Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

drrockso20
May 6, 2013

Has Not Actually Done Cocaine
I have a feeling IBO will probably mostly be Season 1 only in it's SRW usage*, as Season 2 is just kinda awkward in how it would be able to fit

*well at least in games that would actually use it's plot instead of just being post series

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Darth Walrus
Feb 13, 2012
If they do bring in S2, it would be interesting to see if and how Gaelio and Julietta are recruitable.

Ethiser
Dec 31, 2011

Season 2 seems pretty easy to do. The antagonists aren't really heinous individuals and represent the government. You just have them resolve their conflict and team up with the main cast to take down the truly evil enemies at the end of the game, like how the Titans and Neo Zeon characters joined in V. There are plenty of SRW games that have you fighting against the world government for large parts of the game. IBO would actually mesh really well with 00 if they wanted to put them in the same game.

HitTheTargets
Mar 3, 2006

I came here to laugh at you.

drrockso20 posted:

I have a feeling IBO will probably mostly be Season 1 only in it's SRW usage*, as Season 2 is just kinda awkward in how it would be able to fit

*well at least in games that would actually use it's plot instead of just being post series

Post plot IBO would be an odd duck. But there're games where Zeta is post plot and Four and Kamille are alive & kickin'.

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

HitTheTargets posted:

Post plot IBO would be an odd duck. But there're games where Zeta is post plot and Four and Kamille are alive & kickin'.

It absolutely wouldn't be post-plot IBO. All the big-ticket characters are very dead.

Tae
Oct 24, 2010

Hello? Can you hear me? ...Perhaps if I shout? AAAAAAAAAH!
MX was also post G Gundam.

maninthesuit
Jul 13, 2017

Neddy Seagoon posted:

It absolutely wouldn't be post-plot IBO. All the big-ticket characters are very dead.

Unless Mika, Orga and Akihiro were only mostly dead, and got rushed to one of IBO's healing pods off-screen by Rustal's subordinates for some plan of his. (more Ein-style brains?)
There are also other options that require shifting the plot just a little. For example, have Orga initiate plan 'screw this, I quit' just a bit earlier, and don't have the whole gang stand around in the street with their trademark jackets.

Raxivace
Sep 9, 2014

There’s always the good old got saved by people from other series card too.

Like yeah, sure, Banjo Haran came in and fought off Rustal’s people and saved Mika and co., why not.

Darth Walrus
Feb 13, 2012
Only real challenge is what they do with the walking disaster area that is McGillis.

Zore
Sep 21, 2010
willfully illiterate, aggressively miserable sourpuss whose sole raison d’etre is to put other people down for liking the wrong things

Neddy Seagoon posted:

Thats never stopped them before. Everyone in Dunbine is super dead and it was still post series in X

chiasaur11
Oct 22, 2012

Neddy Seagoon posted:

Well, Gaelio's still alive... and never piloting again.

So, yeah. That would be awkward. Somehow, I think people who'd be excited for IBO in SRW would want more pilots than just Julieta and Eugene (Possibly with Quattro shades.)

But yeah. IBO isn't set up for a post-plot inclusion. Maybe between seasons 1 and 2, but not post series.

Also, traditionally if someone's going to save characters from their set fates, we don't deserve to know his name.

Darth Walrus
Feb 13, 2012

chiasaur11 posted:

Well, Gaelio's still alive... and never piloting again.

So, yeah. That would be awkward. Somehow, I think people who'd be excited for IBO in SRW would want more pilots than just Julieta and Eugene (Possibly with Quattro shades.)

But yeah. IBO isn't set up for a post-plot inclusion. Maybe between seasons 1 and 2, but not post series.

Also, traditionally if someone's going to save characters from their set fates, we don't deserve to know his name.

Gaelio can still pilot, assuming he's only temporarily wheelchair-bound while he recovers from surgery. He'll just have to stick to manual controls.

drrockso20
May 6, 2013

Has Not Actually Done Cocaine
Hence why I figure they'll mostly stick with Season 1, it will be a lot easier to work with than using Season 2 or going post series

Also just realized IBO would sync up pretty well with G Gundam in a SRW context

BattleMaster
Aug 14, 2000

If SRW managed to cover Cross Ange I think they can cover anything

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

BattleMaster posted:

If SRW managed to cover Cross Ange I think they can cover anything

:barf:

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?

drrockso20 posted:

Hence why I figure they'll mostly stick with Season 1, it will be a lot easier to work with than using Season 2 or going post series

Also just realized IBO would sync up pretty well with G Gundam in a SRW context

"This hand if mine burns with an awesome POW-" *gets clubbed in the face with a forty ton slab of metal*

Pureauthor
Jul 8, 2010

ASK ME ABOUT KISSING A GHOST
You guys realize we're talking about a franchise that regularly does post-plot inclusions for Zambot and Dunbine, right

AtheistMantis
Oct 5, 2014

Pureauthor posted:

You guys realize we're talking about a franchise that regularly does post-plot inclusions for Zambot and Dunbine, right

How about post plot Ideon?

Ethiser
Dec 31, 2011

AtheistMantis posted:

How about post plot Ideon?

Technically every show could be post plot Ideon.

ninjewtsu
Oct 9, 2012

Did there used to be a thread for srw? Seeing the chat in here made me want to go look at its op to see if I'm more willing to jump through whatever hoops to play it now than I was before, but I can't find it

Ethiser
Dec 31, 2011

There is an active one and a new game is coming out in two months. They make them in English now so all you have to do is order a copy or make a Singapore PSN account.

https://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3875338

Caphi
Jan 6, 2012

INCREDIBLE

ninjewtsu posted:

Did there used to be a thread for srw? Seeing the chat in here made me want to go look at its op to see if I'm more willing to jump through whatever hoops to play it now than I was before, but I can't find it

It's here, and the hoops for new releases are now regular importing hoops from Singapore for three years and counting.

ninjewtsu
Oct 9, 2012

If I don't have a ps4, are the older fan translated ones really janky?

chiasaur11
Oct 22, 2012

ninjewtsu posted:

Well, the new one this year is going to be for Switch as well, so there's that.

I've got pretty limited experience with the older ones, but there's definitely better and worse in regards to jank. Someone else would be more useful than I am, but I'm pretty sure at least some of them hold up okay.

MonsieurChoc
Oct 12, 2013

Every species can smell its own extinction.

ninjewtsu posted:

Alpha Gaiden is both really janky and really good.

J is alright, although it gets really repetitive due to eternal reinforcements.

WeedlordGoku69
Feb 12, 2015

by Cyrano4747
Alpha Gaiden didn't strike me as janky at all by PS1 RPG standards when I played it, but then, my standard for PS1 RPG jank is Final Fantasy Tactics, a game that is charitably speaking totally loving borked.

e: Also, regarding post-series IBO, there's... really no reason they couldn't redo the ending and make it an everybody-lives ending? Like, that's not really outside SRW's wheelhouse, they gently caress with plots all the time.

Darth Walrus
Feb 13, 2012

LORD OF BOOTY posted:

Alpha Gaiden didn't strike me as janky at all by PS1 RPG standards when I played it, but then, my standard for PS1 RPG jank is Final Fantasy Tactics, a game that is charitably speaking totally loving borked.

e: Also, regarding post-series IBO, there's... really no reason they couldn't redo the ending and make it an everybody-lives ending? Like, that's not really outside SRW's wheelhouse, they gently caress with plots all the time.

McGillis coming out alive might be a little challenging, though.

WeedlordGoku69
Feb 12, 2015

by Cyrano4747
I mean, even hard-left-turning away from the entire second season and having some kind of alternate S2 happen wouldn't be that weird for SRW.

Blaze Dragon
Aug 28, 2013
LOWTAX'S SPINE FUND

They can have IBO in the center of the plot and have the good ending/bad ending plot branch depend on Tekkadan not following their stupidity, like Z2 with Code Geass.

And then next game is post-plot but everyone's fine. Until the writers forget which plot branch they were following. Again.

Kurieg
Jul 19, 2012

RIP Lutri: 5/19/20-4/2/20
:blizz::gamefreak:
Just have Orga not fall for the obvious King of Mars ploy, and have Iok quietly murdered off screen between seasons one and two.

chiasaur11
Oct 22, 2012

Kurieg posted:

Just have Orga not fall for the obvious King of Mars ploy, and have Iok quietly murdered off screen between seasons one and two.

He doesn't even have to be murdered.

Julieta just happened to be involved with the game's main plot at the time, and while she was away, Iok drowned in a goldfish bowl.

Kurieg
Jul 19, 2012

I'm finally watching through Season 2 of IBO rather than just reading about it, and it's amazing how utterly, completely, and consistently he fucks up the Hamshael thing. Every Time Tekkadan and McGillis almost have it in hand he ploinks the thing with his railgun and runs away screaming about the spirit of his men.

chiasaur11
Oct 22, 2012

Kurieg posted:

I'm finally watching through Season 2 of IBO rather than just reading about it, and it's amazing how utterly, completely, and consistently he fucks up the Hamshael thing. Every Time Tekkadan and McGillis almost have it in hand he ploinks the thing with his railgun and runs away screaming about the spirit of his men.

Yep!

I felt like Vidar wasn't contributing the first time I watched through, but on a rewatch, I saw that his job for when McGillis and Julieta were attacking was "Watch Iok".

The fact he actually managed to keep Iok from further screwing things up is the best argument I've seen that he's the true hero of season 2.

Kurieg
Jul 19, 2012

Well, Truthfully if Mikazuki was having a tough time with his AV system and the Hamshael. I imagine Vidar wouldn't have faired much better.

Monaghan
Dec 29, 2006

Iok's death rules because his stupid habit of running in finally bites him in the rear end. He could have just had his men just gang up and waste Akhiro, but he decides, yet again, to charge in solo while ignoring his men's objections. If he had gone with reinforcements he would have lived, but his idiotic pride finally does him in.

Raxivace
Sep 9, 2014

Tbh I feel like it would have been more interesting for Iok, dumbass that he was, to live. The catharsis his death is meant to give just seems at odds with the what should probably be a much more bitter story.

Kurieg
Jul 19, 2012

Raxivace posted:

Tbh I feel like it would have been more interesting for Iok, dumbass that he was, to live. The catharsis his death is meant to give just seems at odds with the what should probably be a much more bitter story.

It's also part of the whole "Old guard of Gjallarhorn getting killed off for their own stupidity so that Rustal can reform it, even though he's a rat bastard." thing.

Kingtheninja
Jul 29, 2004

"You're the best looking guy here."
It's been a while since I've had to do it, but can I use my US card info to buy the digital game on a Singapore account?

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

Raxivace posted:

Not really; Iok's literally run out of people who would've been willing to sacrifice themselves for him, and finally gets what's coming to him.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Darth Walrus
Feb 13, 2012

Kurieg posted:

Well, Truthfully if Mikazuki was having a tough time with his AV system and the Hamshael. I imagine Vidar wouldn't have faired much better.

There are certain later revelations that suggest Vidar might actually have had better luck with the Hashmal than Mika.