Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Powershift
Nov 23, 2009

I was gonna try gold metalizer plastidip >.>

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

MC Hawking
Apr 27, 2004

by VideoGames
Fun Shoe

MasonF posted:

It comes on whenever the clutch is engaged on the Supercharger, usually around 1/3-1/2 throttle.

Well, I'm selling the 850R to feed my Toyota addiction, if you know anyone in the market to buy it... :shepspends:

Thanks!

Tell me more about your 850R. Tell me ALL OF THE THINGS.

Nidhg00670000
Mar 26, 2010

We're in the pipe, five by five.
Grimey Drawer
Well, not today per se, but in the last week at least.

Inspection on the blue one. Passed. Bought it for $150 and it's now legal for one year, not bad.

Changed out the (second) ballast on the black one. I love how everything on the facelift 9-5 is harder to get at.

Christ my auto upload thing compressed the poo poo out of those pictures.

MrOnBicycle
Jan 18, 2008
Wait wat?
Hah, buying a $150 car in Sweden that actually works and (more importantly) actually passes inspection is quite a feat. Nice!

BlackMK4
Aug 23, 2006

wat.
Megamarm
Was hoping to get further than this today but I can't get the fuckin transmission back in solo so I will have to see if I can get a friend to stop by tomorrow.

171k mile clutch, worn right to the buttons. Got it before it scarred the pressure plate or flywheel. 6mm is the service limit, per Honda

New clutch

Cleaned this up after the pic and put a new pilot bearing, gonna run it, gently caress it. Really not in bad shape.

BlackMK4 fucked around with this message at 05:34 on Aug 21, 2018

randomidiot
May 12, 2006

by Fluffdaddy

(and can't post for 11 years!)

BlackMK4 posted:

Was hoping to get further than this today but I can't get the fuckin transmission back in solo so I will have to see if I can get a friend to stop by tomorrow.

171k mile clutch, worn right to the buttons. Got it before it scarred the pressure plate or flywheel. 6mm is the service limit, per Honda

For something that requires launching at RPMs that many people upshift at, that's damned impressive.

Arturia
Jan 24, 2017

Can't stop clicking circles
Just wondering if any of you had some ideas about this. I have a 2015 Genesis Coupe now as I had to sell my Corvette (dont daily 28 year old sports cars it's a bad idea) but my only issue with it is it lacks that aggressive, angled look the Corvette had.

Is there anything you all would reccomend to make a genesis coupe look more aggressive? So far the only thing that sticks out is the grill, but I dont know if I want to dremel out the center piece to replace it with mesh. So far the only stuff I've done to the outside of it is remove the badges and replace the Hyundai logos with Genesis logos. I also put some dark red-black wrap over the silver part of the front grill.

Powershift
Nov 23, 2009

Chaosfirev posted:

Just wondering if any of you had some ideas about this. I have a 2015 Genesis Coupe now as I had to sell my Corvette (dont daily 28 year old sports cars it's a bad idea) but my only issue with it is it lacks that aggressive, angled look the Corvette had.

Is there anything you all would reccomend to make a genesis coupe look more aggressive? So far the only thing that sticks out is the grill, but I dont know if I want to dremel out the center piece to replace it with mesh. So far the only stuff I've done to the outside of it is remove the badges and replace the Hyundai logos with Genesis logos. I also put some dark red-black wrap over the silver part of the front grill.

Lift kit and all terrains.

Arturia
Jan 24, 2017

Powershift posted:

Lift kit and all terrains.

Dont tempt me I like battle cars

Suburban Dad
Jan 10, 2007

Well what's attached to a leash that it made itself?
The punchline is the way that you've been fuckin' yourself

sell it and buy a Corvette.

Arturia
Jan 24, 2017

Larrymer posted:

I wish

EvilBeard
Apr 24, 2003

Big Q's House of Pancakes

Fun Shoe

Larrymer posted:

this dude knows what's up. Really, they're quite affordable in the C5 generation. You can get a Z06 for less than $15k in really good shape. I almost wish I'd got a Z06 instead of just getting a base convertible.

Arturia
Jan 24, 2017

EvilBeard posted:

this dude knows what's up. Really, they're quite affordable in the C5 generation. You can get a Z06 for less than $15k in really good shape. I almost wish I'd got a Z06 instead of just getting a base convertible.

I'm not a fan of the C5s, I plan on buying another 1990 Corvette in the near future but for now I'm sticking with the Genesis.

Arturia
Jan 24, 2017

http://imgur.com/a/EX2zBvM

I miss her :(

EvilBeard
Apr 24, 2003

Big Q's House of Pancakes

Fun Shoe

Chaosfirev posted:

I'm not a fan of the C5s, I plan on buying another 1990 Corvette in the near future but for now I'm sticking with the Genesis.

I really like the dependability and ease of maintenance on ls engines. I love the look of the C7, even if the comfort of he cabin isn't as good as the C5. Also, the C7 has the best blue paint.

Arturia
Jan 24, 2017

EvilBeard posted:

I really like the dependability and ease of maintenance on ls engines. I love the look of the C7, even if the comfort of he cabin isn't as good as the C5. Also, the C7 has the best blue paint.

Oh, I definitely agree on the dependability. I had to sell my 1990 because of maintenance costs and I'm not in a spot to own 2 cars at the moment. It's my favorite just because that was the Corvette that was new when I was growing up, I still have the poster I had on my wall as a kid and my Corvette hot wheels cars.

People keep telling me "well we all had that one fun car" and I have to keep telling people I WILL be getting another one as soon as I'm able to.

BlackMK4
Aug 23, 2006

wat.
Megamarm

Transmission is back in the car, I've got about three hours of work left to do.

1. Tighten down subframe bolts
2. Throw shifter back in
3. Tighten down header and throw cat back in
4. Reinstall alternator, intake, and catch can while I pray I didn't accidentally touch (and therefore break) the knock sensor
5. Reinstall driveshaft
6. Change diff fluid
7. Bleed clutch
8. Bleed brakes and install new pads
9. Reconnect steering rack
10. Add oil

Trackday Saturday, probably rushing it for a shakedown but whatever.

BlackMK4 fucked around with this message at 05:37 on Aug 22, 2018

MasonF
Aug 22, 2005

these bitches r kicking me?wow wook wookfuk u

MC Hawking posted:

Tell me more about your 850R. Tell me ALL OF THE THINGS.
Bought it as a daily (because turbo) and now I need to sell it to fund more mods for Toyotas.
Not a bad car, just need to sell some things. It has about 221k miles on it, still looks pretty good, and is drat quick for a 90's sedan. If I were to keep it I would probably lower it some more, put different wheels on, a better front mount intercooler, and swap a manual transmission into it.

Terrible Robot
Jul 2, 2010

FRIED CHICKEN
Slippery Tilde
Restored the headlights on the Camry. Huge improvement.

KakerMix
Apr 8, 2004

8.2 M.P.G.
:byetankie:

Having two of them means I get to pick and choose parts. Driver's side bolster always gets crushed, passenger side is always flawless. Solution: Take the passenger side seat from one and switch it with the driver's seat of the other! Unfortunately instead of just directly swapping the seats I had to pop out the staples, peel off the fabric, and swap the foam and fabric, re-staple on both seats. The seats themselves are identical in every way besides the way they mount to the car.

Driver seat

Passenger seat

The fabric, foam, shell, all the same. Now I have two excellent shape seats!

Seat Safety Switch
May 27, 2008

MY RELIGION IS THE SMALL BLOCK V8 AND COMMANDMENTS ONE THROUGH TEN ARE NEVER LIFT.

Pillbug

KakerMix posted:

Having two of them means I get to pick and choose parts. Driver's side bolster always gets crushed, passenger side is always flawless. Solution: Take the passenger side seat from one and switch it with the driver's seat of the other! Unfortunately instead of just directly swapping the seats I had to pop out the staples, peel off the fabric, and swap the foam and fabric, re-staple on both seats. The seats themselves are identical in every way besides the way they mount to the car.

Driver seat

Passenger seat

The fabric, foam, shell, all the same. Now I have two excellent shape seats!

So does this mean you're going to have a nice AZ-1 that you sell on and a ratty as poo poo AZ-1 that you punish relentlessly at rallycross? :getin:

The Door Frame
Dec 5, 2011

I don't know man everytime I go to the gym here there are like two huge dudes with raging high and tights snorting Nitro-tech off of each other's rock hard abs.

Seat Safety Switch posted:

So does this mean you're going to have a nice AZ-1 that you sellkeep forever and cherish and a ratty as poo poo AZ-1 that you punish relentlessly at rallycross? :getin:

I really want an AZ-1

The Door Frame fucked around with this message at 06:32 on Aug 23, 2018

KakerMix
Apr 8, 2004

8.2 M.P.G.
:byetankie:

Seat Safety Switch posted:

So does this mean you're going to have a nice AZ-1 that you sell on and a ratty as poo poo AZ-1 that you punish relentlessly at rallycross? :getin:

Selling the ratty one :v:

I'm into it for so little and it's worth so much that it would be silly to keep both. I can always take the nice one to autocross if I feel the need, they are like Miatas in their ability to take punishment and remain reliable.

I just got done swapping the intake from the ratty one along with the oil catch can. Now the one with the tuned ECU is back to stock intake :(

DJ Commie
Feb 29, 2004

Stupid drivers always breaking car, Gronk fix car...
If its ratty enough, I'd buy it for a track car!

TehRedWheelbarrow
Mar 16, 2011

Fan of Britches
uh same.

Wrar
Sep 9, 2002

Soiled Meat
I'm almost done putting the S14's rear suspension back together, but I can't find one of the lower shock eyelet bolt and washer. Argh.

Darchangel
Feb 12, 2009

Tell him about the blower!

Wrar posted:

I'm almost done putting the S14's rear suspension back together, but I can't find one of the lower shock eyelet bolt and washer. Argh.

They've rolled off to that groove between the driveway and yard.

Imperador do Brasil
Nov 18, 2005
Rotor-rific

Replaced the three mysteriously dim LEDs in the FXT dash. I had replaced every bulb with LEDs months ago but the three main bulbs that illuminated the tach and speedo were never bright. These are basic el cheapo amazon LEDs but man are they bright.

Arturia
Jan 24, 2017

Imperador do Brasil posted:

Replaced the three mysteriously dim LEDs in the FXT dash. I had replaced every bulb with LEDs months ago but the three main bulbs that illuminated the tach and speedo were never bright. These are basic el cheapo amazon LEDs but man are they bright.

That looks like the dash signaling equivalent to caps lock, I like it.

Autoexec.bat
Dec 29, 2012

Just one more level
Not all today but I got the trans put back together and ready to go back into the car. Completely resealed with new friction material. Everything looked to be in great shape other than the first largest set of friction rings were pretty worn down. A splined shaft fell out on me at one point. Here's hoping the diagram I had was accurate.

I tried to clean it but there was so much grime I ended up giving up. I filled the torque converter and reattached it to the flex-plate. It is held on by a massive 3 10mm bolts. I'll be attaching the trans to the engine when I can get some help getting it into position.

My replacement exhaust came in. I had to replace it since the old pipe's diameter is too small for the new downpipe. As a bonus the cat the PO added is getting taken back off since the car left the factory without one, likely was put on to pass emissions some time in the distant past. Also note how may times the old one has been patched.

Shaking the old muffler sounds like a can of rice, likely not a good sign.

Lord Ludikrous
Jun 7, 2008

Enjoy your tea...

Technically yesterday Started a second road trip to Germany, Austria and Switzerland so took my 320i up to 120mph on the autobahn.

My other half wouldn’t let me go any faster.

randomidiot
May 12, 2006

by Fluffdaddy

(and can't post for 11 years!)

Finally took my car to the DIY garage here.

Did an oil change and swapped a noisy wheel bearing, and the owner helped me figure out what was clunking after a pry bar didn't turn up anything loose in the suspension (turns out my front motor mount is pretty much gone). Time in to time out was an hour. Goddamn power tools make things a lot easier.

Chunjee
Oct 27, 2004

Been flushing the radiator slowly since Friday. I just got this Xterra and the previous owner seems to have been just running with straight water or something.

Empy #2:

Empty #3:

Today I finally got the P-HOAT radiator coolant in. I've never used anything but the green stuff before, I was expecting this to be red but my daughter and I were inordinately happy to find it was a friendly pink color.

Colostomy Bag
Jan 11, 2016

:lesnick: C-Bangin' it :lesnick:

So my kid who moved out earlier this year has a 95 Acura with apparently a B18C1 engine. I'm not up on my vtec poo poo, sorry.

Anyways I'm outside when he leaves after visiting us. I notice a drat a puddle of oil in the street. Got a hold of him, said you can't drive the car. He's like "yeah, the light came on and I'm dumping some oil in." Was a mile away. Told him to come back...let's take a look.

So he's futzing around (I tend to let my kids struggle a tad) and I say start the car. As soon as he does oil is pissing out from a flange/sensor from the camshaft area. Granted I'm not a Honda guy, so searching for the part was fun and figured out it was a vtec solenoid gasket.

Easy to replace. But holy hell, the kit was $30. Needed to be done now and fortunately Napa had one.

Funny thing is he drops one of the bolts into the grass. Thinks he can find it. Trip to the hardware store for a 59 cent bolt and off he goes.

Cripes, kids. But I think he learned a thing or two. And those gaskets are priced loving ridiculous. Could have been much much more worse if it let loose on the interstate.

Ansith
Nov 8, 2010

Elongated Baked Bean
Picked up a diff and tailshaft for the XC.

From an XG Falcon ute, 3.27:1 ratio disc brakes. Not Limited slip though, that'll come later. The important bit was the discs and the ratio (and getting rid of the 40 year old original diff, saying that thing is hosed is an understatement). To go with it a EBII - AU Falcon sedan tailshaft.

As a bit of background to this, this is pretty much just prepping the car for the Barra. The new motor would definitely kill the original diff, and I had no idea if the current tailshaft would fit. Did some research, found that either XG/XH or EBII/ED wagon Borg Warner diffs bolt straight up, but they changed to a flange from the yoke that is on the XC. Leaves two options, change to the earlier yoke which actually fits into the XG diff or change the tailshaft to one with the flange. The EBII - AU sedan tailshafts are the same length and have the same yoke that fits in the transmission (so that yoke fits Borg Warner transmissions, C4s, and 4 speed BTRs, probably a few others too). Master cylinder on XCs is the same for Disc/Drum and Disc/Disc, no issues there.

For the most part with the XG diff and that tailshaft to match it's a straight bolt in job. The only two things that need doing are the brake line (changed from imperial to metric somewhere inbetween models), and the handbrake cable. Both not hard issues to overcome.

With this swap I'll be doing a rear suspension rebuild with some king low leafs, I'll likely go for all superpro bushes, I think all the current rubber bushes in the rear are original. The brakes on the new diff obviously need a full rebuild too, so that's on the list along with a clean up and fresh paint.

Pretty sure this diff ratio behind the 250 crossflow will pull something like 3k rpm sitting at 100 on the highway. One more reason to swap motors asap.

Suburban Dad
Jan 10, 2007

Well what's attached to a leash that it made itself?
The punchline is the way that you've been fuckin' yourself

Colostomy Bag posted:

Funny thing is he drops one of the bolts into the grass. Thinks he can find it. Trip to the hardware store for a 59 cent bolt and off he goes.

I am still this kid. :v:

Usually it's in the engine bay and never hits the floor, though.

ExecuDork
Feb 25, 2007

We might be fucked, sir.
Fallen Rib

Colostomy Bag posted:

he drops one of the bolts into the grass.

Next time the lawn needs mowing, make him do it. With his own lawnmower.

Darchangel
Feb 12, 2009

Tell him about the blower!

Autoexec.bat posted:

Not all today but I got the trans put back together and ready to go back into the car. Completely resealed with new friction material. Everything looked to be in great shape other than the first largest set of friction rings were pretty worn down. A splined shaft fell out on me at one point. Here's hoping the diagram I had was accurate.

I tried to clean it but there was so much grime I ended up giving up. I filled the torque converter and reattached it to the flex-plate. It is held on by a massive 3 10mm bolts. I'll be attaching the trans to the engine when I can get some help getting it into position.

I don't know about you, but in my experience, the torque converter goes on the transmission first, so you can ensure that tit engages the pump correctly, then you bolt it to the flywheel when you mate up the transmission. That said, my experience is also with American RWD cars with automatics, so YMMV. Check your service manual.

chrisgt
Sep 6, 2011

:getin:

Darchangel posted:

I don't know about you, but in my experience, the torque converter goes on the transmission first, so you can ensure that tit engages the pump correctly, then you bolt it to the flywheel when you mate up the transmission. That said, my experience is also with American RWD cars with automatics, so YMMV. Check your service manual.

Ya, that's true of pretty much everything. You have a couple shafts to get lined up in a torque converter since there's a shaft for the pump drive, a shaft for the power take off, etc. A bunch of oil seals since the oil has to flow into the TQ and back out AND there has to be the pressure line for the lockup clutch. You really want to carefully seat it to the trans THEN install the engine or you risk not realizing something is incorrectly lined up and damaging the trans.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

BlackMK4
Aug 23, 2006

wat.
Megamarm
Seein this entirely too much for my own liking lately.
On the other hand, I got the transmission out of the car in under two hours from the time I jacked it up compared to like 8 hours last time. If I'd taken the header off it'd have taken about the same time, but been easier. I'll be pulling the header to put the new transmission in.

BlackMK4 fucked around with this message at 06:58 on Sep 1, 2018