Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Caphi
Jan 6, 2012

INCREDIBLE
In my experience, if you mention Dawn of the New World, Symphonia fans will call it a travesty but people who didn't like Symphonia will call it flawed but interesting, both of which actually made me interested in seeing it for myself (but not enough to have to keep caring about the lore and setting of Symphonia).

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

kirbysuperstar
Nov 11, 2012

Let the fools who stand before us be destroyed by the power you and I possess.
lloyd is a WAR CRIMINAL

Inspector Gesicht
Oct 26, 2012

500 Zeus a body.

The only word I have to go on is Majuular, who hated it. He's currently doing that excellent series on Ultima.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=q_RsT0ulsfI

CAPTAIN CAPSLOCK
Sep 11, 2001

Meowywitch posted:

nice troll

It's better. The story is bad for both, but at least Symphonia 2 plays better and has the pokemon aspect. Also Tenebrae constantly and rightfully dunking on these silly children.

The only thing Symphonia has going for it is nostalgia.

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

Inspector Gesicht posted:

The only word I have to go on is Majuular, who hated it. He's currently doing that excellent series on Ultima.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=q_RsT0ulsfI
this video has like five minutes of him saying a kid who gets beaten is a pussy rear end bitch that he wants to beat up, who he hates, that deserves to get beaten, etc. so i think the maker of this video is an rear end in a top hat.

Failboattootoot
Feb 6, 2011

Enough of this nonsense. You are an important mayor and this absurd contraption has wasted enough of your time.
Magilou is an annoying clown. I came around on her eventually once her story started coming out but there's a lot of game where she's just... an annoying clown.

Meowywitch
Jan 14, 2010

Fight for all that is beautiful in the world

CAPTAIN CAPSLOCK posted:

It's better. The story is bad for both, but at least Symphonia 2 plays better and has the pokemon aspect. Also Tenebrae constantly and rightfully dunking on these silly children.

how on earth is a game where all of the returning characters are level and equipment locked better?

CAPTAIN CAPSLOCK
Sep 11, 2001

Meowywitch posted:

how on earth is a game where all of the returning characters are level and equipment locked better?

pokemon

Also who gives a gently caress about the returning characters?

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

Meowywitch posted:

i mean all the returning characters are just temporary guest party members for a dungeon or so, whats it matter if theyre level/equipment locked

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

tales of symphonia 2 was originally planned to be a like, '100 years later' type sequel where the only living characters from the original game would be the half-elves and kratos. this would have probably been much better

Meowywitch
Jan 14, 2010

to be clear I like symphonia 2 but saying its better than the original is barking

Oxxidation
Jul 22, 2007
i never liked the leaf texture on emil's scarf. rubbed me the wrong way for some reason

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Endorph posted:

the paradox where a faithful localization makes a character more trans. twitter dudes are imploding rn

I was wondering about that. Is it bad because woke or good because not censorship. How can you decide??

Caphi
Jan 6, 2012

INCREDIBLE

CAPTAIN CAPSLOCK posted:

pokemon

Also who gives a gently caress about the returning characters?

I too care more about the idea of a Polwigle than Presea Combatir (unironic).

CAPTAIN CAPSLOCK
Sep 11, 2001

Meowywitch posted:

to be clear I like symphonia 2 but saying its better than the original is barking

Explain why the original is better

Story is bad
It's way too long
The gameplay is absolutely simple and boring

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

Meowywitch posted:

theyre both kind of mediocre games with some decent bits here and there but im a contrarian

kirbysuperstar
Nov 11, 2012

they're both better than..idk, tempest?

Caphi
Jan 6, 2012

INCREDIBLE
Tempest has some actual writing ideas.

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

tempest is funnier by accident

Meowywitch
Jan 14, 2010

you guys have the worst takes on tales games I stg

kirbysuperstar
Nov 11, 2012

Endorph posted:

tempest is funnier by accident

true, and it was novel seeing cel shading on the DS that early on

kirbysuperstar
Nov 11, 2012

Meowywitch posted:

i've played most of them but only finished phantasia sfc and arise lmao

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

Meowywitch posted:

what opinion do you want people to have

Meowywitch
Jan 14, 2010

Endorph posted:

what opinion do you want people to have

I dont know all I know is that I'm mad as hell and a huge stupid dork so I'm gonna just stop talking about this because it will just escalate my childish displeasure

Caphi
Jan 6, 2012

INCREDIBLE
Realtalk: Tempest is the only Tales game where they do a whole racism thing and actually have you play as a member of the oppressed race (Arise doesn't count because it pivots to how everyone hates Renans).

SyntheticPolygon
Dec 20, 2013

Failboattootoot posted:

Magilou is an annoying clown. I came around on her eventually once her story started coming out but there's a lot of game where she's just... an annoying clown.

The people love clowns.

Meowywitch
Jan 14, 2010

Caphi posted:

Realtalk: Tempest is the only Tales game where they do a whole racism thing and actually have you play as a member of the oppressed race (Arise doesn't count because it pivots to how everyone hates Renans).

Uh excuse me but in Abyss Luke is a replica???

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

Caphi posted:

innocence also, sort of kind of a bit

CAPTAIN CAPSLOCK
Sep 11, 2001

Caphi posted:

Tempest R will come out for the Vita any day now :unsmith:

The Colonel
Jun 8, 2013

I commute by bike!

Endorph posted:

this video has like five minutes of him saying a kid who gets beaten is a pussy rear end bitch that he wants to beat up, who he hates, that deserves to get beaten, etc. so i think the maker of this video is an rear end in a top hat.

majuular's good at breaking down what makes a game he likes work but he can kinda fall into the regular dumb gaming youtube guy views on stuff sometimes so i'm not surprised he does on a video for a game nobody likes that goes the predictable angle of not liking it and being an hour of dunks. his thief video has the most unfortunate opening six minutes i've seen in a while since he made it before the embracer blowup and was operating from the regular pov of "i cant believe square enix ruined this series" with none of the context of how everything that went wrong with the reboot just came down to eidos not being able to hold down an actual game director

Electric Phantasm
Apr 7, 2011

YOSPOS

I respect Tempest for trying to make an anime OP using DS graphics

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=f_DXKNQzBmU

It helps the song is kinda catchy

Ibram Gaunt
Jul 22, 2009

Meowywitch posted:

Both games are poo poo from a freaking rear end!!!!!!!!!

Inspector Gesicht
Oct 26, 2012

500 Zeus a body.

Live a Live succeeds at the OP thing largely using the Octopath graphics.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4cZ1IE016KU

FireWorksWell
Nov 27, 2014

(It's you!)

Electric Phantasm posted:

I respect Tempest for trying to make an anime OP using DS graphics

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=f_DXKNQzBmU

It helps the song is kinda catchy

It is catchy, drat.

Reminds me of being really, really disappointed when I got Dawn of the New World and found that they put a different song in for the English release. The JP version had been stuck in my head for a long time.

Caphi
Jan 6, 2012

INCREDIBLE
VS genuinely slaps and so does its music video.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GyOy_CWNCpA

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

i know someone who was obsessed with misono (the singer) as a kid and vs was their favorite song and they had no idea it was made for a video game and they were really confused when i showed them the tempest op

GateOfD
Jan 31, 2023

So kawaii..
Pascal is the best

ZenMasterBullshit
Nov 2, 2011

Restaurant de Nouvelles "À Table" Proudly Presents:
A Climactic Encounter Ending on 1 Negate and a Dream

The Colonel posted:

majuular's good at breaking down what makes a game he likes work but he can kinda fall into the regular dumb gaming youtube guy views on stuff sometimes so i'm not surprised he does on a video for a game nobody likes that goes the predictable angle of not liking it and being an hour of dunks. his thief video has the most unfortunate opening six minutes i've seen in a while since he made it before the embracer blowup and was operating from the regular pov of "i cant believe square enix ruined this series" with none of the context of how everything that went wrong with the reboot just came down to eidos not being able to hold down an actual game director

Everyone should watch like the opening 4 mins of his Xenogears review because it's like...the ur-example of dumb idiot mad about Anime (And he's never seen anything he's talking about) who then goes "But I gave this one a shot and it's One of The Good Anime actually!"

He's kinda a dunce, basically.

Ibram Gaunt
Jul 22, 2009

I only remember him saying he thought it was just a run of the mill JRPG based on what he had heard, which is why he didn't bother playing it for so long. Which doesn't seem very 'anti anime' to me.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

theres a 'teenagers piloting robots with a complicated story' dig but its one line not five minutes. its kind of dumb but its not that bad in the scheme of things