Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

fishmech
Jul 16, 2006

by VideoGames
Salad Prong

Gutcruncher posted:

Creatures is partly owned by Nintendo, but game freak isn't owned by Nintendo whatsoever.

When you go through everything, Pokemon's like 33% owned by Nintendo these days. Used to be more.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

SIDS Vicious
Jan 1, 1970

fishmech posted:

When you go through everything, Pokemon's like 33% owned by Nintendo these days. Used to be more.

what I just read claimed they still have the copyright and trademark though

fishmech
Jul 16, 2006

by VideoGames
Salad Prong

Celluloid Sam posted:

what I just read claimed they still have the copyright and trademark though

The Pokemon Company owns that, like the Pokemon Company was explicitly set up to own all that sort of stuff to make things easier.

Nintendo gets way more favorable licensing of them than anyone else does, but they gave up the direct rights in the late 90s to make all the accounting/legal stuff simpler.

SIDS Vicious
Jan 1, 1970

fishmech posted:

The Pokemon Company owns that, like the Pokemon Company was explicitly set up to own all that sort of stuff to make things easier.

Nintendo gets way more favorable licensing of them than anyone else does, but they gave up the direct rights in the late 90s to make all the accounting/legal stuff simpler.

gosh they are dumb

Subjunctive
Sep 12, 2006

✨sparkle and shine✨

Celluloid Sam posted:

who do you think owns the pokemon company dude

Did you not see the whole thing about Nintendo having to tell investors it wasn't making money off pokego? Those rights have been moved elsewhere, and Nintendo has a minority stake.

E: hey, look, another page

uninverted
Nov 10, 2011
I want to meet whoever was slick enough to bamboozle nintendo out of 66% of pokemon.

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS

uninverted posted:

I want to meet whoever was slick enough to bamboozle nintendo out of 66% of pokemon.

KiteAuraan
Aug 5, 2014

JER GEDDA FERDA RADDA ARA!

Celluloid Sam posted:

gosh they are dumb

They made the Virtual Boy, this has been known for some time.

Fauxtool
Oct 21, 2008

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
someone thought the wii u was a good idea

SpaceGoatFarts
Jan 5, 2010

sic transit gloria mundi

Nap Ghost

Otisburg posted:

https://www.indiegogo.com/projects/supermeat-real-meat-without-harming-animals-food-technology#/

cultured muscle tissue on a flex funding IGG campaign, with a claim of no less than ending world hunger

Original idea do not steal

BattleMaster
Aug 14, 2000

The most shameful burger; fried in a pan instead of grilled and then eaten with a knife and fork alongside a pair of sad untoasted buns.

laserghost
Feb 12, 2014

trust me, I'm a cat.

It's a critical deconstruction of the burger.

BattleMaster
Aug 14, 2000

being prepared by a guy in a rented chef outfit who clearly doesn't know how to prepare a good burger and being criticized by people who don't understand why that might be a problem

BattleMaster
Aug 14, 2000

literally shaking from anger right now that this was allowed on TV

Germstore
Oct 17, 2012

A Serious Candidate For a Serious Time
actually pan fried is the good and proper way to prepare a burger

BattleMaster
Aug 14, 2000

Germstore posted:

actually pan fried is the good and proper way to prepare a burger

please don't troll me

Germstore
Oct 17, 2012

the only advantage of grilled is that you can prepare like twenty burgers at once

fishmech
Jul 16, 2006

by VideoGames
Salad Prong

uninverted posted:

This guy.

Light Gun Man
Oct 17, 2009

toEjaM iS oN
vaCatioN

Lipstick Apathy

Otisburg posted:

https://www.indiegogo.com/projects/supermeat-real-meat-without-harming-animals-food-technology#/

cultured muscle tissue on a flex funding IGG campaign, with a claim of no less than ending world hunger

It's really pissing me off that they seem to have the goal (according to their graphics) of vat-growing loving chicken legs with a bone in them. Dude if you are growing meat why the gently caress even gently caress around with bones at all?

Munchables
Feb 8, 2015

Ask/tell me about legal cannibalism

Light Gun Man posted:

It's really pissing me off that they seem to have the goal (according to their graphics) of vat-growing loving chicken legs with a bone in them. Dude if you are growing meat why the gently caress even gently caress around with bones at all?

Yeah, just do it like the chicken wings episode of Squidbillies.

Germstore
Oct 17, 2012

Does it explicitly say they'd grow it with bones, because that's a much harder problem. If it's just the graphics I would assume it's only a stylistic choice and they have no intention of growing bone. I don't know if they're scamming or stupid but cultured meat is still very immature. This seems almost as bad as someone seeing that carbon nanotubes can be grown in a lab and kickstarting a space elevator.

Light Gun Man
Oct 17, 2009

toEjaM iS oN
vaCatioN

Lipstick Apathy

Germstore posted:

Does it explicitly say they'd grow it with bones, because that's a much harder problem. If it's just the graphics I would assume it's only a stylistic choice and they have no intention of growing bone. I don't know if they're scamming or stupid but cultured meat is still very immature. This seems almost as bad as someone seeing that carbon nanotubes can be grown in a lab and kickstarting a space elevator.

Yeah I assume it's just for a simple graphic, but it makes it more muddled and weird. They should just say they can make infinite beef jerky or something and people would get on board.

klafbang
Nov 18, 2009
Clapping Larry
Yeah, it's a scam. But a pretty well-done (ha!) one.

They claim to have a Yaakov Nahmias leading their research. Googling the guy, he's actually real, has a Wikipedia page, and performs related research. They make the mistake of mentioning he got two ERC grants.

Those are real EU research grants, and he really got one. The grants come in three versions, starting, consolidator, and advanced grants. Thing is, you can only ever get one grant of each category, and his web-page only mentions the starting grant. That is, there's no chance in hell he's got more than one, though he is listed on the ERC starting grant committee.

The starting grant is for up to €1.5 mio, so he'd have no need for any IGG scam-money.

PathAsc
Nov 15, 2011

Hail SS-18 Satan may he cleanse us with nuclear fire

PISS TAPE IS REAL

Is it time to kickstart shmeat now?

Great Rumbler
Jan 30, 2013

For I am a dog, you see.

fishmech posted:

It was NoA's lawyers that ordered that Pokemon fangame be pulled down a few weeks, though.

Fauxtool
Oct 21, 2008

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Light Gun Man posted:

why do they need to grow the part that people dont eat? just have reusable plastic bone inserts

Doggles
Apr 22, 2007

Fauxtool posted:

why do they need to grow the part that people dont eat? just have reusable plastic bone inserts

*SuperMeat™ is only compatible with Chik N-Bone™ brand reusable plastic bone inserts.

Gutcruncher
Apr 16, 2005

Go home and be a family man!

Doggles posted:

*SuperMeat™ is only compatible with Chik N-Bone™ brand reusable plastic bone inserts.

Let's be real here. It won't be reusable. The fact that it's not reusable is better for he environment because

Stinky_Pete
Aug 16, 2015

Stinkier than your average bear
Lipstick Apathy
Something about flavor, is why people want bones, if they're doing bones

I don't get it, because more bone in my meat equals less to chew on and swallow and make my belly full

Germstore
Oct 17, 2012

Bones do contribute to flavor, but actual cultured meat is tiny paper-thin strips. Any discussion of bones is like the Wright Brothers worrying about in flight movies.

Lawrence Gilchrist
Mar 31, 2010

kickstarter posted:

StoneTether Final Update
Posted by Del Marth LLC (Creator)
For backers only
Hello Everyone,
First of all, we cannot tell you how much this project means to us and especially all of your support. We could not have attempted the impossible without all of you. In our previous update, we have provided our plans for an attempt to keep the project alive during our search for possible investors.
Unfortunately that search has not been fruitful. Due to the increased monthly costs without revenue and no current financial means to take our project to the final stages of manufacturing and delivery, we are reluctantly bringing this project to a close.
Please understand there were no intentions of not coming through for all of you. We know that a failed KS project is never a good feeling. Please know that we feel your frustration and are also very upset to not see this clearly superior product not make it into your hands.
We know that there are some that feel our intentions were less than sincere. To help clear this up and to help our supportive backers understand our situation, we would like you to know that we had every intention of bringing StoneTether to the rest of you and the world. We prolonged this effort through much additional cost and strife. We were not willing to give up on our supporters and believed in this project a great deal. The founder had even injected nearly the entire proceeds of his family's house sale to support the completion of the project. For those implying KS funds were used to buy a new house, that is just simply not true. No house was purchased since the sale of their initial house. It's hard to buy a house without the financial means to. (We know the majority do not think this, but we do not want to be misrepresented)
Why did we go this far you might ask? The answer is that we did not want to let our supporters down and really believed in what we were creating.
All of you are amazing and you have helped us get a product through development that would have changed the face of the tracking industry. We cannot thank you enough for having faith in StoneTether. We wish you all well and please accept our most sincere apologies for ending this project. Thank you again for all of your support.
Here are the expenses we faced during the calendar Year of 2015. The costs for development and time overtook the StoneTether project.

Thank you again for all of your support,
The StoneTether Team

another bluetooth tracker project ends in failure

Munchables
Feb 8, 2015

Ask/tell me about legal cannibalism

Lawrence Gilchrist posted:

another bluetooth tracker project ends in failure

Does it track rocks or something? Like maybe a fake rock that you hide in a bunch of rocks and then it records erosion? StoneTether?

yoloer420
May 19, 2006
Bluetooth trackers are incredibly simple. I purchased a $30 devkit (three tags!) and got it running with modified reference code in about an hour.

Lawrence Gilchrist
Mar 31, 2010

yoloer420 posted:

Bluetooth trackers are incredibly simple. I purchased a $30 devkit (three tags!) and got it running with modified reference code in about an hour.

i was too lazy to clutter the thread with images but their charts explaining where the money went might give you a chuckle

Redrum and Coke
Feb 25, 2006

wAstIng 10 bUcks ON an aVaTar iS StUpid

yoloer420 posted:

What exactly does it do?

Tiberius Thyben
Feb 7, 2013

Gone Phishing

Non Serviam posted:

What exactly does it do?

That's the beauty of it! It doesn't do anything!

DoctorTristan
Mar 11, 2006

I would look up into your lifeless eyes and wave, like this. Can you and your associates arrange that for me, Mr. Morden?

i was too lazy to clutter the thread with images but their charts explaining where the money went might give you a chuckle

Care to share? The post is backers-only.

Harveygod
Jan 4, 2014

YEEAAH HEH HEH HEEEHH

YOU KNOW WHAT I'M SAYIN

THIS TRASH WAR AIN'T GONNA SOLVE ITSELF YA KNOW

:justpost:

Never heard of this project, but I'm reading the comments now.

quote:

If I lived closer I'd knock on their doors and ask for our refunds. Hoping they have fun getting bum sex in prison.

quote:

Here is 6,927th angry baker.
:fork:

:munch:

quote:

This is a joke. Best Buy has Tile which is the same thing. Good thing these thieves didn't think of that. Pathetic.
Except that he gave them money without checking, either.

Harveygod has a new favorite as of 22:29 on Aug 23, 2016

ShinyBirdTeeth
Nov 7, 2011

sparkle sparkle sparkle
You put the tracker on a thing and then you can use your phone to tell which direction the thing is in or maybe make the tracker go *beep beep beep.* A technology you may recognize from those disks they give you at Outback Steakhouse when it gets real busy.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

unpacked robinhood
Feb 18, 2013

by Fluffdaddy
StoneTether could have tried to get a grant from like Saudi Arabia or Malaysia based on their name only.
No angry bakers this way