Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

The Colonel
Jun 8, 2013

I commute by bike!
arise is a game i probably wouldn't think much of in a wider lineup of tales games. but instead they released one of my favorite games in the series in spite of its mountain of compromises, got me excited for the next several years to see what they could do with a tales game that's freed from the awful ps3 era engine they were using and with a proper budget and dev time, and put out a game that has literally absolutely nothing of what i like about tales and the only word we've gotten on anything new in the series was a terrible 30 dollar dlc even fans of arise did not seem to like, meanwhile the newest tales game that actually did have a premise and characters i was into was a mobage i hated the gameplay of that crapped itself out halfway through. so i am, mildly bitterer, than if it was just like tales of vesperia where there's a lot of stuff it does i don't like but it's also just one game out of an ocean of tales games where all the others are providing the stuff i like so it doesn't really matter. if bamco was willing to put out any word, literally any word at all, in any form, that they're making a new tales game and it's something closer to the sensibilities of the tales games i like, i'd be less frustrated but this has not happened

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Infinity Gaia
Feb 27, 2011

a storm is coming...

(Eiyuden) ... Huh. I dunno if it was just this one boss or all bosses or what but... Mio just landed a Iai Strike instakill against the annoying as hell countering plant boss in the forest, when you're taking the little tree guy back home. On that note, I'm surprised by people claiming this game is easy, are they playing on Normal? Because it's been a fairly decent challenge on Hard. Not like, ultra difficult or anything but everything puts up a decent level of resistance.

The Colonel
Jun 8, 2013

I commute by bike!
it's a pretty strong contrast to where i stand on final fantasy, where xvi wasn't really my bag but every ff game is entirely different from the last one anyway and square enix isn't going to just go quiet on the franchise entirely for several years straight, so there's no reason to think the next one won't happen and won't interest me more

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

bamco just has no idea what theyre doing with tales and seems mildly scared and confused that arise sold well so they didnt have an excuse to kill the series

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

TheMightyBoops posted:

In Gundam G Cross Rays I finally came across a really good SRPG map. Most maps I’ve played (I did all the G Wing and its spin off levels so far) are sort of just power fantasy adjacent because that’s sort of what a Gundam is, and you have like 9 Gundam on a map on your side against like a bunch of fodder and then 3 or so enemy Gundams.

Gundam Seed though as a series is a return to form where it has a White Base stand in that you need to protect. Normally I’d be annoyed by a “protect x thing for x turns map” but because of how strong your units are compared to enemy units it became a fun game of “you can take out like 20 units a turn but more will spawn in and hopefully one doesn’t slip though the cracks.”

I’ve been on a kick of srpg’s and this game actually ended up standing out more than I thought it would.

A way I found to make Cross Rays more fun is to give your pilots low-level units from the series they are in. So you give them all Daggers or GINNs in SEED or Flags in 00 or whatever. That way you get a sense of power progression for each story and then you can bench them near the end and use them for evolution/fusion/etc for when you do the harder modes.

TheMightyBoops
Nov 1, 2016

ImpAtom posted:

A way I found to make Cross Rays more fun is to give your pilots low-level units from the series they are in. So you give them all Daggers or GINNs in SEED or Flags in 00 or whatever. That way you get a sense of power progression for each story and then you can bench them near the end and use them for evolution/fusion/etc for when you do the harder modes.

Once the story goes to earth in SEED I did actually put some of my pilots in Sky Graspers because I love the designs for the planes in Seed. Maybe I will do some of this.

Idk how long I intend to spend playing Cross Rays, but I assumed I’d be over it by now.

grieving for Gandalf
Apr 22, 2008

in emerald beyond, is the listed Power of a move reflective of its base power or after whatever calculation has been made with the character's relevant stat

Infinity Gaia
Feb 27, 2011

a storm is coming...

I can't believe this line is completely optional if you didn't bring Mio along. Truly sad that some people might not get it. She says it so completely deadpan too.

Phantasium
Dec 27, 2012

The Colonel posted:

arise is a game i probably wouldn't think much of in a wider lineup of tales games. but instead they released one of my favorite games in the series in spite of its mountain of compromises, got me excited for the next several years to see what they could do with a tales game that's freed from the awful ps3 era engine they were using and with a proper budget and dev time, and put out a game that has literally absolutely nothing of what i like about tales and the only word we've gotten on anything new in the series was a terrible 30 dollar dlc even fans of arise did not seem to like, meanwhile the newest tales game that actually did have a premise and characters i was into was a mobage i hated the gameplay of that crapped itself out halfway through. so i am, mildly bitterer, than if it was just like tales of vesperia where there's a lot of stuff it does i don't like but it's also just one game out of an ocean of tales games where all the others are providing the stuff i like so it doesn't really matter. if bamco was willing to put out any word, literally any word at all, in any form, that they're making a new tales game and it's something closer to the sensibilities of the tales games i like, i'd be less frustrated but this has not happened

Crestoria got fuckin' robbed, one of the more interesting premises I've seen from the series just sent out to die with the rest of the mobile Tales trash.

Snake Maze
Jul 13, 2016

3.85 Billion years ago
  • Having seen the explosion on the moon, the Devil comes to Venus

grieving for Gandalf posted:

in emerald beyond, is the listed Power of a move reflective of its base power or after whatever calculation has been made with the character's relevant stat

I think base power, since the number doesn't change between characters with different stats, or when removing and equipping gear that boosts stats.

Meowywitch
Jan 14, 2010

Fight for all that is beautiful in the world

Arise is so different feeling I don't buy it was originally a tales game

dmboogie
Oct 4, 2013

Meowywitch posted:

good instincts, it was confirmed in an interview that it wasn’t lmao

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

Meowywitch posted:

yea it literally wasnt, they outright said it was added on fairly late into the games dev

this is probably also why skits are the way they are. not just the presentation style but them mostly being like, explanations of things in the world rather than tailor made conversations or things that actually add to the narrative

Radia
Jul 14, 2021

And someday, together.. We'll shine.
skits are like second to the pre/in/post battle banter, the constant japes between party members is what adds so much to the charm

Meowywitch
Jan 14, 2010

well it's a hell of a lot better of a Not Real Tales game than Luminaria was. I did finish Arise.

Caphi
Jan 6, 2012

INCREDIBLE
I didn't, not because I hated playing it but because it decided I needed to stop playing it for several hours to sit and listen to back to back segments of "did you know the slavers are people, with families" and "we're all the same inside (you and the slavers, I mean)" and the remaining momentum just died entirely.

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

i can get what arise was going for (the oppressors are often forced into that circumstance by the people above them and arent completely inhuman) but the issue is that they tried to humanize the people who actually were at the top of the pile by making a giant evil planet or w/e, instead of focusing on like, generic citizens who were benefitting from that oppression without conscious participation/realization due to the actions of the people doing the oppressing.

Meowywitch
Jan 14, 2010

The game completely deflates after the Crown Contest plotline resolves

Caphi
Jan 6, 2012

INCREDIBLE

Endorph posted:

i can get what arise was going for (the oppressors are often forced into that circumstance by the people above them and arent completely inhuman) but the issue is that they tried to humanize the people who actually were at the top of the pile by making a giant evil planet or w/e, instead of focusing on like, generic citizens who were benefitting from that oppression without conscious participation/realization due to the actions of the people doing the oppressing.

Tales has seen it work, even specifically with energy crises (Phantasia, Xillia). Arise just focuses on the stupidest parts, spending half its time telling you how evil the Lords are and the second half never shutting up about how the girl whose family one of them killed called them a mean name. The game tries to pull the "we don't hate because they're Renans, we hate because they're evil" but my god.

Jack Trades
Nov 30, 2010

I want whoever was responsible for writing the good parts of Tales of Berseria to write another game.

Caphi
Jan 6, 2012

INCREDIBLE
I have some good and bad news about Hearts, Xillia 2, and Zestiria.

The Colonel
Jun 8, 2013

I commute by bike!
scared to hear what jack trades' idea of the good parts of berseria is

Jack Trades
Nov 30, 2010

The Colonel posted:

scared to hear what jack trades' idea of the good parts of berseria is

Most of it.
I could do without Maligou or the child, but the former isn't that bad and the latter is maybe more interesting if you've played other games before.

Everything related to Velvet was very good, and the "return home" chapter was exceptional.

EDIT: Oh and the ending of the game was the typical "kill god with the power of friendship" but it was fine, and it also seemed that I was missing a lot of context because I haven't played any of the other games.

Jack Trades fucked around with this message at 20:10 on Apr 25, 2024

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

Jack Trades posted:

I want whoever was responsible for writing the good parts of Tales of Berseria to write another game.
berseria had two writers. one of them works at square now and was involved on ff7 remake and triangle strategy. the other did work on arise as well as, uhhh,

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=M1toRYcIDMA&t=1881s

Weird Pumpkin
Oct 7, 2007

Magilou rules though??

Looper
Mar 1, 2012

Inspector Gesicht
Oct 26, 2012

500 Zeus a body.

Xenoblade 3 had the entire party of six come together early on, and having all six of them engage in the side content. But what if a game had a roster that was Chrono Cross size or even Suikoden big, and they all spoke up in conversations. It'd be both annoying yet hilarious.

TheMightyBoops
Nov 1, 2016

Weird Pumpkin posted:

Magilou rules though??

Yeah. What the devil? Berseria was the only one I’ve ever finished and she’s one of the best characters.

ZenMasterBullshit
Nov 2, 2011

Restaurant de Nouvelles "À Table" Proudly Presents:
A Climactic Encounter Ending on 1 Negate and a Dream

Jack Trades posted:

Most of it.
I could do without Maligou or the child, but the former isn't that bad and the latter is maybe more interesting if you've played other games before.

Everything related to Velvet was very good, and the "return home" chapter was exceptional.

EDIT: Oh and the ending of the game was the typical "kill god with the power of friendship" but it was fine, and it also seemed that I was missing a lot of context because I haven't played any of the other games.

There's no context from the other games
Everything in it is directly stated to the player lol

And Velvets arc doesn't work without Laphicet as a character. He's entirely related to her.

Bussamove
Feb 25, 2006

Weird Pumpkin posted:

Magilou rules though??

Seriously, how can you dislike Magilou? She’s the best/worst.

Catgirl Al Capone
Dec 15, 2007

berseria is related to zestiria but the only thing you'll get out of the former from playing the latter beforehand is "oh so that's how that happened", it's very standalone

Looper
Mar 1, 2012
you're all responding to jack trades, surely you have something better to do today

Joey McChrist
Aug 8, 2005

magilou is great. sounds like a skill issue to me

Buck Wildman
Mar 30, 2010

I am Metango, Galactic Governor

Looper posted:

you're all responding to jack trades, surely you have something better to do today

*looks up at job* no not really

fridge corn
Apr 2, 2003

NO MERCY, ONLY PAIN :black101:
It's okay, I didn't like any of the characters in berseria.

CullenDaGaDee
Aug 20, 2023

I got the will to drive myself sleepless
Magikazam

Radia
Jul 14, 2021

And someday, together.. We'll shine.
okay so this has me concerned about what Tales game should be next on my list. if i do it semi chronologically?

Joey McChrist
Aug 8, 2005

i'd just keep going chronologically so i could appreciate the QoL changes as they come in. you're on abyss now right? so it'd be vesperia next i think?

Joey McChrist
Aug 8, 2005

colonel and endorph could tell you more about tales of hearts r i'm not sure where that fits in as i never had a vita to play it :smith:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Phantasium
Dec 27, 2012

if you just mean chronologically in terms of order of release then sure that's probably fine. I'd still at least try Destiny or more importantly Eternia considering there's no real cost to trying them anymore.

if you mean actually timeline-wise, the only games that are related are zestiria and berseria (made an easy choice because Zestiria is crap), tales of destiny 1 and 2, tales of xillia 1 and 2, and like vaguely symphonia and phantasia in that symphonia is a "prequel" to the degree that the events are a creation myth in phantasia and the details don't matter.

honestly though symphonia to abyss to vesperia are the ones you'll feel the most QoL throughline with, otherwise feel free to jump around.