Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Tired Moritz
Mar 25, 2012

wish Lowtax would get tired of YOUR POSTS

(n o i c e)
tfw your cheerleader crush calls you a loser and steals your lunch with her chad jock bf

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

DemoneeHo
Nov 9, 2017

Come on hee-ho, just give us 300 more macca

Iunno, the cheating girlfriend story made the op seem pathetic enough to not be fake, but it op deleted it so it's probably fake. Mea culpa

In penance, have a story about a sexual harasser:

AITA to avoid a blind guy in my class ?

quote:

(First sorry for my English)

So it’s my last year in high school it’s been 3 years that I’m in class with a blind guy. He doesn’t have a lot of friends and people don’t appreciate him probably because he is disabled. Honestly i don’t really appreciate his company but at the since 2 years I try to be nice with him. He ask me everytime to sit next to him in English class and it’s not really a problem for me. He is quite boring and I have nothing to share with him but he is not a mean guy and it don’t coast me anything to stay a bit with him. Last year he told me that he was in love with me (probably because I’m the only one who is nice with him), I told him that I have a boyfriend but we can stay friends though. The following months he was really weird with me and told me things like « I can’t visualize your chest. Can you describe it for me please ? ». He was also really flirty and gross and English class next to him was more and more complicated for me. I was really ill at ease with his behavior. But I felt pitty for him so I accepted it. But 3 months ago he sent me a long letter. In this letter, he described his dick and the way he masturbated while thinking about me, and other stuffs like « my dick is so hard when you accidentally touch my hand in English class ». At this moment, I didn’t wanted to sit next to him anymore. This letter was really rude for me (even if I understand his pain, it’s not easy to find love when you’re blind), i was seriously chocked and I even cried a bit. Anyway, the blind guy told the teacher « Coline don’t want to sit next to me anymore » so the teacher was really upset. She told how much my behavior was bad, that the guy was a poor disabled guy and I had no heart. I was super angry against the teacher so I said in front of the class; « I don’t want to sit next to you because you’re a perv ! ». Since this day, people are angry against me. They tell me things like « you humiliated him » or « siting next to you in English was for him a sparkle in the middle of his dark day » or « he has a sad life and you make it even worst »

Am i the rear end in a top hat ? Sometimes i have the impression that I am, sometimes not

Tythas
Oct 3, 2013

Never felt at home in reality
Always hiding behind avatars

quote:

But 3 months ago he sent me a long letter.

but how?

Dazerbeams
Jul 8, 2009

She should print out that letter and hand it to everyone in class.

nomad2020
Jan 30, 2007

DragQueenofAngmar posted:

I [31f] said to my husband [30m] that I wouldn't have moved countries for him like he did for me, and it hurt him. What should I do now?

:thunk:

I suddenly feel like I got off easy, somehow.

Vim Fuego
Jun 1, 2000

Ultra Carp

A Wizard of Goatse posted:

wow this is what relationships with 3d girls are really like... makes you think...

MarcusSA
Sep 23, 2007

DemoneeHo posted:

Iunno, the cheating girlfriend story made the op seem pathetic enough to not be fake, but it op deleted it so it's probably fake. Mea culpa

And he’s not even really blind!

Fatkraken
Jun 23, 2005

Fun-time is over.
I agree that people constantly calling out stories as fake is annoying, but the ultra Christian Vegas hen party one just had me rolling my eyes, from the 7:15am church service to the old-timey descriptions of booze and drugs it was WAAAAAAY too on the nose to read as real.

Then again I don't live in the US and don't know any mad Evangelical Christians, so I'm willing to believe people like this do actually exist if enough of y'all think it's real

Blade Runner
Aug 14, 2015

Fatkraken posted:

I agree that people constantly calling out stories as fake is annoying, but the ultra Christian Vegas hen party one just had me rolling my eyes, from the 7:15am church service to the old-timey descriptions of booze and drugs it was WAAAAAAY too on the nose to read as real.

Then again I don't live in the US and don't know any mad Evangelical Christians, so I'm willing to believe people like this do actually exist if enough of y'all think it's real

hahahahahaha

Lugubrious
Jul 2, 2004

I've lived in the Bible Belt for 20 years (please kill me), and that list isn't completely unbelievable. I've known several people I 100% believe would do something like that.

Gone Fashing
Aug 4, 2004

KEEP POSTIN
I'M STILL LAFFIN
ive absolutely known people who would do that too. evangelical christianity has a way of convincing you that you're absolutely correct to do things like that

Anne Whateley
Feb 11, 2007
:unsmith: i like nice words
There are conservative Christians who would do some of that stuff, but they still wouldn't put vodka and tequila in quotes

Beachcomber
May 21, 2007

Another day in paradise.

Slippery Tilde

DragQueenofAngmar posted:

I [31f] said to my husband [30m] that I wouldn't have moved countries for him like he did for me, and it hurt him. What should I do now?

Fuck Your Website
Nov 29, 2003
FUCK YOU, AND FUCK YOUR WEBSITE
"Everyone send me $50 each for groceries" was what put it over the line for me, but honestly the writers of both that one and the restaurant guy went way overboard painting their antagonists as awful in literally every way but leaving out any humanizing details, because those people don't exist and are cartoonish exaggerations. There's no conflict because they just want the readers to dogpile on the universally agreed upon Bad Person.

But again let's not derail into debate on fake or not because of two bad writers, lets have more broken morons who can't do the blatantly obvious, from today's Dear Prudence:

quote:

Dear Prudence,
My 19-year-old half-sister is currently living with me. Her mother basically drove my sister into a mental breakdown with her unrealistic expectations and forced activities. Once she reached college, my sister realized she hated her major, her life, and herself. She was clinically depressed and borderline suicidal. Her mother told her that she was “weak and useless” and cut her off financially (our father had left us money but only for college, nothing we could use to support ourselves). I offered to take her in for a year, all expenses paid, so she could catch her breath. I have a master’s degree and a great job; one teenager isn’t going to break my budget.

My boyfriend makes “mooch” jokes around my sister, and it has spread to our circle of friends. Despite my warning him to lay off, it still comes up. I don’t want to reveal what actually is going on with my sister and her mental health, but I don’t know how to express how important it is to drop this joke. Last time, I snapped and told my boyfriend to shut up and that he wasn’t funny. It killed the entire mood and affected my sister badly. She doesn’t have any friends yet and spends most of her time volunteering at an animal shelter or with me. How do I get this across to everyone?

quote:

Dear Prudence,
My husband and I have become friendly with another couple, “Nadine” and “Jason.” Their kids are of similar ages (under 5), and we have a lot in common. Nadine and I see each other semiregularly, and I find her warm and friendly, if a bit naïve. Jason is also nice but has been incredibly flirty with me the past few times we’ve met, both in front of our partners and when they’re out of earshot, which has led me to believe they’re in an open relationship. He even took my husband aside one night and said, “Hey, dude, let me know if I cross the line with your wife,” to which my husband said, “She’ll let you know if you do.” Nonmonogamy is not what my husband and I are into right now, and definitely not with them. So far I’ve either deflected his flirtations or just walked away, which hasn’t really deterred his borderline sexual jokes and prolonged eye contact. If this were in a vacuum, I’d say something like, “Friend, I’m picking up some vibes from you that I don’t reciprocate” and leave it at that, but that seems too fraught at this time (he’d probably act stupefied and might even throw me under the bus with his wife). As it is, I’m not sure what to do—continue to make plans just with her? Try to find new friends? Say something to one or both of them? I should also mention he’s a beloved local politician in our small Midwestern town, and our paths will likely continue to cross professionally and in the community.

Dazerbeams
Jul 8, 2009

My sister is taking a year to cool off and reevaluate her life, with my blessing, so lay off. Thanks but no thanks, I'm flattered but not interested. Said no one who ever posted to reddit with their problems.

Anne Whateley
Feb 11, 2007
You can't really say "thanks but no thanks" to someone who just stares at you or makes sexual jokes. You can really only say that in response to a clear move, which he carefully hasn't made because he knows she would say no.

A Wizard of Goatse
Dec 14, 2014

Anne Whateley posted:

You can't really say "thanks but no thanks" to someone who just stares at you or makes sexual jokes. You can really only say that in response to a clear move, which he carefully hasn't made because he knows she would say no.

exactly the situation for which everyone should practice until they can master the five-minute belch

bus hustler
Mar 14, 2019

Ha Ha Ha... YES!
R/relationships: Friend, I’m picking up some vibes from you that I don’t reciprocate

Dazerbeams
Jul 8, 2009

You can absolutely say thanks but no thanks. Just don't make it a response to one of the guy's jokes or stares. He knows what he's doing and she hasn't told him to stop yet. If the guy has any sense, he'll laugh it off and feign ignorance once he's actually called out.

Dazerbeams fucked around with this message at 19:49 on Apr 18, 2019

WeedlordGoku69
Feb 12, 2015

by Cyrano4747

Fatkraken posted:

I live in the Houston area, in a suburb that people basically move to if they're afraid of non-white people. About 75% of my high school was exactly like that person.

Like I said: I've met enough horrible people that I'm not gonna wring my hands and call "fake" at a story about someone being a horrible person unless something specifically trips red flags for me. Common decency is not overly common, and a lot of the stories that make people in here start going "lmao fake, no way that's real" just kind of make me go "yeah, that tracks" as a result.

Baronjutter
Dec 31, 2007

"Tiny Trains"

The whole "I moved for you... would you have moved for me?" question really depends on where the people are from. If one person lives somewhere nice with lots of opportunities and a non-xenophobic culture and the other lives in a racist poo poo-hole that can make a huge difference over expectations on who should be uprooting and moving.

Like, it was really a lot of adjustment and work for my wife to uproot from Russia and move to Canada, but she already was a fluent speaker and was pretty done with life Russia and the political direction it was taking under Putin. Yeah, I absolutely would not have moved to Russia for her and she never expected me to because who the gently caress would want to move TO Russia?

School Nickname
Apr 23, 2010

*fffffff-fffaaaaaaarrrtt*
:ussr:

Gone Fashing posted:

alright it's annoying when people call stories fake but that one about the cheating girlfriend is 100% made up

The writer took direct inspiration from this video. 100%.

Pick
Jul 19, 2009
Nap Ghost

DemoneeHo posted:

So there's this thing about disabled men--

DemoneeHo
Nov 9, 2017

Come on hee-ho, just give us 300 more macca

Baronjutter posted:

The whole "I moved for you... would you have moved for me?" question really depends on where the people are from. If one person lives somewhere nice with lots of opportunities and a non-xenophobic culture and the other lives in a racist poo poo-hole that can make a huge difference over expectations on who should be uprooting and moving.

Like, it was really a lot of adjustment and work for my wife to uproot from Russia and move to Canada, but she already was a fluent speaker and was pretty done with life Russia and the political direction it was taking under Putin. Yeah, I absolutely would not have moved to Russia for her and she never expected me to because who the gently caress would want to move TO Russia?

That would be a good reason why one person wouldn't want to move from one country to meet up with their spouse living in another country. But that's a different situation than what the OP is talking about. From what I can tell, both OP and her husband were already living together in the same country, and moved together as a unit because of OP's job. The hypothetical is less about where they move, but instead about would you follow your loved one to another country.

Blade Runner
Aug 14, 2015

Baronjutter posted:

That isn't really a reason she mentions, though, so it seems silly to imply it in this context, since I can't imagine she wouldn't mention it if he lived in Antarctica or something. She basically acknowledges that she would've been in the same situation as him if she'd moved, and she didn't care enough about him to go through with it.

Pick
Jul 19, 2009
Nap Ghost
It's like people haven't even heard of lying

Pick
Jul 19, 2009
Nap Ghost
Yes honey I would've done anything for you. I would've moved to the moon. It's a good thing that it worked out the other way though, because you were perfectly happy moving here, and we are happy, and we both love each other an equal amount

CheesyDog
Jul 4, 2007

by FactsAreUseless
r/sex
The ethics of a bbw/ssbbw/belly fetish and my behavior.
u/GimmeThatBBW

quote:

I'm into big girls, and their big bodies, especially their bellies. The thing is a lot of the community that embraces these things is also into gaining and feeding, which I find very unethical and I think it pretty much amounts to suicide and assisted suicide.

I want to be able to give big girls compliments, and appreciate them as they are, without encouraging destructive behavior. On the one hand I think these groups of women probably don't receive a lot of compliments and me complimenting them is a positive thing and that big girls should be able to enjoy their bodies and sex. On the other hand, although I won't directly encourage them to gain weight, I feel like by expressing my appreciation for them or expressing that I want them, for many of them it might feed into their destructive behavior.

I know I'm not responsible for their choices, but this has been bothering me for quite sometime and I've thought about it a lot without coming to a conclusion. I feel confused.

Any input would be appreciated

ClamdestineBoyster
Aug 15, 2015
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

Pick posted:

Yes honey I would've done anything for you. I would've moved to the moon. It's a good thing that it worked out the other way though, because you were perfectly happy moving here, and we are happy, and we both love each other an equal amount

Has anyone ever tried to talk to or be pleasant towards this person? Jfc.

dudeness
Mar 5, 2010

:minnie: Cat Army :minnie:
Fallen Rib

CheesyDog posted:

r/sex
The ethics of a bbw/ssbbw/belly fetish and my behavior.
u/GimmeThatBBW

Oh drat, they got Super Saiyan BBWs now?

Vim Fuego
Jun 1, 2000

Ultra Carp

Pick posted:

Do I love you? I'm glad you asked, because I have spent a long time think up my answer to that question and HONOR compels me to be completely and totally honest with you. Yes, I love you, but I don't love you as much as you love me. For example, I would not be willing to be significantly inconvenienced on your behalf. Also, you need to know that I support you and your career, up to a point, that point being roughly somewhere between what we've got going on here and if you were to ask me to move somewhere else with you for your job, which although you haven't done, I need you to know I wouldn't do, because it's so totally important to be honest with you. Wait, why are you packing a bag?

Smirking_Serpent
Aug 27, 2009

AITA for offering to pay for my nephew’s tuition but not my girlfriend’s son?

Full disclosure: I’m on the spectrum so I’ve spent my life second guessing if my actions are justified or need correction. Internet is great as an unbiased party.

So I’ve got a very lucrative job and I make quite a lot of money compared to other 30 year olds. My nephew who just turned 19 just got into a very, very prestigious university that costs ~50k a year in tuition. They’ve got aid for only 15k and he would need to take out loans to cover the remainder. I want to pay this for him because 1) it’s not a lot of money for me and 2) my sister basically raised me and my younger brother after our mother passed away. She got pregnant early, and sacrificed her career to raise her son and her siblings. I owe a lot of my success to her.

The issue: I’ve got a girlfriend of nearly 2 years. She also has a son who’s 15 and she’s been very unhappy ever since I said I’ll pay for my nephews schooling. Last week, after nearly a month of the cold shoulder for no reason, she says she’s mad I’ve offered to pay so much for my nephew but has promised nothing for her own son.

My logic is this: I’m not close to her son as he lives with his dad 80% of the year. Her son has never liked me either (he thinks I’m weird) and rarely responds even when I talk to him. I don’t feel that I’m responsible for him at all. I respect my gf’s relationship with her ex but I’ve never been involved in any kind of parenting.

My girlfriend is upset because she thinks I should take on a more fatherly role instead of trying to support my nephew. Her son should come first and that includes financial support. I’m really confused because I’ve never gotten the sense I should be, but now I wonder if I’ve missed signs and really messed up.

Smirking_Serpent
Aug 27, 2009

AITA for disliking the culture I was raised in and not identifying with it?

I’m a 23 y/o male who was raised in southern Louisiana, and I grew to dislike every aspect of culture in southern Louisiana. This lead to me deciding to go to university in Houston, TX because I had been there plenty of time before and I loved the diversity of the city.

Well, I’ve recently graduated and apparently getting a college degree doesn’t mean you’ll have a career started right away. You know, companies wanting you to have 7 years of experience for an entry level position that you are more than qualified for.....things like that.

So I’ve had to move back home to the place I can not stand. I DON’T MEAN MY PARENTS. I absolutely love my mom and step dad, they are extremely generous and extremely supportive. I just can not stand the area of which I grew up.

A lot of my family however, are diehard southerners. Confederate flag, southern pride stickers, constant homophobic slurs if you do anything that doesn’t involve getting your hands covered in mud.... all of that. I find it extremely weird, and I’m thankful I never succumbed to the culture I was raised in.

Here is where the AITA comes in. I was with that set of family, and told them that I was trying to get a job in a bigger city out of state. They asked why, to which I responded, “ I don’t like Louisiana”.

I was met by 3 family members telling me I shouldn’t say things like that, and that I should respect where I was brought up. I also over heard my uncle say “Houston turned him into a city loving rear end in a top hat”.

In my opinion I became more of a man living in Houston, and that most of my useful life experience came from living in Houston.

Gone Fashing
Aug 4, 2004

KEEP POSTIN
I'M STILL LAFFIN
drat this guy needs to talk to the goon a few posts up who has learned to see through the bullshit by living in Houston unlike the naive simpletons that post alongside him

MarcusSA
Sep 23, 2007

Smirking_Serpent posted:

AITA for offering to pay for my nephew’s tuition but not my girlfriend’s son?

Full disclosure: I’m on the spectrum so I’ve spent my life second guessing if my actions are justified or need correction. Internet is great as an unbiased party.

So I’ve got a very lucrative job and I make quite a lot of money compared to other 30 year olds. My nephew who just turned 19 just got into a very, very prestigious university that costs ~50k a year in tuition. They’ve got aid for only 15k and he would need to take out loans to cover the remainder. I want to pay this for him because 1) it’s not a lot of money for me and 2) my sister basically raised me and my younger brother after our mother passed away. She got pregnant early, and sacrificed her career to raise her son and her siblings. I owe a lot of my success to her.

The issue: I’ve got a girlfriend of nearly 2 years. She also has a son who’s 15 and she’s been very unhappy ever since I said I’ll pay for my nephews schooling. Last week, after nearly a month of the cold shoulder for no reason, she says she’s mad I’ve offered to pay so much for my nephew but has promised nothing for her own son.

My logic is this: I’m not close to her son as he lives with his dad 80% of the year. Her son has never liked me either (he thinks I’m weird) and rarely responds even when I talk to him. I don’t feel that I’m responsible for him at all. I respect my gf’s relationship with her ex but I’ve never been involved in any kind of parenting.

My girlfriend is upset because she thinks I should take on a more fatherly role instead of trying to support my nephew. Her son should come first and that includes financial support. I’m really confused because I’ve never gotten the sense I should be, but now I wonder if I’ve missed signs and really messed up.

NTA also the GFs kid is still a few years away so why don’t you wait and see if he even gets into a school before getting all pissy?

Fuck Your Website
Nov 29, 2003
FUCK YOU, AND FUCK YOUR WEBSITE

Smirking_Serpent posted:

AITA for disliking the culture I was raised in and not identifying with it?
https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Crab_mentality

Mr. Lobe
Feb 23, 2007

... Dry bones...

MarcusSA posted:

NTA also the GFs kid is still a few years away so why don’t you wait and see if he even gets into a school before getting all pissy?

Under the best of circumstances, a single woman with a teenage child probably and understandably prioritizes the willingness and ability of a partner to ease the financial burden of child rearing. Considering this guy's apparently some kind of high roller, she's probably frustrated to find out there are some hard limits to what he is willing to spend in that regard. Given that he apparently has at least a somewhat off-putting personality, if the kid's reaction is any indication, I wonder if she even sees anything in him. She might just not be able to keep up the charade as well if her interest in him is primarily material.

Blade Runner
Aug 14, 2015

Mr. Lobe posted:

Under the best of circumstances, a single woman with a teenage child probably and understandably prioritizes the willingness and ability of a partner to ease the financial burden of child rearing. Considering this guy's apparently some kind of high roller, she's probably frustrated to find out there are some hard limits to what he is willing to spend in that regard. Given that he apparently has at least a somewhat off-putting personality, if the kid's reaction is any indication, I wonder if she even sees anything in him.

If her reaction to the revelation that a person she's been going out with for two years isn't willing to spend hundreds of thousands of dollars on a child he has no responsibility to and never sees is to get extremely angry and frustrated, perhaps she is the rear end in a top hat

Anne Whateley
Feb 11, 2007

Dazerbeams posted:

You can absolutely say thanks but no thanks. Just don't make it a response to one of the guy's jokes or stares. He knows what he's doing and she hasn't told him to stop yet. If the guy has any sense, he'll laugh it off and feign ignorance once he's actually called out.
Yeah he absolutely will feign cluelessness and put it all on her, those shitheads always do and she knows he will, that's the problem

quote:

If this were in a vacuum, I’d say something like, “Friend, I’m picking up some vibes from you that I don’t reciprocate” and leave it at that, but that seems too fraught at this time (he’d probably act stupefied and might even throw me under the bus with his wife). As it is, I’m not sure what to do—continue to make plans just with her? Try to find new friends? Say something to one or both of them? I should also mention he’s a beloved local politician in our small Midwestern town, and our paths will likely continue to cross professionally and in the community.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

MarcusSA
Sep 23, 2007

Mr. Lobe posted:

Under the best of circumstances, a single woman with a teenage child probably and understandably prioritizes the willingness and ability of a partner to ease the financial burden of child rearing. Considering this guy's apparently some kind of high roller, she's probably frustrated to find out there are some hard limits to what he is willing to spend in that regard. Given that he apparently has at least a somewhat off-putting personality, if the kid's reaction is any indication, I wonder if she even sees anything in him.

Maybe :10bux::20bux: :homebrew: ?

Also I mean if the kid really is with the dad 80% of the time why does none of the responsibility fall on him? Like she just expected this dude to fork over cash?