Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Mukip
Jan 27, 2011

by Reene

Solarflare posted:

I agree w/ this, I started an empire VH campaign and pretty much right after I took Marienburg the Skaelings declared war on me and marched 4 stacks down into my lands. I was only able to beat it by ambush baiting, because I could field two full stacks maximum. Some way to make the Skaelings a bit weaker early on would be great, I barely had time to do anything else in the Empire before it became full time viking fighting.

On legendary you pretty much have to fight Skaelings constantly, in addition to having Marienburg, to power your economy. A Skaeling stack can be worth up to 3000 gold in loot and ransoms. They are worth tens of thousands of gold over time. Once the Chaos invasion starts they are worth a lot of diplo points, too (I had +40 with some factions, mitigated by -10 for releasing troops). My Empire playthrough is some reverse viking culture where I wait for them to show up and then rob the shirts off their backs.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

TaurusTorus
Mar 27, 2010

Grab the bullshit by the horns

Decus posted:

That equipment tab is for siege equipment though.

Well egg on my face, I never play those outside of single player. Complaint withdrawn.

Triskelli
Sep 27, 2011

I AM A SKELETON
WITH VERY HIGH
STANDARDS

Perestroika posted:

So, since we have effortposts on everything but Dwarfs, I figured I'd try my hand at them.

Very good, but I would add this. Despite Slayers generally not being worth it, they are one of the only units that can run down enemies after a battle is over. This only matters if you start with Ungrim Ironfist but it means you'll have an easier time ranking up slayers compared to other units.

Lunethex
Feb 4, 2013

Me llamo Sarah Brandolino, the eighth Castilian of this magnificent marriage.
So the story of Archaon was that Grimgor ruined his poo poo but GW backpedaled and made Chaos win anyway?

Xae
Jan 19, 2005

I would like to defend the Hellblaster cannon.

I used one last night and it tore people a new one.

I had two mortars fire until they were dry for 200 total casualties. My Hellblaster was half empty and finished with 150. Which surprised me, I wasn't sure it was doing anything. But apparently it was too busy murdering everything in sight to bother with a particle effect.

Lunethex posted:

So the story of Archaon was that Grimgor ruined his poo poo but GW backpedaled and made Chaos win anyway?

They wanted to reset button Warhammer Fantasy into Age of Sigmar. Which is why all the warhammer games got licensed. Since traditional Warhammer is officially dead they aren't worried about fun having video games interfering with their Model and Paint sales.

Mazz
Dec 12, 2012

Orion, this is Sperglord Actual.
Come on home.

Got home, started my Dwarf post, refreshed and you beat me to it :argh:

Anyways I agree with all of that.

Only a few things I'd add:

- The buffs that lord/hero skills give. Lord of Axes and following ranged unit one are pretty amazing at 2 and 3 points, and can propel early armies pretty significantly. Master Engineers are absolutely ridiculous when levelled up, as they have both active and passive buffs for your ranged units that can change the outcome of really difficult battles when used at a good time.

- Brimstone Gyros do get real good if you give them proper attention and positioning commands. They aren't limited by line of sight and have a lot of flexibility/mobility dwarf armies don't have normally. Just get them out attacking Chaos units (especially hellcannons) right at the start of the game and keep them attacking stuff and they'll get a surprising amount done. It only gets better as you add more on too, since the damage can get pretty crazy with 3-4 units of them on one target. The projectile does 75 AP damage and can hit multiple targets if in a line.

- Slayers can have a bit of unusual value as a second line unit, especially against monsters. Spread them out to max width right behind your line, and anything that has the mass to push through (monsters and heavy units) get really, really hosed up by them. Hammerers can do this too though, so YMMV. I have a weird love for slayers in this role though, watched them kill a Terrorgeist in like 12 seconds one battle.

Also I'd add the mention of using underway interception to your advantage, and to consider using the corner of the map against cav heavy armies to limit the flanking possible and giving you much better cohesion when outnumbered like that. I won a lot of regularly unwinnable battles (2-3:1 odds against Chaos) doing those things.

Mazz fucked around with this message at 23:58 on Jun 7, 2016

Magni
Apr 29, 2009

Wilekat posted:

Christ, Doom Divers are nasty. Got into a great intercept against Grimgor,:line held strong against the Orc push, Grimgor himself took a faceful of cannonball and at the victory screen it turned out that single doom diver of his had put down 120 dwarfs. About 60% of my casualties. On its own.

Respect the flying goblins.

At the start of any Dwarf campaign, I consider that loving Doomdiver a priority target the moment Grimgor pops up. First chance I get, I'll vanguard-deploy some Miners behind his army solely to kill that drat thing.

Party In My Diapee
Jan 24, 2014
Are Doom Divers deadlier than Great Cannons, Hellcannons and Cannons?

Also, is it true that the load order of mods are determined alphabetically? I sure hope my 45 mods play nice with each other :orks101:

Tenzarin
Jul 24, 2007
Taco Defender

Just imagine this song coming out of his mouth!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=V92OBNsQgxU

Mazz
Dec 12, 2012

Come on home.

Back To 99 posted:

Also, is it true that the load order of mods are determined alphabetically? I sure hope my 45 mods play nice with each other :orks101:

Mods only interact when they modify the same tables, unfortunately there are a handful of poorly made mods that don't change the table names, and therefore overwrite both vanilla values and interact with other mods when they don't need to.

But yeah, if 2 mods are messing with the same table, like land_units, and they don't do it right, they are definite overwrite problems. Hell even if they do it right they will still overwrite if modifying the same values.

Ra Ra Rasputin
Apr 2, 2011
Today I learned that even though Lord's can not gain experience from combat like in past games, you can still have a military hero with skills in training and your Lord can get exp ranks, and it does improve their stats drastically.

Ra Ra Rasputin fucked around with this message at 00:51 on Jun 8, 2016

Triskelli
Sep 27, 2011

I AM A SKELETON
WITH VERY HIGH
STANDARDS

Back To 99 posted:

Yes, for the same reason battleships were replaced by cruisers.

Guided missiles.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=b2mUPDTurxY

Triskelli fucked around with this message at 00:12 on Jun 8, 2016

Whorelord
May 1, 2013

Jump into the well...

Lunethex posted:

grimgor beat archaeon but only after he'd killed/mortally wounded the reincarnation of sigmar and some warrior priest guy so it wasn't a straight up fight

Whorelord fucked around with this message at 00:23 on Jun 8, 2016

Mazz
Dec 12, 2012

Come on home.

Ra Ra Rasputin posted:

Today I learned that even though Lord's can not gain experience from combat like in past games, you can still have a military hero with skills in training and your Lord CAN get exp ranks, and it does improve their stats drastically.

I've noticed the little chevrons popping up but didn't put them together, drat.

LGD
Sep 25, 2004

Mazz posted:

Got home, started my Dwarf post, refreshed and you beat me to it :argh:

Anyways I agree with all of that. Only things I'd add are the buffs that lord/hero skills give. Lord of Axes and following ranged unit one are pretty amazing at 2 and 3 points, and can propel early armies pretty significantly. Master Engineers are absolutely ridiculous when levelled up, as they have both active and passive buffs for your ranged units that can change the outcome of really difficult battles when used at a good time. Also, Brimstone Gyros do get better then artillery if you can give them proper attention. They aren't limited by line of sight and have a lot of flexibility/mobility dwarf armies don't have normally.

I will say you also want to pick up the Axe Lord equivalent for their higher tier melee units as well, because beyond lacking shields Hammerers also have surprisingly low melee defense for a Dwarf unit and as such do much better as flankers than as part of your main line even if you don't have to contend with any ranged units (though they'll still kill everything). Plus it's a bit sad when Warriors have better base stats than Longbeards.

Also, one extra thing about Quarrelers- they're absolutely loving bonkers in siege assaults and you can clear walls simply by parking a line of them in range. Siege warfare isn't something that Dwarfs really have an issue with anyway, but you won't believe how brutal they actually are until you try it yourself. Note that this works way later than you'd naively expect- while they're not as good against armored foes as your other options, with upgrades they still output a very appreciable amount of AP damage just through sheer volume of fire, and not requiring direct line of effect gives them utility in any battle even when they don't have any squishy targets to massacre.

e:

Whorelord posted:

grimgor beat archaeon but only after he'd killed/mortally wounded the reincarnation of sigmar and some warrior priest guy so it wasn't a straight up fight
which was part of the issue, because the actual campaign results indicated Chaos should have been more a "wet fart" than a "storm," so Archaeon takes a lot of hate because he was depicted as loving up characters of different factions by pure GW editorial fiat after those factions resoundingly won their portion of the online campaign

this might not matter as much if Archaeon didn't suffer from the usual problem of being so purely "chaotic" (in the GW sense) that he's completely dimensionless and boring as a character, but he absolutely does- he's a metal album cover that you're repeatedly told is "badass" with nothing to back it up, in a setting with a bunch of characters who have personality and are shown to have done cool/meaningful things, who then stomps all over nearly all of those better characters in a fit of super-obvious favoritism and bad writing

it would be difficult to come up with a better recipe for making people hate a character and it's pretty much the most GW thing ever

LGD fucked around with this message at 00:43 on Jun 8, 2016

Whorelord
May 1, 2013

Jump into the well...

imo it was fine for games workshop to up how well chaos did tbh otherwise the worldwide campaign would've been even more lame

"lol yeah the bad guys did nothing, good wins in this setting known for being hilariously grim"

Ham Sandwiches
Jul 7, 2000

Whorelord posted:

imo it was fine for games workshop to up how well chaos did tbh otherwise the worldwide campaign would've been even more lame

"lol yeah the bad guys did nothing, good wins in this setting known for being hilariously grim"

Then why have a campaign where players can influence the outcome if you're going to cry about outcomes that aren't what you wanted?

Xae
Jan 19, 2005

Empire Secessionist army disappears with 5 loving crosbowman alive.

Comes back with a level 1 melee lord.

Who proceeds to kill the 300 man 5 unit garrison solo.

Is there a mod that cuts Lord armor and HP in half or something?

Whorelord
May 1, 2013

Jump into the well...

Rakthar posted:

Then why have a campaign where players can influence the outcome if you're going to cry about outcomes that aren't what you wanted?

because it half worked with the 40k one?

unwantedplatypus
Sep 6, 2012

Whorelord posted:

1) When literally nothing redeeming happens grimdarkness loses its punch. It's why I prefer the fantasy setting to 40k. 40k feels like it went too far up its own rear end.

2) Grimgor, orc warboss, beating the poo poo out of chaos's chosen warrior and putting an end to the chaos invasion is the most amazing thing.

3) Orcs aren't exactly "good guys"

terrorist ambulance
Nov 5, 2009
Wood elves are literally more bad rear end and scary than archaon. I really don't get how he's a "thing" other than gw is dumb.

Lord Koth
Jan 8, 2012

Whorelord posted:

because it half worked with the 40k one?

Storm of Chaos happened before 13th Black Crusade, so at least in theory lessons were learned. Alternatively they just got lucky.

And given that 5th(6th?) Edition Chaos was nowhere near the top of the heap powerwise in terms of Army Books, that GW somehow expected Chaos players to perform incredibly well against everyone else - including against the ludicrously overpowered High Elf book that had come out not too long before - is yet another blatant indicator of just how badly they both balanced and paid attention to their own game, even back then.

Triskelli
Sep 27, 2011

I AM A SKELETON
WITH VERY HIGH
STANDARDS

unwantedplatypus posted:

1) When literally nothing redeeming happens grimdarkness loses its punch. It's why I prefer the fantasy setting to 40k. 40k feels like it went too far up its own rear end.

2) Grimgor, orc warboss, beating the poo poo out of chaos's chosen warrior and putting an end to the chaos invasion is the most amazing thing.

3) Orcs aren't exactly "good guys"

No the best part is that Grimgor waltzed up to Archaon, asked Archaon if he thought he was tough, and kicked him in the balls like they were two assholes in a Walmart parking lot.

LGD
Sep 25, 2004

Whorelord posted:

there's really no way to defend how it was handled though, if you tell people you're going to let them dictate the narrative you've got to honor the spirit of that promise, not just disregard the results because they ran counter to how you had things scripted out ahead of time

putting yourself in a situation where a lopsided result in either direction would cause the event to suck or require you to ignore the results to keep the narrative going is a complete failure of planning and imagination on your part and a betrayal of your audience (and also it helps to have a good enough grasp on your game and its audience to have an idea of what the outcome is likely to be)

also traditional Warhammer was not grimdark in the same sense as 40k (obvious example: a continually declining Empire led by a silent corpse who has no real influence on anything done in his name vs. an Empire undergoing a renaissance and led by a young dynamic man who cultivates strong authority) and the "Chaos always wins lol" outlook has pretty consistently been associated with the worst creative output throughout the line's history

LGD fucked around with this message at 01:11 on Jun 8, 2016

The Lone Badger
Sep 24, 2007

Captain Beans posted:

In the tabletop game is there a leadership penalty for a lord being killed?

Or is the real "penalty" that units can no longer use the dead lords leadership?

Last edition I played, if the general died then every unit on the table had to make an immediate Panic test. This could be disastrous for low-leadership armies like goblins or skaven, less so for dwarves etc.

unwantedplatypus
Sep 6, 2012
Is anyone else hoping that CA just makes up some armies for the more neglected parts of the warhammer world? Ind, Cathay, Nippon, Atilla the hobgoblin

Triskelli
Sep 27, 2011

I AM A SKELETON
WITH VERY HIGH
STANDARDS

The Lone Badger posted:

Last edition I played, if the general died then every unit on the table had to make an immediate Panic test. This could be disastrous for low-leadership armies like goblins or skaven, less so for dwarves etc.

Hell in the case of the Dwarfs killing Thorgrim Grudgebearer made them fight even harder.

unwantedplatypus
Sep 6, 2012

Triskelli posted:

Hell in the case of the Dwarfs killing Thorgrim Grudgebearer made them fight even harder.

Duh, killing the high king is a grudgin' for sure.

The Lone Badger
Sep 24, 2007

LGD posted:

Also, one extra thing about Quarrelers- they're absolutely loving bonkers in siege assaults and you can clear walls simply by parking a line of them in range. Siege warfare isn't something that Dwarfs really have an issue with anyway, but you won't believe how brutal they actually are until you try it yourself. Note that this works way later than you'd naively expect- while they're not as good against armored foes as your other options, with upgrades they still output a very appreciable amount of AP damage just through sheer volume of fire, and not requiring direct line of effect gives them utility in any battle even when they don't have any squishy targets to massacre.

This is extremely true. I wouldn't even bother assaulting the walls until they were already empty because the Quarrellers shot everyone.

peer
Jan 17, 2004

this is not what I wanted
I noticed that the zombie dragon occasionally uses a noxious breath attack in melee (though I don't know if it has any special effect or is just a fancy attack animation). Does the chaos dragon breathe fire or anything cool?

Danann
Aug 4, 2013

It looks like Kholek's not the only one that ate their breakfast cereal. :stare:

1st_Panzer_Div.
May 11, 2005
Grimey Drawer

unwantedplatypus posted:

Is anyone else hoping that CA just makes up some armies for the more neglected parts of the warhammer world? Ind, Cathay, Nippon, Atilla the hobgoblin

No... pretty much just want the other 13 that they've promised, all with their own fleshed out stories and characters.

radmonger
Jun 6, 2011
Fun challenge for a custom match - a standard budget army versus 4 stacks of zombies, each led by a necromancer, on flat terrain with no use of the map edge. Typically ends up as 500 models versus 9000. The horde looks truly impressive.

For dwarves, this actually makes flame cannons nearly good, because when in melee the zombies end up clustered so close a single shot can kill 20.
Unlike other artillery, they can fire over a melee line without needing a flanking position.And unlike quarrelers, they don't run out of ammunition before half the zombies are dead.

Only problem is they do enough ap damage that when a stray shot inevitably hits your melee line in the back it will kill some. Which has a tendency to start a rout, and if the zombies ever get to your artillery, you are dead..

Eventual winning composition was a generic lord, 6 ironbreakers and 3 irondrakes. The ironbreakers can hold a line (nothing cheaper seems to be able to), the drakes can win a flank and then score a few thousand kills rolling up the line.

AtillatheBum
Oct 6, 2010

Justice ain't gonna dispense itself.
Can anyone savvy with Total War modding help me with a mod issue? I am playing with the Factions Unlocker mod on the steam workshop that lets you play a handful of other factions like Estalia and Tilea. It's pretty fun but one thing I don't like is that if you play the non-main faction it guts your unit roster. So for example as Estalia I can't build steamtanks, reiksguard, demigryphs, or any artillery other than mortars. I don't mind not being able to build the super high tier and Empire specific crap but not having anything makes some of the building chains and techs pretty useless. I was hoping someone could point me to some kind of resource I could use myself to add some of the options back in like great cannons and wizards other than fire ones. Or if anyone knows a mod that unlocks factions without gimping the tech tree I could always just use the honor system.

Rygar201
Jan 26, 2011
I AM A TERRIBLE PIECE OF SHIT.

Please Condescend to me like this again.

Oh yeah condescend to me ALL DAY condescend daddy.

Lord Koth posted:

Storm of Chaos happened before 13th Black Crusade, so at least in theory lessons were learned. Alternatively they just got lucky.

And given that 5th(6th?) Edition Chaos was nowhere near the top of the heap powerwise in terms of Army Books, that GW somehow expected Chaos players to perform incredibly well against everyone else - including against the ludicrously overpowered High Elf book that had come out not too long before - is yet another blatant indicator of just how badly they both balanced and paid attention to their own game, even back then.

The Sixth Edition High Elf Army Book was the trash book with such wonderful rules as Purity of Heart (randomly determine which of your fragile Elf heroes is worth 100 extra VPs for your opponent, at no benefit to you!) and Intrigue at Court (roll a D6, compare to the number of Lords and Heroes in your army. 1 is your Lord, and so on. The characters you roll is your general, regardless of Leadership! If you roll over GW generously let you pick). Nothing like your level 2 Wizard carrying the dispel scrolls suddenly becoming your general, and Pure of Heart. His leadership is tied for the lowest in the army with Spear Elfs, and now he's worth 200 extra points.

You're thinking of the amazing seventh edition book, which had to make up for this all this poo poo so people would buy High Elf models. Yes I am bitter about the sixth edition book, why do you ask?

Grondoth
Feb 18, 2011

Whorelord posted:

Nah, "chaos comes down from the north, gets shot by cannons" would've been fantastic, and set the stage for interesting and dynamic plot lines that didn't revolve around everyone being scared that a thing would come down from the north and kill them. Chaos isn't just a physical threat, it's a hole in reality that only hasn't turned the world into a gibbering mass of flesh and plasma is cause a buncha high elves are hangin' out in an isle outside of space and time continuing to cast a spell that drains off chaos energy. It's a far more insidious and interesting force than marauding assholes, and focusing on that coulda been nifty. Honestly, they could've blown up the world in so many other interesting ways than they did, and Archanon and the Storm of Chaos are a clear sign that GW didn't like the world they made anymore.

Lame Devil
Mar 21, 2013

Heroes of the Storm
Goon Tournament Champion

1st_Panzer_Div. posted:

No... pretty much just want the other 13 that they've promised, all with their own fleshed out stories and characters.

They promised 13 others? What are they?

Voyager I
Jun 29, 2012

This is how your posting feels.
🐥🐥🐥🐥🐥

Lame Devil posted:

Every army with a book in the Tabletop-that-was is going to be included over the course of the planned expansions. Bretonnia will become a full fledged playable faction, Wood Elves and maybe Beastmen will dwell in the impassable woods of Athel Loren, and others will have the grand campaign map expanded to accommodate them.

Expect naval battles or at least some more nuance the the nautical game in the expansion that adds High and Dark Elves.

Grondoth
Feb 18, 2011
I can't wait for IRONCLAD BATTLES

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

midge
Mar 15, 2004

World's finest snatch.

Voyager I posted:

Expect naval battles or at least some more nuance the the nautical game in the expansion that adds High and Dark Elves.

Personally, I'd rather the Man O War game in development doesn't suck. 90% chance it does right now based on hit rate of previous GW titles.

http://manowarcorsair.com/blog-timeline-right-sidebar/

I'd pay a lot of money for a basic, accurate translation of Necromunda to turn based strategy game. Gorkamorka too. Mordheim is loving hot trash.

Lame Devil posted:

For 8th edition, here are all the armies with actual books for them.

Wood Elves
Dwarfs
Dark Elves
Lizardmen
High Elves
Daemons of Chaos
Warriors of Chaos
The Empire
Vampire Counts
Ogre Kingdoms
Tomb Kings
Orcs & Goblins

In terms of actual armies represented by miniatures :

The Empire
    Dwarfs
    Bretonnia
    Lizardmen
    High Elves
    Wood Elves
    Dark Elves
    Aestyrion (Khaine/Tyrion's combined Dark and High Elf army from the Khaine End Times book)
    Host of the Phoenix King (Malekith's combined Dark, Wood, and High Elf army from the Khaine End Times book)
    Host of the Eternity King (Malekith's combined Dark, Wood, and High Elf army from the Khaine End Times book)
    Warriors of Chaos
    Daemons of Chaos
    Beastmen
    Legion of Chaos (Glottkin's combined Warriors, Daemons and Beastmen army from the Glotkin End Times book)
    Grand Legion of the Everchosen (Archaon's combined Warriors of Chaos, Daemons of Chaos, Skaven and Beastmen army from the Thankquol End Times book)
    Orcs & Goblins
    Skaven
    Vampire Counts
    Tomb Kings
    Undead Legions (Nagash's combined Tomb Kings and Vamprie Counts army from the Nagash End Times book)
    Ogre Kingdoms
    Chaos Dwarfs (Warhammer Forge)

midge fucked around with this message at 02:48 on Jun 8, 2016

• Locked thread