Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
a kitten
Aug 5, 2006

Suitaru posted:

also: skillchains were cool and good and a heavily altered version of such, with DPS cooperating to do more damage, would be rad; fight me irl

I think so too, but i'm not sure there's actually a way to make it work with modern, fun MMO design like FFXIV has, it'll always be cool in my memories though.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Smart Car
Mar 31, 2011

a kitten posted:

Regarding glamours: this site lets you submit, tag, and search by class, type, and item. So you can type in a piece of armor and see what others have done with it, or just browse BLM glamours or whatever. It's pretty cool!

http://xivbubblegum.pink/glmbk/
I've always preferred figuring things out on my own, alternatively figuring out a real world thing and trying to replicate it to a certain extent.

Reco
Feb 26, 2011

enemy one body to the proximity Zan attack discard the power slap hit.

Suitaru posted:

it's nice that now, in FFXI's retirement, all of us tanaka victims can simultaneously agree that the game was terrible and yet wallow in the nostalgia of the sound/etc design. immediately after having flashbacks of leveling down I started a video of Vana'diel March and it made me feel better

The world/art design and music are some of FFXI's strong points, even if the world design ended up being horrid copypaste schlock

wonder what it would have been like with actual good direction to go along with the ideas man

SwissArmyDruid
Feb 14, 2014

by sebmojo

LegionAreI posted:

Ugh, this was my dynamis linkshell's preferred "you fell asleep wake up" noise, I still hear it in my head sometimes.

How can we be posting this stuff without: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5ZkVv4pJqNc

Holy cow, I had forgotten how much I missed this.

Kuvo
Oct 27, 2008

Blame it on the misfortune of your bark!
Fun Shoe
do we still have to tag HW spoilers?

Tactical Lesbian
Mar 31, 2012

Back in my day, ~500 dps was hot poo poo! drat you kids and your newfangled shiny gear! :bahgawd:

World War Mammories
Aug 25, 2006

a kitten posted:

I think so too, but i'm not sure there's actually a way to make it work with modern, fun MMO design like FFXIV has, it'll always be cool in my memories though.

Give DPS classes various sets of elementally-associated off-GCD damaging abilities, with cooldowns of 30 seconds to a minute, that apply, say, an 8-second debuff. Debuff does nothing unless another debuff of a different, appropriate element is applied, in which case the first debuff explodes for damage, like limit breaks (ie. damage based on the whole party that does not generate threat). Multiplier increases based on how many detonations occur in sequence. Min-max by actually making use of elemental weaknesses, so you can pick an enemy-appropriate skillchain among the combinations your DPS have available between themselves. I'm a loving genius.

Also, expand buffing consumables from just food and potions to other crafted items. Weapon-improving poo poo, armor-improving poo poo, jewelry-improving poo poo, various small stat buffs, distribute sets of them to BSM/ARM/WVR/LTW/CRP/GSM.

Hire me yoship.

e:

Hivac posted:

The world/art design and music are some of FFXI's strong points, even if the world design ended up being horrid copypaste schlock

wonder what it would have been like with actual good direction to go along with the ideas man

whoa whoa whoa are you saying you didn't enjoy combing every loving corner of eldieme necropolis for a treasure coffer? what about guiding that loving quasilumin through loving hu'xzoi and ru'hmet for the privilege of dying to the ix'zdei

at least the empyreal paradox was a cool battlefield

World War Mammories fucked around with this message at 18:10 on Oct 14, 2015

seiferguy
Jun 9, 2005

FLAWED
INTUITION

Toilet Rascal
Would anyone be interested in a goon PVP Linkshell on Excal? I'm probably gonna create one for people interested in it and solicit it on FFGoons (because let's face it: those PVP glamours are amazing) but I'm not sure if I should break it down by grand company or not.

Mr. Nice!
Oct 13, 2005

bone shaking.
soul baking.

Suitaru posted:

Give DPS classes various sets of elementally-associated off-GCD damaging abilities, with cooldowns of 30 seconds to a minute, that apply, say, an 8-second debuff. Debuff does nothing unless another debuff of a different, appropriate element is applied, in which case the first debuff explodes for damage, like limit breaks (ie. damage based on the whole party that does not generate threat). Multiplier increases based on how many detonations occur in sequence. Min-max by actually making use of elemental weaknesses, so you can pick an enemy-appropriate skillchain among the combinations your DPS have available between themselves. I'm a loving genius.

Also, expand buffing consumables from just food and potions to other crafted items. Weapon-improving poo poo, armor-improving poo poo, jewelry-improving poo poo, various small stat buffs, distribute sets of them to BSM/ARM/WVR/LTW/CRP/GSM.

Hire me yoship.

problem is nerds will minimax such things and then you have classes excluded from content because they don't provide the right skillchain component. One of the biggest tenants of FFXIV since yoshi took over is that every class is viable in all content.

nuru
Oct 10, 2012

seiferguy posted:

Would anyone be interested in a goon PVP Linkshell on Excal? I'm probably gonna create one for people interested in it and solicit it on FFGoons (because let's face it: those PVP glamours are amazing) but I'm not sure if I should break it down by grand company or not.

It won't be very useful if it's for all GCs, unless you're trying to arrange matches against each other via queuing at the same time.

Tyberius
Oct 21, 2006

seiferguy posted:

Depends on your focus, if it's Frontlines then it will be limited to just your GC. However if it's for scheduling weekly Wolves Den match ups for the Challenge Log then all GCs can team up for it.

World War Mammories
Aug 25, 2006

Mr. Nice! posted:

problem is nerds will minimax such things and then you have classes excluded from content because they don't provide the right skillchain component. One of the biggest tenants of FFXIV since yoshi took over is that every class is viable in all content.

True. In FFXI it was interesting to, say, look for someone who could close a Fragmentation skillchain when leveling on something weak to it, but that type of game design is defunct for good reason.

I imagine that, say, out of eight elements every class has access to four, so that every possible combination of DPS classes would have some valid combo. If there were no elemental weaknesses, like the game currently is, such a system could be simple enough to support that philosophy.

Not that it matters, The Yoship works in mysterious ways and his mind is unknown to mortals. But what the hell else am I gonna do at work other than shitpost in this thread

Boten Anna
Feb 22, 2010

VgameT posted:

700 isn't that bad, in my experience. I notice myself doing more than 50% of the total group DPS in a fair number of EXDRs, and I'm not that far above average (no i210 gear, for example.) With the right* perspective, seeing other players hit >700 is like a delightful treat!! And you get lots of comments like "wow this was the fastest run I've ever had!" at the end!

*nothing about this is right

I often do 50% of group DPS as the tank and it's super depressing :negative:

seiferguy
Jun 9, 2005

FLAWED
INTUITION

Toilet Rascal

nuru posted:

It won't be very useful if it's for all GCs, unless you're trying to arrange matches against each other via queuing at the same time.

Tyberius posted:

Depends on your focus, if it's Frontlines then it will be limited to just your GC. However if it's for scheduling weekly Wolves Den match ups for the Challenge Log then all GCs can team up for it.

These are good points. I'll probably start one for my GC only (and encourage others to do one for their own GC!) and if there's enough people in there, we could probably still arrange some 4vs4 Wolves Den matches too.

Tyberius
Oct 21, 2006

seiferguy posted:

These are good points. I'll probably start one for my GC only (and encourage others to do one for their own GC!) and if there's enough people in there, we could probably still arrange some 4vs4 Wolves Den matches too.

I'll be interested in your linkshell if it's used for coordinating Wolves Dens. I typically put up a PF on the weekend or Monday evening and it takes a good hour to fill up.

My GC is Maelstrom too by the way. Just need 88 more Frontlines wins for my ADS mount, someday...

Holyshoot
May 6, 2010
For all the bullshit ffxi had there was a lot less bullshit in it then EQ for its era of mmo's. Also the graphics were far better for its time.

"Why yes when I die and can't get back to my body I want to lose all my loot!"

"Well I fell off this boat half way to my destination. Hope I don't get murdered going back to town and then never recover my body and lose all my gear."

loquacius
Oct 21, 2008

Tbf "less bullshit than EQ" is a pretty easy bar to clear :v:

My experiences with MMOs as a teenager: (1) play EQ for two months then quit because it felt less like a game and more like a job I was paying to work at where my boss was a jerk, (2) completely fail to get my parents' Dell in a state where it could run FFXI; return box copy; buy Vice City for PS2

Those experiences combined to put me off both MMOs and PC customization until like five years ago and one year ago respectively

Holyshoot posted:

"Well I fell off this boat half way to my destination. Hope I don't get murdered going back to town and then never recover my body and lose all my gear."

lol this literally happened to me

I met a nice necromancer who helped me locate my ocean corpse, then got to hang out on a rock in the middle of the ocean until another boat passed by :allears:

Holyshoot
May 6, 2010

loquacius posted:

lol this literally happened to me

I met a nice necromancer who helped me locate my ocean corpse, then got to hang out on a rock in the middle of the ocean until another boat passed by :allears:

I fell off the boat and couldn't find my way back to town and said gently caress this. And the fact my parents made me take it back because I didn't have a job(I was 15 at the time) and they didn't want to pay my subscription fee.

Reco
Feb 26, 2011

Suitaru posted:

eldieme necropolis

Final Fantasy XI Online: Skeleton Holes

that game has so many holes you can fall in that are full of skeletons

a kitten
Aug 5, 2006

XIV needs more holes full of skeletons, it's true.

One thing I wouldn't actually mind having in this game is different mobs aggroing to different things: like elementals to magic, or undead to low HP or something. Not in a "pulls the whole Crawler's Nest" kind of way, but just to spice up the world a bit more.

World War Mammories
Aug 25, 2006

a kitten posted:

One thing I wouldn't actually mind having in this game is different mobs aggroing to different things: like elementals to magic, or undead to low HP or something. Not in a "pulls the whole Crawler's Nest" kind of way, but just to spice up the world a bit more.

This game actually has the sound/sight distinction and appropriate sneaking - go behind sight-aggro enemies, walk (don't run) to avoid sound-aggro enemies - though I'm not sure if there's such a thing as True Sight - probably is for, like, dungeons and poo poo. Anyway, the game never tells you and you never need to care, which is probably for the best.

Hivac posted:

Final Fantasy XI Online: Skeleton Holes

that game has so many holes you can fall in that are full of skeletons

Weren't there places with invisible holes full of beasties or am I just having a Jacob's Ladder type hallucination

Omnicrom
Aug 3, 2007
Snorlax Afficionado

a kitten posted:

I'm down for more Witch Drops. Especially if they're placed in such a way that you always ALMOST jump over them and then get mauled by demons.

Reco
Feb 26, 2011

Suitaru posted:

Weren't there places with invisible holes full of beasties or am I just having a Jacob's Ladder type hallucination

Yeah, there were a couple areas with invisible holes that you had to fall through for progress

I can't remember if the Yagudo NPCs hinted at it for you during some quest or something at some point but it was there

I haven't actually played much of XI so there might be more areas

Also yes mobs in dungeons are True Something, probably True Hearing, I know I can't stealth past a lot of them as NIN

Xenoveritas
May 9, 2010
Dinosaur Gum

Suitaru posted:

This game actually has the sound/sight distinction and appropriate sneaking - go behind sight-aggro enemies, walk (don't run) to avoid sound-aggro enemies - though I'm not sure if there's such a thing as True Sight - probably is for, like, dungeons and poo poo. Anyway, the game never tells you and you never need to care, which is probably for the best.

There are enemies with True Sight: they can detect stealthed ninjas/rogues (but not stealthed gatherers, because that would suck).

Edit: Actually, I'm not sure there are True Sight enemies outside of quests/dungeons, but the Ninja questline explains True Sight enemies.

Holyshoot
May 6, 2010

Suitaru posted:

The run to Jormungand (giant wyrm dragon with a respawn time of 5-7 days dropped poo poo loot but people wanted to kill it anwyays) had invisible holes. Along with true sight mobs and you also had to be sneak and invis the whole way there or you were going to die.

Brannock
Feb 9, 2006

by exmarx
Fallen Rib

Suitaru posted:

Is there a way to tell which enemies are sight- or sound-aggro?

nuru
Oct 10, 2012

Brannock posted:

Is there a way to tell which enemies are sight- or sound-aggro?

It generally fits a theme of "They don't have eyes so they aggro based on sound / they do have eyes so they aggro via vision". Some mobs like the mudpuppies have eyes in all angles and will see you no matter what.

a kitten
Aug 5, 2006

nuru posted:

It generally fits a theme of "They don't have eyes so they aggro based on sound / they do have eyes so they aggro via vision". Some mobs like the mudpuppies have eyes in all angles and will see you no matter what.

Pretty much that as far as I know, but like Suitaru said: i'm glad it doesn't actually matter. I'm definitely glad we don't have to slather ourselves in oil or dust to sneak thru entire zones to get to a dungeon BCNM. And even though I do strangely kind of miss the feeling of "Oh god! Elemental is nearby STOP CASTING! :supaburn: " having FATEs pop on top of you can at least sort of fill the void of unanticipated danger while leveling.

SwissArmyDruid
Feb 14, 2014

by sebmojo

Suitaru posted:

True. In FFXI it was interesting to, say, look for someone who could close a Fragmentation skillchain when leveling on something weak to it, but that type of game design is defunct for good reason.

I imagine that, say, out of eight elements every class has access to four, so that every possible combination of DPS classes would have some valid combo. If there were no elemental weaknesses, like the game currently is, such a system could be simple enough to support that philosophy.

Not that it matters, The Yoship works in mysterious ways and his mind is unknown to mortals. But what the hell else am I gonna do at work other than shitpost in this thread

I think there's still a place for skillchains in MMOs. I thought Mass Effect's combos were essentially a streamlining of the concept, (admittedly down to just "prime" and "detonate" which is a little boring) but I think there's still a place for the mechanic in FFXIV.

Omnicrom
Aug 3, 2007
Snorlax Afficionado

Incidentally knowing that enemies have facings and lines of sight is helpful if you're trying to run through a bunch of enemies that will otherwise aggro on you. You can juke your way pretty well through a couple of mob dense zones by zig-zagging behind them.

Kitfox88
Aug 21, 2007

Anybody lose their glasses?

Kuvo posted:

do we still have to tag HW spoilers?

Too fuckin soon

nuru
Oct 10, 2012

Maelstrom Scholars get some rad glamour options.

a kitten
Aug 5, 2006

Omnicrom posted:

Incidentally knowing that enemies have facings and lines of sight is helpful if you're trying to run through a bunch of enemies that will otherwise aggro on you. You can juke your way pretty well through a couple of mob dense zones by zig-zagging behind them.

It's your only chance while carrying stupid poo poo through the Slylphlands.

Nipponophile
Apr 8, 2009

a kitten posted:

It's your only chance while carrying stupid poo poo through the Slylphlands.

Well, it used to be. Now you have the alternate option of "being level 60".

Boten Anna
Feb 22, 2010

XIV has a lot of the same aggro rules as XI they just don't matter that much so nobody notices, and yeah they're incredibly detailed and realistic toward the monster.

Magic aggro is a thing too, I'm pretty sure.

nuru
Oct 10, 2012

I've yet to find a mob I can't park a shadowflare right next to.

Holyshoot
May 6, 2010

Boten Anna posted:

XIV has a lot of the same aggro rules as XI they just don't matter that much so nobody notices, and yeah they're incredibly detailed and realistic toward the monster.

Magic aggro is a thing too, I'm pretty sure.

The elementals aggro to casting magic. Just like in FFXI.

Martman
Nov 20, 2006

Also there's this strange mechanic where enemies can identify bad tanks and will never stay aggroed on them.

megalodong
Mar 11, 2008

Martman posted:

Also there's this strange mechanic where enemies can identify bad tanks and will never stay aggroed on them.

They recognize the tank can't take hits and are being nice to them.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Boten Anna
Feb 22, 2010

megalodong posted:

They recognize the tank can't take hits and are being nice to them.

the true power of vit accessories

• Locked thread