Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

ff16's plot would have been better if it was more 'anime', not less

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Fobby
Jun 28, 2023
Suikoden 2 was anime tropsey as all hell. That was most of the reason permabanned (?) allegedly-problematic poster Azure Horizon hated Nanami so much.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

The highlight of FF16 are the giant loving absurd anime kaiju fights so I feel like if anything it needs more of those.

Stexils
Jun 5, 2008

Fobby posted:

Suikoden 2 was anime tropsey as all hell. That was most of the reason permabanned (?) allegedly-problematic poster Azure Horizon hated Nanami so much.

wasnt that guy a rapist?

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

Fobby posted:

nanami is my favorite suikoden 2 character lol. well of the ones who get screentiem anyway

TheMightyBoops
Nov 1, 2016

The US release of Suikoden 2 if I remember right was so buggy they had to release a new version to disk on PS1 some time after launch.

So it’s actually authentic to the experience.

Sakurazuka
Jan 24, 2004

NANI?

I don't know if they ever released a new version in the US but they fixed some of the bugs for the EU version (that came out like two years later).

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

Stexils posted:

wasnt that guy a rapist?

he bragged about getting his straight friends nearly blackout drunk and then having anal sex with them so he could then call them gay and talked about 'straight guys often arent actually straight' yes

it owned because he didnt get banned for that post for like 2 months and people said calling him a rapist was homophobia

Stexils
Jun 5, 2008

i see. that does sound problematic.

Willo567
Feb 5, 2015

Cheating helped me fail the test and stay on the show.

Endorph posted:

ff16's plot would have been better if it was more 'anime', not less

ff16 honesty just looks bland. i played and I just couldn't enjoy like I did with the ff7 remake.

also the cacutars are ugly and generic in 16

TheMightyBoops
Nov 1, 2016

Sakurazuka posted:

I don't know if they ever released a new version in the US but they fixed some of the bugs for the EU version (that came out like two years later).

That’s what I’m thinking about I think.

TurnipFritter
Apr 21, 2010
10,000 POSTS ON TALKING TIME

A Suikoden game where the main character has no personality......

Janissary Hop
Sep 2, 2012

ImpAtom posted:

It absolute is, but the political stuff always goes hand-in-hand with the magical stuff. The True Runes are by definition at the center of the plot and drive huge chunks of the story, serving as combination symbols and WMDs, with larger than life individuals being given positions of power by having them.

Luc made a pretty good case in Suikoden 3 that all of history in the Suikoden universe is driven by the True Runes conflicting with eachother but everyone hated that along with other aspects of Suikoden 3 so they ignored the game ever happened.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Janissary Hop posted:

Luc made a pretty good case that all of history in the Suikoden universe is driven by the True Runes conflicting with eachother but everyone hated that so they ignored the game ever happened.

Honestly that's basically text in the first game and absolutely text in the second game where the Bright Shield and Black Sword are explicitly driving conflicts.

Fobby
Jun 28, 2023

Endorph posted:

he bragged about getting his straight friends nearly blackout drunk and then having anal sex with them so he could then call them gay and talked about 'straight guys often arent actually straight' yes

it owned because he didnt get banned for that post for like 2 months and people said calling him a rapist was homophobia

Stexils posted:

i see. that does sound problematic.

I had apparently missed some of the details on that that led to me incorrectly understating it. Guess that's the word association I'm going to get whenever somebody complains about Suikoden-level anime tropes ruining something from now on...

Don't get me wrong, though- there are definitely some anime tropes that ruin things for me.

mycot
Oct 23, 2014

"It's okay. There are other Terminators! Just give us this one!"
Hell Gem
I hate to be a stick in the mud but it's a little much to associate bad video game opinions with being a rapist and a graphic summary attached.

mycot fucked around with this message at 19:18 on Apr 22, 2024

Infinity Gaia
Feb 27, 2011

a storm is coming...

The nice thing about playing the new SaGa first instead of Eiyuden is that even if it's buggy it'd be impossible to tell one way or another. Alternatively the bugs will let me kill god with a chainsaw.

Snooze Cruise
Feb 16, 2013

hey look,
a post
stop saying tropes!!! you are an adult!!! say motif!!! it makes you sound like a pretentious rear end in a top hat but its better than sounding like a immature nerd who has too many opinions about marvel movies!!!!

Janissary Hop
Sep 2, 2012

Did Konami ever give a reason for stopping developing/publishing Suikoden games or is it all just wrapped up in their general retreat from gaming into gambling?

I said come in!
Jun 22, 2004

Janissary Hop posted:

Did Konami ever give a reason for stopping developing/publishing Suikoden games or is it all just wrapped up in their general retreat from gaming into gambling?

what happened to that remaster?

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Janissary Hop posted:

Did Konami ever give a reason for stopping developing/publishing Suikoden games or is it all just wrapped up in their general retreat from gaming into gambling.

The PS2 era lead to a significant rise in the production costs of JRPGs without a connected rise in audience, so that only a handful of big franchises could reliably make a profit. The addition of voice acting alone really started to stretch things and indie/digital distribution stuff hadn't really taken off either. There's a reason so many developers went to handheld in that era.

TheMightyBoops
Nov 1, 2016

I said come in! posted:

Coming in 2023. We promise.

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

Snooze Cruise posted:

stop saying tropes!!! you are an adult!!! say motif!!! it makes you sound like a pretentious rear end in a top hat but its better than sounding like a immature nerd who has too many opinions about marvel movies!!!!

tropes and motif arent really the same thing at all tho

Janissary Hop
Sep 2, 2012

I said come in! posted:

I was willing to swear that they would release it at the same time as Eiyuden just to be their usual petty selves but apparently they don't have it together enough to even do that.

babypolis
Nov 4, 2009

ImpAtom posted:

Honestly that's basically text in the first game and absolutely text in the second game where the Bright Shield and Black Sword are explicitly driving conflicts.

or the beast rune making luca even crazier and bloodthirsty

mycot
Oct 23, 2014

"It's okay. There are other Terminators! Just give us this one!"
Hell Gem
Cliche (noun) is probably more accurate but people react even more negatively to that. Archtype maybe.

Fobby
Jun 28, 2023

mycot posted:

I hate to be a stick in the mud but it's a little much to associate bad video game opinions with being a rapist and a graphic summary attached.

There's no explicit implications, of course. It's just going to pop up in my head the same way that guy already did when people talk about anime in Suikoden, but now it's worse.

Snooze Cruise
Feb 16, 2013

hey look,
a post

Endorph posted:

tropes and motif arent really the same thing at all tho

nah you can use them interchangeably

Snooze Cruise
Feb 16, 2013

hey look,
a post
some people use motif as reoccurring theme in an individual story, others use it as reoccurring elements throughout all stories

babypolis
Nov 4, 2009

or just say whatever seems good and dont be such a baby about words you dislike

Hogama
Sep 3, 2011
Huh, Skald finally has a launch date.
https://twitter.com/SkaldRpg/status/1782387820474069365
I remember hearing about it in 2018 but didn't really follow it much over the years.

Snooze Cruise
Feb 16, 2013

hey look,
a post

babypolis posted:

or just say whatever seems good and dont be such a baby about words you dislike

OK

Cuck!

I said come in!
Jun 22, 2004

Hogama posted:

Huh, Skald finally has a launch date.
https://twitter.com/SkaldRpg/status/1782387820474069365
I remember hearing about it in 2018 but didn't really follow it much over the years.

Ultima inspired?

Hogama
Sep 3, 2011

I said come in! posted:

Ultima inspired?
Yeah lead dev wanted to make something old-school like the Ultima, Bard’s Tale, Gold-Box and Magic Candle series.

Clarste
Apr 15, 2013

Just how many mistakes have you suffered on the way here?

An uncountable number, to be sure.
I don't remember a single thing about the fantasy politics of Suikoden 2, but I do remember that the villain was the evilest person ever and also unkillable because of his ability to shout really loud that he didn't want to die yet. This made him insanely popular among anyone who played the game.

Snooze Cruise
Feb 16, 2013

hey look,
a post
If you want like a serious answer why anime tropes in particularly is annoying I seen people on these forums refer from everything to like shouty sword guys to actual creepy poo poo as anime tropes. Like personally when there is a creep stuff in something I rather people just you know, use language that conveys that instead of just being like "well you see its very anime-y" which could mean a thousand things,which just dismisses the seriousness of bad stuff with the meaningless meme word.

Anyway the person with the username with baby in it called me a baby and I am so pissed...

Snooze Cruise fucked around with this message at 19:44 on Apr 22, 2024

Annath
Jan 11, 2009

Batatouille is a great and funny play on words for a video game creature and I love silly words like these
Clever Betty

Snooze Cruise posted:

I just got word that SaGa Emerald Beyond has zero anime tropes. Please tell your family and friends.

I mean I think he did play those games. But part of Suikoden's reputation is the political stuff yeah, and then nostalgia is also a factor at play. Its easy with distance to have a version of game in your head that doesn't actually match up with what that game was 1 to 1. Its like how you sometimes see people talk about Persona 4 being like this cool lgbt game because they haven't played it since they were a teen.

Persona 4 is awesome but I never really got much of a "this is an LGBT game" vibe from it.

I mean Kanji and Naoto's thing is kinda sorta "maybe gay is OK", except then you find out Naoto is a girl and the game basically implies Kanji was attracted to her "because girl vibes", not because he's gay/bi.

Snooze Cruise
Feb 16, 2013

hey look,
a post

Annath posted:

Persona 4 is awesome but I never really got much of a "this is an LGBT game" vibe from it.

I mean Kanji and Naoto's thing is kinda sorta "maybe gay is OK", except then you find out Naoto is a girl and the game basically implies Kanji was attracted to her "because girl vibes", not because he's gay/bi.

I mean yes I agree, the game does a weird thing of implying lgbt identify and swerving away from it. People play the game as teenagers and with distance the former sticks with them more than the later.

Kanos
Sep 6, 2006

was there a time when speedwagon didn't get trolled
I honestly can't wrap my head around someone not believing Suikoden games aren't always 100% reliant on "tropey anime nonsense" for their plot resolution, because every single one of them does. "And then True Rune Stuff Happened" is central to every single Suikoden game.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Annath
Jan 11, 2009

Batatouille is a great and funny play on words for a video game creature and I love silly words like these
Clever Betty

Snooze Cruise posted:

I mean yes I agree, the game does a weird thing of implying lgbt identify and swerving away from it. People play the game as teenagers and with distance the former sticks with them more than the later.

Still in my top 5 RPGs though. Probably in my top 5 games tbh. I enjoyed it way more than I enjoyed 3 or 5.