Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Xandu
Feb 19, 2006

It's hard to be humble when you're as great as I am.
I don't really have any thoughts on this app except that their first example of somebody using it is to pay for emergency medical services.

https://www.kickstarter.com/projects/846824583/knoc-the-best-app-for-college-students-to-earn-mon?ref=category

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Redrum and Coke
Feb 25, 2006

wAstIng 10 bUcks ON an aVaTar iS StUpid

MrMenshevik posted:

You put the tracker on a thing and then you can use your phone to tell which direction the thing is in or maybe make the tracker go *beep beep beep.* A technology you may recognize from those disks they give you at Outback Steakhouse when it gets real busy.

So it's a tracker that can be used in the immediate proximity of your phone? Because Bluetooth has like a 10 meter range.

working mom
Jul 8, 2015

Xandu posted:

I don't really have any thoughts on this app except that their first example of somebody using it is to pay for emergency medical services.

Gotta pay off med school some how

Redrum and Coke
Feb 25, 2006

Sunber posted:

Gotta pay off med school some how

Can someone give CPR 2 my bro 4 some 🍺🍺. Plz reply soon.

Waffleman_
Jan 20, 2011

I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna!!!

I need an ambulance, but I have time to haggle a price.

Snowglobe of Doom
Mar 30, 2012

sucks to be right

Non Serviam posted:

Can someone give CPR 2 my bro 4 some 🍺🍺. Plz reply soon.

NO HOMO

Redrum and Coke
Feb 25, 2006

I can imagine it as a useful app for tutoring... But we know it'll end up being about weed.

The General
Mar 4, 2007

Non Serviam posted:

So it's a tracker that can be used in the immediate proximity of your phone? Because Bluetooth has like a 10 meter range.

For things like wallets and keys, that's about all the meters you need before "whelp. It's gone."

My friend lost her phone, and only found it because her fitbit or other tech thing reconnected to the device when she drove by.

Young Freud
Nov 26, 2006

Xandu posted:

https://www.kickstarter.com/projects/846824583/knoc-the-best-app-for-college-students-to-earn-mon?ref=category

Needs a "Grass" and "rear end" option.

So, what's everyone's thoughts on The Wolfe, an external GPU enclosure for laptops and other non-upgradable computers like Macs? Apparently, it's being run off a Nvidia GTX 950 or GTX 970 for the Pro version and has to be run off a Thunderbolt 2 connection get any good bus speed. Supposedly, there's a bunch of DIYers who have worked on eGPUs claiming you can go cheaper and not being hampered with an overpriced Nvidia card you can get for less than $300 from a store.

mobby_6kl
Aug 9, 2009

by Fluffdaddy

Young Freud posted:

Needs a "Grass" and "rear end" option.

So, what's everyone's thoughts on The Wolfe, an external GPU enclosure for laptops and other non-upgradable computers like Macs? Apparently, it's being run off a Nvidia GTX 950 or GTX 970 for the Pro version and has to be run off a Thunderbolt 2 connection get any good bus speed. Supposedly, there's a bunch of DIYers who have worked on eGPUs claiming you can go cheaper and not being hampered with an overpriced Nvidia card you can get for less than $300 from a store.

It's a viable product, at least. We know this because Razer, Alienware and others are already selling them. The only difference is that this is marketed as an Apple accessory, of course, and comes with a lovely, lastgen GPU.

Horse Clocks
Dec 14, 2004

Young Freud posted:

Cool, and I hope the eGPU tech/standard goes somewhere.

Buuuuuuut, they've already got an out of date GPU, and I very much suspect they've just taken the same thunderbolt to pcie adapter as the DIYers as their working prototype.

My money is on them having to buy licenses for USB-C, Thunderbolt 2 and 3, eGPU, and anything else remotely non-free, destroying their budget.

Young Freud
Nov 26, 2006

mobby_6kl posted:

It's a viable product, at least. We know this because Razer, Alienware and others are already selling them. The only difference is that this is marketed as an Apple accessory, of course, and comes with a lovely, lastgen GPU.

I hope you're not talking about the GTX 970, because that's a beast of a card for the price.

Now, the 950, that's looks to be pretty lovely being the budget card of the 960 and it's being the default seems like a bad choice as a graphical upgrade. It seems they should have gone with the 970 as the base card then a new 1070 as the Pro model. Also, the card itself is like $150 and less and here they're selling it $400. The PCIe adapter costs something like $75 and I doubt the enclosure itself costs that much to manufacture, so they're probably getting $100-$200 profit each one (pre-)sold.

cosmo321
Jan 6, 2011
I'd rather buy a Razer Core, or wait until eGPU technology matures more.

Germstore
Oct 17, 2012

A Serious Candidate For a Serious Time

mobby_6kl posted:

In defense of this product it's the same price as the alienware product and the alienware product doesn't include a gpu.

stringball
Mar 17, 2009

Xandu posted:

The only way I can see someone thinking that they need an EMT but can't call 911 because their phone has no paid cellular service and is on Wifi or just doesn't have it because of the area

However all phones made after a certain time must be able to call 911 regardless of plans so I dunno?

It's still pretty dumb though, also there's a bed icon so it's either for hookups or paying someone else to sleep for you???

Young Freud
Nov 26, 2006

stringball posted:

The only way I can see someone thinking that they need an EMT but can't call 911 because their phone has no paid cellular service and is on Wifi or just doesn't have it because of the area

However all phones made after a certain time must be able to call 911 regardless of plans so I dunno?

My guess is that they figured it should be used for non-emergency transport to the hospital or a doctor but either lines of communication got screwed up or the mockup artist didn't understand how that icon was to work and put in "I need to go the ER".

Of course, $10 is cheap compared to calling an actual ambulance to go to an emergency room.

stringball posted:

It's still pretty dumb though, also there's a bed icon so it's either for hookups or paying someone else to sleep for you???

Or looking for a cheap place to stay instead of going through Air BnB.

stringball
Mar 17, 2009

Young Freud posted:

Or looking for a cheap place to stay instead of going through Air BnB.

I got the impression it was mostly for college campuses

There's also 2 "help guys I'm locked out its so cold $0" putting $0 was either a mistake or they offer other services to let them in and warm them up

fishmech
Jul 16, 2006

by VideoGames
Salad Prong

stringball posted:

Literally any phone that's capable of running any sort of downloadable app is capable of calling 911 and other country emergency numbers, at any time. You'd have to still be using some phone from like 1992 that doesn't run on modern networks in the first place, to not be able to call 911.

goddamnedtwisto
Dec 31, 2004

If you ask me about the mole people in the London Underground, I WILL be forced to kill you
Fun Shoe

fishmech posted:

Literally any phone that's capable of running any sort of downloadable app is capable of calling 911 and other country emergency numbers, at any time. You'd have to still be using some phone from like 1992 that doesn't run on modern networks in the first place, to not be able to call 911.

Fairly sure it came in with the GSM standard (including being able to make an emergency call without a SIM) so I don't think you can buy a phone that *can't* make an emergency call now.

PathAsc
Nov 15, 2011

Hail SS-18 Satan may he cleanse us with nuclear fire

PISS TAPE IS REAL

goddamnedtwisto posted:

Fairly sure it came in with the GSM standard (including being able to make an emergency call without a SIM) so I don't think you can buy a phone that *can't* make an emergency call now.

We could Kickstart one that can't, advertise as the lack of the emergency call function keeps the lizard people from tracking you and it's for sovcits :freep:

I'll take my truckload of flexible funding money now.

Owlbear Camus
Jan 3, 2013

Maybe this guy that flies is just sort of passing through, you know?

PathAsc posted:

I'll take my truckload of flexible funding money now.

the bad news is its all in bit coins

PathAsc
Nov 15, 2011

PISS TAPE IS REAL

Otisburg posted:

poo poo, that would make sense.

Munchables
Feb 8, 2015

Ask/tell me about legal cannibalism

Otisburg posted:

or gold

PathAsc
Nov 15, 2011

PISS TAPE IS REAL

How about baht?

Bunni-kat
May 25, 2010

Service Desk B-b-bunny...
How can-ca-caaaaan I
help-p-p-p you?

PathAsc posted:

How about baht?

What a baht it?

Tears In A Vial
Jan 13, 2008

IndieGogo flexible funding campaign charges US$80 for piece of plastic and a youtube video, to replicate 19th Century parlour trick in your living room.

https://www.indiegogo.com/projects/world-s-first-hologram-recording-set-toys-technology#/

Bonus: Add an additional US$200 and get a piece of plain black fabric!

It works so well, they definitely didn't have to fake the last scene in their video.

Edit: Didn't link the parlour trick.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Pepper%27s_ghost

Tears In A Vial has a new favorite as of 19:35 on Aug 30, 2016

Redrum and Coke
Feb 25, 2006

Tears In A Vial posted:

IndieGogo flexible funding campaign charges US$80 for piece of plastic and a youtube video, to replicate 19th Century parlour trick in your living room.

https://www.indiegogo.com/projects/world-s-first-hologram-recording-set-toys-technology#/

Bonus: Add an additional US$200 and get a piece of plain black fabric!

It works so well, they definitely didn't have to fake the last scene in their video.

They've gotteb 3400usd already. Jesus....

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Waffleman_ posted:

I need an ambulance, but I have time to haggle a price.

If you're an American this is something you genuinely need to consider unfortunately. :smith:

stringball posted:

I assume its "I need a place to spend the night" because that is what you want to do. Sleep in a random person's house.

Instruction Manuel
May 15, 2007

Yes, it is what it looks like!

ImpAtom posted:

I assume its "I need a place to spend the night" because that is what you want to do. Sleep in a random person's house.

Holy crap. Yeah, nothing bad will ever come from that.

Morglon
Jan 13, 2010

Safe and sound, detached from reality.
Just like your posting.
You're so paranoid, it works out for both parties. One gets a place to sleep, the other one gets a bunch of free blood and organs.

dc3k
Feb 18, 2003

what.
https://www.kickstarter.com/projects/1782943986/pokemon-go-collectible-trading-card-game

This will end well.

Great Rumbler
Jan 30, 2013

For I am a dog, you see.

quote:

The only risks that are "The Pokemon Company" or "Niantic" block our project because it isn't an official Pokemon Product.

Other than that, we're good to go!

Edward_Tohr
Aug 11, 2012

In lieu of meaningful text, I'm just going to mention I've been exploding all day and now it hurts to breathe, so I'm sure you all understand.

Literally everything about that deserves to be quoted for emphasis.

DOMDOM
Apr 28, 2007

Fun Shoe
The cards are on english language.

monster on a stick
Apr 29, 2013

Edward_Tohr posted:

Literally everything about that deserves to be quoted for emphasis.

Like the creator's bio:

quote:

I'm 25 years old. I'm web digital marketing consultant. I'm a Pokemon Trading Card collector and reseller.

Web Digital Marketing Consultant :allears:

Galaga Galaxian
Apr 23, 2009

What a childish tactic!
Don't you think you should put more thought into your battleplan?!

quote:

web digital marketing consultant

Someone translate that into layman's terms. It sounds a lot like "pathetic blogger with some ads on his webpage" or the like.

sub supau
Aug 28, 2007

Galaga Galaxian posted:

Someone translate that into layman's terms. It sounds a lot like "pathetic blogger with some ads on his webpage" or the like.
"posts motivational macros and links to articles about 'entrepreneurialism' and 'productivity' on Facebook all day"

monster on a stick
Apr 29, 2013

TetsuoTW posted:

"posts motivational macros and links to articles about 'entrepreneurialism' and 'productivity' on Facebook all day"

Sir, I think you missed the part about him being a consultant.

He posts that stuff on LinkedIn.

Redrum and Coke
Feb 25, 2006

TetsuoTW posted:

Might list himself as "a creative" and an "entrepreneur".

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

WrenP-Complete
Jul 27, 2012

Non Serviam posted:

Might list himself as "a creative" and an "entrepreneur".

I'm still getting up to speed this morning, but are there a lot of professions/roles that end in -eur that aren't insufferable?