bench.

Greg Legg
Oct 6, 2004

sassassin posted:

Unless you plan to compete (bodybuilding, power lifting, nfl combine) there's no need unless you really want big titties. Certainly no reason to jump through hoops if the standard lifts cause shoulder pain.

I've had shoulder issues for years and bench press is an absolute no. Cable press is touch and go but I can do some light work if I really feel like it. Generally being able to get through the day without shoulder aches, arm spasms, numbness in my fingers etc. is better than a brief chest pump.

This is basically what I'm thinking as well because my shoulder feels great while liftting/bjj now and it took 9 months to get there. I am probably better off focusing on dropping some body fat for now.

Thank you!

Omnikin
May 29, 2007

Press 'E' for Medic

Fhqwhgads posted:

Why the hate for handoffs? Unracking puts you at a really weak angle once you're lifting near/at max. I'd rather use my energy to actually press, not trying to unrack without losing tightness and burning energy. It's even worse for incline bench.

Idk, it’s probably just a function of lifting with a not serious friend who didn’t do much. I lifted off my own 1rm last year and it was fine so... no harm no foul really

DJ Fuckboy Supreme
Feb 10, 2011

And when you stare long into the abyss, you become aggressively, terminally chill

I had no idea that people hand off the bar for people benching

I ought to try that some time.

barkbell
Apr 14, 2006

woof
Hand jobs are great if the person knows what they are doing

Fallows
Jan 20, 2005

If he waits long enough he can use his accrued interest from his savings to bring his negative checking balance back into the black.

DJ Fuckboy Supreme posted:

time the hand off to coincide with your forehead sweat dripping into his mouth for max power

bomb
Nov 3, 2005

Fallows posted:

time the hand off to coincide with your forehead sweat dripping into his mouth for max power

Electrolyte drip fresh from the source

Drunk Driver Dad
Feb 18, 2005

DJ Fuckboy Supreme posted:

It's even allowed in competition!

Fallows
Jan 20, 2005

If he waits long enough he can use his accrued interest from his savings to bring his negative checking balance back into the black.
You can also blame your failed bench on the lovely lift off

Verisimilidude
Dec 20, 2006

Strike quick and hurry at him,
not caring to hit or miss.
So that you dishonor him before the judges

I took about 3 months off during unemployment and felt like poo poo. Lost my abs and arms, then went to Paris for a week and ate pastries every day. Got a job that pays enough for me to go to the gym and take judo classes, so now I’m on a new regimen of 3 days at the gym, 2 days of judo a week. Stacking that with eating healthy and light.

Two months in and I’m really appreciating the results.

MikeCrotch
Nov 5, 2011

more like BOLLOCKnese
That's some quality vein action

ANGRYGREEK
May 3, 2007

If you meet the Storm Spirit on the lane, gank him.
I switched to the GZCL method and love it! Fresh, exciting and all around feeling good.

Now, I got a pro tip to ya‘ll, if you lightly strain your lower back after squatting and feel a bit of pain, don‘t be like me and deadlift on the next day! I only made it worse now!

I had an injury free spell for so long now and my back was GREAT, and now this, just when I was looking forward to hit the gym almost every day.

bomb
Nov 3, 2005

I've been low carb for the last month and have lost ~10 pounds. I've been focusing on pre-workout nutrition and not having carbohydrates really hasn't hurt my gains. I'm still moving up which is nice.

Finally swapped to Barbell Snatches and Clean+Press since my gym is never going to buy me heavier kettlebells. Now to bug them about an oly platform.

canadianclassic
Nov 3, 2004

Lol Julius maddox just benched 744

sassassin
Apr 3, 2010

by Azathoth

canadianclassic posted:

how many inches?

Fallows
Jan 20, 2005

This is him benching 739 with full rom:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=b2tQFIojM80

MarcusSA
Sep 23, 2007

Fallows posted:

Dat Pause

canadianclassic
Nov 3, 2004

He is Very Legit and Very Strong. No weird arch tricks

canadianclassic
Nov 3, 2004

He's got the 744 on instagram and it looks easy. He was gonna go for 770 or some crazy poo poo but he apparently had a nagging Pec thing so settled for a measly 744 world record

MarcusSA
Sep 23, 2007

canadianclassic posted:

He's got the 744 on instagram and it looks easy. He was gonna go for 770 or some crazy poo poo but he apparently had a nagging Pec thing so settled for a measly 744 world record

That 739 looked like it took no effort. That is insane.

nooneofconsequence
Oct 30, 2012

she had tiny Italian boobs.
Well that's my story.

Fallows posted:

drat spotter almost killed him

nooneofconsequence
Oct 30, 2012

she had tiny Italian boobs.
Well that's my story.

canadianclassic posted:

https://www.instagram.com/p/B48IyuuAnu9/

so fast :eyepop:

Zzulu
May 15, 2009

(▰˘v˘▰)
That is impressive

but he also weighs like 450 pounds

barkbell
Apr 14, 2006

woof
Kai Greene going vegan

MarcusSA
Sep 23, 2007

Zzulu posted:

That is impressive

but he also weighs like 450 pounds

Ok? I don’t see your point.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Fallows
Jan 20, 2005

barkbell posted:

Kai Greene going vegan

well at least he has the name for it